or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Dominant mobile traffic share of Apple's iOS continues to grow against Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dominant mobile traffic share of Apple's iOS continues to grow against Android

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
The iPhone's position as America's best-selling smartphone and Apple's dominance of the tablet segment have led to a big lead iOS in mobile web traffic generation in the United States, and that lead continues to grow.

iphones


A new report from Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster features an independent analysis of traffic for 10 of the top 100 mobile websites. The data led Munster to conclude that iOS users are "generally more engaged with their mobile devices."

Piper Jaffray looked at Answers.com, Tumblr, ChaCha, Examiner, LinkedIn, Bleacher Report, Hubpages, White Pages, Squidoo, and Dictionary.com. Among those sites, Apple's iOS platform averaged better than 65 percent of all traffic across February and March, while Android was under 30 percent.

Also of note was the fact that iOS gained share from February to March, increasing from 65.3 percent to 66.4 percent. That gain came largely at the expense of Google's Android platform, which saw its traffic share dropping from 29.7 percent in February to 28.7 percent in March.

The analysis found the iPhone responsible for most iOS traffic, at roughly 60 percent. The iPad, though, gained on its smaller counterpart from February to March, with Apple's tablet now responsible for 39.7 percent of iOS web traffic.

Munster attributes the wide traffic disparity first to the iPhone's No. 1 spot in smartphone sales at the nation's top two carriers, Verizon and AT&T. The iPhone accounted for some 80 percent of AT&T smartphone sales in the fourth quarter and more than 60 percent at Verizon.

iOS users, the report posits, are also likely more engaged with their phones on a daily basis than the average Android user. Munster also believes that Apple's lead in tablets pushes its overall mobile lead, as tablets tend to generate more traffic than smartphones.

The report concludes that iOS is likely to continue to lead in mobile traffic generation in the US for at least the remainder of 2013. Piper Jaffray maintains its Overweight rating on AAPL, with a target price of $767.
post #2 of 27
Imagine that. Using real data and not some warped logic baseded on an unnamed source at an unnamed supplier to a supplier of Apple saying an unknown customer decreased orders so Apple must be failing.
post #3 of 27
Piper Jaffray does more harm than good to AAPL stock... I don't think that AAPL stock has EVER hit one of PJ's target prices. Yet PJ constantly touts these pie-in-the-sky numbers.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone's position as America's best-selling smartphone and Apple's dominance of the tablet segment have led to a big lead iOS in mobile web traffic generation in the United States, and that lead continues to grow.

iphones


A new report from Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster features an independent analysis of traffic for 10 of the top 100 mobile websites. The data led Munster to conclude that iOS users are "generally more engaged with their mobile devices."

That's an incredibly stupid analysis.

They're going to project the entire market based on TEN sites? And ten distinctly non-average sites? Sounds pretty clueless.

Not to mention, of course, that they're making a big deal out of changes in the numbers that are less than the likely error.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's an incredibly stupid analysis.

They're going to project the entire market based on TEN sites? And ten distinctly non-average sites? Sounds pretty clueless.

Not to mention, of course, that they're making a big deal out of changes in the numbers that are less than the likely error.

I get what you are saying, but they lay it all out there. These are 10 of the top 100 websites. I would like to see a larger sample, but the group (top 100) is a decent one. Have you ever looked at how unemployment numbers are reported here in the States? Something with a far more important outcome, and a very similar approach.

I would like to know if this includes traffic from custom apps or just from a browser.
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Piper Jaffray does more harm than good to AAPL stock... I don't think that AAPL stock has EVER hit one of PJ's target prices. Yet PJ constantly touts these pie-in-the-sky numbers.

