or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Chromebook pixel count spurs Apple marketing shift

Chromebook pixel count spurs Apple marketing shift - Page 2

post #41 of 193
Originally Posted by newbee View Post
On Google's chromebook page it says the chromebook has 4.3 million pixels ... Apple says the 15" Macbook Pro has over 5 million pixels. The last time I checked 5 million was, indeed, larger than 4.3 million, no?

Did you read our posts at all?

Originally Posted by WhereAreSources View Post
I'm sure it's just an oversight, but I couldn't find where you credited the original source in your article. I read the same story over 3 hours ago on 9to5Mac.

Because they couldn't possibly have noticed it on their own?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #42 of 193
Just because you have a chromebook does mean you need to use Google's services. You can use any cloud service available. They just hope to pitch the best service / app ecosystem at you in order to stay. And as as offline apps they do exist with in the chrome OS space.
post #43 of 193
Just ordered the top of the line MBP 15". At these resolutions (DPI) it is splitting hairs. After careful review the MBP represents the best in terms of value to product (but it is still quite expensive). I'll be using it for extensive graphics and mapping in the field (geologist).
post #44 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you read our posts at all?

Because they couldn't possibly have noticed it on their own?

Yes, and sometimes I actually enjoy them. .... btw, replying to my post by asking an irrelevant question usually means you don't have an intelligent comeback ... care to try again?
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #45 of 193
...care to try again?

No. Go read our posts. You'll understand what we're talking about immediately by actually reading them.

post #46 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I would rather see Apple develop a personal cloud device.  Something like a battery/mains powered data archive, accessible via high speed WiFi by all one's devices.

Sounds like a time capsule. 1wink.gif
post #47 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

Just because you have a chromebook does mean you need to use Google's services. You can use any cloud service available. They just hope to pitch the best service / app ecosystem at you in order to stay. And as as offline apps they do exist with in the chrome OS space.

Huh. . .
I just assumed you had to be "connected" to do much of anything on a Chromebook. I also didn't realize that you could connect to any of your other computers and run applications loaded on those too. Overall it's more capable than I realized, making that $249 entry price pretty darn attractive compared to a full-fledged laptop or even tablet. Now is it still worthwhile at $1200? Not so much IMHO.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/devices/features-learnmore.html
melior diabolus quem scies
post #48 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

All it does is run Web Apps inside a browser based OS. It's only good for basic tasks like e-mail, browsing, social interaction or creating basic documents. You can't do anything requiring graphical power (photo or video editing, illustration or even games). It would be useless for web developers since you don't have a way to check your website on multiple browsers for compatibility.

It looks like you're incorrect. You can do photo-editing and video creation on a Chromebook. Yeah it surprises me too!
http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/devices/features-learnmore.html#create

Edit: .... and there's a LOT more off-line applications than I would have expected.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/collection/offline_enabled
post #49 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Actually it is not, there is slight ambiguity in the usage.  I have seen discussions dealing with PPI but the most common is a strict value of pixel count.

Even within that there is ambiguity in the common definition, but since a realistic scenario is highly unlikely to appear using the horizontal and vertical pixel counts to are perfectly reasonable. For example, take a 100x100 display and a 1000x10 display. They are not the same display resolution but both have exact 10,000 pixels. In one sense they resolve to the same number of pixels but they are not the same. Again, such a situation where the length and width or inverse of the length and width will equal the pixel count of a different length and width that I doubt we have to think about it outside of a theoretical discussion.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #50 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It looks like you're incorrect. You can do photo-editing and video creation on a Chromebook. Yeah it surprises me too!
http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/devices/features-learnmore.html#create

Edit: .... and there's a LOT more off-line applications than I would have expected.

