or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Zuckerberg unclear on iOS Facebook Home, says Android's openness allows unique experiences

Zuckerberg unclear on iOS Facebook Home, says Android's openness allows unique experiences

post #1 of 68
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was non-committal on Thursday when asked if iOS users could expect to see Facebook Home showing up on their devices, saying instead that the openness of Google's Android platform made possible experiences "that you can't have anywhere else."

fbhome
Facebook's new Android-based launcher, Facebook Home

Speaking during the question-and-answer portion of the event for Facebook's new Android-based launcher, Zuckerberg appeared to give a non-answer regarding the possibility of Home appearing on Apple's mobile platform.

"We have a great relationship with Apple," Zuckerberg said, according to CNet. "Anything that happens with Apple is going to happen with partnership.""Because of Google's commitment to openness, you can have experiences on Android that you can't have anywhere else." - Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Continuing, Zuckerberg seemed to indicate that Facebook Home was built without any Google input.

"Google's Android is open, so we don't have to work with them."

Apple controls virtually every aspect of its iOS platform, and iOS device users must "jailbreak" their devices in order to make anything more than superficial alterations to its design and functionality. Apple's platform, also, doesn't allow for many of the interface options available from the wide array of Android launcher developers, including those featured in Facebook Home.

Android's mutability, Zuckerbeg said earlier in the event, the main reason the Facebook Home experience is possible on the platform.

"The great thing about Android is that it's so open," Zuckerberg said shortly after unveiling Home. "Because of Google's commitment to openness, you can have experiences on Android that you can't have anywhere else."

The run-up to Thursday's event began with a somewhat cryptic invitation sent out by Facebook last week, inviting recipients to "come see our new home on Android." Initial speculation around the event held that it could signal that the social network was finally making a long-rumored move into providing its own mobile platform. Subsequent reports revealed the new Android launcher interface and, later, the HTC First hardware, putting rumors of an Android fork and new mobile platform to rest.

no forking way

Zuckerberg acknowledged those rumors in the midst of Thursday's presentation, throwing up a graphic on the screen showing that Facebook wouldn't be making its own OS or forking Android.

"We're not building a phone, and we're not building an operating system," he proclaimed, reiterating previous statements on Facebook's mobile plans. "A great phone might sell 10 or 20 million units. Our user base is at about a billion. Even if we made a great phone, we'd only be serving one or two percent of our base."

Even without a new platform, the move could serve to heighten the competition between Google and Facebook, who are locked in battle over Internet user mindshare and advertising dollars. Facebook Home will keep users going through Facebook first, and it could be tweaked to, for instance, route users' search inquiries through Facebook partner Microsoft's Bing search engine.

Zuckerberg was, however, open to the idea of Google's competing social network, Google+, integrating with Facebook Home. That just won't be happening in the very near future, though.

"[Facebook Home] will be open," Zuckerberg said, "and over time we'd love to add more content from competing social services, but it won't happen at launch."
post #2 of 68
I can answer this.... No.

There's no way in hell Apple would allow them access to the home screen.
post #3 of 68
I'm sure. Who wouldn't want both Google and Facebook spying on everything you do!
post #4 of 68

Does that graphic mean "stick a fork in it, it's done" ?

post #5 of 68
Translation.. "Android allows us to preinstall bloatware and the unique experience is us knowing what you are doing. That's not possible with iOS."
post #6 of 68
iOS does not need ths, this is not how people work. Facebook may work like that but the Facebook integration in iOS is better.
Edited by AppleSauce007 - 4/4/13 at 5:56pm
post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Translation.. "Android allows us to preinstall bloatware and the unique experience is us knowing what you are doing. That's not possible with iOS."

Translation for your translation: I only know how to see things from one perspective - the ignorant one.
post #8 of 68
MSNBC Finance channel has already taken a poll about this Facebook phone. Eighty-two percent of those polled said no way would they purchase such a phone. I'm with them.
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

iOS does not meet ths, this is not how people work. Facebook may work like that but the Facebook integration in iOS is better.

