or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's 'iRadio' to reportedly launch this summer, report says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 'iRadio' to reportedly launch this summer, report says

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
In a report regarding the overall state of web streaming music, otherwise known as web radio, a music industry executive told The Verge that Apple's entry into the sector is not a matter of if, but when.

According to The Verge's report, Apple will launch its own web radio service dubbed "iRadio" this year, and is supposedly looking to rollout the system this summer.

The publication goes on to say "multiple" music industry insiders have claimed Apple has made significant progress toward securing streaming rights from Universal and Warner, two important labels representing numerous popular artists.

"iRadio is coming. There's no doubt about it anymore," one of the sources said.

iTunes


It was reported earlier in March that the launch of Apple's as-yet-unannounced service has been held up by royalty rate negotiations. Apple reportedly offered to pay 6 cents per 100 songs streamed to content owners, which is half the 12 cents per 100 songs music streaming powerhouse Pandora pays.

Record labels believe Apple should pay the rate set by the Copyright Royalty Board for companies that don't own broadcast operations, which comes out to about about 21 cents per 100 songs. That is still lower than the 36-cent rate Spotify reportedly pays out and in line with terrestrial radio-backed iHeart, which pays 22 cents per 100 tracks.

While there has been no official word from Apple regarding a so-called "iRadio," much attention has been given to the iTunes maker's entry into the segment. In September of last year, the Wall Street Journal broke news that work was being done on an Apple-branded custom music streaming solution similar to Pandora. At the time, it was thought that Apple would leverage its significant music related resources and vast installed user base to drive interest for the service, which would possibly be integrated into a new or existing iOS app.

Backing up the theory are "Radio Buy" user interface buttons found in the iOS 6.1 update, suggesting the tech giant is looking to make a move in the near future.
post #2 of 43

Does Apple really need to get into streaming radio?

 

They seem more and more like Microsoft as "me too" and going beyond their core competency.

 

Just like maps and cloud services.

 

They need to focus on what they are good at and try not to be good at everything.
 

post #3 of 43
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
"iRadio is coming. There's no doubt about it anymore," one of the sources said.

 

So when it doesn't, you'll resign and let others publicly humiliate you?

 

Didn't think so.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #4 of 43
I'm a big Apple fan...but I sure hope it's a better implementation than the recent Podcasts App.

Granted, I'm not totally sync'd in with iCloud...I'm running an orig. intel iMac with SL and an iP4s...

But sheesh, I'm getting so many duplicate podcasts that when I delete them they keep coming back...

And it will say it's today's podcast but keeps playing last week's. Ugh!

Again, could be I'm not running Lion. Yet! 1smile.gif
post #5 of 43

Seems like hear this at least once a year....

 

I would actually like some kind of spotify type setup with iOS and would be free (w/ads). I refuse to pay to steam music!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Does Apple really need to get into streaming radio?

They seem more and more like Microsoft as "me too" and going beyond their core competency.

Just like maps and cloud services.

They need to focus on what they are good at and try not to be good at everything.

 

I usually don't publicly comments on things like this but I had to break the silence when reading this comment.
Apple started off as a computer company. May I remind you that Apple's original corprate name was Apple Computer Inc. Apple moved away from it's core business ( or what it was good at, at the time ) when releasing the very first iPod! Apple moved farther away when releasing the iPhone, amd even further when releasing the iPad.
Apple and Microsoft are both very innovative companies, but Apple will never be Microsoft and Microsft will never be Apple.
Both iCloud and Apple Maps are a work in progress, Apple is working hard everyday to improve all it's services for it's customers!
post #7 of 43

Look out, Sirius... Siri is on her way, and now she's singing!

post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Does Apple really need to get into streaming radio?

They seem more and more like Microsoft as "me too" and going beyond their core competency.

Just like maps and cloud services.

They need to focus on what they are good at and try not to be good at everything.

 

It's an extention to all other content they offer. I would subscribe in a heart beat.
post #9 of 43
"iRadio" reminds me I sure wish Apple had included an FM-radio chip on the iPhone. I'd rather listen to regular radio than drain my battery and data plan with streaming audio. I happen to actually get out of the house occasionally. :/

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #10 of 43

Can they actually call it iRadio? http://www.iradio.com/

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #11 of 43
Title is redundant ... Reportedly ..., says report. Just FYI.
post #12 of 43

It's just a new way to sell existing products (music). It's something a marketing guy would come up with, rather than a proper technical innovation. I am looking forward to the next "insanely great" product.

post #13 of 43
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
It's just a new way to sell existing products (music). It's something a marketing guy would come up with, rather than a proper technical innovation. I am looking forward to the next "insanely great" product.

 

Nice to know you know exactly what it is despite knowing absolutely nothing about it whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Nice to know you know exactly what it is despite knowing absolutely nothing about it whatsoever.

