or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Where does Apple take iOS next?

Editorial: Where does Apple take iOS next? - Page 2

post #41 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

When someone finds an actual use for a widget then maybe they will. I have yet to find an Android user give me an example if a useful widget despite repeatedly asking.

That's getting more in the spirit: Throw an Android comment if you want to encourage more replies. 3 pages might not be unrealistic if we don't have to stay on-topic.

Personally I think it might be one release too soon to see a major influence by Mr. Ive, but I do expect to see some important changes, yes perhaps including "widgets". Anyway, Apple has way too much engineering talent to be left behind by any competing mobile platform. They're going to deliver some surprises.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/30/13 at 2:39pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #42 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

When someone finds an actual use for a widget then maybe they will. I have yet to find an Android user give me an example if a useful widget despite repeatedly asking.

Geeks love them (for some reason), and won't shut up about them, and when Apple finally gets around to offering them the bitching will go on.

post #43 of 162
Not clear what new revenues a larger screen would generate? Enormous is the answer. EVERYONE in Asia is going for larger screen Samsungs. I filled in a form the other day where everyone in my "workgroup" had to put the model number of their phones and tablets. I was the only one out of 15 who had an iphone or ipad. Everyone else had Samsung stuff. This wasn't the case a year ago. Asia loves bigger mobile devices.
post #44 of 162

Yeah, no matter how many articles I read about widgets, I just can't see how I would ever use them (or WANT to use them).  It's fine to add something like widgets to iOS if lots of people want them.  I can just ignore them.  But I honestly don't get the appeal, at all.

post #45 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Geeks love them (for some reason), and won't shut up about them, and when Apple finally gets around to offering them the bitching will go on.

I sure don't know why either, but one theory would be that the geek mind is more narcissistically inclined to want his technology to serve him, as if he were important in the world. Thus the Android robot fetishism, the need to see little data changes on the screen just for him at all times, on so on.

The Apple user is maybe more inclined to think of his phone or his pad as a gateway to another world, or as an instrument for connection. It's a more literary attitude, likely to be irritated by tweaky messages apprearing by themselves. Which is why geeks find iOS "boring."
post #46 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Wonder if we will ever find out what Steve Jobs' revelation was, on how to make TV easier to use.

Ooooo I know, put a big knob on it and have no more than 8 channels.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #47 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Like they say in Hollywood, "There aren't any new stories, but there's always a new audience."
WebTV failed in the '90s.  Google TV was the same concept plus broadband and hi-def.

Also, as P.T. Barnum is reputed to have said, "There's a sucker born every minute."
Google knows this and they continually try to exploit the easily-tech-amused with products like Google TV.
It sucks, but it's complex and technical and awkward.  Therefore it attracts alpha-geek-wannabes.
Google's problem is that although the company itself is composed of a bunch of geeks, the mass market isn't.
They build products to amuse themselves, and expect those products to sell to the general public.  
Oops.

(FYI, the "sucker" phrase was first said by David Hannum, not Barnum.)

But they can't shrug off the Motorola acquisition.  That "expensive experiment" consumed 1.5 years of profit.

They'll need to differentiate the Motoroogle phone not just with hardware tweaks but with OS tweaks as well.

We've seen how poorly the Nexus phones have sold.  Generic OS.  Generic hardware.  "Reference" design.

[crickets...]

Differentiating the Motoroogle phone means giving it proprietary OS features that only it has.

And that means forking Android yet again.  There will be a new "Motoroogle fork."

The only question is whether it will come before or after the Samsung fork.

Sure, Google will continue to ship a trailing-edge boilerplate Android release with basic features.

(The best features being reserved for just the Motoroogle phone and possibly a tablet as well.)

The hopeless generic Android handset makers, all selling exclusively to the Chinese market, 

all of whom are competing against each other's Chinese-only "ecosystems" and against Google Play,

will snap up that generic release, do the quickest, dirtiest, cheapest hacks on it, then try to

beat each other to market and to push each other off the low-price cliff.  (The classic "race to the bottom"

among undifferentiated whitebox vendors with zero brand loyalty among their users.)

And none of the Chinese Generics (tm) will generate one single yuan of revenue for Google.

Meanwhile, Google will keep the best new features to itself.  They might mash them into the "generic"

fork a year or two after they ship those features in their Motoroogle phone.  But said features will be

the only way that Google has any chance of differentiating its Motoroogle phone from Samsung's.

