or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple buys 'indoor GPS' company WifiSLAM for $20M

Apple buys 'indoor GPS' company WifiSLAM for $20M - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Being able to more accurately pinpoint where I am, would make, "location aware alerts," far more usable for me.

Let's say I want to remind myself to bring something with me when I leave my apartment, (which I have done several times.)
The way a GPS, "remind me when I leave home," alert, currently works, is it will pop up for me when I am a block away from my apartment. Really not good enough for this purpose.
If I were able to set a reminder for when I leave my apartment, or when I am a specific distance from my Wireless Modem, I could get far more use out of it.

Similarly, if I am out and want to remind myself to do something I can only do on my desktop computer, I might not want the reminder to alert me until I am as close as a few feet away.
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by richisgame View Post

Being able to more accurately pinpoint where I am, would make, "location aware alerts," far more usable for me.

Let's say I want to remind myself to bring something with me when I leave my apartment, (which I have done several times.)
The way a GPS, "remind me when I leave home," alert, currently works, is it will pop up for me when I am a block away from my apartment. Really not good enough for this purpose.
If I were able to set a reminder for when I leave my apartment, or when I am a specific distance from my Wireless Modem, I could get far more use out of it.

Similarly, if I am out and want to remind myself to do something I can only do on my desktop computer, I might not want to alert me until I am as close as a few feet away.

Broadcom announced a new chipset middle of last year that supports just that geo-fencing feature you want. It's expected to start shipping in smartphones sometime this year and could open up a plethora of new features and applications based on your indoor or outdoor location. The downside is that users will have to be comfortable with the idea of their travels being tracked and likely saved. It might be a tough sell for some.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/126843-think-gps-is-cool-ips-will-blow-your-mind
melior diabolus quem scies
post #43 of 83

Thanks for the link!

Quote:
The downside is that users will have to be comfortable with the idea of their travels being tracked and likely saved. It might be a tough sell for some.

Sounds like it might not be a, "big brother is watching me," risk after all.

From the article...

Quote:
Before we begin, it’s important to point out that — just like GPS — IPS doesn’t necessarily betray your location to third parties. IPS can be entirely local to your smartphone (or other portable navigation device).

And besides, you could probably be able to turn it on and off when you need it! 1smile.gif

post #44 of 83
Quote:

Thanks for the link!

From the article...

And besides, you could probably be able to turn it on and off when you need it! 1smile.gif

I meant to take advantage of the applications built to use the afforded capabilities. You're right that you wouldn't need to share location data simply to use indoor location supplied by the Broadcom chip. . .

...unless the vendor's OS makes it a requirement.1hmm.gif
post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Something that will be of increasing importance, however, is elevation data: which floor of the mall or hospital or parking garage is the person or destination located on?  Will the WifiSLAM tech provide such information?  Hopefully so!

I have not seen any information on how it works but I assume it is using something similar to cell tower triangulation but with wifi. In order for something like this to work the exact location of the wifi hot spot must be known in advance. If that data is available then it could triangulate in 3D space. Even though the wifi may be locked, as long as it is broadcasting SSID you should be able to get a response from it for timing but the accuracy could be an issue depending on the latency. I think it is pretty clear that this is a technology that will need to be installed in public buildings with the cooperation of the building owner.

Have a look at this video -- it is difficult to watch, but explains the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdvjvla1Tc

A demonstration starts at about 24 minutes in -- but the whole video is informative.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Have a look at this video -- it is difficult to watch, but explains the process:

A demonstration starts at about 24 minutes in -- but the whole video is informative.

Thanks for finding that one Dick, even tho it's miserable to watch as you mentioned. Their other "official" videos were already pulled.
post #47 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

It may not be a generational thing…

Many sellers have offered online grocery shopping with competitive pricing  & free delivery... Over the years.  None have been really successful, and, AIR, studies were made to determine why.

One, obvious reason is that the housewife wanted to squeeze the tomatoes and tap/smell the cantalopes.

A very prominent finding was unexpected -- the housewife wanted to get out of the house and sociaalize with her friends (I often see them, leaning on their carts, walking side-by-side, blocking the aisles).

Also, a single friend found the supermarket an excellent place to pick up girls.