I guess it's always possible that I lack imagination, and there's some insanely great world beating thing that can be done around, errr..., streaming music.

post #15 of 43
Two things I think work in Apple's favor for a lower price.

First, the sheer size of iTunes and the number of people willing to buy from iTunes. That customer base leads to point two.

The ease that they can integrate. I know some other services have click to buy in iTunes but this could literally be seemless. Wouldn't even need to leave the app. Instantly in you iTunes library. Would result in a higher purchases.
post #16 of 43

Well I got all excited when I thought iRadio would be a real radio from Apple.

How nice if it could handle AM, FM and WiFi all in one small box. 

   I'd definitely be a buyer as we need to replace our 70s radio.

 

But just streaming radio music to a computing device?  

  OK, but not enough to really excite me.
 

post #17 of 43
I will be waiting for it with great interest. I'm currently a Slacker Radio subscriber, but if Apple's iRadio can also stream offline, have a wider choice of songs to listen to, and have professional curation (just like a professional DJ on a conventional radio station), I will signup with them in a heartbeat!
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmanshah View Post

[...] (just like a professional DJ on a conventional radio station)

 

This is where I lose the plot trying to figure out why I might want a streaming music service. I already get radio, for free, out of the air. Several different formats. If the model is to mimic "conventional radio," why not just listen to conventional radio? What's the advantage of streaming over receiving?

post #19 of 43
I hope Apple has a clever idea to make this good for indie musicians that won't get 1.000.000.000 plays. Streaming is the death of royalties for indie musicians and good for big labels. It's too easy not to purchase a song or album once you've got streaming.
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

This is where I lose the plot trying to figure out why I might want a streaming music service. I already get radio, for free, out of the air. Several different formats. If the model is to mimic "conventional radio," why not just listen to conventional radio? What's the advantage of streaming over receiving?

The only advantages I could find right now are:
1) There are no ads, so I spend more time listening to actual music rather than companies pitching their case on why listeners need to buy their stuff.
2) I can skip songs, so when the currently playing song is not what I like, I can just go to the next one in the list.
3) I can continue listening to a song even though I stopped halfway. Can't do that with normal live radio.
4) I can download & listen to the stations offline. So I can still continue listening to songs even in areas of poor radio & Internet receptions.
5) I can create my own song playlist. Granted, this is an extra feature which costs more on Slacker Radio. Not sure how they would handle this in Apple iRadio when it surfaces later on.

I did have the same thoughts, why pay when free is available. But after trying it out for a few weeks, I feel very reluctant to go back to the old model of radio & forfeiting the 4 benefits I mentioned above.

It is a personal choice anyway, but I do hope it gains a lot of traction. Without customer support, I don't think the trend of streaming radio can last very long.
post #21 of 43
Ho hmmm, maybe i just don't get it but is there a need being filled here that otherwise is not being served at the moment?
post #22 of 43
Can only speak for myself here, but if it is more like Pandora and less like Spotify, no thanks. Spotify is awesome. Can't see me changing really.
post #23 of 43
streaming music... will be a wasted effort. SJ was right not to bend to subscription music years ago.

If i want random, mixed, new and old music, I simply turn on my "radio" , a novel idea that has been around for a looong time. and i get some human chat/opinion and news thrown in with it. And its doesnt cost a monthly subscription.

just put in an FM chip, built your own tuner app and have a button to "buy" the current playing song, using a shazam like background process to identify it. Simple. And put in the feature that was in the old iPod Nano to be able to pause and rewind radio. Perfect.

reminds me of an old joke.. best told by a really old grand-dad. "there she was, lying on the beach , with nothing on but the wireless"

*** Kids... the radio was called a wireless in the by-gone days. not related to WiFi. :-)
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Does Apple really need to get into streaming radio?

 

I agree that perhaps they shouldn't at this time or even ever.

 

I'm not sure I buy that they are. When they bought lala.com there were a lot of features they canned that were awesome. They tried to bring the follow features in as Ping but it flopped. Both because they never got past major bands and cause the sampling features from Lala were missing. But those features required royalty deals and such deals almost never carry over sales of services and companies. 

 

THIS return of features could be what these alleged talks are about, not a full fledged radio service like the 20 that are already being done.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Nice to know you know exactly what it is despite knowing absolutely nothing about it whatsoever.

 

Despite the fact that we have no Apple released facts I happen to agree with ascii as my comments about Lala would suggest. I too think that this isn't about a full on radio system but rather an enhancement of current iTunes Store features designed to sell more music. Which was in many ways more what Lala was even without being directly connected to iTunes. (And only iTunes)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #26 of 43
Uses too much data. Not all of us have 5Gb or unlimited data to stream our music
post #27 of 43
"Title is redundant ... Reportedly ..., says report. Just FYI."