Google has to do it.  Because otherwise, the Motorola acquisition (and the entire Android project itself)

will be their most "expensive experiment."  And Samsung will take control of Android with their own

Samsung Fork, which will become the de facto standard due to sheer market share.  And no
ne of
that massive Samsung slice of the Android pie will be worth a single penny to Google, because Samsung
has their own ecosystem now.  Google absolutely must generate revenue through Google Play, and they
only way to guarantee that, and to control their own destiny, is to sell a successful Motoroogle phone
(and maybe a pad later) that is connected to Google Play.

~$20 billion in the hole already.  

Time to start climbing.  FAST.

I don't think Google changing their OS is forking Android, now forking the other manufacturers is more like it.
post #48 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Not clear what new revenues a larger screen would generate? Enormous is the answer. EVERYONE in Asia is going for larger screen Samsungs. I filled in a form the other day where everyone in my "workgroup" had to put the model number of their phones and tablets. I was the only one out of 15 who had an iphone or ipad. Everyone else had Samsung stuff. This wasn't the case a year ago. Asia loves bigger mobile devices.

I thought Asia was poor and is waiting for a cheap iPhone. A 5" iPhone will be released when Apple knows it will be ready and profitable.
post #49 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I sure don't know why either, but one theory would be that the geek mind is more narcissistically inclined to want his technology to serve him, as if he were important in the world. Thus the Android robot fetishism, the need to see little data changes on the screen just for him at all times, on so on.

The Apple user is maybe more inclined to think of his phone or his pad as a gateway to another world, or as an instrument for connection. It's a more literary attitude, likely to be irritated by tweaky messages apprearing by themselves. Which is why geeks find iOS "boring."

If all widgets did was make tweaky messages appear then you'd have a case but they don't. A great many widgets look exactly like a app icon but when pressed they preform a specified task instead of doing it through the app.
post #50 of 162

I am happy with iOS but I do think it needs some changes. 

I know many seem to balk at the idea of widgets, but some are very useful. Unfortunately the work phone provided to me is a Samescum Galaxy Note 2. One widget that I do find extremely useful is the widget for a flashlight app I have. It's basically a button on the home screen I just have to press once and the flashlight turns on. I would love to have a flashlight button on the iPhone instead of opening up and turning it on through an app. I do like the weather.com widget as well. That one is very useful to me. Instead of having to open the app, all the weather information I need is on the screen for quick viewing. Speaking of widgets, I would like the ability to have larger icon widgets on the screen for say the weather widget for example. 

I would like to see the ability to share iWork documents in iCloud between other users. Something that is similar to the way Dropbox works.

Siri needs some improvements as well. It would be nice for Siri to be able to give us more answers without searching the web. Siri could pull information from wikipedia or for medical questions, get the information from a site like WebMD. One thing that would be cool would be able to set up Siri to read news headlines as the sound for the alarm clock. 

I am looking forward to seeing what the new features will be in iOS 7. 

post #51 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I thought Asia was poor and is waiting for a cheap iPhone. A 5" iPhone will be released when Apple knows it will be ready and profitable.

I would sugest if you think everyone in Asia is poor you put down the US propaganda media you are consuming and open your eyes. In Hong Kong, Singapore and the other big cities around Asia Samsung is taking huge market share and these people have lots of disposable income. This to me is a classic case along the line of Nokia's lack of entry into the smartphone arena a few years ago. Apple, with its Many of its executives and their typically unworldly US style world view, they are missing the next revolution taking place NOW. Big screen phones.
post #52 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If all widgets did was make tweaky messages appear then you'd have a case but they don't. A great many widgets look exactly like a app icon but when pressed they preform a specified task instead of doing it through the app.
Still doesn't make them useful for anything. PC's have had widgets forever and yet I rarely see anyone use them.
post #53 of 162
I finding the iPhone a little tired. I still love it and don't think I'd change to a Samsung surf board, but the Samsung's layout does seem a little fresher, if not a little confusing. Apple need to take their iOS and rather than dramatically change, they need to refresh it. Some new paint if you will.
As for some real, bigger changes. I'd like to see a better photo layout. Photos are becoming a huge part of a phone nowadays. People are taking hundreds of photos on their phones every year and yet, to find a photo you need to scroll through those hundreds of photos. Perhaps they need a calendar view. Tagging people and allowing users to input key words for searching purposes (ie, tagging myself and "John" and then putting in a description or keyword "party", "30th" "birthday") would be very handy.
I've always found the search screen to be the biggest waste of space. Why not have all the shortcuts for wifi, Do Not Disturb, Plane Mode, etc on that screen rather than have the keyboard pop up. The search bar can still be there and when you click it then the keyboard comes up.
Siri needs some desperate updates and needs to be more intuitive. I'd like to see her have a memory and grows the more you use her.
A Dropbox system would also be great. Especially for text and photos
post #54 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I know many seem to balk at the idea of widgets, but some are very useful. Unfortunately the work phone provided to me is a Samescum Galaxy Note 2. One widget that I do find extremely useful is the widget for a flashlight app I have. It's basically a button on the home screen I just have to press once and the flashlight turns on. I would love to have a flashlight button on the iPhone instead of opening up and turning it on through an app.

