or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry surprises with quarterly profit, ships 1M Z10 phones

BlackBerry surprises with quarterly profit, ships 1M Z10 phones

post #1 of 56
BlackBerry on Thursday said demand for its new flagship Z10 handset helped produce a net income of $98 million ? a minor surprise during a transitional quarter for the previously spiraling company.

While the Canadian smartphone maker, formerly known as Research in Motion, surprised by posting a profit, its quarterly revenue of $2.7 billion was still seen as a disappointment. In addition, the company only shipped 6 million total smartphones, while a million of those were its new Z10.

BlackBerry 10

A poll of Wall Street analysts by Thomson Reuters had forecast BlackBerry to post a loss of about 29 cents per share. In the same quarter a year ago, the company had lost $118 million.

Still, the Z10 shipments were a relatively positive sign for the company's revamped BlackBerry 10 platform. That device launched a few weeks before the end of the quarter, and only in Canada, the U.K. and United Arab Emirates. It began expanding to the U.S. last week.

While BlackBerry was once a dominant player in the smartphone market, major shifts in recent years have made it a fringe competitor. For example, Apple sold nearly eight times as many iPhones last quarter as BlackBerry shipped smartphones in its latest print, demonstrating the gap between the two companies.

"We have implemented numerous changes at BlackBerry over the past year and those changes have resulted in the company returning to profitability in the fourth quarter," said Thorsten Heins, BlackBerry's president and CEO. "With the launch of BlackBerry 10, we have introduced the newest and what we believe to be the most innovative mobile computing platform in the market today. Customers love the device and the user experience, and our teams and partners are now focused on getting those devices into the hands of BlackBerry consumer and enterprise customers."

As of the end of the company's fourth fiscal quarter of 2013, which concluded on March 2, BlackBerry had about $2.9 billion in cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments.

"As we go into our new fiscal year, we are excited with the opportunities for the BlackBerry 10 platform, and the commitments we are seeing from our global developers and partners," Heins said. "We are also excited about the new, dynamic culture at BlackBerry, where we are laser-focused on continuing to drive efficiency and improve the Company?s profitability while driving innovation. We have built an engine that is able to drive improved financial performance at lower volumes, which should allow us to generate additional benefits from higher volumes in the future."
post #2 of 56

I wish them luck!

If it wasn' for the lack of ecosystem, the Z10 is certainly the second most appealing smartphone to me.

post #3 of 56

Who the hell bought the other 5million 2YO smartphones?

Anyway, Good luck blackberry. F*ck the analysts and media always trying to push the ones that try new and good things down.

post #4 of 56

Hmmm... and the shares were less than $8 per a few weeks ago. Might have been sensible to have picked up a few for shits and giggles.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #5 of 56
Curious as to how they generate $2.7 billion.

I wish them luck too

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #6 of 56
It was 1,000,000 shipments, not sales. With a new device, its called filling the channels.
post #7 of 56

Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  

post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

It was 1,000,000 shipments, not sales. With a new device, its called filling the channels.

according to complaints made by european carriers, apple does exactly the same...

carriers get a quota to sell, if they don't sell them, the carrier has to eat the cost

i.e. apple shipped, called them sales, but no way to know how many were actually bought by end-users

it's called screwing the carriers, which i heartily approve of, they screw their users enough

post #9 of 56
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post
Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  

Take a look at my reply, hope it might give you some knowlegde about that country lol http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156668/apple-said-to-triple-retail-operations-in-india-by-2015

post #10 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by umumum View Post

carriers get a quota to sell, if they don't sell them, the carrier has to eat the cost

Ummm..... do you have a point you're trying to make here? You just defined "actual sales" for Apple, since the carrier has to "eat the cost". Not shipments. (Btw, do you see a lot of "buy one get one free deals" on the iPhone where you live? On which carrier? When?).

Also, you're exaggerating the EU situation, which calls into question your credibility. (i) It is not a formal "complaint" yet; (ii) The competition guys have proactively taken this on, and are at the exploratory stage to see if there's something here; (iii) It's only the smaller carriers that are 'complaining'. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/business/global/iphone-contracts-with-carriers-under-scrutiny-in-europe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is not a forum for FUD (which, in my book, is an acronym for F'in Useless Data). Thanks.

post #11 of 56

Take a look at my reply, hope it might give you some knowlegde about that country lol http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156668/apple-said-to-triple-retail-operations-in-india-by-2015

Definitely you are also from a third-world country. No doubt about it. :D :D You rock man! Hider.

post #12 of 56
WS spin: BBY gaining on iPhone. It's only a matter of time before the Z10 outsells the iPhone.
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I wish them luck!

If it wasn' for the lack of ecosystem, the Z10 is certainly the second most appealing smartphone to me.

They have a ecosystem it just lacks a multitude of quality apps.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They have a ecosystem it just lacks a multitude of quality apps.

Yep, that's what I actually meant to say. Compared to iOS and Android, it is as good as inexistent.

post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I wish them luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Anyway, Good luck blackberry. F*ck the analysts and media always trying to push the ones that try new and good things down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Curious as to how they generate $2.7 billion.

I wish them luck too

I join this chorus; let's hope they are slowly on the way to recovery. It will be good news for all parties involved - competitors and consumers.

post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

WS spin: BBY gaining on iPhone. It's only a matter of time before the Z10 outsells the iPhone.

