or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple updates Final Cut Pro X, Motion & Compressor in push to win back pro users

Apple updates Final Cut Pro X, Motion & Compressor in push to win back pro users

post #1 of 134
Alongside a new marketing push from Apple to promote its professional-grade video editing software, the company also pushed out a trio of software updates on Thursday for Final Cut Pro X, Motion, and Compressor.

The new updates are free for those who have already purchased the applications, bringing the version numbers up to Final Cut Pro X 10.0.8, Motion 5.0.7, and Compressor 4.0.7. While the updates for the latter to are comprised mostly of bug fixes, the additions to Final Cut Pro X are more substantial:
  • Support for Sony XAVC codec up to 4K resolution
  • Option to display ProRes Log C files from ARRI ALEXA cameras with standard Rec. 709 color and contrast levels
  • Resolves an issue where some third-party effects generated green frames during render
  • Resolves performance issues that could occur with certain titles and effects
  • Time reversed clips render in the background
  • Ability to use key commands to adjust Clip Appearance settings in the timeline
  • Ability to view reel number metadata located in the timecode track of video files
  • Mono audio files in a surround project export with correct volume levels
  • Drop zones no longer reset to the first frame of video after application restart
  • Fixes a performance issue which resulted from selecting multiple ranges on a single clip
  • Fixes an issue where the Play Around function did not work properly on certain clips when viewed through external video devices

Final Cut 1

As for the changes to Motion, the following items are included in the latest update, according to Apple:
  • Resolves an issue where some third-party effects generated green frames during render
  • Resolves performance issues that could occur with certain titles and effects
  • Fixes a stability issue when splitting layers in the timeline
  • Fixes an issue where launching a plug-in with a check box could require multiple clicks
  • Fixes a stability issue with CoreMelt plug-ins

Finally, the following are what Apple has listed as new in the latest update to Compressor:
  • Removes 1GB file size limit for uploads to Vimeo
  • Fixes a stability issue when playing back certain MPEG-2 files
  • Fixes a stability issue in Qmaster when processing multiple jobs

The updates coincide with a new campaign that Apple kicked off on Thursday aimed at winning back video editors to Final Cut Pro X. Video professionals were quite vocal with their dissatisfaction when Apple released the "X" update to its video editing software, as they believed it was inferior to its predecessor.

Thursday marks the eighth update to Final Cut Pro X over the last two years, as Apple has continued to incrementally restore features that were removed in the latest update, as well as add entirely new ones. The last major update came in October and added RED camera support.
post #2 of 134

From Scoopertino, the most relevant (and non-joking) part of an article:

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did Steve Jobs really state that or what some Fake Steve Jobs wannabe? To me, that sounds a bit grinding -and- verbose even for Steve Jobs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 134
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Did Steve Jobs really state that or what some Fake Steve Jobs wannabe? To me, that sounds a bit grinding -and- verbose even for Steve Jobs.

1wink.gif

post #5 of 134

I guess no Aperture love for us pro shooters... Looks like Lightroom is the way to go from now on...

post #6 of 134
Quote:

1wink.gif
Thanks, i went to the site and read the full letter but had no idea that the site was Onion-esque.

post #7 of 134
Apple lost me when they tied raw camera updates to the OS level and Aperture 3 couldn't support my camera -- because the RAW update won't install under 10.6.8.

Not everybody wants to be on the bleeding edge of OS updates. Last time I upgraded (10.5 to 10.6), it took me days to fix all the things Apple broke. Not interested in doing that again.

