or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Technicalities holding up FAA decision on electronics on airplanes

Technicalities holding up FAA decision on electronics on airplanes - Page 2

post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Except that you're ignoring the points that I've been making (repeatedly). I really don't think it's about the radio signals as much as the safety issue of trying to get people off the plane in an emergency when some of them are distracted with their electronics.

And don't hold your breath expecting free WiFi on planes. They charge for everything else, so why give free WiFi?

No doubt. I love the old southwest commercial a couple years back where you have to put in a quarter for the overhead bin, the tray, and to recline your seat.

I don't buy the safety thing. I doubt people are checking espn during an emergency.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

No doubt. I love the old southwest commercial a couple years back where you have to put in a quarter for the overhead bin, the tray, and to recline your seat.

I don't buy the safety thing. I doubt people are checking espn during an emergency.

You've never been on a plane, then.

People ignore the flight announcements when they're playing with their electronics. It is entirely possible for them to miss emergency announcements - heck, it happens all the time (announcement says to put your tray table up, etc and the people using their electronics don't hear it).

Furthermore, in an emergency, time is critical. Even if the person playing games on the iPad during takeoff does hear the announcement and moves to put it away, that can cost crucial seconds.

Now, it doesn't affect me much because I always sit in an aisle seat, but if you're in a window seat and the person next to you is fiddling with their electronics during an emergency, it could be a serious matter.

In any event, it's up the the FAA to determine whether something is safe - not some congresswoman. That's their job.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Technicalities holding up FAA decision on electronics on airplanes