or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google search reportedly 'de-ranking' direct iTunes app store links

Google search reportedly 'de-ranking' direct iTunes app store links

post #1 of 47
Reports on Tuesday point to a possible "de-ranking" of direct iTunes App Store links in Google's search results, with some titles not showing up for six or more pages unless the word "iTunes" is entered in the text box.

Google Search Ranking
Search for "Facebook" while not logged in.

First spotted by TechCrunch, the purportedly recent change in operation seems to affect apps differently and is not a wholesale downgrading of URLs leading to iTunes. A number of variables, including app popularity and whether a user is logged in with their Google account still factor into the search engine's results, though on the whole, links to Apple's App Store appear to be buried below less relevant results.

AppleInsider was able to confirm that signing into Google did cause an app link's location to change slightly, even if the app was a huge title like Facebook. In that example, a search for the term "Facebook" was executed when not logged in, resulting in a first-page hit for the Android store link to the app. The iTunes link showed up on page 7 of the query. Performing the same search after logging in, Facebook for iOS showed up on page 6, while the Android version was still in the top-5 on page one.

Interestingly, time seems to play a factor in Google's algorithm, as a repeated test of the Facebook search yielded different results just minutes after the first query was completed. While the exact nature of Google's search algorithm is largely a mystery, and the company has been known to modify the code, the "de-ranking" of direct iTunes links has raised a few eyebrows.

The results could very well be a bug in Google's latest
search algorithm, as the popularity of Apple devices and sheer number of users seeking out apps for iOS is likely large.

One method of getting to the iTunes preview of an iOS app is to include the term "iTunes" in the search bar, though this method may not be obvious to consumer unfamiliar with the Apple's App Store ecosystem.
post #2 of 47
Given if you use google street view to look up Apples headquarters the default view is thier garbage bins in ally, I'm betting this is not a bug.
post #3 of 47
That's pretty seedy, even for Google. I tried many variations of searching for Facebook's iOS app and even with all of that, it only shows up on the first page when "iTunes" is part of the search query. Shame on them.

Of course, Google's Android FB app always shows on the first page.

I'd bet money the android apologists sipping too much of their own koolaid will somehow spin this to suit their iHating agenda.
post #4 of 47
I wonder if the media will jump on this with overwhelming negative press like they do with anything Apple?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 47
What's going on here? It seems that when I'm using Googles DNS I can't access Apple app store from my mac or iphone. After changing DNS, everything works fine.
post #6 of 47

Easy... iTunes sucks at doing SEO for URLs

iTunes: Facebook

Play: Facebook

post #7 of 47

All Apple needs is about 2 million servers and an algorithm (or 2)...then create their own search/ad company.  Why not?

post #8 of 47
Apple could buy Yahoo, improve it and make it the default search engine for iOS. Or iOS users should just change their search engine to Yahoo or Bing. Google could really suffer without iOS users.
post #9 of 47

No problem for me. I always type "iTunes" as part of my search anyway when I'm looking for media. If Google's idea is to eventually compete against iTunes, they've got a long way to go before they can match its convenience and integration.

post #10 of 47

Well, I really want to blame google, but they are just using their strengths. Apple is no little boy, they have everything (rightfully) now. Don't like it? Then make a better search engine.

What bothers me is that Apple always tries the nice guy approach and are risking nothing at all. I would like something like google secret labs, previous at&t (bell?) labs, etc from apple. If some projects are total failures (they can't be, there's always something of substance... some great ideas that can be used on other projects) what's the harm? A billion less in net profit? that's nothing for Apple. They could invest on pretyy much anything and still being not harmed (as a company) by failures. 10 billion profit each quarter and a 150 billion wallet + 0 debt. What are they waiting for? Why isn't Apple buying Tesla, space X, building a flying and free transportation infrastructure, deploying free and ultrafast internet (that's vital for the cloud, afterall), etc?

Hell... Look at SAMSUNG (lol). Shit products, but selling tons of them because of ads alone. Why doesn't Apple do the same? I never saw a public Apple ad here. Meanwhile, I can't take a shit without having the word samsung 10cm away.

Solar power already powers the whole planet. Why not buy and improve the whole solar industry? lol Look at solarcity!

Elon Musk is the right man to be Apple's CEO.

*samsung instead of "something". typo

Edited by pedromartins - 4/2/13 at 4:26pm
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Well, I really want to blame google, but they are just using their strengths. Apple is no little boy, they have everything (rightfully) now. Don't like it? Then make a better search engine.