Fortunately, Adobe has a more sane support policy, so it was out with Aperture and in with Lightroom and back to work without any further ridiculousness.
post #8 of 134

I'm not a high end all out videographer, I have a FCX on my rMBP here more for hobby fun and because my closest friend shoots stuff all the time. I've always thought it was fine and actually pretty intuitive. However in my professional life, the agency our Marketing department works with dumped FC7 a few months after release for Avid and doesn't plan on looking back. Apparently there was a bunch of stuff that was flat out missing and couldn't get redone without large numbers of hours of work against deadlines for other clients. The cost of migrating was faster and easier and seen with better peace of mind for future upgrades. I'm more puzzled if that's true why Apple would have pushed out X only to add features of back in time. Costs aren't cheap, I'm not sure how fast many will run back that have moved. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #9 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Apple lost me when they tied raw camera updates to the OS level and Aperture 3 couldn't support my camera -- because the RAW update won't install under 10.6.8.

Not everybody wants to be on the bleeding edge of OS updates. Last time I upgraded (10.5 to 10.6), it took me days to fix all the things Apple broke. Not interested in doing that again.

Fortunately, Adobe has a more sane support policy, so it was out with Aperture and in with Lightroom and back to work without any further ridiculousness.

Agreed... Aperture is about 18 months behind Lightroom... The inbreeding between Aperture and iPhoto libraries was the killer for me... Why combine a pro app with a crappy consumer app...Stupid in my opinion...

post #10 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm more puzzled if that's true why Apple would have pushed out X only to add features of back in time. Costs aren't cheap, I'm not sure how fast many will run back that have moved. 

As an Apple fan this is was what was annoying to me as well.  You don't win back people by putting the features in years later.  They either jumped aboard at the start or are (for the most part) not going to.   You get the niche who the product is right for and the others, I would think, are not going to jump in years later when the feature they live and die by (multi cam, broadcast output, whatever) suddenly shows up.

Can't deny Apple is doing what's best for them.   It's just a harder sell a an environment for someone who needs the major tools to buy into than it used to be.

post #11 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I guess no Aperture love for us pro shooters... Looks like Lightroom is the way to go from now on...

I'm sure Aperture is waiting for a new update, just like the Logic users are waiting for Logic X.   It seems that they are changing the names and adding a "X" to the end of the product name.

Remember, they might be re-writing everything from scratch. 

I wouldn't freak out.  

People just have to be a little patient.

post #12 of 134
After waiting for an update where FCPX will work in a production environment where more than one person can get access to the same FCPX file on a NAS, the wait is over. Have no choice but to seek another avenue where the software allows you to save to any network drive you choose.
post #13 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

As an Apple fan this is was what was annoying to me as well.  You don't win back people by putting the features in years later.  They either jumped aboard at the start or are (for the most part) not going to.   You get the niche who the product is right for and the others, I would think, are not going to jump in years later when the feature they live and die by (multi cam, broadcast output, whatever) suddenly shows up.

Can't deny Apple is doing what's best for them.   It's just a harder sell a an environment for someone who needs the major tools to buy into than it used to be.

If you go to Apple's App store, there are users that give the app high marks that were originally Video Editors that didn't want to switch, but after they got used to the new UI, they like it a LOT better.   I think people are waiting for the Mac Pro to get their update, which I'm sure is any month now.

post #14 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

If you go to Apple's App store, there are users that give the app high marks that were originally Video Editors that didn't want to switch, but after they got used to the new UI, they like it a LOT better.   I think people are waiting for the Mac Pro to get their update, which I'm sure is any month now.

Oh, no doubt.  But I wasn't referring to people who didn't like the UI but rather those who couldn't make the move with missing features and functionality.

The new update looks strong.  Though I have to admit I was amused by the "mono audio files in a surround project export with correct volume levels".  Ooops.  We though no one noticed!

post #15 of 134
Quote:

Yes, except Adobe comes with a whole new set of problems: namely extremely bloated and buggy software.
post #16 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm sure Aperture is waiting for a new update, just like the Logic users are waiting for Logic X.   It seems that they are changing the names and adding a "X" to the end of the product name.

Remember, they might be re-writing everything from scratch. 

I wouldn't freak out.  

