or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia CEO dodges premium Lumia questions, throws iPhone

Nokia CEO dodges premium Lumia questions, throws iPhone

post #1 of 61
Nokia CEO Stephen Elop was supposed to talk about the company's recently-launched low-cost Lumia devices, but instead he wound up dodging questions and tossing an iPhone to the floor.

Appearing on commercial TV station MTV3 in Finland, Elop faced questions from the show's host, Hjallis Harkimo, on the particulars of the Lumia 928, an as-yet-unannounced Lumia 920 variant. Harkimo pressed Elop on what consumers might expect from the handset.

"I don't know," Elop responded, laughing, "because we haven't announced a Lumia 928."

Elop then tried to steer the conversation back toward Nokia's newest offerings, a line of low-cost Lumia handsets meant to appeal to developing markets and entry-level consumers.

Elop appeared to be preparing to make a statement on future Nokia products when the Harkimo produced an iPhone from his coat pocket.

"I have an iPhone," he said, holding it up to Elop, "I don't want to have an iPhone."

As Harkimo explained that he wanted to have a Nokia phone, Elop seized the moment, and the iPhone. He tossed the device to the floor, proclaiming "it's gone."

Following up with Harkimo on Friday, Finnish blog Tietoviikko confirmed that the host's iPhone suffered no damage from being tossed. Harkimo says he has yet to receive a Nokia phone to replace the iPhone, which Elop promised him during the interview.

The 928 is said to feature an aluminum body instead of the polycarbonate frame that has typified Nokia's Lumia line. Along with the aluminum body, the 928 is said to feature a xenon and LED flash combination, and Nokia's purported goal is to position the device as a premium handset in the vein of Apple's iPhone or HTC's One flagship.

Unveiled last year with the launch of Windows Phone 8, Nokia's Lumia line has a lot riding on it for both Nokia and Microsoft. Lumias have become the de facto standard bearers for WP8, which is Microsoft's latest push to make an impact in the smartphone segment.

For Nokia, the handsets are an attempt at grabbing back some of the mobile phone market share that the company has lost to iOS and Android manufacturers, particularly Samsung. The line has sold relatively well since its release, moving 4.4 million units in the most recent quarter ? up from 2.9 million for the quarter previous ? and earning Nokia its first quarterly profit in some time.
post #2 of 61
Crazy bast*rd. Nokia phones are to be thrown into some dung. You a$$.
post #3 of 61

It looked staged to me. The interviewer sounds like he was paid, for what was overall a product plug rather than a real interview.

post #4 of 61
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
…Harkimo produced an iPhone from his coat pocket.

"I have an iPhone," he said, holding it up to Elop, "I don't want to have an iPhone."

As Harkimo explained that he wanted to have a Nokia phone, Elop seized the moment, and the iPhone. He tossed the device to the floor, proclaiming "it's gone."

Harkimo later sued Elop for theft and destruction of personal property, as any sane person would.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #5 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It looked staged to me. The interviewer sounds like he paid for what is essentially an ad plug rather than a real interview.

Definitely it is staged Ananth.  Its iPhone who brought a sudden death to Nokia. Its all Drama. Nokia phones are to be thrown with the crappy OS and some cigarette box design.

post #6 of 61

Let's say iPhone is gone.  Your Nokia is already gone for sure decades ago. Moron.

post #7 of 61
I would have gone outside and keyed his Mercedes.
post #8 of 61
You won't win any consumers with antics like that. Nokia is toast.
post #9 of 61

I am really happy to be an Apple Customer.  Apple never play this kind of cheap tricks.  Now Nokia is also proving that it is as crappy as Samsung by directly attacking Apple.  Happy that Apple is behaving "aristocratic." 

post #10 of 61
Quote:
The line has sold relatively well since its release, moving 4.4 million units in the most recent quarter, up from 2.9 million for the quarter previous, and earning Nokia its first quarterly profit in some time.

Careful here...

Yes, they sold 4.4m in Q4 and 2.9m in Q3. But that piece of information in highly misleading, as Q3 was an entire quarter with the entire Lumia line being running the un-upgradeable WP7 and WP8 already announced... For a better data point look at Q2 in which they sold 4 million WP7 devices. So, the actual increase was from 4m in a low season to 4.4m in the biggest season and a launch quarter. That is 10% more devices. Unfortunately, Q4 was globally over 50% bigger than Q2. So, they lost market share.

