or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Where does Apple take iOS next?

Editorial: Where does Apple take iOS next? - Page 4

post #121 of 162
Originally Posted by exbusfish View Post
Is there any reason that iPhone, iPad, AppleTV and Mac OSX apps cannot work together?  Share data, last saved state, act as a controller (ala remote app for iOS for AppleTV).   We see the WiiU as  a commercial flop, but that is not due to the software, which is quite neat. 

Not at all. And who sees the WiiU as a "flop"?!

I disagree.  Having iOS apps on my AppleTV sounds like a great idea, especially where you can use the iOS device as a controller and content is displayed through  AppleTV.

See, you can already do that. But the UI should not be there. They can't work the same.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 3/31/13 at 12:03pm
post #122 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

This is already the case as you noted.

But the remote is only one very small isolated example.  Where is the Apple app that allows you to use the iPhone as a remote for the Mac?  Other cross-use examples?

post #123 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not at all. And who sees the WiiU as a "flop"?!

See, you can already do that. But the UI should not be there. They can't work the same.

They do: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/03/gamestop-nintendo-wii-u-sales-disappointing/

Quote:
The sales of the Nintendo Wii U have been a topic of interest for many gamers as it’s obvious the company is having some trouble getting people to pick up its “next-gen” console. With only 64,000 units sold last month, it’ll only be just a few short weeks until we hear how terribly it did in March, but GameStop’s President Tony Bartel gave us a glimpse into how exactly the console is doing in its stores.

“I still think that there is tremendous opportunity from a consumer standpoint, that they do not understand the tethered tablet, the way that the gameplay worked. I think that the marketing has not broken through the level that it needs to, and in spite of efforts of our team to really talk about that, and educate consumers about that, I think that we still have an education process we need to go through. More importantly, I think where you’re really going to see Wii U take off is when there is a strong first-party title, that’s what we’ve always seen. And the fact that we really did launch without a strong first-party title, I think we’re seeing the ramifications of that today.”

I dont think that using AppleTV as a content creation device makes sense, but why can't it be a gaming device.  Showing content via AirPlay is a great step forward, but it is not enabled in every app yet nor is it as plug and play as it could be.  Think of your iOS and Mac household working in concert together where you dont have to think about which device you use, but your investment in apps, movies, music as well as documents and pictures are there and available.

post #124 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

But all that hardware, will it continue selling as well if they came with Windows and Android?  They make money through hardware sales but those sales occur because of the OS (i.e. software).  OS-X and iOS are Apple's primary differentiating feature, or in marketing talk, unique selling proposition.

If iPad min was plastic with a cheaper build quality would it have sold as well as it did?  I think it's the whole package that is the differentiator.  If Macs had the same build quality as Acer PC's would they still sell as well as they do because of OS X?  I doubt it.  The best thing about iOS is the wealth of great 3rd party apps.  Many of which are better than Apple's apps.  My podcast app of choice is not Apple's, it's Downcast.  And many people use Chrome, GMail and Google maps over Apple's offerings.  Hopefully Apple s committed to doing something about this.  The changes to their Podcasts app is a start.

post #125 of 162

Every new console has a dearth of games at launch, meaning a dearth of sales. These people have worse memory than me.

Showing content via AirPlay is a great step forward, but it is not enabled in every app yet nor is it as plug and play as it should be.

You mean.

post #126 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Please don't knock widgets. Knock the implementation not the feature.

And iPhone already has a widget. Anyone who's ever listened to music on an iPhone and wanted to skip a song has used a widget. It's that thing in the lockscreen that allows you faster access to the controls of the music app. Implemented correctly they are a nice addition to any mobile device.

exactly. actually, the the double button press/slide left bottom control pane collects several key UI controls in one place: orientation lock, brightness, media playback, AirPlay, and volume, plus a Music app shortcut. i use it often.

the one new control pane like that i would also use a lot would present some connectivity settings that are now two/three steps deep in the Settings app. WiFi and Bluetooth mainly. since you need to access them anytime you connect to a different network or accessory. (AirPlay is already built in/available to all apps directly) otherwise, i don't think any more widgets are really needed. many apps act just like a widget anyway, in terms of presenting multiple external feeds updated constantly. or even internal info about what your iDevice is doing.