Nonsense. Remember this guy was about when AAPL was under $10, and he was pretty much alone with Wu Shaw in seeing the potential in Apple.

post #7 of 27
I think that's right. Because iDevices is more web friendly. I have iphone 5 and I always use it in browsing internet but my friend s3 is only using 2g because he afraid always open his 3g because it will eat his s3 battery life. So sad because he limit to go to web because of poor performance of android device.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I get what you are saying, but they lay it all out there. These are 10 of the top 100 websites. I would like to see a larger sample, but the group (top 100) is a decent one. Have you ever looked at how unemployment numbers are reported here in the States? Something with a far more important outcome, and a very similar approach.

I would like to know if this includes traffic from custom apps or just from a browser.

I don't care if it's 10 from the top 100 or 10 from the bottom 100. It's not representative - for several reasons:

1. They don't state how they selected the 10 so we don't know if the 10 are representative of the top 100 or not. (for example, one of their sites is 'answers.com'. It is quite possible that Android users are more likely to simply use Google than iOS users, so the result would be biased. Or, perhaps the Android LinkedIn app is more advanced than the iOS one, so Android users are more likely to bypass the web site by using the app instead (or vice versa).

2. Apple may have a larger percentage of the top 100 than for all apps as a whole (for example, articles about Apple are more likely to make the top 100 sites than articles about HTC), so the top 100 may or may not be representative of the entire population.

3. The 'differences' being reported are likely within experimental error, so there's really no different to speak of, anyway.

There's nothing here that even remotely suggests that the results of this 'study' have any validity.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Imagine that. Using real data and not some warped logic baseded on an unnamed source at an unnamed supplier to a supplier of Apple saying an unknown customer decreased orders so Apple must be failing.

 

Want to know the typical troll response to this kind of data? "Most Android users change their browser IDs to IE Windows or some other browser. That's why they don't show up as Android users. Ha, ha, ha, Android is winning, Apple is doomed."

 

No, really, that's actually the reasoning the dumb asses use. Go to C|net and see for yourself. 

post #10 of 27

That was m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And ten distinctly non-average sites? 

That was my first reaction, too. I'd like to know the reasoning behind that choice. I can see how linkedIn can be a good choice of site (as a part of many) to get a look at a certain type of business user, but other than LinkedIn and perhaps the whitepages, the selection borders on the obscure for me.

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

That was m
That was my first reaction, too. I'd like to know the reasoning behind that choice. I can see how linkedIn can be a good choice of site (as a part of many) to get a look at a certain type of business user, but other than LinkedIn and perhaps the whitepages, the selection borders on the obscure for me.

Even Linkedin may be non-representative. It will have more business users than the population as a whole and is therefore biased. In addition, assuming that the LinkedIn app bypasses the web site, if there's a difference between the platforms in how many people use the app, that would also distort results.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Piper Jaffray does more harm than good to AAPL stock... I don't think that AAPL stock has EVER hit one of PJ's target prices. Yet PJ constantly touts these pie-in-the-sky numbers.

$767 is less than 10% over where it was a half a year ago. It would have to be an unusually bad year to not beat the previous year's high by at least that much. I'm not saying they are guaranteed to beat it or even voicing an opinion, but it's the most likely scenario if history is any indication. Granted, the first 9 months of last year were better than average, but $767 is hardly "pie-in-the-sky."

post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Even Linkedin may be non-representative. It will have more business users than the population as a whole and is therefore biased. In addition, assuming that the LinkedIn app bypasses the web site, if there's a difference between the platforms in how many people use the app, that would also distort results.

The business user aspect would help segment the traffic into categories - LinkedIn being part of a business category. But yes, most frequent LinkedIn users will no doubt use the App. 

post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I would like to know if this includes traffic from custom apps or just from a browser.

I believe the answer to that question is both yes and no. If the app uses the native webkit browser such as Chrome does then yes. If the app uses REST, SOAP, JSON, XML or other web service calls then no. I have not seen any reports as to what the percentages are.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's an incredibly stupid analysis.

They're going to project the entire market based on TEN sites? And ten distinctly non-average sites? Sounds pretty clueless.

Not to mention, of course, that they're making a big deal out of changes in the numbers that are less than the likely error.