There is also Google Native Client

Quote:
Google Native Client (NaCl) is a sandboxing technology for running a subset of Intel x86 or ARM native code using software-based fault isolation.[1] It is proposed for safely running native code from a web browser, allowing web-based applications to run at near-native speeds,[2] which aligns well with Google's plans with Chrome OS. It may also be used for securing browser plugins, and in the future parts of other applications or full applications.[3]

It can also be used to create 3D apps using OpenGL ES

post #51 of 193
The only way Google can get top quality devices is to fully adopt UNIX, be it BSD or Linux. Their weird choices of Chrome and Android drive to nowhere but failure. Android isn't UNIX, as it replaced UNIX security by Windows 3.1 (lack of) security. Drop Android, drop Chrome, and go UNIX. It's the only way Google can make any interesting products
post #52 of 193
Who cares? It's clear the only reason google did it is for bragging rights. The computer is pretty much a $2200 web browser with a useless OS, barely any storage space, and an inability to run any real, professional apps. It's infinitely more useless than my MacBook Air at near double the price - but hey, it has alot of pixels! Win!
post #53 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

The only way Google can get top quality devices is to fully adopt UNIX, be it BSD or Linux. Their weird choices of Chrome and Android drive to nowhere but failure. Android isn't UNIX, as it replaced UNIX security by Windows 3.1 (lack of) security. Drop Android, drop Chrome, and go UNIX. It's the only way Google can make any interesting products

You lost me. Linux isn't UNIX but Android and Chrome OS both utilize Linux as their kernel.

post #54 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

You lost me. Linux isn't UNIX but Android and Chrome OS both utilize Linux as their kernel.

We refer to these OS as unix-like. Read this page for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #55 of 193
The Chromebook is not a notebook. It's not a PC. Its a network appliance. It's just a browser, really.
post #56 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sure, but being UNIX-like is not the same thing as being UNIX certificated, like Mac OS X is, or the comment that Android nor Chrome are not built off Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

The Chromebook is not a notebook. It's not a PC. Its a network appliance. It's just a browser, really.

Using WebKit for the UI doesn't mean it doesn't contain an OS. It has everything an OS has.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/24/13 at 1:18pm

post #57 of 193
Bought Office for Mac today. See, they offer "the next version for free if you buy now". Got to the offer site. Filled in the code. Found I actually get "one year of Office 360 cloud-based service". Feel cheated.

Me no like new world. Want old world back.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #58 of 193
Quote:

No. Go read our posts. You'll understand what we're talking about immediately by actually reading them.

In all fairness, I didn't understand your point either.
post #59 of 193

Calling ChromeOS a "browser-based operating system developed by Google" is a bit of a stretch. It's just Linux designed to only run one app: Chrome.

post #60 of 193
Quote:

Quote:

Sure, but being UNIX-like is not the same thing as being UNIX certificated, like Mac OS X is, or the comment that Android nor Chrome are not built off Linux.

Registered or certified just makes it available for enterprise and governments that require it. Linux is every bit as UNIX as SunOS or Solaris. As far as the kernel is concerned, it mostly manages the file system, memory, network, and devices, etc. There is a lot more to Unix than the kernel. Linux has all of the same libraries, drivers, and binaries as any full fledged certified UNIX. So it being Unix-like is enough Unix to run virtually anything that certified Unix can run.

post #61 of 193
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
In all fairness, I didn't understand your point either.

The article implied that Apple stopped advertising the retina MacBook Pro as its superlative due to the Chromebook, but images taken from the very page the article references prove that wrong.

post #62 of 193
Quote:

You know, you could grow a pair and actually reply in a clear and concise manner outlining why my post is inaccurate or you could continue to attack without really saying anything or, here's a radical thought .... just STFU ... your move.

post #63 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Calling ChromeOS a "browser-based operating system developed by Google" is a bit of a stretch. It's just Linux designed to only run one app: Chrome.

So used also say WebOS is just running a browser OS, too?

Quote:

Registered or certified just makes it available for enterprise and governments that require it. Linux is every bit as UNIX as SunOS or Solaris. As far as the kernel is concerned, it mostly manages the file system, memory, network, and devices, etc. There is a lot more to Unix than the kernel. Linux has all of the same libraries, drivers, and binaries as any full fledged certified UNIX. So it being Unix-like is enough Unix to run virtually anything that certified Unix can run.