That is what some people don't get, when Apple ditched its Carbon development environment in favor of Coco it had to rewrite its programs written in Carbon from scratch.

Some high end programs like Shake we're abandoned, others like Final Cut took years to develop so it isn't an easy undertaking to rewrite. Apple also publicly said it plans to release Aperture updates.
post #17 of 134

Though I have to admit I was amused by the "mono audio files in a surround project export with correct volume levels".  Ooops.  We though no one noticed!

Couldn't possibly have been a bug¡ They obviously decided to purposely cut corners¡ Now Apple is being called out on it and forced to make it right¡ 1oyvey.gif

post #18 of 134

Except for a few features, FCPX is said to be a robust and reliable NLE solution.  Most of the features missing from the initial release have been added in 0.x point updates.  Things like MultiCam in FCPX is said to be the best implementation in any NLE.  

The fact that Apple was able to push out 8 updates in less than 2 years appears to support the reimplement-from-scratch philosophy.  The prior FCP app (FCP 7 and earlier) is long in-the-tooth, hard-to-maintain Carbon code -- and was lucky to get updates every 18 months.

Certainly, there are still a few major features missing from FCPX -- such as NAS/Collaboration.  But, FCPX is built using SQLite Databases -- and I suspect when Apple adds NAS/Collaboration to FCPX that it will be much more usable (granular) than any current solution.

What I am hearing more and more is the speed and productivity advantages that FCPX offers over other NLEs will likely be the deciding factor for many...

Simply stated:  If you want to be competitive (get editing jobs) FCPX is hard to beat!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #19 of 134
Quote:

It's hard to be patient when your projects, and therefore your money, depend features that no longer exist. Did Apple think people would stop needing to edit until they got their act together?

Edited by UrbanVoyeur - 3/28/13 at 1:25pm
post #20 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur View Post

Quote:

It's hard to be patient when your projects, and therefore you money, depend features that no longer exist. Did Apple think people would stop needing to edit unitl they got their act together?

FCP 7 (and earlier) did not stop working the day FCPX was released.  Apple EOLed FCP 7 and discontinued sales -- A mistake IMO!  Then they backtracked and allowed new sales of FCP 7 direct from apple.

In the mean time Apple has released FCPX support for XML, and 3rd-parties have written inexpensive apps to move "projects" between FCP and FCPX and other non-Apple apps.  So, if you were using features in FCP 7 (or earlier) you can continue to use them and export to FCPX if you want to use features/capabilities in FCPX.

While, today, FCPX may not be able to do everything you were/are doing with FCP 7 -- it is still a valuable tool in the tool bag -- and at $299, a bargain.

post #21 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

So, if you were using features in FCP 7 (or earlier) you can continue to use them and export to FCPX if you want to use features/capabilities in FCPX.

The topic of missing features has been covered exhaustively here and elsewhere. No reason to resurrect the list of them here.

Quote:
today, FCPX may not be able to do everything you were/are doing with FCP 7

And that is the point, 2 years on.

post #22 of 134
Quote:

Your loss. If you want continued support and new features, update your OS. Apple made it clear that was their strategy years ago, and those of us who follow their advice don't have to deal with Adobe's bloat and bugs quite as much. Aperture today may be behind on features, but it's still the best UI and DAM out there. 4 is just around the corner.
post #23 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur View Post

Quote:

So, if you were using features in FCP 7 (or earlier) you can continue to use them and export to FCPX if you want to use features/capabilities in FCPX.

The topic of missing features has been covered exhaustively here and elsewhere. No reason to resurrect the list of them here.

Quote:
today, FCPX may not be able to do everything you were/are doing with FCP 7

And that is the point, 2 years on.

Then, I suspect you will migrate to another NLE...  As the third party developers are doing little development for FCP compared to FCPX.

Just as an aside, Was FCP the only editing tool you used -- or did you use special sound editors, color editors, rotoscoping tools, 3rd-party plugins, etc?