If the report said reportedly, then saying the report reportedly reported something is just reporting what the report reported. So I'm not sure it's redundant.
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Well I got all excited when I thought iRadio would be a real radio from Apple.

How nice if it could handle AM, FM and WiFi all in one small box. 

   I'd definitely be a buyer as we need to replace our 70s radio.

 

But just streaming radio music to a computing device?  

  OK, but not enough to really excite me.
 

 

Except .. even in the 70's, buying a radio to listen to at home was already basically just for geezers.  

 

You are using 40-50 year old technology and you are somehow pissed that the new thing coming out has passed you by?  

If it weren't for all the folks listening to it because they are trapped in their cars, "radio" would have died out 30 years ago at least.  

post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

 

Despite the fact that we have no Apple released facts I happen to agree with ascii as my comments about Lala would suggest. I too think that this isn't about a full on radio system but rather an enhancement of current iTunes Store features designed to sell more music. Which was in many ways more what Lala was even without being directly connected to iTunes. (And only iTunes)

 

I agree also.  I kind of doubt that this "iRadio" will even allow access to already existing internet radio stations.  It seems more likely to be Apple's streams that they pay for upfront, provide to the user for free, and then put a "buy" button beside each song as it comes up.  Personally, I am only interested if it lets me play my own internet radio stations that I already listen to.  

 

I'm not so sure the rumour is even true in that Apple has more or less ignored Internet radio for it's entire existence.  It seems weird that they would go out of their way to support it now.  

Even more reason to believe that the product will be "streams" but not necessarily "radio."

post #30 of 43

Billy: "Dad, what was radio?"

 

Dad: "You know email spam, right?  Well it was like that but with music sprinkled in."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Billy: "Dad, what was radio?"

Dad: "You know email spam, right?  Well it was like that but with music sprinkled in."

You summed it all up perfectly. Fact is, streaming music is just like conventional radio, WITHOUT the ads.

In reality, nothing is free, not even conventional radio. We don't directly pay for the songs outright, but we pay with the time we have to listen to ads. The difference with streaming radio is that we pay directly to the streaming radio company to avoid having to listen to ads.

It all boils down to what really is more precious to you: your time/sanity, or your money.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmanshah View Post


The only advantages I could find right now are:
1) There are no ads, so I spend more time listening to actual music rather than companies pitching their case on why listeners need to buy their stuff.
2) I can skip songs, so when the currently playing song is not what I like, I can just go to the next one in the list.
3) I can continue listening to a song even though I stopped halfway. Can't do that with normal live radio.
4) I can download & listen to the stations offline. So I can still continue listening to songs even in areas of poor radio & Internet receptions.
5) I can create my own song playlist. Granted, this is an extra feature which costs more on Slacker Radio. Not sure how they would handle this in Apple iRadio when it surfaces later on.

I did have the same thoughts, why pay when free is available. But after trying it out for a few weeks, I feel very reluctant to go back to the old model of radio & forfeiting the 4 benefits I mentioned above.

It is a personal choice anyway, but I do hope it gains a lot of traction. Without customer support, I don't think the trend of streaming radio can last very long.

 

Thanks, that's helpful. I didn't know you can do any of those things. I thought it was just a linear stream like OTA radio.

post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Except .. even in the 70's, buying a radio to listen to at home was already basically just for geezers. 

 

Are you sure? I was still a kid in the 70's, but I don't recall radio being viewed as geezerly. I had both a portable radio and a clock radio in my room, both of which I listened to a lot.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You are using 40-50 year old technology

 

Right? We all know that anything old is automatically bad. Like TV. And cars. And... well, you get the idea. 1wink.gif

 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

[...] and you are somehow pissed that the new thing coming out has passed you by?

 

Huh? I don't recall seeing anything anywhere in the thread that would suggest anyone feels left behind. Some have questioned whether there's any reason for Apple to get involved in that market, and some have questioned whether there's even enough benefit to make the concept viable long term, but I don't see anyone crying the blues.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If it weren't for all the folks listening to it because they are trapped in their cars, "radio" would have died out 30 years ago at least.

 

Probably true. So how do I get Pandora in my car?

post #34 of 43
I'm calling it now......it won't be called 'iRadio'...... It will be called the iTunes Tuner or iTuneR......no need for iRadio when you have iTunes already and a Tuner is a conventional name of a radio....Duh!!!!.....
post #35 of 43
Originally Posted by App-Guru View Post
…a Tuner is a conventional name of a radio….Duh!!!!.....

 

Kids don't know what a tuner is. Kids probably don't know what a television set is. 

