or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's $20M purchase of WiFiSLAM snubs Google's Android for indoor map tech

Apple's $20M purchase of WiFiSLAM snubs Google's Android for indoor map tech - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Look at it this way -- Each 8.2 foot cell within a building (regardless of floor) has an unique "noise fingerprint" (WiFi, radio/TV/cell/magnetic waves, etc.).  Your mobile device can detect and gather the noise (and possibly generate the fingerprint).  

Quick question: What sensors does the iPhone have to detect radio, TV and magnetic waves?

The thing about the floor plan. Apple would never allow all different odd ball poorly drawn diagrams to be displayed. They would all have to match. They would also have to be validated and official.

This is what I was thinking when I first heard about the technology, of course it turned out not to be the case.

I thought of Apple partnering with building management to install lots of specifically designed WiFi hotspots throughout the public buildings at precisely identified coordinates. That way they could be used for determining location very accurately. I imagined this to work sort of like street view where Google sends an official data acquisition team to the location. I would love to see Apple take responsibility for their own map data, keep it up to date and have full control over it.

As this WiFiSlam technology is now being revealed, I like it less every time I read more detail about it.

I wish that Apple would spend some of their cash to start building out city wide WiFi networks that were free and only available for Apple devices. That way we really could cut the cord as you wouldn't even need a cable carrier for broadband. 

My first reaction was to be flippant... If Wi-Fi is the answer – what was the question?

However, I share your desire for precise, detailed and consistent mapping -- whether in or out of doors.

Stepping back, consider what Apple would have to own, develop and provide to meet that desire.  Apple is behind other mapping services (years in the minds of many).  When the current front runner's maps were first introduced, they were often ridiculed as Apple Maps are now.

Today, there is a growing competition to provide indoor mapping capability.  We may be in a situation where "what is good enough" and how "fast can you develop it" are the primary issues.

I do believe that Apple should use this technology on a best effort ASAP basis.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by websnap View Post

It's a snub to Android because WiFiSLAM had an android SDK and now they won't. Up until it's sale it was android only (after iOS5) save for the unofficial iOS Jailbreaking that allowed it to work. It's a snub to android because devs had the option to write WiFiSLAM into their apps and now it's gone.

They did the same thing with the fingerprint scanner company too.  After they bought AuthenTec, the made a press release to AuthenTec's customers telling them that after a certain date the technology would no longer be available to them.  That Apple was bringing the tech in house for there use only.

post #43 of 47

Good article, thanks!
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I rarely defend Ai per se, but I think it was rightly said. This _was_ imho an useful Google-pawn that they just lost.

Wasn't there another article from last week that mentioned a company "with ties to Google" (but otherwise had nothing officially tied to Google) which turned out to be the guy had just interned at Google for a while? As if anyone living in Silicon Valley hasn't worked at Google, HP, Apple or Intel?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I hit my head on the bathroom sink while standing on the toilet to hang a clock. When I came to I had a premonition about an Apple event a week in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

P.S.  You must have a really high sink (or low toilet)

P.P.S.  How can you tell time while seated (or need to know the time while standing)?

P.P.P.S  an iWatch would solve [most] all your problems

P.P.P.P.S. I find it interesting that you were hanging a (presumed) unitasking clock in the bathroom in the first place. 

Over the past 6 months I've been house hunting and probably have been through 40+ homes X 3 bathrooms each.

That's ~120 bathrooms and not a single clock hanging. Incorporated into shaving mirrors and in iHomes, yes, but none hanging on the wall.

Sorry for being off topic but I had to *chime* in on that one. 1biggrin.gif

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum 
P.S. You must have a really high sink (or low toilet)

P.P.S. How can you tell time while seated (or need to know the time while standing)?

P.P.P.P.S. I find it interesting that you were hanging a (presumed) unitasking clock in the bathroom in the first place. 

I guess it was too subtle. I was paraphrasing Doc Brown from Back to the Future.

PS: That Kit-Cat Klock is hanging in Doc Brown's house in the movie. Neat little story about this 80 year old iconic clock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit-Cat_Klock

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I guess it was too subtle. I was paraphrasing Doc Brown from Back to the Future.

PS: That Kit-Cat Klock is hanging in Doc Brown's house in the movie. Neat little story about this 80 year old iconic clock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit-Cat_Klock

As soon as I read Doc Brown, it hit me. It's been a long time since I last watched that one and it's quite coincidental that I posted that particular pic.

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's $20M purchase of WiFiSLAM snubs Google's Android for indoor map tech
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's $20M purchase of WiFiSLAM snubs Google's Android for indoor map tech