or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Microsoft to introduce Google Glass competitor in 2014

Rumor: Microsoft to introduce Google Glass competitor in 2014

post #1 of 67
Wearable electronics are apparently the next big trend in tech, as a new rumor claims Microsoft plans to join the fray with its own set of high-tech glasses in the first half of 2014.

Google Glass
Google Glass. | Source: Google

Analyst Brian White said in a note to investors on Thursday that he believes Microsoft is planning to bring to market a set of Internet-connected glasses next year. If true, that would put Microsoft in a position to compete with Google Glass, a project with a very public presence despite the fact that it is still in development.

White believes that Google Glass will kick off what he sees as a "major push" in wearable electronics by the biggest tech companies. Among those expected to play a part is Apple, which is rumored to be working on a so-called "iWatch" accessory.

The same analyst made waves on Wednesday when he claimed that Apple plans to launch a full-fledged television set later this year with a new hand-worn accessory White dubbed the "iRing." With this device, he said, users will be able to use their hands to easily control the television set.

White's details were purportedly taken from discussions with members of Apple's supply chain while on a tour of Asia. While Wednesday was the first such indication of an "iRing," rumors of an "iWatch" appeared earlier this year and have remained ever since.

AppleInsider even unearthed a smart watch concept from an Apple patent application in February that showed a wrist-worn device with a curved, flexible display.

While rumors have suggested Apple's interest in wearable technology lies in the hands, Google ??and now, allegedly, Microsoft as well ? has shown more interest in the eyes. It was even confirmed earlier this year that Google Glass will offer compatibility with Apple's iPhone over Bluetooth, as well as devices running Google's Android mobile operating system.

Glass
Google co-founder Sergey Brin wearing Google Glass.

In addition to Bluetooth, Google Glass prototypes also include Wi-Fi and GPS, as well as an integrated camera for snapping pictures. By wearing Google Glass, users will be able to accomplish voice-driven activities such as sending a text message or answering a call. The integrated display, located to to the upper right of a user's right eye, displays necessary information to operate the headset.

While much is known about Google Glass, White's note to investors on Thursday offered no specific indication as to what direction Microsoft's rumored glasses might take. He expects Google's product to ship first, in late 2013, before Microsoft's arrives in the first half of next year.

"It appears to us that Google has made significant breakthroughs around software applications as it relates to this new product," he said. "As such, we believe this initiative will kick off a major push into the field of wearable electronics and therefore will be closely scrutinized."
post #2 of 67

These smart glasses are going to be so outlawed, banned in public places, while driving and at corporate offices, however they will have a very beneficial gene pool cleansing Darwin effect.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #3 of 67

In other news - Microsoft is set to copy someone else's idea. Oh wait, that's not news. 

post #4 of 67

I hear that Msoft is calling theirs the "Monkey See (Monkey Do)"

post #5 of 67

Ok so it's not a rumor.  Just speculation from a Wall Street analyst.

post #6 of 67
These guys are set out to copy each other in the hopes they can get a first-foot in a new area. After they are done looking like idiots, Apple will come out with their own, entirely unique and useful version, the rest of the industry players will realize (yet again) that they have no clue, and will try to pull a Samsung and claim it was "natural progression" of tech.

Rinse and repeat.
post #7 of 67

These are BOTH shameless copies of Apple. I mean, Steve Jobs wore glasses - typical Microsoft and Google stealing Apple's ideas! What's next, a Google Black Mock Turtleneck computer?

post #8 of 67

a couple of years after MS's offering, Apple will come in and 'invent' the wearable computing market.  Introducing the 'iGlass'

Apple announces they forked off a new version of OSX ... myOS, and it's UI totally controlled by monitoring neural commands by monitoring the bloodflow brainwaves of the temporal region, using technologies they developed from their Authentec purchase.   Liquid Metal is used to manufacture the computer into the frames and temples of the glasses, and a heat pump technology developed in Reno for their data center is shrunk down to power the units tapping power from the heat given off from the head.  Facetime is performed by a telescoping 12" arm with  micro mirror that auto projects when you wish to use the 'rear' camera  with image stabalization, and the ability to remove the glasses from the video stream.   The A10xxx chip, a 2nm etch, is an 8 core BAoC (BadAss on a Chip) that has the computational capacity of AWS in 2012, and it's electrical consumption is measure in nanoAmps.

Retails at $299 with the 16GB unit.  $429 for LTE enabled.  Ordered enabled Friday Morning, Shipping by end of month for  all anglo/latin derived languages.  Asian languages will ship 2 weeks after than, Cyrillic and Hebrew in 2 months.  a JiveTalking version will ship in 3 months.    the iGlass Mini will also ship at the same time for children under the age of 18, with parental controls built in 

Oh, and One More Thing...  