some point to OSX widgets as a reason why iOS should have widgets too. but actually, OSX widgets are really much more like iOS apps - simple single purpose functions - but of course designed for a mouse, not touch, UI. i just wish Apple would let me put them/open them up on the regular desktop in a window instead of forcing them into a desktop overlay that interrupts whatever else i am doing.

post #127 of 162
Quote:

I dont think that using AppleTV as a content creation device makes sense, but why can't it be a gaming device.  Showing content via AirPlay is a great step forward, but it is not enabled in every app yet nor is it as plug and play as it could be.  Think of your iOS and Mac household working in concert together where you dont have to think about which device you use, but your investment in apps, movies, music as well as documents and pictures are there and available.

many comments address how iOS needs some kind of physical game controller. the best article i've seen on this topic a few months ago at iLounge:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/duo-games-duo-gamer/

the key point in this very good overview is: "No universal game controller support has been built into iOS, so developers need to add support to their games one at a time."

That is the key flaw that Apple really needs to solve with iOS 7. once there is a game UI standard built into iOS, many companies like Logitech will design generic control hardware for iDevices. like snap-in magnetic frames that hold them with the buttons and joysticks outside.

Apple TV never needs to be more than an AirPlay big screen link for iOS games. and as far as i know, any iOS app can access AirPlay out now, if the developer wants to. and it's pretty much plug-and-play for me. there are a few quirks with some apps, like automatic but wrong aspect choices. not sure where the glitch lies for that - could be the TV's auto settings too.

post #128 of 162

finally, the "holy grail" UI improvement i would love to see in iOS 7 is some kind of biometric master password interface. voice, face, fingerprint, whatever. fussing with passwords is far an away the #1 big pain in the butt in my entire digital life. the first company to introduce a foolproof automatic individual recognition UI throughout its entire OS for everyones' apps will conquer the world.

post #129 of 162
Panoramas are in the iPhone 4S, too.
post #130 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Not clear what new revenues a larger screen would generate? Enormous is the answer. EVERYONE in Asia is going for larger screen Samsungs. I filled in a form the other day where everyone in my "workgroup" had to put the model number of their phones and tablets. I was the only one out of 15 who had an iphone or ipad. Everyone else had Samsung stuff. This wasn't the case a year ago. Asia loves bigger mobile devices.

Not sure where you get that idea. I can go outside on any day (and my city is like mostly Asians) and you'll basically see nothing but iPhones. No blackberries, no dumbphones, no Android alternatives.

Like it feels embarassing now to use anything that isn't a smartphone. That's the point. If you're not using an iPhone, you're basically "don't get it" and get treated like you treat your grandma with technology. I know my grandma won't touch a computer, and my mother won't use the PC if she doesn't have to. 10 years ago, older people were still hanging on to analog bag-phones when 2G TDMA phones were mostly the norm out here.

Each country has their own domestic cell phone companies. EU has Nokia, US has Apple and Motorola, Canada has Blackberry. China has Huawei, Korea has Samsung and LG, Japan has Sony-Ericcson. In those markets their domestic phones are a lot more visible. However the build quality of the iPhone is far superior to anything anyone else has put out. If you buy an iPhone you can easily keep it till the battery wears out, where as all these asian brands will probably die while still under contract with the carrier. In countries without carrier subsidies, these cheaper huawei and LG phones are disposable.
post #131 of 162
Quote:

Wait, how was the XServe a 'flop'? They sold it for 9 years.

I'm liking just about everything else here. In before Gatorguy's prediction of "how many pages this piece will drum up on a weekend".

Apple didn't want to spend the resources necessary to get the XServe platform to garner enough Enterprise business, so they just relegate it for small workgroup/small business, which it does just OK.  Most businesses are using either Windows or Linux these days as that's what the IT people know and are familiar with.  it's unfortunate, but Apple just decided the iPhone and iPad product line was going to be more fruitful (no pun intended) than the XServe line.

It's kind of difficult to bring out a server platform that doesn't support Windows and Linux these days.  Sad, but true.

post #132 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not a chance. The new mantra for anything coming from Apple is "yawnnnn." From tech blogs to stock analysts, to the troll cadre right here on AI, nothing Apple does anymore is worth a plug nickel. The troll talking point of "iOS feels old and stale" has permeated the tech universe. You read it on every blog, a falsehood that has taken on a life of its own and has become true by simple repetition.

