or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Zuckerberg unclear on iOS Facebook Home, says Android's openness allows unique experiences
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zuckerberg unclear on iOS Facebook Home, says Android's openness allows unique experiences - Page 2

post #41 of 68

Been thinking more about this, and having seen the demo on video ...

 

It's slick, really slick. And it will be available for download in 10 days. I predict it will take off. If it does, many will forsake TouchWiz, Sense, etc. But it doesn't stop there. This is a slick, slick integration of an app launcher, newsfeed, messaging system ... For those without Facebook paranoia (and there are many), this is the smartphone OS they have been waiting for. This is disruption.

 

Home is not just a threat to Google. Apple will have to treat it as such as well. Millions upon millions of iOS users could have Facebook Home envy and some will consider switching. This is, as stated earlier (in this or another thread?), the first real Android-exclusive killer app.

 

Without being a passionate Facebooker, I still find this quite exciting and look forward to see how every party will respond. 

post #42 of 68

The fact that Zuckerberg doesn't have the means to take over my iPhone UX confirms that iOS is the right platform for me.

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #43 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Been thinking more about this, and having seen the demo on video ...

It's slick, really slick. And it will be available for download in 10 days. I predict it will take off. If it does, many will forsake TouchWiz, Sense, etc. But it doesn't stop there. This is a slick, slick integration of an app launcher, newsfeed, messaging system ... For those without Facebook paranoia (and there are many), this is the smartphone OS they have been waiting for. This is disruption.

Home is not just a threat to Google. Apple will have to treat it as such as well. Millions upon millions of iOS users could have Facebook Home envy and some will consider switching. This is, as stated earlier (in this or another thread?), the first real Android-exclusive killer app.

Without being a passionate Facebooker, I still find this quite exciting and look forward to see how every party will respond. 

I saw the video too. One thing comes to mind - the physics engine is awesome. Now we see why they acquired Push Pop.
post #44 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Been thinking more about this, and having seen the demo on video ...

 

It's slick, really slick. And it will be available for download in 10 days. I predict it will take off. If it does, many will forsake TouchWiz, Sense, etc. But it doesn't stop there. This is a slick, slick integration of an app launcher, newsfeed, messaging system ... For those without Facebook paranoia (and there are many), this is the smartphone OS they have been waiting for. This is disruption.

 

Home is not just a threat to Google. Apple will have to treat it as such as well. Millions upon millions of iOS users could have Facebook Home envy and some will consider switching. This is, as stated earlier (in this or another thread?), the first real Android-exclusive killer app.

 

Without being a passionate Facebooker, I still find this quite exciting and look forward to see how every party will respond. 

 

Don't forget Facebook advertisements being pushed directly to your lock screen. I agree this is a threat to Google more than anyone else. According to Zuckerberg, it is intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete.

post #45 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Don't forget Facebook advertisements being pushed directly to your lock screen. I agree this is a threat to Google more than anyone else. According to Zuckerberg, it is intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete.

Funny. I listened to the whole presentation and didn't hear him say that.
post #46 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

 

Don't forget Facebook advertisements being pushed directly to your lock screen. I agree this is a threat to Google more than anyone else. According to Zuckerberg, it is intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete.

That's the gambit, isn't it? Facebook is betting that they have found a way not to annoy most users with how the ads will show up. There is strong history to suggest they aren't wrong. But, as usual, time will tell. And they don't have a choice, advertising is how they make money.

 

Regardless, IMHO, it is a stroke of brilliance even if it is not wildly successful. But I think it will be quite popular.

post #47 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Interesting point and They could bastardized Android to the point that is cuts Google out, hey it open and free other companies are few to make it do what they want. 

Amazon has already done that (cut google out of the revenue with there fork).

post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

 

Without being a passionate Facebooker, I still find this quite exciting and look forward to see how every party will respond. 

well that is the key of course. it's slick, and FB addicts will likely love it. just like Amazon addicts will love an Amazon phone, coming soon no doubt. each should carve out a good market niche within the overall Android fragmented mess. both will hurt now-dominant Samsung, which hasn't faced such strong competition from within the Android zone before, and has no consumer services of its own anyone outside Korea cares about.

 

and it's really the nail in the coffin for Windows Phone.

post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


Funny. I listened to the whole presentation and didn't hear him say that.

 

Go back and listen to the whole event again. From the Verge:

 

"At the event, he fielded a question: "We may see ads in cover feed?" Zuckerberg: "Yup!" This is targeted, full-screen, push advertising in your pocket when Google is still selling banner ads inside free apps."