It all depends on what "better" means.
post #10 of 68
Facebook is starting to seem like AOLwas back in the 90s- an Internet portal
post #11 of 68
Quote:

Even without a new platform, the move could serve to heighten the competition between Google and Facebook, who are locked in battle over Internet user mindshare and advertising dollars. Facebook Home will keep users going through Facebook first, and it could be tweaked to, for instance, route users' search inquiries through Facebook partner Microsoft's Bing search engine.

Some of you may be too young to remember this, but Google and Facebook remind me of the old Burma Shave Roadside signs. Advertiser use to battle over roadside real estate and getting people to view their billboard then Burma-shave came out with their revolutionary little road side signs with jiggles that everyone use to look for.

Edited by Maestro64 - 4/8/13 at 7:54am
post #12 of 68
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_prof View Post

MSNBC Finance channel has already taken a poll about this Facebook phone. Eighty-two percent of those polled said no way would they purchase such a phone. I'm with them.

That is irrelevant. Soon, every Android phone would be "such a phone". The better question/survey would be how many Android users would want Chatheads. I think the number will not be small.
post #14 of 68
The day Apple puts facebook in the home page (or even slight hint of it) is going to be last day I upgrade iOS or buy a new iPhone/iPad.
post #15 of 68
Zuckerberg went so far as to say that they weren't creating an OS or forking Android yet used those points as his excuse for not deploying on iOS. Facebook already has a choice seat at Apple's dinner table, they have far more freedom with iOS than most others, so the reason Facebook Home is going to Android first (and maybe only) is purely a political one.

Home is clearly for the Facebook obsessed. It's not greater enough than the Facebook app to make me want to get a new phone. If Zuck said it was coming to iOS but only iPhone 5S users can get it, I still wouldn't get a new phone just for it. I said this right after the keynote and I'll say it again, like millions upon millions of others, Facebook is part of my world... but it isn't "my whole world".
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
post #16 of 68
post #17 of 68
So what this really means is that "FB" FaceBook want's to control the way
you view your content on the phone!
Then ultimately control the way you access the apps on your phone?
post #18 of 68

FB is going to hurt Google. 

post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBubble View Post

Yup, you got it. This could really piss Google off :) and for that I am happy.

post #20 of 68
Quote:

Interesting point and They could bastardized Android to the point that is cuts Google out, hey it open and free other companies are few to make it do what they want. 

post #21 of 68
Quote:

It's just one more option to choose from when customizing your Android phone. Because, you know, you can actually do that without jailbreaking it.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #22 of 68

Facebook is quickly becoming a giant waste of time. All I see any more are rehashed pictures of some stupid phrase next to some folksy picture, or memes, or something about how if guns kill people that spoons make people fat... it's an absolute waste of time.  Every time I go there to do some actual work (like post something on one of my business pages), I'm sucked in by it and get nothing accomplished.  Why would I want to have more of that on my phone? Why would I want to know the birthdays, phones numbers and menstrual cycles of all of my friends available at my finger tips? Please God no.

post #23 of 68

well, Apple won't allow access to the UI, but we can get great things:

-Facebook chat support on messages;

-That's all i want from them.

Also, the way that Mark talked about android and the "open" BS, putting Google between a sword and a wall was great. Imagine all the kicking Google could get if they tried something to stop Facebook. This is just the beginning, people don't even need to fork Android, just a launcher to control the content/ads and steal google's revenue.

post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Yes but maybe after that it might be slide to enter Facebook ID or something, however what Facebook has is what all other apps have plus a little spot in the OS.
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Facebook is quickly becoming a giant waste of time. All I see any more are rehashed pictures of some stupid phrase next to some folksy picture, or memes, or something about how if guns kill people that spoons make people fat... it's an absolute waste of time.  Every time I go there to do some actual work (like post something on one of my business pages), I'm sucked in by it and get nothing accomplished.  Why would I want to have more of that on my phone? Why would I want to know the birthdays, phones numbers and menstrual cycles of all of my friends available at my finger tips? Please God no.