I saw someone else refer to the usefulness of the flashlight widget, and now you.

I guess different people live all sorts different lifestyles.  But I can't imagine how that would be useful to me, since I don't use that app very often.  I mean, I like it for the very few times I do need it.  But I'm curious, what do you use the flashlight for so often?  I'm just wondering.

post #55 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Things will continue to improve. End of story. :D

Yes but it's not that simple.  Things cannot and should not continue the same way.

Apple must invent new stuff that others simply can not copy.  That's what will make the platform stand out.

They must be careful of Google like companies.

Just imagine how Apple would own the smart phone market if Google did not copy iOS...

Apple must advance its platform again except this time don't allow Google and others to copy it.

post #56 of 162

iOS 7: a mysterious box into which you put all your hopes and dreams and wants.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #57 of 162

I'm sure whatever Apple does with iOS 7 will be more than I will ever need. I just hope for better maps in my home area in Central America. Not so much for myself since I already know where everything is and my previous need for high quality aerial imagery is no longer important because I have completed my mission of acquiring new property which was the main reason for my original complaint, but it would be nice for tourists to be able to access detailed map data when they visit. Although I enjoy using my iPhone, I probably utilize only a small fraction of its capabilities and I also have way fewer apps than the average, most of which I don't even use like iWork. I use iWork on the desktop all the time just not on my phone. I love my iPhone 5 but to me it is mostly about getting my email, txt, calendar, music and phone calls including Skype, which honestly doesn't work that great but that isn't Apple's fault.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #58 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post

I love my girlfriend's iPhone, but have been holding off buying one due to a few substantial limitations (to me). The include:

1. no easy system-wide sharing.
2. a keyboard that does not change to capital letters when hitting shift key (only small shift key lights up) and
3. too small of screen for my old man eyes (ok, this is hardware, not iOS)

is it too much to ask for these few improvements to iOS? I mean really, Android solved each of these complaints years ago.

I really want to switch, but can't get past these.

1. Use the iCloud for sharing. 

2. Use Siri and dictate your text... screw looking at a keyboard.

3. Double tap the screen for double sizing the text.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #59 of 162

I don't know, and the adolesent whining in this article didnt help.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #60 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Things will continue to improve. End of story. :D

Enjoyed your article better, Spam.

post #61 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post

I love my girlfriend's iPhone, but have been holding off buying one due to a few substantial limitations (to me). The include:

1. no easy system-wide sharing.
2. a keyboard that does not change to capital letters when hitting shift key (only small shift key lights up) and
3. too small of screen for my old man eyes (ok, this is hardware, not iOS)

is it too much to ask for these few improvements to iOS? I mean really, Android solved each of these complaints years ago.

I really want to switch, but can't get past these.

2. is incorrect. It does that. Just checked.

post #62 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Wonder if we will ever find out what Steve Jobs' revelation was, on how to make TV easier to use.

Expect nothing revolutionary. The easy of use will come from total integration of your entertainment system into one product, and a simple remote control. The revolution will be simplicity, not gimmicks. Throw in an App Store and a dedicated game controller and it's a console replacement too.

post #63 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej2119 View Post

I think iOS 7 will be huge. After Scott left I heard that he was very arrogant perhaps now that Craig is taking over there will be much more innovation. Also, Jony took over the design aesthetics of iOS and OS X...I think we'll see a revamp of the home screen in this update.