All you have to do is look at @ ankleskater's reply to your post. It's all a big joke now to these types.

I have no need to look at "ankleskater's" posts. I blocked him awhile ago and don't miss the trolling a bit.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #133 of 162
Quote:

But the remote is only one very small isolated example.  Where is the Apple app that allows you to use the iPhone as a remote for the Mac?  Other cross-use examples?

Why must Apple create every app for iOS? Android gets a pass on virtually every feature function as very little functionality is native but Apple must provide every feature and function natively?
post #134 of 162
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post
…the first company to introduce a foolproof automatic individual recognition UI throughout its entire OS for everyones' apps will conquer the world.

There's the rub, eh?

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
Why must Apple create every app for iOS? Android gets a pass on virtually every feature function as very little functionality is native but Apple must provide every feature and function natively?

I think part of it is, "Oh, Android doesn't have it? Add it yourself!" compared to "Apple doesn't have that; they better add it."

post #135 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I also think Apple was dumb by not allowing turn by turn on older iPhones, like the 3GS and 4. Google's app does, and now those users are probably using Google's app. 

It was actually Google that wouldn't allow turn-by-turn in their 'co-owned' Google Maps App, which is why Apple in the end had to make their own Maps app and give Google the flick. They were purposely holding back features that they were building into the Android version.
post #136 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsun Zu View Post

Hello Edge,

1. No easy system-wide sharing:I am not sure what you mean by this. I can share most of the things (pics, videos) through email, twitter, facebook, icloud, photo stream etc. It also have system wide Facebook and Twitter integration.

2. A keyboard that does not change to capital letters when hitting shift key (only small shift key lights up): It does. One tap on the shift key will Capitalize the next letter. If you double tap the shift key, all following characters will be CAPITALIZED.

3. Too small of screen for my old man eyes (ok, this is hardware, not iOS): Its an Hardware issue
. Also the iPhone has the best size in my opinion. However, different people may have different requirements, so a bigger (or even smaller) screen can suit others.

Is it too much to ask for these few improvements to iOS? No

I mean really, Android solved each of these complaints years ago. 
I don't think these are problems to most people. As I pointed out, two of the three things you mentioned is already available in iPhone and the third is also subject to debate, not an automatic "deficiency".

1. By system-wide sharing, I assume he means sharing between apps, ie if I have a photo in the photos app I want to open in Camera+, I can't do this via the OS. I need to open the Camera+ app and import it.

2. He means that they keyboard doesn't give an indication of whether you're typing in capital or lowercase, ie the keyboard always displays capitals whether or not shift or shift lock is pressed.

3. Oh well.
post #137 of 162
I hope iOS will allow two apps to run side by side so you can view two at once. Now that there are so many iPads out there, this would be a handy feature. The Touch and phone screens are so small the functionality of it was questionable but not now since there are iPads on every corner.
post #138 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

1. By system-wide sharing, I assume he means sharing between apps, ie if I have a photo in the photos app I want to open in Camera+, I can't do this via the OS. I need to open the Camera+ app and import it.

2. He means that they keyboard doesn't give an indication of whether you're typing in capital or lowercase, ie the keyboard always displays capitals whether or not shift or shift lock is pressed.

3. Oh well.

1. Camera+ has access to the Camera Roll if enabled.

2. Except that the keyboard does provide an indication of uppercase and lowercase.

See the difference is that Android is so deficient in so many areas that ridiculous workarounds must be created apparently.
post #139 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G View Post

I hope iOS will allow two apps to run side by side so you can view two at once. Now that there are so many iPads out there, this would be a handy feature. The Touch and phone screens are so small the functionality of it was questionable but not now since there are iPads on every corner.

What is the use case?
post #140 of 162
Just a thought, I'm sure many others have had, but is the home button still necessary? Is it integrated into the software enough to justify the use of space? It seems it could be easily replaced with a gesture a la the notification swipe down. Maybe a down swipe for multitasking and a swipe back up for home. Can anyone think of a remaining justification for this hardware component that can't be done purely with iOS?
post #141 of 162
Originally Posted by SignalVelocity View Post
Just a thought, I'm sure many others have had, but is the home button still necessary?

Yep!

Is it integrated into the software enough to justify the use of space?

"Full" integration would still require it.

Can anyone think of a remaining justification for this hardware component that can't be done purely with iOS?