What bothers me is that Apple always tries the nice guy approach and are risking nothing at all. I would like something like google secret labs, previous at&t (bell?) labs, etc from apple. If some projects are total failures (they can't be, there's always something of substance... some great ideas that can be used on other projects) what's the harm? A billion less in net profit? that's nothing for Apple. They could invest on pretyy much anything and still being not harmed (as a company) by failures. 10 billion profit each quarter and a 150 billion wallet + 0 debt. What are they waiting for? Why isn't Apple buying Tesla, space X, building a flying and free transportation infrastructure, deploying free and ultrafast internet (that's vital for the cloud, afterall), etc?

Hell... Look at something. Shit products, but selling tons of them because of ads alone. Why doesn't Apple do the same? I never saw a public Apple ad here. Meanwhile, I can't take a shit without having the word samsung 10cm away.

Just because we don't hear about "Apple labs" or because Apple doesn't run yelling about whatever stupid project they're working on doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Just because we don't hear about "Apple labs" or because Apple doesn't run yelling about whatever stupid project they're working on doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

IF you never heard of it, if it isn't being used, it does not exist.

post #13 of 47

Hell, look at this (0:13):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96eGWviEx0

"watch wrestlemania like never before on your samsung devices" followed by an iPhone, an iPad and a generic TV. It's hillarious.

Why isn't Apple suing them to oblivion? 

post #14 of 47
Why is it that the more bad publicity Google gets the higher their share value goes?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22003551
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by malta View Post

Easy... iTunes sucks at doing SEO for URLs

You shouldn't need back links to the specific query string when your domain and subdomain are as popular as Apple.

From an SEO basics perspective the page is well constructed with respect to <meta><keywords><description><title><h1><h2>

Perhaps Apple should put a Google+ link on their page. That'll get them bumped up a couple pages /s

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Why is it that the more bad publicity Google gets the higher their share value goes?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22003551

Because they are fighting with everything they can, even spending 25 billion on Android (with 0 return) just to become more relevant and impossible to avoid. That's a good thing.

With Android (as long as samsung does not stab them) they have power. Dozens of companies depend on Android and please, let's not pretend that forked versions have any chance to survive if google stops developing Android. Google is inevitable.

They risked half of their money on Android. If Apple spends 1/135th of their cash on something, looks like the world will end. /s

Apple should monetize Android and become inevitable too. How? Create their own Android Store, deploy iTunes ecosystem and profit. Make safari for Android (it isn't hard to make a better mobile browser than chrome). Create accessories. Create a better search engine. Put the much superior (technologically, info comes with time) Apple maps on Android. On the process, advertise the hell of it, and make users "learn" how great Apple is. It worked before, on Windows.

one more: Go berserk with iWork and put it on windows and Android.

post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps Apple should put a Google+ link on their page. That'll get them bumped up a couple pages /s

Lol

post #18 of 47
Quote:

Because they are fighting with everything they can, even spending 25 billion on Android (with 0 return) just to become more relevant and impossible to avoid. That's a good thing.

With Android (as long as samsung does not stab them) they have power. Dozens of companies depend on Android and please, let's not pretend that forked versions have any chance to survive if google stops developing Android. Google is inevitable.

They risked half of their money on Android. If Apple spends 1/135th of their cash on something, looks like the world will end. /s

Apple should monetize Android and become inevitable too. How? Create their own Android Store, deploy iTunes ecosystem and profit. Make safari for Android (it isn't hard to make a better mobile browser than chrome). Create accessories. Create a better search engine. Put the much superior (technologically, info comes with time) Apple maps on Android. On the process, advertise the hell of it, and make users "learn" how great Apple is. It worked before, on Windows.

Hey not bad !

Cant ever see it happening but then again - why not ?

post #19 of 47
Quote:

What much superior technology is Apple using for it's maps? Vector graphics? The Android version of Google Maps used that technology for a while now and now the iOS version uses it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #20 of 47
Quote:

Hell... Look at something. Shit products, but selling tons of them because of ads alone. Why doesn't Apple do the same? I never saw a public Apple ad here. Meanwhile, I can't take a shit without having the word samsung 10cm away.

Solar power already powers the whole planet. Why not buy and improve the whole solar industry? lol Look at solarcity!

Elon Musk is the right man to be Apple's CEO.