What's wrong with the home screen? Nothing.

Two tweaks to it which would be nice are scrollable folders and updating icons, namely Clock, Calendar and Weather.

post #64 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

Would at least like to see some form of widgets in iOS. I have an Android for work and although the app experience is pretty poor, I do like the ability to have a couple of relevant widgets on a page for quick viewing.

No widgets, please.

post #65 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

Steve jobs said a few years before his death that Apple was in its DNA a Software company that made hardware.

I will go with what he said.

Apple's a product company.

post #66 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

iOS 7: a mysterious box into which you put all your hopes and dreams and wants.

That also describes women for me.

post #67 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's getting more in the spirit: Throw an Android comment if you want to encourage more replies. 3 pages might not be unrealistic if we don't have to stay on-topic.

Personally I think it might be one release too soon to see a major influence by Mr. Ive, but I do expect to see some important changes, yes perhaps including "widgets". Anyway, Apple has way too much engineering talent to be left behind by any competing mobile platform. They're going to deliver some surprises.
So why do you care? I still don't get you boy? You hate Apple but comment like there is no tomorrow, what's in it for you? Please tell me.
post #68 of 162
There is NO need to change the UI, it performs its function perfectly well.
iDevice use is driven by the App Store, so a grid of icons that shows your Apps is perfect in my opinion.
A little tweak here and there is okay.
post #69 of 162
Personally, I want to see a substantial improvement in organization and app management. When I group applications, they are all the same plain vanilla folder color and difficult to make distinctions. On Android, you can arrange apps within a folder such that the 3 of the apps icons are layered offset on top of the folder as a visual indication as to the folder's contents. For example you can have a folder of 'Communications' apps. Position apps with that folder such that, say, the icons for Skype and Facebook and Gmail appear staggered on the front of the folder. That would be a good visual indication of the folder's contents based on the icons representing that folder.

Another is some form of hierarchical file management system. right now you need to necessarily drag data files for each individual application in that application's representation inside itunes.
post #70 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No widgets, please.

It's okay.  If someone doesn't like widgets, then they don't have to use them.  Many of the rest of us would find them useful.

Anyway, it's too late.  IOS already has some widgets, starting with the calendar icon showing the right date, and later on, the weather & stock widgets in the notification center.

Steve Jobs was a big fan of widgets on his own desktop computer.  He gushed over their usefulness at the 2007 WWDC (see pic below), and used to call the iPhone Stock and Weather apps "widgets" during talks.   

Even the original iPhone patents show a "widget creator" in the software block diagram.

post #71 of 162

This article was a bite weak because it hardly talks about iOS 7 at all. I would like Apple on the developer front to try to resolve whatever issues it is having and open Facetime up to the non-Apple masses. Also on the developer front I would like to see Apple put the hurt on Google by spinning iAds off like Final Maker. If iAds was on Windows and Android, Apple could 1) really hurt Google's money making machine by undercutting it on price on its own platform, and 2) know exactly what phone users it needs to be advertising to.

On the user front I would like the ability to do more iOS customization like on the Mac. I'd also like Apple to give me quick access to some settings like wi-fi and blue-tooth. Siri also needs work. For instance, Google's voice search on iOS although not as full featured actually works much quicker. I'd also like Apple to use Apple's army of iOS users to incorporate pictures for places. That would be a pretty cool way to counter Street View quickly. Apple also should do some things Google does. For instance, Google caters to businesses by allowing people to attach their own domain to gmail account, which allows business to more fully use Google's tools. 

I also think Apple was dumb by not allowing turn by turn on older iPhones, like the 3GS and 4. Google's app does, and now those users are probably using Google's app. 

Apple has also gave up some markets, like with iDisk.

post #72 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

Steve jobs said a few years before his death that Apple was in its DNA a Software company that made hardware.

I will go with what he said.

Yet Apple makes the majority of its money off hardware.  And as of late is being criticized for inferior software offerings.

post #73 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

2. is incorrect. It does that. Just checked.

I warily wade into the waters of speaking for another poster, but what the heck?

I think he was saying that the problem was that they didn't change to caps.  I'm pretty sure that in Android if you hold down the Shift key, the keys go from lower case to upper case.