Many malls are social hangouts -- offering everything you could want to connect with friends in a safe, convenient, temperature-controlled environment,

I know you don't mean it, and by your previous comments on the forum it's probably just because you are incredibly old but … this is one offensive, sexist post.  

Only "housewives" shop for groceries? (until some dude want to "pick up a girl" I guess) 1rolleyes.gif

I think you should leave the 1960's behind once in a while and think about what life is like today.  

I admit, that my post is in someways sexist -- especially the part about picking up girls.

However, the study mentioned was often referred to by my fellow employees at IBM Distribution Development.  Among other things we were developing systems for supermarkets -- including the first cash register replacement automatic checkout system in 1971.  

The study found that the majority of supermarket shoppers were housewives, stranded at home with the kids, with little, or no, adult contact.  To them, they could spend an hour, or so, in the supermarket socializing with a friend as the kids ran wild through the store.

The venue may have changed to include the mall, but the social force motivating the stranded parent (house person if you must) remains the same.

I challenge you to go to any Costco style store during the week...  I submit you will see several instances of 2 house persons, leaning on their carts, chatting -- while walking side-by-side down the center of the aisle -- blocking traffic in both directions...  I've seen this as recently as Friday 03/22/13.

post #48 of 83
This was for the patents. I don't think it is safe to say that Apple is going to be introducing WiFi location. WiFi is actually not so good for location, and there have been people doing it for years.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

This was for the patents. I don't think it is safe to say that Apple is going to be introducing WiFi location. WiFi is actually not so good for location, and there have been people doing it for years.

I don't know that there are any patents. I did find one patent application tho.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156631/apple-buys-indoor-gps-company-wifislam-for-20m#post_2299664
post #50 of 83
Quote:

Thanks for the link!

Quote:
The downside is that users will have to be comfortable with the idea of their travels being tracked and likely saved. It might be a tough sell for some.

From the article...

Quote:
Before we begin, it’s important to point out that — just like GPS — IPS doesn’t necessarily betray your location to third parties. IPS can be entirely local to your smartphone (or other portable navigation device).

I posted a link to this video:

This should set your minds at ease.

It is not actually communicating over WiFi! -- Rather it is sensing the amalgamation of all the WiFi noise * (signals) in an area to create a fingerprint of a pinpointed location (within 8.2 feet).That fingerprint is unique (adjusted for time, WiFi activity, etc.).  Then, the fingerprint is sent as a query to a [Apple] server to determine:

1) where you are

2) what's around you

3) where you are likely to go

As a response, your iDevice receives a fingerprint map ** of the area.  Then as you move about, the iDevice uses the compass, accelerometer and magnometer on the device to determine where you are (or anticipate where you are going) -- with no further communication with the server (tracking you).

* The noise can include other noise such as a magnetic field fingerprint in addition to the WiFi fingerprint to refine the position.

** The generation of fingerprint maps can be done manually (someone walking the walk) or crowd sourced (someone, at some point in time, has walked that segment of the fingerprint map) -- or, for secure areas, the fingerprint map can be unavailable.

You don't even need a physical diagram/blueprint of the area -- from aggregated traversal data, the servers can determine where the walls and doorways are -- and generate a diagram of the area.

This is pretty hot stuff!

post #51 of 83
post #52 of 83
In the "company that can't win" department:

I expect Apple to kick Skyhook to the curb at some point.
post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

In the "company that can't win" department:

I expect Apple to kick Skyhook to the curb at some point.

I thought Apple had been using their own solution for years.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #54 of 83
Quote:

That is discouraging. So you have to walk around recording all the hallways then upload before it can tell you where you are?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought Apple had been using their own solution for years.

dAFAIK they use Skyhook database. There was an article sometime back that said Apple had already dumped them but I also thought Apple was still buying data from them. You could be right.

EDIT: Not only could you be right, you are right. Thanks for noting it Soli.

Edit2: I think I found where my confusion came from. I found that even tho Apple may not be using Skyhook data any longer they still have a contract with them, apparently thru at least 2014?

from Bloomberg:
"Also, in the next few years, Skyhook will stop receiving payments from Apple. When Apple decided to use its own location technology in 2009, Steve Jobs told Morgan that he would honor the terms of the five-to-seven-year deal."
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/24/13 at 6:03pm
post #56 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

That is discouraging. So you have to walk around recording all the hallways then upload before it can tell you where you are?

