or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple gov't rep says next two iPhones were designed under Steve Jobs

Apple gov't rep says next two iPhones were designed under Steve Jobs

post #1 of 60
In discussing the possibility of adding a theft resistant "kill switch" to future iPhone models, Apple's government liaison has noted that the next two generations of iPhone have already been developed, and were designed before Steve Jobs' death.

iOS 4.1

Seeking to stem the tide of smartphone thefts, San Francisco's District Attorney George Gasc?n has met carriers and device makers, including Apple, whose iPhones account for half of the devices pilfered in the City. The depth of Apple's product pipeline surfaced during those talks.

I'm from the government and I'm here to help you

According to a report by Mike Aldax of the SF Examiner, Gasc?n was left "disheartened" by a meeting with mobile carriers, and hoped that subsequent discussions with Apple would "reveal a commitment toward solutions."

Instead, Gasc?n said the meeting with Apple?s government liaison Michael Foulkes was "very underwhelming," and added, "he did most of the talking. It was incredible. He would just go on and on, one subject to the next. It was hard to follow. It was almost like someone who?s been trained in the art of doing a lot of talking and saying nothing."

Foulkes discussed the research and development behind creating and deploying a "kill switch" system to arrest phone theft, but "also said the next two generations of iPhones have already been developed," according the report.

Gasc?n further commented that the next two iPhone models in the pipeline "preceded Tim Cook."

Jobs passed away the day before Apple unveiled iPhone 4S in late 2011. That indicates Jobs had known about the design of next three generations of iPhones following it.

No deliverables for DA voters obtained

While the DA indicated he didn't expect Apple to change the design of the next iPhone based on the discussion held last week, he was hoping for a "plan in place," given that he believes that the technology is possible. He further speculated that Apple isn't too concerned about thefts because "there's just too much being made on stolen phones."

No carrier or phone maker has made any significant efforts to deploy a fool-proof antitheft device for smartphones, although the industry collectively came up with a national registry in the U.S. that allows victims of theft to enter their device's mobile serial number. Carriers can consult the registry and voluntarily block activation of phones reported as stolen.

The registry is limited by the fact that not all carriers participate, and that many stolen devices are shipped overseas. Adding any sort of kill switch would likely result in lots of new, unanticipated issues for carriers and phone makers.

Any kill switch system that could be "unlocked" could conceivably also be unlocked by sophisticated thieves (according to the arguments against DRM, which say that all locks are ineffective). Any permanently disabling system could be invoked by mistaken users or malicious agents who figure out how to remotely disable anyone's phone using nothing more than their ID number and a false theft report.

Apple has deployed "Find My iPhone" features that enable users to track stolen devices, but these rely on the ignorance of thieves, who can easily disable the tracking system or simply turn off the device. Some have suggested that Apple could at least try to demand a security passcode to power off or disable the tracking of a user's iOS device.

Embarrassing to the Cook bashers

While San Francisco's DA didn't solve the case of the missing iPhone, his revelation of the size of Apple's product pipeline does demolish the accusations of analysts and other observers who have been trying to establish that Apple suddenly went rudderless and blind the day it lost Jobs as its cofounder and former chief executive.

Over the past two years, critics have cited the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 as evidence that Cook's Apple is wildly different and woefully incapable of remaining as successful as the company had been under Jobs, despite two years of financial reports and sales records that refute that flawgic.

The fact that Apple still has another two iPhone generations that were developed under Jobs also indicates that the charismatic executive had also witnessed and approved of the development of other things in Apple's roadmap that have been recently released, including last summer's MacBook Pro with Retina Display and the newly redesigned Mac Pro that Cook has said the company will release this year.
post #2 of 60

Wonderful. Two more years of idiots screaming "RIDING ON THE COATTAILS!"

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #3 of 60
Precautionary statements for Next Release of iPhones. If something goes wrong... no one points Jony but Steve. A safety measure.
post #4 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wonderful. Two more years of idiots screaming "RIDING ON THE COATTAILS!"