All iGlasses come with icloud enabled video capture on all the time.  As you walk, everything you see/hear/feel is recorded and uploaded to iCloud... no more taking class notes, scrambling for that camera app, no having a policeman 'creatively' distort your actions,  noforgetting what your wife said, what exactly that guys expression was when you first saw him... nothing.   And the cost... is Free for the first year, and $25/year after that for upto 4Petabytes of data, which we figure is 8 hours of capture a day.

Dvorak, Lyons, Ballmer, Zuckerburg, Sergey, Larry and CmdrTaco  all claim Apple's entry as 'lame', 'expensive toyware', 'immature' in the market, with a lack of lens colors, display sizes (what about old people...don't they need bigger screens)?, no support for flash, and mind controlled microsoft office, because we all know that people want to manipulate spreadsheets while they drive.

post #9 of 67
Remind me ... 'Microsoft ..?' I can't quite remember who or what they are ...
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #10 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I hear that Msoft is calling theirs the "Monkey See (Monkey Do)"

I heard it was "Ballmer see, Ballmer do".

Oh, wait. Same thing.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

These smart glasses are going to be so outlawed, banned in public places, while driving and at corporate offices, however they will have a very beneficial gene pool cleansing Darwin effect.

I think these things are simply a geek toy and will die off as a novelty that is more of a distraction and a pain in the rear to deal with as you'll be taking them on/off all day long.

I wear prescription glasses and hate having to wear them, but i have to.  To put something else on in addition to prescription glasses is just STUPID.  I don't see how they will work in addition to prescription glasses, nor do I want to find out.

post #12 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think these things are simply a geek toy and will die off as a novelty that is more of a distraction and a pain in the rear to deal with as you'll be taking them on/off all day long.

I wear prescription glasses and hate having to wear them, but i have to.  To put something else on in addition to prescription glasses is just STUPID.  I don't see how they will work in addition to prescription glasses, nor do I want to find out.

My exact thoughts... beat me to it :)

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #13 of 67
Quote:

Smart enough glasses will tune and digitally refract to your eyes;-)  the iDoctor App ;-) ;-) ;-)

post #14 of 67
The newest thing right now is laser eye surgery to REMOVE glasses. Why would I want to go back to glasses after getting rid of them!
post #15 of 67
Sony is also working on their own "Glass" version too according to the news. The noise is beginning to sound a lot like when Apple competitors found out the iPad was real. Everyone else suddenly said they had an even better slate coming. "Look over here, don't look over there!"

This too shall pass. . .
melior diabolus quem scies
post #16 of 67

At least the pedophiles and other creepy stalkers will have multiple brands of stalker glasses to choose from.

post #17 of 67
Quote:

Don't you think there'll be prescription Google glass? Maybe not at launch, but if they're successful i'm sure it'll show up. I don't see why could couldn't have actual glass built onto the frame. I'm sure if it's successful or if some 3rd party companies like ray ban, armani, etc decide it's worth investing in, it'll eventually happen.

Lots of products were thought of as novelties/distractions at launch. I'd never buy google glass at launch (for similar reasons to why i don't have a tablet - can't see how it would improve my lifestyle), but if Siri-like voice control improves and a glasses-based (or wristwatch based) computer could supplant at least 50% of the time a spend staring at my phone/holding my phone up to my ear, i'd be all for it. 

post #18 of 67
Well where electronic clothes would be convenient: shoes, rumors of rings and watches, glasses and cap, what is the next pearsonel area targeted?
post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is going to be an interesting development. I personally would ask anyone sitting down with me to take their Glass off.

And seriously, shouldn't it be Glasses?

"Oh yes, my Google/MS Glass is (are?) prescription glasses."
"Oh, these are glasses, not Glass."
"What is Google Glass? Well, Glass is glasses with ..."

As if the world (to wit, members herein) isn't illiterate enough.
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I heard it was "Ballmer see, Ballmer do".

Oh, wait. Same thing.

Right, they started developing this last month after seeing Google Glass.
Edited by ankleskater - 4/5/13 at 12:09pm
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Don't you think there'll be prescription Google glass? Maybe not at launch, but if they're successful i'm sure it'll show up.

Google already said that prescription lenses will be available. They've already been spotted in use.

http://mashable.com/2013/03/12/google-glass-prescription-lenses/
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/too-nearsighted-google-glass-prescription-lenses-spotted-ny-1C7786307
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

At least the pedophiles and other creepy stalkers will have multiple brands of stalker glasses to choose from.

Don't you already have a really small camera in your shoe or prescription glasses?
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

These guys are set out to copy each other in the hopes they can get a first-foot in a new area. After they are done looking like idiots, Apple will come out with their own, entirely unique and useful version, the rest of the industry players will realize (yet again) that they have no clue, and will try to pull a Samsung and claim it was "natural progression" of tech.

Rinse and repeat.