The reason I ask is that for $300 you can get another tool, FCPX, to augment your workflow -- and improve productivity.

If nothing else, you could gain significant advantages in Log and Transfer, Clip Organization -- up to and including a first cut...  Then transfer this to FCP 7 to do whatever you can't do in FCPX.

I don't know how long it's been since you tried FCPX, but there is a 30-day free trial and some good, inexpensive training from the likes of Ripple Training, Larry Jordan, Lynda.com...  Also, the FCP 7 to FCPX and FCP X to FCP 7 export tools are inexpensive.

It might be worth taking a week or so, and spending a few bucks to try it...

You might be amazed how easy it is to edit clips without clicking your mouse (or waiting for them to be ingested), or apply effects and changes without waiting for rendering...

Those who like FCPX say it is fast, productive... and FUN!

post #24 of 134
Quote:

I am still laughing at that line ... "Adobe has a more sane support policy,"... good one. 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #25 of 134

Final Cut Pro X IS fast, productive, and fun!

If people spent half as much time training as they do complaining they would realize this fact.  

Gabriel Spaulding

Creator & Director of ACE Enterprizes

Gabriel Spaulding

post #26 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yes, except Adobe comes with a whole new set of problems: namely extremely bloated and buggy software.

You've obviously never used Aperture or spent much time with iTunes... Swing and a miss....

post #27 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Your loss. If you want continued support and new features, update your OS. Apple made it clear that was their strategy years ago, and those of us who follow their advice don't have to deal with Adobe's bloat and bugs quite as much. Aperture today may be behind on features, but it's still the best UI and DAM out there. 4 is just around the corner.

What... I almost swallowed my tongue laughing at the shear lack of facts in your post... Spend more than five minutes with Aperture and you may get a clue... Right now, in its current incarnation, Aperture is lame...

post #28 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is what some people don't get, when Apple ditched its Carbon development environment in favor of Coco it had to rewrite its programs written in Carbon from scratch.

Some high end programs like Shake we're abandoned, others like Final Cut took years to develop so it isn't an easy undertaking to rewrite. Apple also publicly said it plans to release Aperture updates.

The did make Aperture updates, but nothing substantial... Where are the lens corrections, brush-in adjustments, etc... I would not recommend Aperture to anyone, in fact I have steered three people away from it...

post #29 of 134
From what I've heard, the next generation of iMacs will have a screen that slides down so that it can also be used as a giant touch screen device on the desktop. Final Cut X was designed with this in mind so that the interface with the program will enable the user to slide shots around with the fingers, grabbing sequences with the fingertips and have a much more intuitive feel. Editing will be quick and amazing in this way and Apple will have the lead over all other editing systems. The problem is now that the hardware isn't there yet so users are stuck using a traditional interface with the new program. I still use Final Cut Pro 7 in my professional work as its still more natural for me to use (like riding a bike), but will learn the new program this next year for whenever the hardware catches up with the software.
post #30 of 134

"From what I've heard, the next generation of iMacs will have a screen that slides down so that it can also be used as a giant touch screen device on the desktop"

Where did you hear that?  This seems like pure speculation to me.  Of course, it also seems like a good idea...

Gabriel Spaulding

Gabriel Spaulding

post #31 of 134
I am still a student going to film school so I am not a pro user. But I do know how to use fcp 7, adobe premier and media composer. I tried using fcp x 10.0.7 and it is terrible. The user interface is not quicker by any means. Rendering is much slower then media composer and premier. There is no way I would recommend it.
post #32 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetter5 View Post

I am still a student going to film school so I am not a pro user. But I do know how to use fcp 7, adobe premier and media composer. I tried using fcp x 10.0.7 and it is terrible. The user interface is not quicker by any means. Rendering is much slower then media composer and premier. There is no way I would recommend it.

By your comments, I suspect that you are trying to make FCPX work like FCP 7 or another NLE.   The UI is different -- and initially frustrating.  But if you get some training, I think you will find it is fast and fun.