You didn't watch the whole thing...

Someone has to:

1) upload the diagram of the building and walk all the halls

or

2) has to have walked some segment at some point in time -- this can be crowd-sourced

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 3/24/13 at 6:42pm

post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

I can really appreciate the potential for this; I can also see a lot of reasons to be leery of how it could be abused. Part of that may be the generation gap in my case; I'm just not "social enough" to want to know what my friends are doing or where they're at at any given time.

I'd rather see this being adapted for use as other people have mentioned - mapping hospitals, malls, museums, etc. But, I'm realistic enough to know that things will develop in so many ways I can't even begin to predict or imagine. Time will tell whether or not they're good directions or not.

Absolutely Dick (hi)

I'm sitting in Prague airport right now trying to figure out where the kiosk is that I'm supposed to use to checkin. Would help to have a stand-alone GPS app that delivers indoors.
post #58 of 83
Quote:

I can really appreciate the potential for this; I can also see a lot of reasons to be leery of how it could be abused. Part of that may be the generation gap in my case; I'm just not "social enough" to want to know what my friends are doing or where they're at at any given time.

I'd rather see this being adapted for use as other people have mentioned - mapping hospitals, malls, museums, etc. But, I'm realistic enough to know that things will develop in so many ways I can't even begin to predict or imagine. Time will tell whether or not they're good directions or not.
Hi Dick,
I'm sitting right now in Prague airport trying to figure out where the kiosk is for me to check in to my Lufthansa flight. Would be great to have built-in to my European Navigon stand-alone GPS app a version for navigating the airport, complete with flight status updates on the fly should I have cell or wifi coverage, of course, all tied into Apple's Passbook. A boon for frequent travellers and Apple geeks alike! Dan
post #59 of 83
Is Dick a nickname for Dave or am I missing something?

post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd vote your comment up but this forum software absolutely sucks and isn't possible on iOS.

Quote:

Sure it is.

Unfortunately Ireland, HOW to do it is always kept secret by those who know. They don't want the proletariat getting too uppity. 1wink.gif

Edited by v5v - 3/25/13 at 1:45am
post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's not necessary to say "much maligned" before iOS 6 Maps. Because, when does it ever stop being that if Apple keeps making small, incremental improvements? Think Final Cut X or MobileMe, which were incrementally fixed. You guys -- all of you AI staff writers -- need to just call it Maps. Believe me, people have deep memories for negative sound bites. Most people still remember the Doonsbury comic lampooning the (original) Newton's handwriting recognition when in fact, after years of incremental improvements, Apple had some of the best handwriting recognition available by the time the MessagePad 130 shipped.

That's great. Now if they'd just do that in the lab instead of on my device, using willing testers instead of paying customers, all would be well.

To me that's kinda like your car manufacturer saying, "Yeah, we're sorry your turn signals often flash on the wrong side and your brakes sometimes lock up without warning, but we're working on it and hope to have those issues resolved in a future software update." That car may eventually work fine, but how do you suppose owners are going to feel in the meantime?

post #62 of 83
rob53, that's a cool idea and Apple should implement that as a feature.

I also see this as useful for home/work use, e.g. specific reminders when I walk into my home office, versus reminders when I walk into my bedroom, or work office or meeting rooms : down to the room level not just the current wifi "address". I currently use location-based reminders but I wish they were more location-precise.
post #63 of 83
Cool. Now after I'm through with my $500 million dollar heist, I can use my app to determine the best possible exit strategy out of the bank safes, without any pre-planning. Is there a security guard detector add-on?
post #64 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Is there a security guard detector add-on?

Maybe as an in-app purchase?
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #65 of 83
Quote:

You had to be there!

post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Quote:

Hi Dick,
I'm sitting right now in Prague airport trying to figure out where the kiosk is for me to check in to my Lufthansa flight. Would be great to have built-in to my European Navigon stand-alone GPS app a version for navigating the airport, complete with flight status updates on the fly should I have cell or wifi coverage, of course, all tied into Apple's Passbook. A boon for frequent travellers and Apple geeks alike! Dan

Hi Dan,

You're really confusing forum members by replying to Dave's posts with "Hi Dick"...