Edited by NasserAE - 4/4/13 at 8:37pm
post #50 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Been thinking more about this, and having seen the demo on video ...

 

It's slick, really slick. And it will be available for download in 10 days. I predict it will take off. If it does, many will forsake TouchWiz, Sense, etc. But it doesn't stop there. This is a slick, slick integration of an app launcher, newsfeed, messaging system ... For those without Facebook paranoia (and there are many), this is the smartphone OS they have been waiting for. This is disruption.

 

Home is not just a threat to Google. Apple will have to treat it as such as well. Millions upon millions of iOS users could have Facebook Home envy and some will consider switching. This is, as stated earlier (in this or another thread?), the first real Android-exclusive killer app.

 

Without being a passionate Facebooker, I still find this quite exciting and look forward to see how every party will respond. 

 

I haven't seen the presentation but what I did read about FB Home, it seems like something really neat for FB lovers. Of course, I had closed my FB account a while ago and am hoping that Apple will allow me to turn it off system-wide on iOS, but I can see the potential that FB Home has.

post #51 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Yup, you got it. This could really piss Google off 1smile.gif and for that I am happy.

Why, there are many custom home screen apps, this is just one of the hundreds available.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #52 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The day Apple puts facebook in the home page (or even slight hint of it) is going to be last day I upgrade iOS or buy a new iPhone/iPad.


It won't happen
post #53 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I haven't seen the presentation but what I did read about FB Home, it seems like something really neat for FB lovers. Of course, I had closed my FB account a while ago and am hoping that Apple will allow me to turn it off system-wide on iOS, but I can see the potential that FB Home has.

Jailbreak, there's a tweak to do that
post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Go back and listen to the whole event again. From the Verge:

"At the event, he fielded a question: "We may see ads in cover feed?" Zuckerberg: "Yup!" This is targeted, full-screen, push advertising in your pocket when Google is still selling 
banner ads inside free apps
."

You are stretching his words. Now, he may well have implied what you are saying. But you make it sound like he said exactly that. This is how rumors start and divert from reality. Thanks for demonstrating.

And, BTW, only a moron would have thought Home would be ad-free, or would criticize it for not being so. That would be like criticizing a tiger for having stripes.
post #55 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The day Apple puts facebook in the home page (or even slight hint of it) is going to be last day I upgrade iOS or buy a new iPhone/iPad.

Read your own words carefully - you're effectively saying you will upgrade to iOS with a Facebook home page. ;-)
post #56 of 68


Facebook Home may not come to iOS. But the hardware is already part of the Apple family. HTC First should be called HTC Second.
post #57 of 68

I'm glad this isn't coming to iOS. The performance of Android as an OS is abysmal. I suppose there are people out there that want an OS, then want a bunch of carrier crapware, plus phone manufacturer crapware along with a custom skin that they can then attempt to remove or have interact with Facebook Home, but that person isn't me.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #58 of 68
Removed.
Edited by ankleskater - 4/5/13 at 6:29am
post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

You are stretching his words. Now, he may well have implied what you are saying. But you make it sound like he said exactly that. This is how rumors start and divert from reality. Thanks for demonstrating.

And, BTW, only a moron would have thought Home would be ad-free, or would criticize it for not being so. That would be like criticizing a tiger for having stripes.

Wait. Didn't you try to deny Facebook placing ads in the lock screen before I have posted the link.

By the way, I am not stretching his words. He was asked a clear questions and he gave clear answer.

Anyway, enjoy your your phone with its ads.. hey.. it's a unique experience and above all... open. Who cares about everything else¡
Edited by NasserAE - 4/5/13 at 6:58am
post #60 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Wait. Didn't you try to deny Facebook placing ads in the lock screen before I have posted the link.

By the way, I am not stretching his words. He was asked a clear questions and he gave clear answer.

Anyway, enjoy your your phone with its ads.. hey.. it's a unique experience and above all... open. Who cares about everything else¡

I didn't deny any such thing. Therefore, I didn't try to deny it either.

I just didn't hear Mark Z. say what you claimed he said - "According to Zuckerberg, it is intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete."

He never said Home was "intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete". And show me where I denied that Facebook was placing ads. Show me!
post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm glad this isn't coming to iOS. The performance of Android as an OS is abysmal. I suppose there are people out there that want an OS, then want a bunch of carrier crapware, plus phone manufacturer crapware along with a custom skin that they can then attempt to remove or have interact with Facebook Home, but that person isn't me.