Here are some free sources:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/macbreak-studio/id287113664

http://www.fcp.co

http://www.fcpx.tv

post #33 of 134
Quote:

Oh, no doubt.  But I wasn't referring to people who didn't like the UI but rather those who couldn't make the move with missing features and functionality.

The new update looks strong.  Though I have to admit I was amused by the "mono audio files in a surround project export with correct volume levels".  Ooops.  We though no one noticed!

What missing features?  I thought Apple addressed all of them, especially with this new update.  What more are there missing?  Please check with the latest version of FCPX before you list them, Apple has updated the software and third parties have come out with ways to do the things that Apple didn't add.

I know some people wanted Soundtrack, but most professionals are using ProTools or Logic.  Logic X is supposed to be out this year as it's getting a re-write.  I guess it's probably safe to say that Aperture is getting a re-write and probably going to call it Aperture X.  You know how Apple likes consistent naming.

post #34 of 134

One kind of Pro user is video editors, but another is university/biotech researchers and such, who are constantly writing experimental programs and need to download and compile open source projects with no problems. I would like to see Apple redouble their efforts in making sure OS X is UNIX-compatible and keeping their man pages and packages up to date. But also pushing things forward of course! I hope those two things are not incompatible goals.

That's also where you need nice solid workstation hardware (with checksummed memory) and a big monitor.

post #35 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Actually, your gain. Lightroom 4 is brilliant.
post #36 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

From what I've heard, the next generation of iMacs will have a screen that slides down so that it can also be used as a giant touch screen device on the desktop. Final Cut X was designed with this in mind so that the interface with the program will enable the user to slide shots around with the fingers, grabbing sequences with the fingertips and have a much more intuitive feel. Editing will be quick and amazing in this way and Apple will have the lead over all other editing systems. The problem is now that the hardware isn't there yet so users are stuck using a traditional interface with the new program. I still use Final Cut Pro 7 in my professional work as its still more natural for me to use (like riding a bike), but will learn the new program this next year for whenever the hardware catches up with the software.

A screen that slides down?  I'm having a little difficulty visualizing that.  

post #37 of 134
Vertical to horizontal (which will lay nearly flat on desktop). In vertical it can be used in traditional computing fashion and in horizontal it will work as large touchscreen surface on the desktop. In horizontal mode keyboard will appear on screen with haptic feedback.
post #38 of 134
Quote:

That one made me laugh. If they went on to Avid instead, there is little chance of reclaiming them considering the required investment. 

Quote:

Adobe doesn't always update older versions of Lightroom and Photoshop with raw support for the newest cameras, but they do often validate software packages on older versions of OSX. They also offer things like the DNG converter for fringe cases. Lightroom creates far less of a mess with added instructional data. The xml files take up very little space. I would say Phocus and Capture One do a bit better when it comes to raw conversions, but Lightroom does a decent job with most cameras, especially dslrs. Their weakest point would be digital back support, but if you're using a phase one or hasselblad, you may as well use their software.

post #39 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

You've obviously never used Aperture or spent much time with iTunes... Swing and a miss....

Plenty of time with iTunes and unfortunately plenty of time with many of Adobe's expensive products. I honestly don't get peoples dissatisfaction with iTunes as it is free, and it seems to work pretty well.
post #40 of 134
Quote:

Those who like FCPX say it is fast, productive... and FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE Enterprizes View Post

Final Cut Pro X IS fast, productive, and fun! 

From Page 16 of the "FCPX Apologists Guide." I don't know if you're supposed to quote it verbatim though... (j/k 1smile.gif)

I ask with zero malice, just genuine curiosity: Dick, do you have some kind of vested interest in more people using FCPX? Why do you go to the trouble of trying to persuade others?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple updates Final Cut Pro X, Motion & Compressor in push to win back pro users