Also, as many analysts have identified correctly, Nokia was going to great length to make sure they can present a black number. They achieved that by accounting for the entire sell off of their corporate HQ buildings under the devices unit, creating a fictitious smart devices category that includes their non-smart Asha devices and not paying any licensing fees for WP7/8 (the subsidies received by MS were greater than licensing fees paid to MS). If removing all this rubbish from their creative accounting, experts believe Nokia to lose 15-20% on every Lumia device sold (and their even cheaper devices were not even available in Q4).

So, just to summarize: Market share went down and no real profit either.
post #11 of 61
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post
Apple never play this kind of cheap tricks.

post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh yeah!  Here is one intelligent. Apple says when their things are the best.  Here Nokia is not the best but the worst.  There is a clear difference.

post #13 of 61
Elop is like Whitman - Thick as a brick.

It is so embarrassing when these disturbed leaders are supposed to be nice and cozy in a sofa. They can't behave like ordinary people.
All their life they been that guy that was never invited to parties, because they were unable to even have a normal conversation...
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Happy that Apple is behaving "aristocratic." 

What do you call yourselves?

Apple: "The Aristocrats!"

lol.gif

post #15 of 61
Staged. No one who has an iPhone wants a Nokia. I left Nokia for iPhone and I'm not looking back.
post #16 of 61
Unwise, Nokia; paying for a broken iPhone might well eat up all your profit for the quarter!
post #17 of 61
The Microsoft executive tree is stellar. Ballmer, Elop, Maritz. All delusional and unable to execute.
post #18 of 61

Dropping a competitor's product is amateurish and theatrical. Elop is turning out to be a disappointment.

post #19 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

The Microsoft executive tree is stellar. Ballmer, Elop, Maritz. All delusional and unable to execute.

You may not like Microsoft products. But you cannot say Maritz and Elop didn't execute when they were there.

post #20 of 61

Jerk.

post #21 of 61
I remember lusting after the Porsche 928 when it first came out. Younger folk (ie most of you!) would have no idea.
post #22 of 61
Quote:

It looked staged to me. The interviewer sounds like he was paid, for what was overall a product plug rather than a real interview.

Saying "I don't want an iPhone" while interviewing the CEO of Nokia is what is known as a softball question. If he really didn't want an iPhone, he'd have a Nokia Lumia Ballmer edition already.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 61

What is it with these executives losing their minds every time they hear the word iPhone?!

post #24 of 61
If some CEO took my phone and threw it on the floor, that person would have a SEVERE problem on their hands. ELOP, that was COMPLETELY unprofessional. Maybe that's why Nokia is sucking wind.
post #25 of 61

But Apple is dead?

But Apple is dead, right? What is Nokia doing about Samsung?

post #26 of 61
I guess Nokia has to go around and take people's iPhones away from them and give them a free Nokia phone to gain market share. Hmmmmmmmmm......

So ELOP took away a premium iPhone and gives the guy a low end Nokia? I would've asked for some money along with it to make up the difference.
post #27 of 61
What do you expect? He is a former Microsoft VP. Standard operating procedure for Steve Ballmer is to throw a chair any time someone says "iPhone".
post #28 of 61
Windows Phone is a non-starter. These clowns are willing to do anything at this point.
post #29 of 61

How to appear weak an inept 101. Sign up now, classes are limited.

post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You may not like Microsoft products. But you cannot say Maritz and Elop didn't execute when they were there.

I agree, I meant their collective experience since leaving. Maritz took VMware's focus into nonsense products (Sliderocket) amd Elop has done next to nothing at Nokia. 

post #31 of 61
If you can't beat them, hate them
post #32 of 61
Quote:

First off, this was in Finland.  So, they have their pride to deal with.  Nokia has done horribly since the iPhone and Android phones have come out as between Apple and Samsung, Nokia is dying on the vine, so a Finnish interviewer is going to promote Nokia, which is based in Finland.

Secondly, the interviewer is nothing more than some idiot that interviews people, he's not an industry expert, he's probably got VERY little practical experience in the IT world and probably doesn't know that much on how to decide what smartphone to use since he probably doesn't use that much in terms of functionality.

What do people inherently want?  FREE (EXPENSIVE) SMARTPHONES.    He obviously wanted a new flagship smartphone for FREEEEEEEE!!