See what you get for the flying commercial, Ha!

Years ago, a friend let me take control of his Debonaire after we took off from Long Beach… It was quite an unnerving sensation flying over water when you couldn't easily see any land.

post #67 of 83
Quote:

I know you don't mean it, and by your previous comments on the forum it's probably just because you are incredibly old but … this is one offensive, sexist post.  

Only "housewives" shop for groceries? (until some dude want to "pick up a girl" I guess) 1rolleyes.gif

I think you should leave the 1960's behind once in a while and think about what life is like today.  

Exactly what is sexist about this?  I think what is necessary is for you to join a reasonable discussion.  The younger generation has grown up with absurd definitions of sexism and racism.  I could be called a racist if a quote a statistic about a minority that seems unfavorable.  I could be called a sexist for saying, "housewives like to shop for groceries."  How is this sexist?  Do you think it is sexist that military commercials depict three soldiers, two of whom are women, when the actual ratio of women to men in the military is nothing close to this?  Housewives DO shop, and I challenge you to visit any Starbucks or Grocery store in the afternoon and put check marks next to men, women, and women of a particular age.  You will find a disproportionate number of women who fit that description.  Guess what?  Housewives not only exist, but their existence does not preclude the existence of house husbands...yet the fact remains that housewives are a statistically relevant proportion.  Do you deny that despite the self righteous "progressiveness" of our culture that housewives still outnumber househusbands by an obscene number?  Are you going to ignore this...is it inconvenient to your world view?  The other day my girlfriend and I (is it sexist to call her a girlfriend, since she is a woman?...) entered a Starbucks.  By "the other day" I mean last Thursday.  At 1pm.  I counted 5 men, including myself.  There were over thirty women...all of them middle aged.  And no, it wasn't a cohesive group.  They were out for the day.  My girlfriend, who has a Masters in Social Work, said, "wow, look at all the housewives."  I'm sorry..is that sexist?  Should she have said, "wow, look at all the people who by pure chance happen to be predominantly middle aged women, many of whom have strollers, and are here during normal business hours"?  Is that what she should have said? 

First, you need to get beyond the idea that the word "Housewife" is equivalent to the "N" word.  It is a descriptive term, and true of a very, very large portion of the population.  Second, learn what sexism means.  Sexism means drawing DEFINITE conclusions about the cognitive potential, proclivities and inclinations of a person based on sex.  It's not sexism for me to say, "she probably won't work in construction."  "SHE" probably won't.  It's not sexism for me to say, "there are over thirty middle aged women in this Starbucks and only five men...the most likely scenario is not CHANCE.  Chance is 50/50.  Something is causing this.  Only an idiot would shield his eyes to the most likely, most common cultural scenario...these women are here because they live or work at home.  This is astronomically more likely than saying, "more women like to take a lunch break at Starbucks than men." 

Facts are facts.  By calling it sexist, you admit to having a negative opinion of Housewives.  That's their choice.  It's not a choice I would make if I were a woman, nor one my girlfriend would or has made, but it is their choice. 

He was profiling...if there are disproportionate numbers of a particular gender or ethnic group in a given location, there's a reason.  He wasn't casting judgement on the reason, and you, little boy, need to learn the difference.  You need to learn that it's not "living in the sixties versus living in the self righteous we know everything because it just happens to be the present year."  If profiling is wrong, why did you assume he was OLD?  So...you're age bigotted?  Is that what I should accuse you of?

Get over it.  Housewives shop, hang out at the store, stand in the aisles, congregate at Starbucks with their strollers, and nothing you can do about it makes it good, bad, immoral, or sexist.  There is a HUGE proportion of the population that is a housewife.  Or...do you think women far outnumber men at grocery stores in the afternoon during working hours because all those women just happen to live closer to a grocery store by chance?  Stop letting your superficial understanding of ideology wars make your observations for you.  Open your eyes the next time you're in a Starbucks or grocery store during business hours on a weekday.  Make your OWN observations.  Do some very quick and easy research on google.  Try to come up with another valid reason why there might be a disproportionate number of women at those places in the afternoon.  Let me know what ridiculous thing you come up with.