While at the same time complaining that Apple is devoid of innovation or new ideas since Steve is gone.  Personally I think this is a bunch of BS.  Steve may have signed off on stuff but that doesn't mean they're etched In stone and can never be changed.  For instance we have no idea if Steve signed off on the mini or not.  All we have was that leaked email from Eddy Cue saying Steve was receptive to the idea.

post #5 of 60
why don't they just come out with needing to type a password in order to shut the phone off? wouldn't that prevent all iphones from being stolen if the thieves don't know the password to shut the phone down? (and thus the phone is always traceable).
post #6 of 60
Really, coming from someone in government?

"It was almost like someone who's been trained in the art of doing a lot of talking and saying nothing."
post #7 of 60
Originally Posted by razyboy View Post
…wouldn't that prevent all iPhones from being stolen…

No.

post #8 of 60

At some point this becomes ridiculous.  Jobs died in 2011.  When the next iPhone comes out, it will be fall 2013.  That one is likely to have been started while Jobs was alive.  From a physical standpoint, it likely will be the same as the iPhone 5, which was almost certainly developed while Jobs was alive.  The iPhone 6 (what I'm calling it for convenience) will debut in another year, and I don't think that any company uses a 3 year development cycle for phones.

post #9 of 60

I call bullshit. I'm sure SJ had ideas of which general direction he wanted future iPhones to go, but thousands of decisions are made every single day in terms of design and direction. SJ left Apple as CEO mid 2011. There's no way in hell iPhones to be released in 2013+2014 were "designed" by him, or that even the major aspects were set in stone. Things change so fast in this industry, and hardware/software processes are dependant on the current technology. You can't make very specific design decisions that far in advance. Even the original iPhone design was changed at the last minute in a major way (ie. glass screen instead of plastic). I love how to avoid giving Apple any credit, any major success they have is dismissed as being part of "SJs roadmap", and yet anything they see as a flaw they chalk up to the current management and the lack of SJ. 

Apple will continue to be successful as long as they hold true to their DNA. IMO the team has done a phenomenal job so far, and minus the stock price which bears no rationality, every other performance metric is impressive. 

post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I call bullshit. I'm sure SJ had ideas of which general direction he wanted future iPhones to go, but thousands of decisions are made every single day in terms of design and direction. SJ left Apple as CEO mid 2011. There's no way in hell iPhones to be released in 2013+2014 were "designed" by him, or that even the major aspects were set in stone. Things change so fast in this industry, and hardware/software processes are dependant on the current technology. You can't make very specific design decisions that far in advance. Even the original iPhone design was changed at the last minute in a major way (ie. glass screen instead of plastic). I love how to avoid giving Apple any credit, any major success they have is dismissed as being part of "SJs roadmap", and yet anything they see as a flaw they chalk up to the current management and the lack of SJ. 

I believe the article says the two next phones were designed while Steve was alive, not "by Steve."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 60

Until such time as Apple can come up with reliable keyed tech (like a thumbprint or voice recognition - color me skeptical), the high volume of theft will not diminish. It will never end. Heck, even with current passwords, I'll bet I can guess most in '1111' tries...

It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
post #12 of 60
The next two generation I assume is iPhone 5s and iPhone 6? That would last us till 2014. As big an Apple and Steve Jobs fan as I am, I found it hard to believe Steve Jobs signs off something 4 years ahead of time. In this business, 4 year is a long time and many technologies didn't exist in 2011 could appear. Think about it: 4 years ago we were still using the iPhone 3. Could all the features on the current iPhone 5 already been developed and finished when Apple was selling iPhone 3?
post #13 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple will continue to be successful as long as they hold true to their DNA. IMO the team has done a phenomenal job so far, and minus the stock price which bears no rationality, every other performance metric is impressive. 

Very believable to me. I work for a pretty large organization and they already have road maps for 2016-2017. And that's in the insurance sector.

SJ left a game plan, it isn't hard for me to believe that plan was 2-3 years out.
post #14 of 60
Originally Posted by LeCorsaire View Post
As big an Apple and Steve Jobs fan as I am, I found it hard to believe Steve Jobs signs off something 4 years ahead of time.

The design for iPhone 4 was ~80% done before the first one was even decided.

post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Very believable to me. I work for a pretty large organization and they already have road maps for 2016-2017. And that's in the insurance sector.

SJ left a game plan, it isn't hard for me to believe that plan was 2-3 years out.