So, since Nokia isn't announcing a HIGH end product, they are announcing a LOW END product, and the interviewer and ELOP just did some rather cheap production staged BS to act like this new Nokia phone is superior. 

Cheap publicity and I'm sure there are enough dumb gullible people that will probably buy a CHEAP Nokia a phone because of this interview.

post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What is it with these executives losing their minds every time they hear the word iPhone?!

Jealousy.  No matter what they try to do, they just can't seem to get their company to make a decent product because these Android phones are nothing more than copy cats of an iPhone and Samsung is the one that actually makes money from Android phones for one very good reason.  They make most of the actual components inside.  If I were Nokia or any of these other phone mfg, I wouldn't get pissed at Apple, I would get pissed at Samsung, because what Samsung is getting away with is what is called CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

Samsung should just stay a component supplier and make money that way instead of competing with their component customers.  Samsung knows what components everyone else is using before they release a product, Samsung knows and can control the pricing model, and Samsung can also control the delivery of such components.  This is a VERY deceitful business practice and the Government, US or Korean, should clamp down on this practice, but since they are a South Korean company, the South Korean government looks the other way.   I don't know if this business practice would last long in this country.  I don't remember too many component suppliers that would compete with their customers by making a similar finished good.  That's like Intel coming out with their own line of fully assembled PCs and Laptops and trying to sell against HP, Dell, etc.  I just don't know how long they could get away with that business practice.

Nokia's biggest threat is not Apple, but Samsung.  

post #34 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

What do you expect? He is a former Microsoft VP. Standard operating procedure for Steve Ballmer is to throw a chair any time someone says "iPhone".

I didn't realize ELOP was a former Microsoft VP.  That would explain it.   personally, Microsoft's biggest competitor in the smartphone market is not Apple, it's Android.  Since both Windows and Android are open architecture lines where the OS is put on various mfg hardware.  The difference is that Android phones are modified by each mfg, whereas Windows phones aren't.  Windows phones only differ from the hardware they put the OS on.

post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

I remember lusting after the Porsche 928 when it first came out. Younger folk (ie most of you!) would have no idea.

Yeah, I remember the Porsche 928.  It was a POS.  I've been in one.  In its day, it did look cool on the outside and it was fairly cool on the inside, but over time they fell apart.  It took them a while to get that car together and they finally killed it off.    The first engines only had 219 HP, which for a V8 is nothing.  You can easily get that much HP out of a 4 cylinder engine.   Porsche has too many parts that are carried over from the VW product line, hence the 914.  That was another POS.

The new Porsche's aren't too bad, if you like rear engine cars.   I wouldn't buy one, but the new ones are pretty decent, they just have to get away from sharing too many parts with VW, that's what I don't like about them.  Their interiors scream VW, which sucks.  It's like buying a Lexus and noticing a lot of parts are from a freaking Toyota.

You know the joke about Porsche owners?

What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine? 

The Porcupine has the pricks on the outside?  LOL.   Sorry, but I couldn't resist.  

post #36 of 61

I would be interested in finding out amongst these journalists, interviewers, and financial analysts how many of them get free devices from the various mfg.  Unfortunately, we don't know who gets what from whom, because that alone might have a BIG impact on who they promote.

I'm sure Samsung and some of these other companies trying to get attention have to give away free devices to these people in the media.  Apple generally doesn't give much free product away.  They can't afford to since they all want or maybe some of them "EXPECT" to get one for free just because someone else is desperate enough.  Samsung, I'm sure, gives a LOT of free stuff away to get media attention.  They are that desperate for attention, just like Nokia seems to be nowadays.

I think that each article and video posted by the media should have a caption that mentions what free products they've received so at least we know if they're palms are being greased, so to speak.

post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Seeing as how iPhone is taking up a massive chunk of the entire smartphone industry profits, and how badly Windows phone is doing, it's understandable. 

post #38 of 61
Elop, sounds like Flop.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #39 of 61
That reporter was awfully belligerent; downright rude. Here Elop is announcing something people had been working on for a while, trying to bring a product to market that they hope will feed their babies, and the reporter is dismissively rude of what they've worked on without a second's thought.

Yes... Nokia is probably gone the way of the Walkman, but dude... common courtesy. If I were production manager, I'd fire that guy. Oh yeah, he's ugly too.
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Harkimo later sued Elop for theft and destruction of personal property, as any sane person would.

Outside of the USA, folks don't do that
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia CEO dodges premium Lumia questions, throws iPhone