So how is it that Google should drop Android and Chrome OS and adopt Linux when it's already Linux? 1confused.gif

post #64 of 193
Quote:

So how is it that Google should drop Android and Chrome OS and adopt Linux when it's already Linux? 1confused.gif

Not sure but booting a linux-like kernel and then running everything in a java-like Davlik VM is certainly not the same as Linux proper. I have no idea what makes up Chrome and have no interest in finding out. Not that I had any interest in Android either but just happened to remember some details I read somewhere by accident.

post #65 of 193
Quote:

Not sure but booting a linux-like kernel and then running everything in a java-like Davlik VM is certainly not the same as Linux proper. I have no idea what makes up Chrome and have no interest in finding out. Not that I had any interest in Android either but just happened to remember some details I read somewhere by accident.

What is Linux proper? I consider being able to do typical tasks from a command line in any other Linux distro as proper. From experience with Chromium tells me it's exactly like other distros of Linux. Just turn on Developer Mode to get access to the shell. I think the default root password is: passwd.

I simply don't get this attitude that it's not a real OS if the UI isn't designed the way one expects. Doesn't anyone remember the complaints that Mac OS wasn't a real OS because it didn't have a shell that could be accessed or that iOS wasn't a real OS because of other silly reasons. None of these excuses are factual or accurate. Aren't Process Management, Memory Management, File System Management, and Device Management still the requirements for an OS?

post #66 of 193
You know, you could grow a pair and actually reply in a clear and concise manner outlining why my post is inaccurate or you could continue to attack without really saying anything or, here's a radical thought .... just STFU ... your move.

So instead of reading anything whatsoever any number of times, you resort to personal attacks.

Enjoy that lifestyle.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
What is Linux proper?

Any flavor of Linux with these programs installed.

post #67 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky
A few college students carry Surface RT tablets so they can throw them around like frisbies and practice clicking and clacking them in unison.

I thought that rough default KB would be effective as a door mat.

Being serious it would be my concern it would wear out the tips of my fingers!

post #68 of 193

Feel I should elaborate about my previous comment: I don't want Apple to move to a cloud-software system. I won't buy the Pixel. I hate cloud systems. I want an Apple-branded, simple-stupid, own-cloud-at-home-solution for server-style stuff, and standard-classic software running onmy own computer in my own home .

NO YEARLY FEE, NO UNWANTED UPGRADES.

OFFICE 360, ADOBE CLOUD? GTFO.

post #69 of 193
Quote:

What is Linux proper? I consider being able to do typical tasks from a command line in any other Linux distro as proper. From experience with Chromium tells me it's exactly like other distros of Linux. Just turn on Developer Mode to get access to the shell. I think the default root password is: passwd.

I simply don't get this attitude that it's not a real OS if the UI isn't designed the way one expects. Doesn't anyone remember the complaints that Mac OS wasn't a real OS because it didn't have a shell that could be accessed or that iOS wasn't a real OS because of other silly reasons. None of these excuses are factual or accurate. Aren't Process Management, Memory Management, File System Management, and Device Management still the requirements for an OS?

Most likely an instance of mirroring all the ridiculous arguments aimed at Apple iOS over the past six years.
post #70 of 193
Quote:

What is Linux proper? 

GNU

post #71 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Where did you find one for $2200? It is $1300 with wi-fi, $1500 for LTE, with either you get $1800 worth of cloud storage, so, if you can use the storage, quite a good deal. If not, perhaps you should get something else (but be sure not to overpay by a factor of two).

