or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5, Galaxy S4 launch tweets show Apple still has more cachet than Samsung

iPhone 5, Galaxy S4 launch tweets show Apple still has more cachet than Samsung

post #1 of 46
Apple's iPhone continues to overshadow Samsung in consumer appeal, as a quick look at Twitter activity during the two tech giants' flagship device announcements shows the latest iPhone 5 netted more five times as many messages compared to the Galaxy S4, says one analyst.

In a note to investors, PiperJaffray analyst Gene Munster said the Twitter analysis regarding the iPhone 5 unveiling compared to Samsung's recent Galaxy S4 announcement illustrates the mass appeal Apple's handset still carries with the overall consumer marketplace.

Twitter Analysis
Source: Investing Analytics

The data, from Investing Analytics, shows that on the day of and day after the devices' respective debuts, the iPhone 5 garnered some 2.4 million tweets, while the Galaxy S4 managed 440,000. Interest for the S4 was higher than Samsung's previous releases, but the numbers don't come close to Apple's traditionally high metrics.

"We believe this demonstrates that while interest in the Galaxy S4 is growing, Apple continues to hold a meaningful lead as the smartphone with the broadest consumer appeal," Munster said.

Going deeper, tweets about the Galaxy S4 were more positive than the iPhone 5, with a positive sentiment biases of 81 percent of 81 percent and 73 percent, respectively. Munster noted the comparatively negative results could be a byproduct of iPhone 5 leaks leading up to launch day, which left some consumers underwhelmed as there were no "surprise" features.

While the study may seem anecdotal, as not every consumer looking for a new smartphone uses Twitter's platform, the demographics represented does lend a good deal marketshare to buying the latest and greatest tech products.
post #2 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

cache->cachet Geez...

I looked it up ... "The iPhone's maximum cache limit for multiple components is found to be 475K – 500 KB." 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 46

Actually, color me impressed that the S4 managed to get that many. Way more than I would have guessed.

post #4 of 46
Quote:

cache->cachet Geez...

I don't understand your comment.

cache |kæʃ|
noun
a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place: an arms cache | a cache of gold coins.
• a hidden or inaccessible storage place for valuables, provisions, or ammunition.
• (also cache memory )Computing an auxiliary memory from which high-speed retrieval is possible.

ca•chet |kæˈʃeɪ|
noun
1 the state of being respected or admired; prestige: no other shipping company had quite the cachet of Cunard.
2 a distinguishing mark or seal.
• Philately a printed design added to an envelope to commemorate a special event.
3 a flat capsule enclosing a dose of unpleasant-tasting medicine.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 46
Too bad AppleInsider doesn't have a clue what "cachet" actually means...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, color me impressed that the S4 managed to get that many. Way more than I would have guessed.

What I don't get is why this is being compared now when the launch date isn't until April 26th, 2013.

post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Too bad AppleInsider doesn't have a clue what "cachet" actually means...

So you're claiming the iPhone doesn't have more prestige than the Galaxy?

post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't understand your comment.

ca•chet |kæˈʃeɪ|
noun
1 the state of being respected or admired; prestige: no other shipping company had quite the cachet of Cunard.
2 a distinguishing mark or seal.

I believe he thought Ai was comparing "cache" values in these devices. The problem though, is that your definition doesn't apply either, even though it's clearly what the writer meant to convey.

What the (Ai) writer really wanted to say is "elicits stronger reactions", apparently. Also, "cachet" is a french word ;) and it really means "that has class". Obviously, the iPhone has more class than the GSn, with n being whatever integer you want.

post #9 of 46
Quote:

So you're claiming the iPhone doesn't have more prestige than the Galaxy?

Of course not. I'm not that much more stupid than you are  ;)

See my second post, I pre-replied :D

post #10 of 46
Quote:

What I don't get is why this is being compared now when the launch date isn't until April 26th, 2013.

Very valid point, indeed. Then again, shouldn't we then compare the GS4 launch with the 5s launch, being both "next gen" devices?

post #11 of 46
Quote:

I don't see where they reference the actual "launch" dates for either device so perhaps they meant announcement dates?

post #12 of 46

A classic correlation vs causality comparison. 

Increased tweets during the unveiling does not show a direct cause and effect in this situation, only a correlation. 

There is a third party ommitted variable that this "analysis" (if you can call it that) is missing. 

The Galaxy S 4 hasnt even launched yet. Only announced. 

Edited by Galbi - 3/27/13 at 2:54pm

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #13 of 46

They are basing this on the assumption that people who tweet about something really matter?

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to listen, does it make a sound?"

If a bunch of twits tweet about something, does the real world even care?

90% of media today seems to be the media making noise about each other and themselves and 10% actually communicating new and useful information.

post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I don't see where they reference the actual "launch" dates for either device so perhaps they meant announcement dates?

AppleInsider is a bit sloppy with their wording "these days".

post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Twitter Analysis
Source: Investing Analytics

Would it be too much trouble to obtain your graphics from people who know how to create a chart? There's no reason for the decimals in the Y axis.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to listen, does it make a sound?"

