or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's push Gmail changes surprise new iPhone buyers, Apple store reps

Google's push Gmail changes surprise new iPhone buyers, Apple store reps - Page 3

post #81 of 83
Google is pretty darn good about telling you how to move data out (or into if that's your preference) of any of their services. Just visit The Data Liberation Front.

Surprise. . . It's actually an official Google effort to assist users of Google services in controlling their own data.. As far as I can tell every Google app is listed on the left. Just click on the one you want to "liberate" ,

If only Apple and Microsoft were so transparent and made it so easy.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #82 of 83
Yawn. Who cares?

My GMail account is of secondary utility value at best, serving mainly as an account to validate favourite blogs and sites and similar functions. Nothing in my affairs that is commercial, financial or logistical is directed there, no fear...

I tried enabling push on the standalone GMail app years ago, but wasn't happy with the extra notification badges cluttering my screen and disabled it.

My several legacy iOS devices still have push support for the native Mail app grandfathered in, and still see regular use in many remarkable ways thanks to the excellent Apple and 3rd party apps that have served me so well over the years. Unlocked legally, they also carry SIMs that enable cheap international calls to get around extortionate roaming call and data charges when I travel.

Life is good in my global mobile walled orchard :-)
post #83 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google is pretty darn good about telling you how to move data out (or into if that's your preference) of any of their services. Just visit The Data Liberation Front.

Surprise. . . It's actually an official Google effort to assist users of Google services in controlling their own data.. As far as I can tell every Google app is listed on the left. Just click on the one you want to "liberate" ,

If only Apple and Microsoft were so transparent and made it so easy.
Well it all looks very nice from a Google Spin POV, but the reality is that that they have already read, analysed, probably sold and definitely stored a copy indefinitely, of the data. Why wouldn't they let you believe you can transfer/liberate this data?
In terms of value to them it is literally yesterday's news - they have already had their way with it, so on to the next fresh bit of data.

The effect is the same if you simply stop using their services, as I have pretty much done.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google's push Gmail changes surprise new iPhone buyers, Apple store reps
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's push Gmail changes surprise new iPhone buyers, Apple store reps