That's what I thought he meant, anyhow.

post #74 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

I would sugest if you think everyone in Asia is poor you put down the US propaganda media you are consuming and open your eyes. In Hong Kong, Singapore and the other big cities around Asia Samsung is taking huge market share and these people have lots of disposable income. This to me is a classic case along the line of Nokia's lack of entry into the smartphone arena a few years ago. Apple, with its Many of its executives and their typically unworldly US style world view, they are missing the next revolution taking place NOW. Big screen phones.

I know Asia isn't entirely poor. I have family in HK still. It's the analysts screaming for a cheap iPhone because they think Asia is too poor to buy iPhones. Like I said, if the 5" market is viable, Apple will be there.
post #75 of 162
User accounts. I'm beggin' ya, Tim.
post #76 of 162
When it comes to wearable computers, if it is a choice between Google Glass vs iWatch, I think most people would opt for iWatch. iWatch is always on, easily accessible, and can integrate with other iOS devices to enhance the overall experience. At the same time, it can be easily ignored when you don't want to deal with your digital life - just don't look at your watch!

Google Glass on the other hand is way too in your face - you cannot avoid it. The technology hurdle Google has to cross to make Google Glass tolerable as an unavoidable distraction is too high.

This is the big difference between Apple and Google - Apple goes for refined, simple experiences that the user can comfortably embrace, whereas Google goes for the ultrageeky experience - overly complex, impossible for the layman to embrace, etc. You either love it or you hate it. With Apple, the geek crowd complains, but the world at large quietly buy their products by the millions.
post #77 of 162
Originally Posted by AppleInsider
What features are you wishing for in iOS 7?

Just three things:

1. Sleeker look.  Dump the faux leather, faux cloth, faux stitching. (Easy.)

2. More Siri.  Better search, more world knowledge, etc.  (Medium.)

3. Biometrics.  No more pass codes, just scan your face with the FaceTime camera. (Hard.)

The camera-based biometric recognition is tough but it would be worth it for users.

Maybe a 130 or 180 degree sweep around your face would be required, to eliminate

spoofing with high-resolution conventional photographs.  Or maybe you would speak

your own passcode, which would involve analysis of your face muscle movements with the

FaceTime camera plus analysis of your voice signature.  Even if someone else knows your passcode,

they can't unlock your iPhone.

Of course, there are all kinds of problems.  What happens if you need to wear an eye patch?

What if you change your glasses frames and it throws off the scanner algorithm?

What if you have a cold and your voice sounds different?  If you change your hair color / cut?

I suppose you could fall back on the old 4-digit "simple" or non-simple longer passcode.

Or even some kind of 2-step authorization.

Edited by SockRolid - 3/30/13 at 10:09pm

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #78 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Just three things:

1. Sleeker look.  Dump the faux leather, faux cloth, faux stitching. (Easy.)

2. More Siri.  Better search, more world knowledge, etc.  (Medium.)

3. Biometrics.  No more pass codes, just scan your face with the FaceTime camera. (Hard.)

The camera-based biometric recognition is tough but it would be worth it for users.

Maybe a 130 or 180 degree sweep around your face would be required, to eliminate

spoofing with high-resolution conventional photographs.  Or better yet, you would speak

your own passcode, which would involve analysis of your face muscle movements

and voice signature.  Even if someone else knows your passcode, they can't unlock your iPhone.

Of course, there are all kinds of problems.  What happens if you need to wear an eye patch?

What if you change your glasses frames and it throws off the scanner algorithm?

What if you have a cold and your voice sounds different?  If you change your hair color / cut?

I suppose you could fall back on the old 4-digit "simple" or non-simple longer passcode.

Or even some kind of 2-step authorization.

1.  Agreed 100%.  Get rid of the skeumorphic design altogether.  I hate it.

2.  Agreed again.  I'd love to see improvements in Siri, both in how well she understands things, and in what she can do.

3.  Are fingerprints out of the question?  I would prefer that to face recognition.

post #79 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Future software features for iOS 7

What about the future software direction for iOS? Apple has a series of major initiatives it's developing for iOS, many of which are the offspring of acquisitions, including Siri, Maps and iTunes Match.

There are a number of other smart ideas that Apple has cultured in its App Store petri dish of third party developers that it likely should implement as unique, differentiating features of iOS. Again, there's the question of how to best do this.