My bad. Still an insanely bad value for what it is, and its utility. As for the $1800 for 1TB online storage, in all seriousness, there may be a tiny percentage of people in certain use case scenarios who will actually use this storage, but for most people, it just doesn't make any sense and is not worth any $. These days free services provide more than enough cloud storage for most people, and I don't see many situations where uploading a TB to the cloud is feasible or desirable, especially for consumer use. And that will not change anytime soon. The fact that it eventually expires makes it even more ridiculous, especially with that amount of data, and at that time you have no option except somehow downloading it all and transferring it to another service, or pay a ludicrous fee to keep it there.

At the end of the day, the Pixel is an incredibly ill conceived hardware product, as Google often releases. The ONLY advantage of buying a chrome based laptop was the low price. Thats it.

Edited by Slurpy - 3/24/13 at 2:03pm
post #72 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

1. If you need the cloud storage, the chromebook pixel costs either $-500 or $-300. How is this expensive? 

2. Insecure? Google certainly advertises the opposite, what is your evidence?

3+4 yes, so?

So you get the ChromeBook with LTE.  That 1TB will cost (over LTE) about $10/GB so read and write it 1 time (2TB of access) will be about $20,000.

If you are going to count the 1TB as a minus cost, I will count the cost of bandwidth toward the device.

post #73 of 193
Quote:

The article implied that Apple stopped advertising the retina MacBook Pro as its superlative due to the Chromebook, but images taken from the very page the article references prove that wrong.

But the images you posted are still true if you consider display resolution as pixel count.

I had no idea what your images you posted were trying to prove.

post #74 of 193
Quote:

GNU

So if it contains any software under its brand that is not wholly free per GNU, save for non-GNU kernels, you won't say its Linux even though it looks like Linux, works like Linux, acts like Linux, and does everything else a basic Linux distro does? Doesn't Red Hat Enterprise come with software that doesn't fall under GNU? Wouldn't that make it non-Linux in your eyes?

post #75 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Bottom line: great for simple tasks, useless for real work.

They put out video guides on how to do things like how to backup a Chromebook, how to setup a Chromebook but the latest ad is the most honest:

Second place in resolution to a Macbook Pro and second place in usefulness to a potato.
post #76 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Have you bothered to look at those Apps? Might as well say the iPad is better than Photoshop for photo editing or Vegas/Premiere/Avid for video editing. They are nothing more than Android equivalents of iOS Apps like Snapseed or iMovie. It might seem impressive to do photo editing in your smartphone, but when compared to desktop software you quickly realize how lacking they are.

post #77 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Feel I should elaborate about my previous comment: I don't want Apple to move to a cloud-software system. I won't buy the Pixel. I hate cloud systems. I want an Apple-branded, simple-stupid, own-cloud-at-home-solution for server-style stuff, and standard-classic software running onmy own computer in my own home .

NO YEARLY FEE, NO UNWANTED UPGRADES.

OFFICE 360, ADOBE CLOUD? GTFO.

That's where Apple's iCloud approach is better because it gives you the choice. You still run apps natively but your data is stored and synced in the cloud. But if you don't want to use the cloud you can just save to your HD as always.

post #78 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

So you get the ChromeBook with LTE.  That 1TB will cost (over LTE) about $10/GB so read and write it 1 time (2TB of access) will be about $20,000.

If you are going to count the 1TB as a minus cost, I will count the cost of bandwidth toward the device.

Almost as though the person you quoted is responding to my post. I don't see half the comments on the forums as I use the "Block Member" option and reporting options rather copiously compared to many members apparently. Rest assured that if someone were reported in a thread that I was likely the person to have reported the person. I probably drive the moderators to insanity.
post #79 of 193
Quote:

You and matrix07 each posted of an image that says that the MBP was the highest and yet you seem to seem to say it wasn't. The reason for the change on Apple's part was that it's no longer the case that both are the highest -and- second-highest, it's now the highest and third-highest.

post #80 of 193

But I thought it was never about specs. More about "experiences" and "ease of use"?

Isnt specs "not important"?

Is it that argument used for convenience sake?

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Chromebook pixel count spurs Apple marketing shift