You sure that you're not a closet Google-head? Because you want everything for free.
post #21 of 47
Quote:

Hell, look at this (0:13):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96eGWviEx0

"watch wrestlemania like never before on your samsung devices" followed by an iPhone, an iPad and a generic TV. It's hillarious.

Why isn't Apple suing them to oblivion? 

1) They say "these digital devices" and the only one with a Samsung logo is the TV, the others say mobile or tablet below them and I think they have some WWE logo on their displays.

2) Pro tip: You can post exactly where you want people to start playing a clip by adding &t=XXhXXmXXs to the URL. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96eGWviEx0&t=13s (Note that I excluded the hours and minutes portion as it wasn't germane. You can also use a single digit if there would be a preceding zero)
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/2/13 at 5:50pm

post #22 of 47
Quote:

Good point and just as Google gives Android away for free, might Apple do the same for search ads or cut charges to ads to just cover costs of running it.

Sounds Samity Sam-fair to me.

Edited by mhikl - 4/2/13 at 4:34pm

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You sure that you're not a closet Google-head? Because you want everything for free.

What? Who told you that? I don't want things for free. I Want great things. Apple does that.

In most countries, a 300 dollar no contract phone is expensive. a 700 dollar pc is expensive. a tablet is a luxury. On those countries (like Portugal) Apple gains 0 and the others gain everything that can be gained, especially market share and relevance. If Apple deployed a part of their ecosystem on Android (itunes, a store, iWork, ibooks, maps, safari etc), they could make a great profit without spending a lot. Have you seriously read my post?

Who told you those things would be "free"? Are they free on Apple devices? Of course not.

For example, if you buy a smartphone (FIRST TIME) it's almost certain it will be a cheap Android. With time, you go up and upgrade, but when you want/can justify a high end phone, you already invested on Android, so there's a chance a lot of people won't change platforms. How much money will they give Apple? 0.

Apple can easily change that. It's not the first time, and they didn't even tried that hard. Now imagine something as big as what i wrote on the second paragraph.

post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) They say "these digital devices" and the only one with a Samsung logo is the TV, the others say mobile or tablet below them and I think they have some WWE logo on their displays.

2) Pro tip: You can post exactly where you want people to start playing a clip by adding $t=XXhXXmXXs on the URL. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96eGWviEx0&t=13s (Note that I excluded the hours and minutes portion as it wasn't germane. You can also a single digital if there is a preceding zero)

And the phone and tablet shown are the iPhone and the iPad.
post #25 of 47
Quote:

And the phone and tablet shown are the iPhone and the iPad.

But that in itself doesn't prevent the use of the image. I see no false advertising.

post #26 of 47
Quote:

What? Who told you that? I don't want things for free. I Want great things. Apple does that.

In most countries, a 300 dollar no contract phone is expensive. a 700 dollar pc is expensive. a tablet is a luxury. On those countries (like Portugal) Apple gains 0 and the others gain everything that can be gained, especially market share and relevance. If Apple deployed a part of their ecosystem on Android (itunes, a store, iWork, ibooks, maps, safari etc), they could make a great profit without spending a lot. Have you seriously read my post?

Who told you those things would be "free"? Are they free on Apple devices? Of course not.

For example, if you buy a smartphone (FIRST TIME) it's almost certain it will be a cheap Android. With time, you go up and upgrade, but when you want/can justify a high end phone, you already invested on Android, so there's a chance a lot of people won't change platforms. How much money will they give Apple? 0.

Apple can easily change that. It's not the first time, and they didn't even tried that hard. Now imagine something as big as what i wrote on the second paragraph.

Then reread your own post. You want 'free transportation infrastructure' and 'free ultra fast internet', or did I make that up?
post #27 of 47
Quote:

Well, I really want to blame google, but they are just using their strengths

What you are suggesting is a ok is anti competitive behavior for which Eric Schimdt was brought before congress to testify for.

As for the rest if your post, I'm glad you don't run Apple for you learned nothing from thier success.
post #28 of 47
Quote:

Then reread your own post. You want 'free transportation infrastructure' and 'free ultra fast internet', or did I make that up?

Are you doing that on purpose?

Apple earns 0 from what you pay to your (even if not "you", millions of people then) shitty internet provider and their shitty services.