That is one of the stupidest platitudes ever. Sounds are vibrating air waves. You get vibrating air waves from a tree whether there's a person there or not.
Quote:

If a bunch of twits tweet about something, does the real world even care?

Probably not, but the people who tweeted millions of times about the iPhone 5 obviously did.
Quote:

90% of media today seems to be the media making noise about each other and themselves and 10% actually communicating new and useful information.

I doubt if it's even 10% useful information.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #17 of 46

I'm not surprised at all. These figures aren't shocking, they merely show the sad reality and the current pathetic state of Android. As Samsung recently found out, there's a big difference between manufacturing and paying for false hype versus the genuine enthusiasm and excitement that happens with many Apple product releases. 

Besides the geekiest and the most mentally disturbed of Fandroids, those few people who are chained in their basements and likes to spend their nights updating to the newest ROM, and the few people who like to spend their days trolling Apple forums which they have no business being on, the average person does not care much about Android. The average Android user is using a phone that is running a very old, outdated and poor performing OS which is barely better than a feature phone.

Fandroids think that innovation is releasing a phone that is .5 inches bigger than the last one. Android has done virtually nothing to advance tech. On the contrary, Android is a hinder to tech advancement, as Android has helped to usher in the era of "the race to the bottom". Most Android tablets are nothing but pollution, cheap pieces of crap that will very soon end up in a huge pile of scrap. If I were one of those bat shit insane environmentalists, I would be very concerned.

post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Would it be too much trouble to obtain your graphics from people who know how to create a chart? There's no reason for the decimals in the Y axis.

How about half-twits, and nitwits?

post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is one of the stupidest platitudes ever. Sounds are vibrating air waves. You get vibrating air waves from a tree whether there's a person there or not.
Probably not, but the people who tweeted millions of times about the iPhone 5 obviously did.
I doubt if it's even 10% useful information.

I have a massive deja-vu feeling reading this. I'm pretty sure the whole "airwave" discussion was had last year or the previous one, on this very forum ^^'

post #20 of 46
Quote:

I believe he thought Ai was comparing "cache" values in these devices. The problem though, is that your definition doesn't apply either, even though it's clearly what the writer meant to convey.

What the (Ai) writer really wanted to say is "elicits stronger reactions", apparently. Also, "cachet" is a french word 1wink.gif and it really means "that has class". Obviously, the iPhone has more class than the GSn, with n being whatever integer you want.

I agree that the more tweets does not mean more prestige.

Quote:

Very valid point, indeed. Then again, shouldn't we then compare the GS4 launch with the 5s launch, being both "next gen" devices?

I say compare the Galaxy S IV to the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III, then the iPhone 5S to the Galaxy S IV and Phone 5 to look for trends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Not dates but the word launch is usually a safe bet in when it comes to products unless you add specific qualifiers like announcement launch, which really sounds odd to me. Let's not it's exactly a month and a day before the Galaxy S IV will launch which is exactly what Munster is saying they are measuring. Seems highly questionable to me.

Quote:

AppleInsider is a bit sloppy with their wording "these days".

But the source is PiperJaffray. I think that image says it's from Investing Analysis, not AI, which includes the word launch.

post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not surprised at all. These figures aren't shocking, they merely show the sad reality and the current pathetic state of Android. As Samsung recently found out, there's a big difference between manufacturing and paying for false hype versus the genuine enthusiasm and excitement that happens with many Apple product releases. 

Besides the geekiest and the most mentally disturbed of Fandroids, those few people who are chained in their basements and likes to spend their nights updating to the newest ROM, and the few people who like to spend their days trolling Apple forums which they have no business being on, the average person does not care much about Android. The average Android user is using a phone that is running a very old, outdated and poor performing OS which is barely better than a feature phone.

Fandroids think that innovation is releasing a phone that is .5 inches bigger than the last one. Android has done virtually nothing to advance tech. On the contrary, Android is a hinder to tech advancement, as Android has helped to usher in the era of "the race to the bottom". Most Android tablets are nothing but pollution, cheap pieces of crap that will very soon end up in a huge pile of scrap. If I were one of those bat shit insane environmentalists, I would be very concerned.

Also, the average person buys his phone with no idea what he buys, and that average person buys an Android phone because that's what the carrier guys suggest to him. You're not helping the Apple cause, as usual, by sounding like a raging AAPL-owner looking at stock prices. Not that I can blame you on the latter point.

Edit: Also, please keep in mind that _some_ people cannot afford an iPhone and are pretty happy to have a cheaper solution. Android is, contrary to what you say, a pretty good system, that can run on pretty good hardware, especially in the pure Google iterations ( I don't personally own one of these, but some colleagues do, and they're far from stupid, to say the least).

Comparing bad Android phones to the iPhone and ignoring the good Android phones only show your bias, not a failure in Android, you know?