Why not? Microsoft is bragging their WinPhones are outselling the iPhone in certain countries.lol.gif
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/03/28/idc-windows-phone-outsold-iphone-during-q4-in-argentina-russia-south-africa-ukraine-india-and-poland/
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #17 of 56

Blackberry success in this space just helps push Android (as a brand) further down to cheap/low margin handsets.

post #18 of 56
I doubt blackberry would be able to keep up with the innovation demands of the smartphone industry.
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusy32 View Post

I doubt blackberry would be able to keep up with the innovation demands of the smartphone industry.

That's an interesting question. Put aside the issue of app support, has the smartphone industry moved that much forward in innovation since 2008?
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Sell through is about 700,000.

post #21 of 56
Good for RiM. They managed to do what Amazon couldn't. Keep up the good work.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #22 of 56
Quote:

Only Apple is expected to innovate.
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Only Apple is expected to innovate.

Perhaps your sarcasm is falling flat on me, but can you name even TWO major  innovations (i.e., not trivial nonsense like better notifications or better predictive typing, but far-reaching ones, e.g., iOS, iWork, or App Store) each from Samsung and Blackberry since the the iPhone was introduced?

post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps your sarcasm is falling flat on me, but can you name even TWO major  innovations (i.e., not trivial nonsense like better notifications or better predictive typing, but far-reaching ones, e.g., iOS, iWork, or App Store) each from Samsung and Blackberry since the the iPhone was introduced?

Perhaps it has fallen flat. Trolls and analysts complain that Apple hasn't innovated since the iPad. They tell us that's why the stock price has declined.
post #25 of 56
To say that there hasn't been any innovation since 2008 is to say that Apple's iPhone is still the iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0
post #26 of 56
Quote:

To say that there hasn't been any innovation since 2008 is to say that Apple's iPhone is still the iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0

Who said that?
post #27 of 56
If facetime, retina display, siri... The list goes on mean nothing to you then enjoy your physical keyboard
Edited by Gusy32 - 3/28/13 at 2:25pm
post #28 of 56
Quote:

If facetime, retina display, siri... The list goes on mean nothing to you then enjoy your physical keyboard

1confused.gif

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #29 of 56
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
1confused.gif

"If the many benefits, hardware and software, of Apple's ecosystem are meaningless to you, then enjoy your Blackberry device, which quite probably has a physical keyboard, hearkening back to the industry six years ago."

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"If the many benefits, hardware and software, of Apple's ecosystem are meaningless to you, then enjoy your Blackberry device, which quite probably has a physical keyboard, hearkening back to the industry six years ago."

I wonder if a few years from now we will look back and criticize iPhone users for having a home button.  On that note the stupid button just broke on my iPod...keyless is the way to go!  

post #31 of 56
Originally Posted by d3c1ph3r View Post
I wonder if a few years from now we will look back and criticize iPhone users for having a home button.  On that note the stupid button just broke on my iPod...keyless is the way to go!  

I've always personally doubted that. The Home Button on my first-gen iPhone works like the day out of the box, and we'll always need a hardware 'out' for software.

post #32 of 56
Quote:

Oddly enough... I have a 5 or 6 year old Blackberry that is used as a company phone. The only things I can do with it are texting and calls. As much as I appreciate iPhones, I bought my Wife a 4S, I actually have no use for one and the Blackberry's physical keyboard is just the ticket for my needs... add to that the fact that it's tough as nails and it was dirt cheap.

One man's poison... another man's treasure... etc.   1smile.gif

[if it wasn't for the fact that the 4S contract will come due in October 2014, I'd probably get another Blackberry with a physical keyboard. As it is, I'll get my wife a new iPhone Whatever and I'll take the 4S]

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #33 of 56
Quote:

I've always personally doubted that. The Home Button on my first-gen iPhone works like the day out of the box, and we'll always need a hardware 'out' for software.

The hardware (out) is the touchscreen itself.  

I don't really baby my stuff though.  Gone through 2 ipod touches now.  I have a Nexus 4 phone that I managed to damage the digitizer and only half the screen works so there are always with issues with the button or screen.  I do like the idea of no home button right now though.  

post #34 of 56
Originally Posted by d3c1ph3r View Post
The hardware (out) is the touchscreen itself.

No, that locks up, getting you stuck in an app.

post #35 of 56
Quote:

Ummm..... do you have a point you're trying to make here? You just defined "actual sales" for Apple, since the carrier has to "eat the cost". Not shipments. (Btw, do you see a lot of "buy one get one free deals" on the iPhone where you live? On which carrier? When?).

I've never seen a "buy one get one free deal" for anyphone where I live, you maybe exaggerating their existance.
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I've never seen a "buy one get one free deal" for anyphone where I live, you maybe exaggerating their existance.

Let Me Google That For You… I see US Cellular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Radio Shack for LG, HTC and Samsung Android-based devices on the first alone. How exactly is he exaggerating that these do in fact exist?

post #37 of 56
Quote:

If you are not just into cartography, but also cryptography :)

post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

There are still many companies that will use nothing but BBs.
post #39 of 56
Quote:

They're not as prevalent as they used to be, but they did and continue to exist.
post #40 of 56
Quote:

Quote:

You misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was telling the poster that if Apple was putting 'quota' pressure on carriers (as he claimed) who, in turn, were having trouble meeting their numbers, then we should see a lot of iPhone giveaways (either in 'BOGO' type deals or something close). In turn, the fact we don't see such deals suggests that the issue the poster complaining about was likely moot.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry surprises with quarterly profit, ships 1M Z10 phones