Apple needs to be careful to not simply stomp on its developers (or give the appearance of doing so). In some cases, it might make sense for Apple to acquire apps that could be integrated into iOS. Consider Snapchat, based on the simple premise of sharing short photos or videos that expire after a few seconds. Or the walkie talkie style messaging of Voxer.

SnapchatVoxer

It's hard to see how either free app will effectively monetize its continued existence on iOS, but both could be rolled into iMessages by Apple to expand iOS 7's messaging capabilities and "stickiness" while at the same time making the platform more differentiated (both apps already offer Android ports).

In other cases, iOS might be better served feeding traffic to partner apps, the way iOS 6 integrates with social networks like Twitter and Facebook, or helper apps for directions in Maps.

There's a lot Apple can do on its own, too. Text services continue to evolve; Apple should continue to develop Data Detectors to highlight and activate relevant data, identifying and highlighting dates, locations, contacts, phone numbers, email and addresses in selected text and providing useful actions for them, depending on the context.

It'd be great to see an AirDrop client in iOS 7 for easy desktop file sharing, as well as iCloud support for email certificates for encrypting and signing emails the same what it automatically encrypts iMessages.

Apple's three iPhone models account for three of the top five cameras in Flickr, so why not capitalize on that with more sophisticated Camera app features and image editing? Add support for creating, say, time lapse captures and converting short videos to GIFs for sharing.

What features are you wishing for in iOS 7?

Apple focuses on workflows especially common workflows that solve conundrums:

• Gatekeeper for iOS
  • Ability to set default apps for functions (contacts, calendar, mail, etc.)
  • AirDrop for iOS (I acknowledge this already exists as "Beam" in some apps)
  • Automator-like functionality in a GUI form (Bluetooth on/Wi-Fi off upon leaving my home, Bluetooth off/Wi-Fi on upon arriving at work)
  • "Open with..." for iOS (I acknowledge this already exists in some apps)
  • Disk Utility for iOS (low priority)
  • Network Utility for iOS (low priority)
  • Activity Monitor for iOS (low priority)
  • Remote Desktop for iOS (from iPad, iPhone or Mac to iPad, iPhone or Mac)
  • Active App Icons and Badges (Weather icon updates every xx minutes with current local weather with a badge for the current temperature)
  • Mission Control for iOS (larger App representation for the App Switcher)
  • Siri improvements (Allow Siri to capture speech then enable an API to pass data to allow apps to parse the command such as "Search Amazon," "Find Events Near Me," "Search the App Store," "Play Pandora," and Control system functions control such as 3G data, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Brightness, Do Not Disturb, Wi-Fi, Locations, etc.)
  • Notification Center Improvements or Search screen? (System functions control such as 3G data, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Brightness, Do Not Disturb, Wi-Fi, Locations, etc.)
  • Add APIs for Digg, Flickr, Foursquare, LinkedIn, Loopt, Pintrest, Reddit, Tumblr, Yelp

• Incorporate features of the app "Tempo" into Calendars.
  • Incorporate features of the apps "easilydo" or "Grokr" into the Lock Screen and Notification Center
  • Incorporate features of the app "Winston" into Siri
  • Incorporate features of the app "Weather Live" into Weather
  • Incorporate features of the app "Shazam" into Music

• Continue improving Maps
  • Continue improving iCloud
  • Continue improving Siri

• Make another attempt at Ping but focus on sharing (following) between friends and open the sharing to Apps, Audiobooks, Books, Movies, Music, Ringtones, etc. Allow users to create groups of friends. The differentiator is no advertising and a focus solely on media to enhance the iTunes experience.

• File Quarantine for iOS

Edited by MacBook Pro - 3/30/13 at 11:02pm
post #80 of 162
I am a big believer in an iWatch but it has to come in totally from left field to succeed. It has to be positioned as a fashion item not a tech device, even though it really is a tech device. If they do this and sell several models each of distinctly different design, then they can get people to buy several of them. If they come out with new designs regularly, and by name fashion designers/houses, then they'll get people to buy them regularly. Among all the tech brands, only Apple has the cachet to branch into the fashion realm. They should take advantage of this and open up a completely new market to expand in. They will own this segment for years. What brand smart watch do you imagine fashion houses will want to be identified with on the pages of Vogue or on New York Fashion Week? Samsung, Google, Microsoft, or Apple?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Where does Apple take iOS next?