The only person who brought judgment to the table is you.  Take a good look in the mirror.  No, it's not the sixties...and guess what?  Women are still housewives a very large proportion of the time, and living closer to the grocery store than men is not a statistically sound observation.  Get real.  And please don't throw statistics about women in the workforce.  The argument isn't, "women are usually housewives."  The argument is, "women are still housewives far, far more often than men are, and this is a reasonable statistic to rely on when judging why there are thirty middle aged women to five men at a store in the afternoon."

Young people wield accusations of sexism and bigotry are like a kid with his father's gun.  That thing is loaded, kid.  Know what it is you're slinging around.

post #68 of 83
Quote:

Hi Dan,

You're really confusing forum members by replying to Dave's posts with "Hi Dick"...

Years ago, a friend let me take control of his Debonaire after we took off from Long Beach… It was quite an unnerving sensation flying over water when you couldn't easily see any land.

Sorry bout that. I just emailed a vivid Google map of our position over Iceland at 38,000 ft. Google maps were indispensable on my trip to Europe. Never needed cell or wifi coverage really - just downloaded Google map of the current region at hotel or wifi hotspot along the way, along with planned public transit, and GPS was quite enough to never get lost even without cell or wifi. Along with Navigon app, I was always "situationally aware" as we pilots like to say. Being able to zoom in and out in Google maps was something of beauty in every city I visited and was vastly improved with new graphics rendering. I don't like flying over water either, and always stay within gliding range, as you remember from your training. My Bonanza is being rebuilt and repainted as we speak, due to unfortunate engine outage last July. Landed in cornfield, which almost totally destroyed all bodywork and engine -- ouch. Not hurt thank God. Take care.
post #69 of 83
  •  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Quote:

Exactly what is sexist about this? 

Housewives shop, hang out at the store, stand in the aisles, congregate at Starbucks with their strollers, and nothing you can do about it makes it good, bad, immoral, or sexist.  There is a HUGE proportion of the population that is a housewife.  Or...do you think women far outnumber men at grocery stores in the afternoon during working hours because all those women just happen to live closer to a grocery store by chance?

It is kind of interesting that the businesspersons responsible for supermarket site selection and staffing:

• build the supermarkets close to where the "housewives" live
  • schedule the supermarkets shifts so that most employees are available when the "housewives" are likely to be shopping/socializing

post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Unfortunately Ireland, HOW to do it is always kept secret by those who know. They don't want the proletariat getting too uppity. 1wink.gif

1) By me stating that it's possible is pretty much the opposite of keeping it a secret.

2) I think the thumb-up icon is a big enough clue for Ireland. If not, TS gave him additional info about using the mobile version of the site which seems odd he wouldn't know exists by now.

post #71 of 83
Quote:

You had to be there!

Based on this thread I would have had to be hanging out with Timothy Leary.

post #72 of 83
Quote:

I would think your "so incredibly old" comment comes across as more offensive than his outmoded generalities of grocery shoppers. Dick's* comment wasn't negative toward housewives but your attitude toward not just old people, but incredibly old people is more curious. Dick is intelligent, funny and quick that he certainly breaks the mold of all the septuagenarian I recall interacting with.

* Wait, am I suppose to call him Dan now? I'm so confused¡

post #73 of 83
Quote:

Quote:

You had to be there!

Based on this thread I would have had to be hanging out with Timothy Leary.

Well, it goes back to the iP4.  Bagman bought one, around release day, and couldn't get a reliable cell signal.  He didn't want to buy a case, wanted the iPhone and tried everything -- bouncing bad and forth (to and fro, hither and yon, sturm und drang, dos y dos, Frick and Frack) between AT&T and Apple -- showing each that he got lousy reception... and no satisfaction!

AIR, he joined AI to state his problem and see if he could find a solution from the "experts" -- he really liked the iPhone and didn't want to diminish it with a case.

Of, course, he was immediately attacked by us, the AI regulars, as a heretic and a troll... how dare he badmouth perfect  Apple iPhone 4

In fact he was a mature individual with a problem -- seeking a solution rather than just abandoning the issue and moving on.