"What happens when your app freezes?"

post #142 of 162
Quote:

Yep!

"Full" integration would still require it.

"What happens when your app freezes?"

I guess I rarely need to use the home button due to app freeze, or rarely notice at least. If this is the remaining justification it could creatively be remedied by use of another hardware button in the event of an app freeze. A double click off the power button?
post #143 of 162
Originally Posted by SignalVelocity View Post
I guess I rarely need to use the home button due to app freeze, or rarely notice at least. If this is the remaining justification it could creatively be remedied by use of another hardware button in the event of an app freeze. A double click off the power button?

Ah, but how do you distinguish a double click from a normal sleep? Do you compromise the standard sleep experience for that? 

You can't beat the simplicity of the Home Button for actions, either. Is a regular person going to remember "pinch with five fingers" or "push this button"? Particularly when "pinch with two fingers" does something else in the first place.

post #144 of 162
Quote:
What features are you wishing for in iOS 7?

I'm still pretty happy with my iPad 2 and everything I can do with it.  But since the question was asked:

1.  Multi-tasking/windowing, at least in a limited fashion.  Such as being able to play videos in a little window while reading emails or web-browsing.  I think Win 8 and Android already do this, but its not nearly enough to lure me away from iOS.

2.  Guest accounts where I can limit what can be done/viewed.  I doubt this will happen since I think Apple would rather everyone buy their own device.  If so, at least let me password-protect the mail app and settings, and allow for separate Safari profiles.

3.  A nice-to-have would be a revamp of the home screen.  Make it more customizable.  Allow apps to publish info to their home screen icons and allow those icons to be resizable.  Or add support for 3rd-party home screen widgets like weather, sports scores, news, etc.  Let me decide which icons/widgets can be viewed on the lock screen.  Also, give customers the choice of keeping their "classic" home screen, or going with the new "Active" one.

I'm sure anything else Apple comes up with will be interesting.
post #145 of 162
Two technologies ought to be very near market: voice activation of third party apps and language independence of that voice activation. Given the elegant way Apple does things, it makes sense that we be able to control our third party apps with SIRI regardless of the language we speak.

Since SIRI speaks and understands (the meaning and not just the words of) so many languages, wouldn't it be great if developers could make us multilingual apps that run in 50-plus languages? The problem is that the developer doesn't want to have to outsource all of that translation. But if Apple took care of all of that through SIRI, the developers could make us apps following strict coding practices that would give apps a VERY wide reach across the globe. (Hey Apple: give us budding developers a LANGUAGE API!)

And please give us third party apps and complete voice control of our iPod nanos (iWatches). For everyone physically active, it makes sense to have an iWatch that runs third party apps to track our sport of choice. Whether weightlifting, running, hiking, yoga, cycling, users will use friendly, SMALL apps running on a SMALL, WEARABLE device to track performance. This could change the way the world does things just as much as the iPod, iPhone and iPad. Syncs our calendar, mini email viewer, voice activated. It just makes sense.
post #146 of 162
Originally Posted by Apres587 View Post
Such as being able to play videos in a little window while reading emails or web-browsing.

What's the point of that? AirPlay.

…resizable.

That's never happening. 

post #147 of 162

Sprint Nextel style Direct-Connect please, WITH a dedicated (but programmable) button.  

I would also like to see seamless Cellular to WiFi and WiFi to Cellular handoffs for ALL types of data including phone calls like T-Mobile offers!  Apple also needs to find a way to DRAMATICALLY improve AT&T's voice quality -- make all calls over a non-voice cellular codec or something improved -- today it is hideous compared to FaceTime audio quality!  At least T-Mobile is adopting the wideband audio of iPhone 5!  http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/09/12Apple-Introduces-iPhone-5.html

post #148 of 162

Oh, and please FINALLY add the ability to select the audio output for the Phone application!  No reason I should not be able to select a dock connector output destination or an AirPlay destination for the phone!  This is LONG overdue!!!

post #149 of 162
Quote:
What's the point of that? AirPlay.

The point is: what if I don't want to sit in front of a TV in order to do two things at once with my iPad?  For example, I'm taking the train to work and would like to watch live news and get a head start on emails.

post #150 of 162
Android is stiff competition for iOS right now. I say, do what Android can't - bring it up to parity with OS X and then go beyond it.
post #151 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Sprint Nextel style Direct-Connect please, WITH a dedicated (but programmable) button.  