How is that different that it always was?

post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Thanks for that -- greek to German translation. I'm guessing that the "openness" is basically the ability to mod the platform. So we won't get the "24/7 spy an bloatware electronic device that sometimes makes phone calls?" Gee, it's time to short Apple stock -- like the other news that they are gaining on Samsung and Google.
post #27 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We have a great relationship with Apple," Zuckerberg said, according to CNet. "Anything that happens with Apple is going to happen with partnership."

Sounds like Zuckerberg's version of 'you'll have to ask Apple'. They're closed if you don't get your own way. Apple needs to start using a negative term to describe everything Facebook and Google do like 'invasive'. We won't do Google Glasses because we're not invasive like Google wanting to film you everywhere you go. We're not invasive like Facebook who want to take over your home screen.
Quote:

"Because of Google's commitment to openness, you can have experiences on Android that you can't have anywhere else." - Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

I wonder if people who favour openness so much leave their front doors open. Show us the Facebook databases Zuckerberg, what are you hiding behind your closed doors? Oh right, it's ok to be open as along as long as it's IP that's been ripped off from someone else and doesn't affect your own revenue stream.
Quote:

"Google's Android is open, so we don't have to work with them."

That sounded like an insult Google, you gonna take that? This must be because of the whole Google Plus thing. See that Google, when you tread on other people's turf, they don't like you any more.
Quote:

Apple controls virtually every aspect of its iOS platform, and iOS device users must "jailbreak" their devices in order to make anything more than superficial alterations to its design and functionality.

What counts as a superficial alteration? Changing the homescreen seems fairly superficial. Also, this has nothing to do with jailbreaking. Apple just didn't design the OS with the feature Facebook uses. Android phones have restricted permissions too, hence the reason there are tutorials for rooting Android to break out of it. It's not the same as jailbreaking but in their shipped states, there are restrictions on both.
Quote:
Zuckerberg says phones are currently designed around apps.
But what would it be like if phones were designed around people instead of apps?
"It would feel really different," he says.

Yes really different and really sh*t. Unlike people who work at Google and Facebook, some people just don't care to surveillance every mundane action of their close friends.
Quote:
He begins to explain a feature called Chatheads.

This is kind of cool. If you're in an app and receive a message, the thumbnail image of the sender pops up on the side of the screen. You can tap it and go into message mode - then easily surf back to get to the app.

He refers to "the joy you feel when your friend's face pops up with a message."

Zuckerberg screens a new video ad featuring a bored guy waiting for his flight to take off. He sees people in his phone and they appear next to him on the plane. It breaks his boredom and carries him to the favorite places of his personal life.

Why is it that these big companies get so hyped up over technology we've had for years now and not only that hype it in the creepiest ways? I get the distinct impression that ideas are running a little thin.
Quote:
The home screen is the soul of your phone.. it sets the tone. We feel it should be deeply personal.

Hey, that's what Samsung's been looking for: a new home screen.
Quote:
The tablet launch is not ready, Ondrejka said.
So Home is ready to go on your Android phone but not on your tablet.

Oh yeah, this is Android. Tablets seem to be problematic. Well, openness only gets you so far.
Quote:
Facebook's share price climbed about half a point, to 27.15, during today's presentation. The stock was first offered to the public in May for $38.

They're back baby!
post #28 of 68

How to become a platform partisan while desperately trying not to appear to be a platform partisan. Put on your tap shoes Mark, time for some fancy dancing.

post #29 of 68
ChatHeads is potentially going to be very popular. It may be popular enough to drive more teens to Android. Apple may have to seriously consider this. And if Apple adopt Chat Heads, will they be rounded rectangles?
post #30 of 68

Facebook will never be that company that change how we use technology.  They can easily replace by the next big thing which is what they are desperately trying to avoid.  They are a one trick pony company.

post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Translation for your translation: I only know how to see things from one perspective - the ignorant one.