Several of us engaged him in reasoned dialog and, honestly, we had to admit that there was a problem with the iP4.

I don't remember what the exact resolution was -- but AIR, Bagman kept the iP4, has since bought newer model(s) and at least one iPad -- which he uses for Air Flight Navigation as a private pilot.

As an Apple fan, supporter, evangelist, shareholder, and a person -- I am happy with the outcome!

(I'm so lonely ;)

post #74 of 83
Quote:

Well, it goes back to the iP4.  Bagman bought one, around release day, and couldn't get a reliable cell signal.  He didn't want to buy a case, wanted the iPhone and tried everything -- bouncing bad and forth (to and fro, hither and yon, sturm und drang, dos y dos, Frick and Frack) between AT&T and Apple -- showing each that he got lousy reception... and no satisfaction!

AIR, he joined AI to state his problem and see if he could find a solution from the "experts" -- he really liked the iPhone and didn't want to diminish it with a case.

Of, course, he was immediately attacked by us, the AI regulars, as a heretic and a troll... how dare he badmouth perfect  Apple iPhone 4

In fact he was a mature individual with a problem -- seeking a solution rather than just abandoning the issue and moving on.

Several of us engaged him in reasoned dialog and, honestly, we had to admit that there was a problem with the iP4.

I don't remember what the exact resolution was -- but AIR, Bagman kept the iP4, has since bought newer model(s) and at least one iPad -- which he uses for Air Flight Navigation as a private pilot.

As an Apple fan, supporter, evangelist, shareholder, and a person -- I am happy with the outcome!

(I'm so lonely 1wink.gif

1) You have an amazing memory and gift for words, Old Man. 1biggrin.gif

2) To my credit: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/111010/apple-sued-over-iphone-4-reception-issues/320#post_1666704

post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Quote:

Hi Dan,

Sorry bout that. I just emailed a vivid Google map of our position over Iceland at 38,000 ft. Google maps were indispensable on my trip to Europe. Never needed cell or wifi coverage really - just downloaded Google map of the current region at hotel or wifi hotspot along the way, along with planned public transit, and GPS was quite enough to never get lost even without cell or wifi. Along with Navigon app, I was always "situationally aware" as we pilots like to say. Being able to zoom in and out in Google maps was something of beauty in every city I visited and was vastly improved with new graphics rendering. I don't like flying over water either, and always stay within gliding range, as you remember from your training. My Bonanza is being rebuilt and repainted as we speak, due to unfortunate engine outage last July. Landed in cornfield, which almost totally destroyed all bodywork and engine -- ouch. Not hurt thank God. Take care.

Pappy Beale, my flight instructor had 10,000 hours and was pretty set in his ways -- e.g., teaching spins, though not required.  We flew out of El Monte, CA airport with some weird logistics.  I remember, I was on my final with Pappy in the back seat -- he jerked the stick so we were over a dry river bed parallel to the runway... then he cut the power...   we were heading for a freeway bridge that spanned the river bed.

"Whatcha' gonna' do?" asked Pappy.

I said I don't know -- try to make it over the freeway and land on the other side...

Pappy said: "You'll never make it... just fly under the bridge and center the plane so it knocks the wings off."

Then, he goosed the throttle!

That's as close as I came to an unplanned landing...

It's great that you were able to use Google Maps as you describe -- I wish Apple Maps had been up to the job!

post #76 of 83
Quote:

* Wait, am I suppose to call him Dan now? I'm so confused¡

I would call him Tommy...

post #77 of 83
Quote:

Quote:

(I'm so lonely 1wink.gif

1) You have an amazing memory and gift for words, Old Man. 1biggrin.gif

2) To my credit: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/111010/apple-sued-over-iphone-4-reception-issues/320#post_1666704

I don't mind being called old -- it's all I got... considering the alternative!

(are we on twitter?)

post #78 of 83
Quote:

I am getting confused with Dick, Dave and Dan. Is today D-day?

post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I am getting confused with Dick, Dave and Dan. Is today D-day?
Don't think so
post #80 of 83

Now your boss can track and document your every move:  "You spent 20 minutes in the bathroom. What were you doing in there?"

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple buys 'indoor GPS' company WifiSLAM for $20M