So you're saying that any change in the design of Glass after Apple releases the not even rumored iGlass, which would come some number of years after Google releases the very first computerized glasses ever, would be Google copying Apple? That sounds backwards to me.
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

These are BOTH shameless copies of Apple. I mean, Steve Jobs wore glasses - typical Microsoft and Google stealing Apple's ideas! What's next, a Google Black Mock Turtleneck computer?

Not having a good day, are you?

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

So you're saying that any change in the design of Glass after Apple releases the not even rumored iGlass, which would come some number of years after Google releases the very first computerized glasses ever, would be Google copying Apple? That sounds backwards to me.

Just like Apple copied MS in tablets, right?

post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Just like Apple copied MS in tablets, right?

No?
post #27 of 67

In other news Baidu is now ripping off the rippers!

http://english.sina.com/business/2013/0402/577586.html

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 67
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
…what is the next pearsonel area targeted?

I think that speaks for itself…

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #29 of 67
Quote:

For them to die off they'll have to first catch on, and that's never going to happen. And, the reason you give is exactly why, wearing glasses sucks, and the more there is to them, the more it sucks. Not to mention how stupid you look wearing them. Most geeks aren't even going to want to be seen in these things.

Sure, there might be some special purpose uses where they catch on, but these things are not even going to reach fad status. The entire "glass" concept is ill-conceived, and is DOA for general consumer use.
post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

For them to die off they'll have to first catch on, and that's never going to happen. And, the reason you give is exactly why, wearing glasses sucks, and the more there is to them, the more it sucks. Not to mention how stupid you look wearing them. Most geeks aren't even going to want to be seen in these things.

Sure, there might be some special purpose uses where they catch on, but these things are not even going to reach fad status. The entire "glass" concept is ill-conceived, and is DOA for general consumer use.

Do you think somebody in 1990 with a chunky and unsightly PC would think that a desktop computer could be as sexy as the new iMac? I doubt it. As this type of product evolves it will become more attractive, and at some point, it will be not ugly to a great enough degree that its functionality will make any compromise in appearance worthwhile.
post #31 of 67
This puts Samsung in a very curious position, do they begin copying the microsoft/google 'eye' way with two big players leading development, or do they copy the Apple 'hand' way which with their track record are the smart target for copying. They have to bet on who has made the best move.
post #32 of 67

It looks like Apple is lagging behind even Microsoft Glass.

post #33 of 67

I wonder if the computer part of Google Glass can be removed from the spectacle frame and added to standard prescription glasses. If it can be done, then people could actually attach it to dark glasses and you won't be able to see their eyes roll up to warn you that they are up to something!

Of course, if you couldn't remove it from the frame and mount it on standard prescription glasses, you are going to lose a significant portion of the market.

post #34 of 67
Quote:

Do you think somebody in 1990 with a chunky and unsightly PC would think that a desktop computer could be as sexy as the new iMac? I doubt it. As this type of product evolves it will become more attractive, and at some point, it will be not ugly to a great enough degree that its functionality will make any compromise in appearance worthwhile.

Well, you weren't wearing that PC, so the analogy sort of falls apart right there. It doesn't matter how "attractive" they make them, you'll still look like a dork, and you'll still have to wear them.

post #35 of 67
Quote:

On the flip-side I remember not being at all embarrassed to wear a Nehru jacket back in the day. 1biggrin.gif In hindsight it was thankfully a very short "day".

What's acceptable and even desirable attire is constantly changing. I've no doubt every one of us has worn or carried something that at one time would have been totally out of the question.

When the iPad first came out I had a friend who started carrying a man-purse, something he made fun of in the past. Why the change of heart? He was one of the first few buyers of the iPad and wanted to constantly have it with him to show off. it went everywhere with him and was the first thing out on the table if we were out for drinks or something to eat..He totally enjoyed the attention of people stopping to ask questions and get a demo.

Google Glass could become that next tech status symbol just as the iPad was. Who knows for certain yet. My personal guess is yes it will.
post #36 of 67
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

FUD.

To lag, one must care about this crap. Where's your proof that Apple cares?

Edited by Tallest Skil - 4/5/13 at 6:32am

post #37 of 67

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

post #38 of 67
The smartwatch is a lot better idea than this, whether it's Apple or Samsung that release it first. I think Glass will work in certain situations (like professional situations, might be useful for training...) but a lot of people won't want to have that thing pointing at them when they talk to someone, or they won't want to wear glasses or to see stuff in front of their eyes all the time, or they just won't want to look like idiots.

Glass is actually going backwards because it removes 'easy' touch controls and even with voice control, in some situations you want to be able to do everything easily with a touchscreen.
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Remind me ... 'Microsoft ..?' I can't quite remember who or what they are ...

The ones that provide all servers that Apple uses.

iCloud is Microsoft Azure for example.

post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

If Apple EVER releases something like Glass...

... I stop eating chocolate for a week.

Will Never Happen

Because

Glass Is Stupid.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Microsoft to introduce Google Glass competitor in 2014