The problems are the possible infringements, the lack of quality (imho) of the Samsung phones, GSn comprised, the lack of security (balanced with the freedom it enables... and that is pretty important, especially if you take into account that the general public prefers a secure place with lots of policemen and militia to a dangerously free place... history shows that the general public is wrong about that particular point), but Samsung is not Android, and Android is an innovative and interesting system.

Edited by lightknight - 3/27/13 at 3:09pm

post #22 of 46
Quote:

But the source is PiperJaffray. I think that image says it's from Investing Analysis, not AI, which includes the word launch.

Well, Ai says it's Investing Analytics: http://www.investinganalytics.net/ but I don't quite know who they are :D

post #23 of 46
Quote:

Also, the average person buys his phone with no idea what he buys, and that average person buys an Android phone because that's what the carrier guys suggest to him. You're not helping the Apple cause, as usual, by sounding like a raging AAPL-owner looking at stock prices. Not that I can blame you on the latter point.

I'm not holding any AAPL at the moment, so that is of no concern to me. And I'm not here to help anybody or to help any particular cause. I just come here to speak my mind, regardless if it's helping somebody or not.

post #24 of 46
Anybody cooool enough knows that Galaxy S4 owners are raving about their new device in mini-broadway shows instead of on Twitter. Duh. Twitter and the iPhone are soooo off-Broadway.
post #25 of 46
Meanwhile stock of Apple is still going down...
post #26 of 46

Self quoting myself, but I just realized that the solution Apple uses on Mountain Lion could work out on Android: having only curated, signed software run on Android, unless the user specifically allows it, which means he knows what he's doing.

Another idea would be to have a self-reinstalling copy of the system and all the data "in the cloud". Not a solution I'd want for myself, but I'm not "the average guy"... Also, I have an iPhone ;)

Quote:
the lack of security (balanced with the freedom it enables... and that is pretty important, especially if you take into account that the general public prefers a secure place with lots of policemen and militia to a dangerously free place... history shows that the general public is wrong about that particular point)

post #27 of 46
Quote:

I'm going to venture that "launch" in the case of both the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 refers to their launch events -  not the sale release date

post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

Hey, maybe I can buy some of it soon? Hopefully Apple][ will throw his away? Gimme?

post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not holding any AAPL at the moment, so that is of no concern to me. And I'm not here to help anybody or to help any particular cause. I just come here to speak my mind, regardless if it's helping somebody or not.

Good! So do we :D

post #30 of 46
Quote:

Android is, contrary to what you say, a pretty good system...

Well, it was the second best system Apple ever created...

1wink.gif

My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I'm going to venture that "launch" in the case of both the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 refers to their launch events -  not the sale release date

That's like saying the manned rocket mission to Mars has already been launched simply by announcing plans for one. At any rate, it's poor wording.

post #32 of 46
Quote:

That's like saying the manned rocket mission to Mars has already been launched simply by announcing plans for one. At any rate, it's poor wording.

If it works, it will solve a lot of NASA's funding problems :p

post #33 of 46
B
Quote:

Because it is not comparing launch date data but announcement day data.
post #34 of 46
I thought the iPhone was uncool.
post #35 of 46
Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

Fortunately Google's stock was down more than Apple's today, so for all those people who give a crap about things that shouldn't matter, that should make them feel a little better. 1wink.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #36 of 46
Quote:

Self quoting myself, but I just realized that the solution Apple uses on Mountain Lion could work out on Android: having only curated, signed software run on Android, unless the user specifically allows it, which means he knows what he's doing.
Another idea would be to have a self-reinstalling copy of the system and all the data "in the cloud". Not a solution I'd want for myself, but I'm not "the average guy"... Also, I have an iPhone 1wink.gif
The Apps in Google Play are still being found to be compromised, so until they vet the Apps it still won't fix the problem.
post #37 of 46
Quote:

Anybody cooool enough knows that Galaxy S4 owners are raving about their new device in mini-broadway shows instead of on Twitter. Duh. Twitter and the iPhone are soooo off-Broadway.

Which Galaxy S4 owners would that be?

post #38 of 46
Quote:

cache->cachet Geez...

Geez fail
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cachet

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #39 of 46
Quote:

Quote:

If poor wording were an issue, many stories on AI would qualify.

You seem to be taking it way too literally. I think it just meant announcement date. The article also uses the word 'debut' -- what do you reckon that means?
post #40 of 46
What a blatantly slanted article. While I have an iPhone 5 the launch of the iPhone 5 was a huge event. It was a major design change for Apple (albeit only a puny .5 inch large screen. Samsung hasn't even launched their device yet (as previously stated).

In any event, the G4 isn't that big of an upgrade. Perhaps we should wait and see how the G4 compares to the 5S?

It's a pity that the Insider Staff will go out of their way to try to sway the consumer to their side.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iPhone 5, Galaxy S4 launch tweets show Apple still has more cachet than Samsung
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5, Galaxy S4 launch tweets show Apple still has more cachet than Samsung