There very well may have been a roadmap but the way tech changes so quickly I'm sure that roadmap became outdated very fast.

post #16 of 60
Quote:
 iPhones account for half of the devices pilfered in the City

Wow.  No wonder he wanted some way to deter such theft.

post #17 of 60
Quote:

And they knew it was going to be for the iPhone 4? Or they went back to a design they liked when working on iPhone 4?

post #18 of 60

Insurance is very different from the cellphone business.  Some businesses just function in a different way.  I totally believe an insurance company can plan things out 4-5 years ahead, but I don't think a company like Apple can.  The technology just changes too fast.  All the Warren Buffett companies, the business dynamics change very slowly.  Coke and Heinz ketchup basically never changed since their beginning, more than 100 years ago.  Insurance is one of those businesses, while Buffett never buys high tech companies, even Apple, for that reason. 

post #19 of 60
This article appears genuine until you get to this part, which made me think it could be a very professionally done April 1st joke...

"He further speculated that Apple isn't too concerned about thefts because "there's just too much being made on stolen phones.""

...with the above the only somewhat amusing and not very Apple like quote.
post #20 of 60

I agree.  It's most likely an April Fool's piece.  A government liaison knowledge about Apple's product pipeline?   So much for the Apple secrecy we know about.

post #21 of 60
Quote:

April Fools

post #22 of 60
I think the market changes too fast for Steve Jobs to have put his seal of approval on much of anything that comes out in the future. He may have given certain broad strokes nods of general positive interest, but that is not the same thing. I base my opinion on the quickly evolving market. Case-in-point is the iPad Mini. Steve Jobs knocked the 7" iPad size, then Apple delivered a 7.85" iPad. Pretty sure Apple adjusted to the lower-cost and smaller Android tablets on that one. And smartly so.
post #23 of 60
wow...are people really this stupid?
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post

I think the market changes too fast for Steve Jobs to have put his seal of approval on much of anything that comes out in the future. He may have given certain broad strokes nods of general positive interest, but that is not the same thing. I base my opinion on the quickly evolving market. Case-in-point is the iPad Mini. Steve Jobs knocked the 7" iPad size, then Apple delivered a 7.85" iPad. Pretty sure Apple adjusted to the lower-cost and smaller Android tablets on that one. And smartly so.

Actually: Steve Jobs called the 7" tablets the "most credible" of the avalanche of Android tablets he addressed in Oct 2010. Two years later Apple shipped its own smaller tablet, but not using a widescreen 7" form factor, nor with any other other issues Jobs critically detailed as reasons those devices would (and did) flop.

Saying that Apple had to "read the market" for two years before it came up with the idea of a smaller tablet is just absurd. Apple certainly had the ability to make a smaller tablet that looked like the original iPad. It just chose to release a Retina Display model first, establish itself as the leader in tablets while Google delayed Android with the distraction of Honeycomb, and then develop to tooling capable of making the iPhone 5 alongside the iPod touch and iPod mini that also use it. 

Had Apple shipped a mini earlier, it likely would have looked more like the earlier 7" tablets in thickness and weight. Waiting until it could deliver a strongly differentiated model is the way Apple does things. No iPod phone, no Neo-MessagePad, no MacBook with a touch screen. 

Apple didn't need to copy "smaller Android tablets" to arrive at the idea that a smaller iPad might sell. First off, the Android tablets *weren't* selling well! And if Apple needed some precedent to stumble on to the obvious idea of smaller form factors, it could have found that inspiration in its own closet with the handheld tablet it had released two decades prior. That Newton MessagePad had inspired both the Palm Pilot, which introduced the first big screen smartphone with the now familiar grid of icons interface, and Microsoft's WinCE efforts to create PDAs, then phones, and then its Windows Tablet initiatives (all of which failed).

post #25 of 60
The slagging of Cook has reached ridiculous levels. The corp. is still one of the most friggin' successful on the planet. Not to mention that Cook has been w/ Apple since Jobs' 1997 return and was, off and on, running Apple over the past decade.

Had to shake my head over the theft issue.
Cities to Apple: do our job for us.
Users to Apple: do my job for me.

How about municipalities prosecute thieves when they catch them and actually sentence them to jail time? How about users stop, look, pay attention to their surroundings and keep track of their expensive toys?
post #26 of 60
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
April Fools

No…

post #27 of 60
``Jobs passed away the day before Apple unveiled iPhone 4S in late 2011. That indicates Jobs had known about the design of next three generations of iPhones following it.''