I get what you are saying, but they lay it all out there. These are 10 of the top 100 websites. I would like to see a larger sample, but the group (top 100) is a decent one. Have you ever looked at how unemployment numbers are reported here in the States? Something with a far more important outcome, and a very similar approach.

I would like to know if this includes traffic from custom apps or just from a browser.

I would like to see some measure of how much data is being sent to the web from my mobile device.

I often post to forums like AI from my iPad. I would probably not do so from my iPhone -- except for very short posts.

Siri helps, but it is difficult to intermingle comments in a quoted post on any screen smaller than an iPad Mini.


For example, I am making this post from the throne – with both my iPhone and iPad handy. Likely, I wouldn't post if I only had the iPhone.

Poo poo pee doo!

Google BQ!

Ha! The previous line was returned by Siri when I dictated "Poo poo pee doo exclamation point".

Gotta' talk to that girl about her choice of search engines!

... Well, back to business…
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

And you are saying this is NOT true (about the browser ID)?

Are you kidding?

 

Only 1 on a zillion android user knows about that and actually changes it. 

post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


That's an incredibly stupid analysis.

They're going to project the entire market based on TEN sites? And ten distinctly non-average sites? Sounds pretty clueless.

Not to mention, of course, that they're making a big deal out of changes in the numbers that are less than the likely error.

 

I agree. I have not been to any of these sites on my iPhone. How about Google, YouTube, Facebook, Wikipedia, Yelp and other sites? 

post #18 of 27
Yes, Apples phone sales numbers haven't "dropped".
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... Well, back to business…

Wayyy too much information!  But I hope everything worked out in the end.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Piper Jaffray looked at Answers.com, Tumblr, ChaCha, Examiner, LinkedIn, Bleacher Report, Hubpages, White Pages, Squidoo, and Dictionary.com. Among those sites, Apple's iOS platform averaged better than 65 percent of all traffic across February and March, while Android was under 30 percent.

 

Well, for the record the only site here I ever have visited on my smartphone is LinkedIn.  

 

Some of the sites listed here are for finding answers to questions, which Google does a better job of anyway.  

 

The presence of White Pages and Dictionary.com indicates that iOS users are less likely to enter a contact's phone number into their phone, more likely to stalk others, and less literate than Android users.  

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I would like to know if this includes traffic from custom apps or just from a browser.

 

I wonder if it counts unique visits, or if it also includes every page being reloaded by the browser when the user moves around each site.

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

And you are saying this is NOT true (about the browser ID)?

 

Absolutely not true. Most Android users don't change their browser IDs because they don't know how or why they would do so, just like most iOS users don't jailbreak. Why is it that the nerd herd always thinks they are the norm rather than the weird exception?

post #23 of 27
I don't really have an issue with this report despite the questionable process. The reports of usage are too numerous too ignore; Citrix, Egnyte, Good Technologies, Gogo, Net Applications, Ooyala, etc.

At some point the preponderance of evidence should be assumed to be correct. A "customizable," open source paperweight is still just a paperweight.



Edited by MacBook Pro - 4/3/13 at 2:42pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Absolutely not true. Most Android users don't change their browser IDs because they don't know how or why they would do so, just like most iOS users don't jailbreak. Why is it that the nerd herd always thinks they are the norm rather than the weird exception?

The argument from the poster to which you responded is just a red herring. Notice that the same people don't suggest that Apple users may have modified the ID (they can). Furthermore, if so many Android users are modifying their ID then reports should indicate that certain browsers and operating systems have greater share but the only browser or operating system with dominant share is Apple iOS. Are all the Android users modifying their ID to indicate they are using Apple iOS? If so, why?
Edited by MacBook Pro - 4/3/13 at 2:44pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't care if it's 10 from the top 100 or 10 from the bottom 100. It's not representative - for several reasons:

1. They don't state how they selected the 10 so we don't know if the 10 are representative of the top 100 or not. (for example, one of their sites is 'answers.com'. It is quite possible that Android users are more likely to simply use Google than iOS users, so the result would be biased. Or, perhaps the Android LinkedIn app is more advanced than the iOS one, so Android users are more likely to bypass the web site by using the app instead (or vice versa).