If Apple deploys ultrafast internet (free of charge or very cheap. unlimited) with great services and assistance, you will change from your internet provider to Apple, and the Apple ecosystem will become even more integrated, cloud services will work better (faster internet, more reliable (so Apple can actually gain directly from this), better assistance, your data that can be useful and will be used accordingly, etc) and by default the experience will be better.

With such great experience, you (millions of people) will gladly pay Apple for iCloud/services/ecosystem and become even more tied to it. You will pay less but gain more, Apple will gain more, your provider will lose.

You are so limited...

bolded part: I do not ask for "free", i ask for "better".

post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

What you are suggesting is a ok is anti competitive behavior for which Eric Schimdt was brought before congress to testify for.

As for the rest if your post, I'm glad you don't run Apple for you learned nothing from thier success.

Apple's success formula: Evolution, change, new areas, new markets, disruption.

That's what we are talking about, it doesn't take a genius to figure that ecosystem is the big thing now.

post #30 of 47
Quote:

Google has a monopoly in search. It is abusing its power with search results.
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

if they are using their advantage unfairly to bury links then I would agree but so far there is no proof they have done anything wrong.

post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Pro tip: You can post exactly where you want people to start playing a clip by adding $t=XXhXXmXXs on the URL. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96eGWviEx0&t=13s (Note that I excluded the hours and minutes portion as it wasn't germane. You can also use a single digit if there would be a preceding zero)

Now, that's just being a smarty pants :-)

Click on the link and scrub like a man !

post #33 of 47
If deliberate, it is anti-competitive and may well be illegal. Oh, and Google, even if not illegal, it is yet another example of how your jiggering of search results (paid ads at top) is a betrayal of public trust.
post #34 of 47
Quote:

Are you doing that on purpose?

Apple earns 0 from what you pay to your (even if not "you", millions of people then) shitty internet provider and their shitty services.

If Apple deploys ultrafast internet (free of charge or very cheap. unlimited) with great services and assistance, you will change from your internet provider to Apple, and the Apple ecosystem will become even more integrated, cloud services will work better (faster internet, more reliable (so Apple can actually gain directly from this), better assistance, your data that can be useful and will be used accordingly, etc) and by default the experience will be better.

With such great experience, you (millions of people) will gladly pay Apple for iCloud/services/ecosystem and become even more tied to it. You will pay less but gain more, Apple will gain more, your provider will lose.

You are so limited...

bolded part: I do not ask for "free", i ask for "better".

Speak for yourself, I get great internet speeds and services because I pay for it. Very few companies are end all be all. If you buy a car you have to buy gasoline and drive it on roads not sold or made by the car company. I've told you before that networks are not cheap to build, run, and maintain. Don't complain if you inexpensive service plan has lousy service. People shouldn't buy things if the ongoing costs are too expensive for them. And yes I'm doing it on purpose because you did in fact ask for that stuff to be free, and another question, is Apple the only company that should be able to make money? Should their hand be in everyone's pocket?
post #35 of 47
Quote:

Do they? Is Google the only search engine available to us?
post #36 of 47
Quote:

Google has almost 68% of the search inquiries - and over 4 times their nearest competitor. That's enough to easily put them in the range where their behavior should be getting scrutiny to ensure that they're not abusing their market position. Of course, they spend enough money lobbying that that isn't going to happen in the US, at least, but they're certainly in that range.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Google has almost 68% of the search inquiries - and over 4 times their nearest competitor. That's enough to easily put them in the range where their behavior should be getting scrutiny to ensure that they're not abusing their market position. Of course, they spend enough money lobbying that that isn't going to happen in the US, at least, but they're certainly in that range.

I agree that they should be scrutinized so that they don't abuse their market position but they're in no way a monopoly and that's something even you can agree on.
post #38 of 47
Quote:

I agree that they should be scrutinized so that they don't abuse their market position but they're in no way a monopoly and that's something even you can agree on.

By "monopoly" I think most people refer to antitrust laws, which can apply when you get around 70% market share. So yes, they could legally speaking have a "monopoly".

In reality, very few companies every have a total monopoly. But the laws aren't written just to protect a total monopoly.
post #39 of 47
Quote:

By your def, I guess Windows never had a monopoly.
post #40 of 47
Quote:

By your def, I guess Windows never had a monopoly.

That's vastly different. One could not choose a different OS when buying a PC. There were search engines before Google and there are even more after . Does Apple have a monopoly on tablets just because their market share is so high?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google search reportedly 'de-ranking' direct iTunes app store links