I mentioned all designs are 18-36 months in design and development before they hit the pipelines. All I can say to this man is, ``Duh.''
post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

``Jobs passed away the day before Apple unveiled iPhone 4S in late 2011. That indicates Jobs had known about the design of next three generations of iPhones following it.''

I mentioned all designs are 18-36 months in design and development before they hit the pipelines. All I can say to this man is, ``Duh.''
I thought it was the day after?

Well apple of course had it planned through 5, I figure that the last one Jobs designed is going to be as major as the first iPhone compared to current market.
post #29 of 60
Quote:

No…

Where can I read about this?
post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I agree, if not longer. I would imagine there are products he was working on that couldn't be made until certain technologies advanced sufficiently. I wouldn't be surprised if there are product a decade out he put in motion. SJ was a visionary not a an R&D guy.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by En Sabah Nur View Post

Where can I read about this?

You really don't. theverge.com is arguably the most anti-Apple website on the Internet and that says volumes about the quality of the journalism and membership, in my opinion.
post #32 of 60

post #33 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs passed away the day before Apple unveiled iPhone 4S in late 2011.
Steve Jobs passed away the day AFTER the unveiling of the iPhone 4S.
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

You really don't. theverge.com is arguably the most anti-Apple website on the Internet and that says volumes about the quality of the journalism and membership, in my opinion.

The Verge has some of the best tech journalism available today, and are hardly biased against Apple.  They always give Apple products glowing reviews.  I can't believe you want to call out the quality of journalism on The Verge while using AppleInsider.

post #35 of 60
Do people really believe smartphones are designed and developed within a few months time? Of course, Apple plans several years ahead of releases.
post #36 of 60

The features don't have to be done 5 years before they come out. If you guys knew anything about the development of a product, you'd know that products are often designed without the finished parts. Basically you can lay out a road map for 5 years by looking at where technology will be in 5 years. Clearly Jobs could not do everything but he trusted Cook to handle the fine print. As far as the basics of the iPhone 5S/6. I can assume that the development was well along 3 years ago. 

Sony started developing the Playstation 4 in 2006. HOW COULD THEY DESIGN SOMETHING 7 years ago (probably 6 when it was well moving). How? Because you can look at where technology will be based on other companies roadmaps. 

That's why they work for these companies and you all don't. 

I am sure they have plans for the iPhone 8 surfacing already with the iPhone 6s or 7 well into basic development

post #37 of 60
What apple needs to do is a device driver that only can be synced with iTunes and for the user with the devices apple ID to be signed in on the machine for a restore to be aloud. And if the phone is reported stolen with find my iPhone, the DFU mode should be disabled from the bios.

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCorsaire View Post

The next two generation I assume is iPhone 5s and iPhone 6? That would last us till 2014. As big an Apple and Steve Jobs fan as I am, I found it hard to believe Steve Jobs signs off something 4 years ahead of time. In this business, 4 year is a long time and many technologies didn't exist in 2011 could appear. Think about it: 4 years ago we were still using the iPhone 3. Could all the features on the current iPhone 5 already been developed and finished when Apple was selling iPhone 3?

It's not that the iPhone 5 was laying there finished waiting for Apple to sell four years of iPhones prior to it, but the design was already charted out years in advance.

When Jobs died, the Daily Mail wrote, "He has also been overseeing the development of the delayed iCloud project, which will allow Apple users to store their music, photos and other documents remotely and masterminding updated versions of the iPod, iPad, iPhone and MacBooks, ensuring at least four years’ worth of products are in the pipeline, according to Apple sources."

Do you really think Apple starts designing new products a few months before production?
post #39 of 60
Why would a govt liaison have any idea about future iPhone designs? This DA is just looking national exposure. Idiot.
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by razyboy View Post

why don't they just come out with needing to type a password in order to shut the phone off? wouldn't that prevent all iphones from being stolen if the thieves don't know the password to shut the phone down? (and thus the phone is always traceable)

The problem with requiring a password is then what happens when the phone locks up? Sometimes a forced shut down is the only way to resolve a software issue.
Edited by APlotdevice - 4/1/13 at 6:35pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple gov't rep says next two iPhones were designed under Steve Jobs