2. Apple may have a larger percentage of the top 100 than for all apps as a whole (for example, articles about Apple are more likely to make the top 100 sites than articles about HTC), so the top 100 may or may not be representative of the entire population.

3. The 'differences' being reported are likely within experimental error, so there's really no different to speak of, anyway.

There's nothing here that even remotely suggests that the results of this 'study' have any validity.


First, lets agree that many of these studies are irrelevant. Like many IDC etc... studies, especially the online polls.

The results here are factual for those sites but may or may not represent the other 90 of the top 100. The issue here is that many websites want to keep usage data private, or sell it.

Why these specific 10 sites? Let's put on our "common sense thinking caps" to theorize.

Most likely these 10 sites use the same web metrics/analsys company. That company collects and analyzes the data and sells its reports to Investment firms and Wall Street banks. The company isn't lying about the data, they just have a limited data set..

Google via default search engine in iOS and Android, is most likely the #1 website/service accessed by mobile devices. Google has these platform metrics, but I have never seen them. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and they released that data.

My assumption ( could be very wrong ).
If they haven't released their search metrics, it's because Android isn't #1 in Google web searches from mobile devices.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I think if Android was the #1 mobile OS platform for Google searches, Google would be bragging about it and updating the data every month. The crazy thing is that there are, what, 3,4,5,6 times as many Android users as iOS users?

If Google did release this web search data via mobile OS, please post a link and feel free to insult me, I won't take it personably.

Food for thought...
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

First, lets agree that many of these studies are irrelevant. Like many IDC etc... studies, especially the online polls.

The results here are factual for those sites but may or may not represent the other 90 of the top 100. The issue here is that many websites want to keep usage data private, or sell it.

Why these specific 10 sites? Let's put on our "common sense thinking caps" to theorize.

Most likely these 10 sites use the same web metrics/analsys company. That company collects and analyzes the data and sells its reports to Investment firms and Wall Street banks. The company isn't lying about the data, they just have a limited data set..

Google via default search engine in iOS and Android, is most likely the #1 website/service accessed by mobile devices. Google has these platform metrics, but I have never seen them. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and they released that data.

My assumption ( could be very wrong ).
If they haven't released their search metrics, it's because Android isn't #1 in Google web searches from mobile devices.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I think if Android was the #1 mobile OS platform for Google searches, Google would be bragging about it and updating the data every month. The crazy thing is that there are, what, 3,4,5,6 times as many Android users as iOS users?

If Google did release this web search data via mobile OS, please post a link and feel free to insult me, I won't take it personably.

Food for thought...

You would think that Google would announce it if Android had the lead in mobile web searches, but there's no way to know for sure.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I think if Android was the #1 mobile OS platform for Google searches, Google would be bragging about it and updating the data every month.

 

Has Google ever said in such detail where it gets its income from?

 

Basically, Google is making money from all mobile devices, not just their own, which is a nice place to be in.

 

Side note: many people were misled long ago by a widely repeated (and bogus) claim that Google told Congress that most of their mobile income came from Apple.  This came from a carefully edited video snippet which quoted that "most of the web searches come from iOS devices".  Many articles have been written using that quote as a jumping off point.

 

Yet if you watch the entire Congressional testimony, what Google continued afterward to say was that, while most of their mobile searches at the time came from iOS devices, it did not matter monetarily, because the overwhelming majority of their mobile revenue came from ads inside apps.... NOT from mobile web searches.

 

This was quite a revelation, that most of their mobile revenue comes from apps, not searches, yet almost every news site totally missed it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Dominant mobile traffic share of Apple's iOS continues to grow against Android
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Dominant mobile traffic share of Apple's iOS continues to grow against Android