I actually quite like my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but that's probably because it runs "pure" Android without OEM bloatware or GUI layers added and gets regular OS updates straight from Google.

That said, my next smartphone will likely be an iPhone (unless BlackBerry can make some significant strides and attract some big league apps to their platform).

I have misgivings about me and my information being treated like a commodity to sell to the highest bidder, and that is what Google and Facebook are all about.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #62 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


I didn't deny any such thing. Therefore, I didn't try to deny it either.

I just didn't hear Mark Z. say what you claimed he said - "According to Zuckerberg, it is intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete."

He never said Home was "intended to go around Google services in areas where they compete". And show me where I denied that Facebook was placing ads. Show me!

 

Jeez man.. Go read the damn article. That part is the first sentence in the second paragraph.

 

"Meanwhile, Zuckerberg confirmed that Facebook Home is essentially an end-run around Google's services wherever they compete directly with Facebook's, with the ultimate goal of capturing more dollars."

post #63 of 68
Well, this is proof that Zuckerberg has learned nothing about the realities of Android "openness". Then again, Facebook has always been about fantasy.
post #64 of 68
Like many of you, I am not a FB fan, or member, etc for privacy concers, and its just not "my thing". I'm not their target audience.

Still, this to me is a brilliant business move on their part -- many reasons have already been discussed.

As for ads on the home screen (and I am no fan of ads wherever they pop up), this to me does not seem to require that ads will the same annoying banners and animated 'click-thru' type ads.

Because the home screen is basically a slide show, they could easily insert an ad every 10 pictures. It could be a beautiful, full screen photo (or transparently layered over FB pix) with a subtle message or logo. See it enough times and it piques your curiosity.

Plus, with all the data they're collecting on you = very targeted advertising. And pretty soon the ads no longer seem like ads. They're things you (and your friends) are interested in, similar "Instagram" style photo backdrop, etc. So there is a way it could be done much more seamlessly and unibtrusively.

Anecdotally -
With my feelings regarding privacy, advertising, etc, it was surprising to me to hear my mother in law at Easter proclaim her love of how google "knows so much about me" that she saw an ad for a sofa store (she had been looking at sofas online) that she's never heard of --- and they had sofas more her style & she ended up buying one from them. So, crazy as it may seem, a lot of people find real value in it...
post #65 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Jeez man.. Go read the damn article. That part is the first sentence in the second paragraph.

"Meanwhile, Zuckerberg confirmed that Facebook Home is essentially an end-run around Google's services wherever they compete directly with Facebook's, with the ultimate goal of capturing more dollars."

That is an interpretation, and not what he said, which was my point. In your own words, "Go back and listen ..." Why would you ask someone to listen if you are referring to what has been paraphrased. You misconstrued his words, my words. You are ... a liar?
post #66 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


That is an interpretation, and not what he said, which was my point. In your own words, "Go back and listen ..." Why would you ask someone to listen if you are referring to what has been paraphrased. You misconstrued his words, my words. You are ... a liar?

 

Seriously man, you need to learn English and improve your comprehension.

post #67 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm forced to see it. It's forced. Of course it's forcibly installed. It's part of the OS by default. I don't want it; it's there; I can't turn it off. That's the definition of forced.
Yes TS it is in IOS and you can not ever fully remove it but in these things you can rid it:Calender, Contacts, Game Center, remove the app it's self, and notifications(no alerts and notification center. I believe however they should have put Facebook before Twitter when they came out.
post #68 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMO View Post

.

As for ads on the home screen (and I am no fan of ads wherever they pop up), this to me does not seem to require that ads will the same annoying banners and animated 'click-thru' type ads.

Because the home screen is basically a slide show, they could easily insert an ad every 10 pictures. It could be a beautiful, full screen photo (or transparently layered over FB pix) with a subtle message or logo. See it enough times and it piques your curiosity.

Plus, with all the data they're collecting on you = very targeted advertising. And pretty soon the ads no longer seem like ads. They're things you (and your friends) are interested in, similar "Instagram" style photo backdrop, etc. So there is a way it could be done much more seamlessly and unibtrusively.

Rubbish, it will be a gaudy feed inviting you to play the latest Zynga game or "Like" some crappy company for a chance to win something, just like the feeds of most people, which is so far removed from the fantasies depicted in their promotional clip it's laughable.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Zuckerberg unclear on iOS Facebook Home, says Android's openness allows unique experiences