 

And the name iTunes and iTuner? You HONESTLY think they'll have two names that similar simultaneously?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Are you sure? I was still a kid in the 70's, but I don't recall radio being viewed as geezerly. I had both a portable radio and a clock radio in my room, both of which I listened to a lot.

 

Heck, throughout the '70s, boomboxes became popular and every kid owned such a radio / tape player for both portable and home use.

 

Definitely everyone owned a home clock radio, especially if you wanted to wake up at college :)

post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Kids don't know what a tuner is. Kids probably don't know what a television set is. 

And the name iTunes and iTuner? You HONESTLY think they'll have two names that similar simultaneously?

No but I bet they will still use TUNER in some way......... I'd put money on it if I could...... Everything Apple creates doesn't have an "i" in front of it..... There is no iApp Store or iFaceTime,... I'll grant you the iSight camera that resurfaced lately, but the i is usually intended for hardware and not for functions or added iTunes categories,.... So you may hate on my theory, but it makes a billion times more sense than drawing the conclusion of iRadio.....

And yeah, I'm familiar with iMessages, but the use of i is on the way out....
Edited by App-Guru - 3/31/13 at 10:35am
post #38 of 43
Originally Posted by App-Guru View Post
…the i is usually intended for hardware…

 

iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, iPhoto, iBooks, iMessage… 


…added iTunes categories…

 

If it's an 'added iTunes category', it will just be called 'Radio' and supplant the existing radio option. If it's a standalone service, you can bet there'll be an i in front of it.


So you may hate on my theory, but it makes a billion times more sense than drawing the conclusion of iRadio...

 

Sounds like you exaggerate a billion times a day. 

 

"Tuner" makes less sense than "radio", as tuning implements transcend musical use.


…the use of i is on the way out….

 

That explains why they keep creating new products and services that use it, huh? 1oyvey.gif

 

The i is generally used for services that use the Internet. Guess what a mythical radio service would use.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #39 of 43
Lol...... You have some poor examples for your argument ..... iWeb is gone..... iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD are very poor examples of i=Internet

iBooks was a long time ago and newsstand there's no i... iCal is pretty old too and contacts and Airplay don't have an i

I'll give you iCloud as the only recent i service Apple has recently provided, but it's certainly not an example of a renewed approach to name services,.... Overall Apple is clearly focusing less on the i naming scheme.....


You think I exaggerate, but I just speak the truth..... Grow up and look at the facts and don't get so butt hurt when someone challenges your assertions..... Your immaturity is showing and it clearly identifies you as a very childish moderator.

You can have your opinion and I will have mine, but to say i exaggerate is just that... an exaggeration. based on facts your iRadio assertion is ridiculous..
post #40 of 43
Originally Posted by App-Guru View Post
…iWeb is gone….. iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD are very poor examples of i=Internet…

 

You have both moved the goalposts from the original argument and are combining unrelated statements to attempt to make a point.

 

Don't do that.


…iBooks was a long time ago…

 

No, it's right now, in fact. The iBook was a long time ago. I'm actually quite surprised you think it was a long time ago but AREN'T pointing out that "it's hardware", as part of your refutation. 

 

…and newsstand there's no i… 

That's probably why I said absolutely nothing whatsoever about Newsstand… 1confused.gif


…iCal is pretty old too and contacts…

 

Ah, I'd forgotten about iCal—which further makes my point—thank you. Though it is "Calendar" now. And Address Book was never given an "i" name, so why you'd bring it up is beyond me.


…and Airplay don't have an i…

That's probably why I said absolutely nothing whatsoever about AirPlay… 1confused.gif


I'll give you iCloud… 

 

Interestingly enough, I'd also forgotten about iCloud—which further makes my point—thank you.


…as the only recent i service Apple has recently provided…

 

iBooks, iMessage, iAds, which I've also just remembered.


…but it's certainly not an example of a renewed approach to name services…. 

 

And since that was never claimed, good job refuting something that wasn't up for refutation. If they never stopped doing something, the continuation of doing it obviously isn't an example of "renewal" thereof.


Overall Apple is clearly focusing less on the i naming scheme...

 

And now we're back to your original statement, which is just as wrong as it was the first time, only now you're claiming you're right by having made up some more arguments. Nice waste of time.


You think I exaggerate, but I just speak the truth..... Grow up and look at the facts and don't get so butt hurt when someone challenges your assertions...

 

This would be an infraction said to anyone else. Please take note of this in the future. If your argument hadn't already been lost due to lack of fact, it would have been de facto lost because of this behavior. 


Your immaturity…

 

*ahem* "butt-hurt"… 


…but to say i exaggerate is just that… an exaggeration. based on facts your iRadio assertion is ridiculous..


It's exactly as ridiculous as your assertion, which is based in exactly as many facts as mine. Don't do this in the future.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's 'iRadio' to reportedly launch this summer, report says