I would also like to see seamless Cellular to WiFi and WiFi to Cellular handoffs for ALL types of data including phone calls like T-Mobile offers!  Apple also needs to find a way to DRAMATICALLY improve AT&T's voice quality -- make all calls over a non-voice cellular codec or something improved -- today it is hideous compared to FaceTime audio quality!  At least T-Mobile is adopting the wideband audio of iPhone 5!  http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/09/12Apple-Introduces-iPhone-5.html

I don't see how these features are possible without carrier support.
post #152 of 162
The point is: what if I don't want to sit in front of a TV in order to do two things at once with my iPad?  For example, I'm taking the train to work and would like to watch live news and get a head start on emails.

Okay, so why would you ever want to do what you want to do in the first place? You can't compose while watching something. And the brain doesn't operate like that in the first place.

post #153 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In fact, the "nano as watch" concept came from other sources, was not promoted by Apple and pretty much the only support they ever gave it was the fact that several months after people started using namos as watches, Apple released a few watch faces for it. Other than that, Apple provided no support at all for the concept of a watch and the concept wasn't theirs in the first place.

This is just revisionist claptrap.

When Steve Jobs introduced the nano, he showed off the watch face and mentioned that one of the board members planned to wear it as a watch. It's true that it wasn't until version 1.2 of the software that they added another 17 watch faces, but the idea was there from the very start, explicitly mentioned and supported by Apple.
post #154 of 162
Quote:

Okay, so why would you ever want to do what you want to do in the first place? You can't compose while watching something. And the brain doesn't operate like that in the first place.

Sure it does.  You don't watch TV while web-surfing, texting, tweeting, emailing, etc?

post #155 of 162
Sure it does.

No, we work better when doing one task. People who think they're better at "multitasking" are worse than people who think they're not (and who don't try to do 50 things at once). Why should the UI/X be compromised to make room for sub-par crap?

You don't watch TV while web-surfing, texting, tweeting, emailing, etc?

No.

post #156 of 162
Quote:

No, we work better when doing one task. People who think they're better at "multitasking" are worse than people who think they're not (and who don't try to do 50 things at once). Why should the UI/X be compromised to make room for sub-par crap?

No.

Who's doing 50 things at once?  I just want to do two.  If you can't chew gum and walk at the same time, that's your problem.  Because you can't see yourself using a feature means that no one should have access to it?

post #157 of 162
Who's doing 50 things at once?  I just want to do two.  If you can't chew gum and walk at the same time, that's your problem.  Because you can't see yourself using a feature means that no one should have access to it?

We're back to the original argument, wherein this system won't work and there's no reason to ruin the UI/X to provide something that people won't use in the first place.

post #158 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

What everyone means is that with iOS, the letters on the keyboard are always shown in UPPERCASE:

Whereas, on keyboards on other OSes, the letters switch to match the Shifted Case state:

Considering how much Steve Jobs slammed hardcoded keyboards during the iPhone debut as being inferior to software-changeable ones, it's silly that the iOS keyboard does not visually switch cases to help the user.

Couldn't agree more. I love my iPhone but the keyboard could use some major upgrades and functionality... I have had my iPhone 4 about 2 years now, before that I had several Motorola android phones, several because I kept having to replace them... Although I have gotten pretty good at typing on the iPhone because of the great auto-correct Apple has; I do miss Swype typing, I had gotten very fast with it. I wish I could use it on this phone without jailbreaking it. 

ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos

post #159 of 162
Quote:

Sure it does.  You don't watch TV while web-surfing, texting, tweeting, emailing, etc?

Nobody does.

You may have the TV ON whilst you're doing those things but you cannot actually engage with it - as in listen to (and perhaps follow plot and) dialog and comprehend it - at the same time as you're actually thinking about and typing what you are composing in a message or what you are actually reading on a web page.

Of course most TV doesn't actually require any attention as it's action, noise and colour and if that's the case and you are concurrently aimlessly surfing the web, flicking from page to page whilst writing emails that have no meaning and plenty of spelling and grammatical errors then I'd allow that it is possible to do them all at once. 1rolleyes.gif

post #160 of 162
That article was either one of the most stupid, poorly written articles I've ever read or it's a wonderful April Fool's gag. . .
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Where does Apple take iOS next?