Yeah.. because installing a spyware on your phone from a company known for not caring about consumer privacy is an awesome idea.. you must be an ignorant person for not loving Facebook and their Home feature¡

post #32 of 68
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It's already forcibly installed in the OS and visible in all Apple apps whether you even use it or not.

I wouldn't bet against very much idiocy any more.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #33 of 68
"The great thing about Android is that it's so open..."

Zuckerberg added, "And by open I mean that our applications are able to do whatever the **** they want in terms of grabbing any and all of your private data and doing whatever the **** we want with it, whether we ask for your permission or not. In fact, our developers created a sweet-ass dialog that asks for permission to access your contacts, calendar, etc., but it has the ability to read your mind: By the time we have asked for your permission to access these items, the applications accessed them 10 days beforehand. Amazing! Apple on the other hand is an OS Nazi, not letting us do anything that helps us and fucks customers."
post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's already forcibly installed in the OS and visible in all Apple apps whether you even use it or not.

I wouldn't bet against very much idiocy any more.

It's not forcibly installed into iOS. Apple wrote the APIs and exposed them for all Social Services to leverage and be leveraged if 3rd party app developers want to do so.

A contract with Facebook and Apple is the reason it's so publicly exposed by Apple. Facebook is paying for that exposure.

That is where it ends.

If you think Cook, Ivy, Federighi and the rest of the Engineering Teams gives two craps about Facebook you're delusional. Just read the Webkit discussions about how what a true relief it is that Google forked WebKit with blink.

I'm thrilled now that several GBs of crap is getting expunged from trunk and I've yet to read any disatisfaction from Apple and others to see it go bye-bye, who actually commit and maintain WebKit.

Apple has retaken control of it and already I'm seeing a lot of updates today from Apple filling up the Trac timeline.

post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Facebook is often just reposts of what has been on Reddit hours or even days before.

If I left flipboard running it provides a similar experience with more than Facebook providing content.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #36 of 68
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
It's not forcibly installed into iOS. Apple wrote the APIs and exposed them for all Social Services to leverage and be leveraged if 3rd party app developers want to do so.

A contract with Facebook and Apple is the reason it's so publicly exposed by Apple. Facebook is paying for that exposure.

That is where it ends.

I'm forced to see it. It's forced. Of course it's forcibly installed. It's part of the OS by default. I don't want it; it's there; I can't turn it off. That's the definition of forced.

post #37 of 68

ah Zuckerberg's BS. of course they are "forking" Android. no, not the OS - the far, far more important ecosystem. did you see anything that said "Google" in the demo? just like Samsung, FB is laying its own "walled garden" top level over a subordinated standard Android phone. sure, you can get to it, but just wait ... for the FB media store, app store, camera app, and many other FB services that compete with Google's - all accessed from the Home top level UI. a FB Maps app will be the big move.

FB plans to eat Google's lunch. just a matter of time. that will be the "unique experience."

post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Facebook is often just reposts of what has been on Reddit hours or even days before.

If I left flipboard running it provides a similar experience with more than Facebook providing content.

I disagree with both statements, but not the general point.

More importantly, you are onto something here. If Facebook can do this, so can others. Technically, it is not that hard. Effectively, 3rd party app launchers already exist. But they do not have the features that Home offers. But imagine if WhatsApp got together with Flipboard and added a cool notification system ...

If Home takes off, I wonder how the likes of Samsung and HTC will rethink their strategy on TouchWiz and Sense.

The potential of disruption by Home is possibly more immense than what most people (and not just here) give it credit for.

Edited by stelligent - 4/4/13 at 6:08pm
post #39 of 68

I think FB showed Apple a way for iOS to beat Android.  Apple could be like an OEM selling iPhones to customers like FB.  Best of all, Apple can let iPhone buyers to customize their home by going to FB to install it.  This is giving users maximum choice in addition to letting them install apps. 

post #40 of 68

of course there will never be an iOS FB Home app like this. Apple will let FB visit many parts of its Walled Garden as much as it wants, but never take over the Main Gate or Storefronts.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Zuckerberg unclear on iOS Facebook Home, says Android's openness allows unique experiences