or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google search reportedly 'de-ranking' direct iTunes app store links

Google search reportedly 'de-ranking' direct iTunes app store links - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

By "monopoly" I think most people refer to antitrust laws, which can apply when you get around 70% market share. So yes, they could legally speaking have a "monopoly".

In reality, very few companies every have a total monopoly. But the laws aren't written just to protect a total monopoly.

Mono means one and only one. Being the most popular a monopoly does not make.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #42 of 47
Did anyone actually try this search on Bing? I paged through all 19 pages of results that "facebook" (Without quotes) gives, and there were no iTunes hits. Not sure this is some vast Google conspiracy.
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGoat View Post

Did anyone actually try this search on Bing? I paged through all 19 pages of results that "facebook" (Without quotes) gives, and there were no iTunes hits. Not sure this is some vast Google conspiracy.

Bing gets the results from Google:

http://searchengineland.com/google-bing-is-cheating-copying-our-search-results-62914

Judging by the Bing design, they'd have been as well putting Google in an iframe.

Weird that Google doesn't seem to like it when someone copies the technology that contributes to their primary revenue stream. You'd think they'd be happy about fair competition.
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's vastly different. One could not choose a different OS when buying a PC. There were search engines before Google and there are even more after . Does Apple have a monopoly on tablets just because their market share is so high?
No one needs to buy a tablet. Most people need to search and the default is usually Google.
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

All Apple needs is about 2 million servers and an algorithm (or 2)...then create their own search/ad company.  Why not?

But then the question is whether Apple would start doing the same thing that people are accusing Google of doing.

post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

But then the question is whether Apple would start doing the same thing that people are accusing Google of doing.

Not sure...but I bet Apple would probably remove search results for pron, etc. :-)

But seriously, my guess is "no", Apple would not alter search algorithms for competitive advantage based on their history of good (not evil) choices in the past.

post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No one needs to buy a tablet. Most people need to search and the default is usually Google.

No one needs to search neither. We survived a great long time without computers and did just fine finding things.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google search reportedly 'de-ranking' direct iTunes app store links