or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › HBO Go app update brings AirPlay multitasking, interactive features for 'Game of Thrones'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HBO Go app update brings AirPlay multitasking, interactive features for 'Game of Thrones'

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
With the release of HBO Go version 2.1 on Monday, subscribers of the premium cable service now have the ability to stream content to TVs over AirPlay as a background task, leaving their iPad, iPhone or iPod touch free to run other apps.

HBO Go


Along with the ability to background streaming, HBO Go version 2.1 also includes new interactive features for the company's massively popular series "Game of Thrones." Fans can now watch episodes of the show while accessing the special content on their iPad or iPhone in a second-screen type of experience.

From the release notes:
  • Includes AirPlay multitasking capability -- other apps can be used while video continues to stream via AirPlay.
  • Enhancements to the interactive features experience for Game of Thrones.
  • General performance enhancements.

HBO first introduced AirPlay streaming to its HBO Go app, as well as Cinemax's MAX Go title, in February, granting users access to shows, movies, comedy specials, sports, documentaries and special content.

HBO Go is available now through the iOS App Store as a free download, though a subscription to the cable service is required.
post #2 of 18
Remove the cable subscription requirement. Offer Internet subscription please.
post #3 of 18

Unless it's something new or it's been changed, the interactive features for Game of Thrones has been there for a long time. That's been working on my iPad for ages now.

post #4 of 18
I'm not in the States and so can't get HBO, but the background Airplay streaming looks awesome. Hopefully my local stations will enable it too.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
post #5 of 18
Too bad TMN Go (canadian version of HBO go) would not let us airplay anything, even in iPad mirror mode.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Unless it's something new or it's been changed, the interactive features for Game of Thrones has been there for a long time. That's been working on my iPad for ages now.

It does say "enhancements to the interactive features"
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


It does say "enhancements to the interactive features"

 

You're right. I just updated the HBO Go app and I noticed that in the description.

 

I still have to catch up on the last episode of GOT, so I guess I'll find out later how much it's been enhanced.

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

I still have to catch up on the last episode of GOT, so I guess I'll find out later how much it's been enhanced.

Just watched it last night- awesome. This makes it easier because now I can text my brother throughout.  Really not a huge deal not being on Apple TV as an individual app anymore with allowing multi-tasking (although being an actual ATV app would make it slightly better).

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #9 of 18

They must of known I was coming! Just switched back to DirecTV, the installer is coming Friday! I will be very busy with this app in my 3 months free. 

 

Game of Thrones

Deadwood

Oz

The Wire

 

Anything else? Got the Sopranos done before.

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

They must of known I was coming! Just switched back to DirecTV, the installer is coming Friday! I will be very busy with this app in my 3 months free. 

Game of Thrones
Deadwood
Oz
The Wire

Anything else? Got the Sopranos done before.




Band Of Brothers.
John Adams
Generation Kill.

You can watch any of those series in a weekend.


I m not sure that you'll have access to hbogo w/o actually paying for it. They had a free Cinemax preview and my directv account didn't enable me to use the MaXGo app.
post #11 of 18
I don't have an HBO subscription, even though it is available here in The Netherlands, so for me it's pointless to download their free app. But reading the reviews it supposedly crashes a lot and doesn't support AirPlay. 3.0.4 from March, 30th.

It all works, in the US?
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #12 of 18
Do I understand correctly that the app only keeps running in background if on AirPlay mode?
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Do I understand correctly that the app only keeps running in background if on AirPlay mode?

That would seem logical to me, otherwise what's the point of having a video being played in the background while you are dealing with email or something? Background sound perhaps?
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

They must of known I was coming! Just switched back to DirecTV, the installer is coming Friday! I will be very busy with this app in my 3 months free. 

Game of Thrones
Deadwood
Oz
The Wire

Anything else? Got the Sopranos done before.

That sounds perfect. I think you get show time too- so homeland is a must.
You can skip deadwood and oz- I'd only give those a few episodes to see if you like them. My brother likes boardwalk empire but I checked out about 5 episodes or so. After watching the wire... It's hard to watch other shows because it was just that good...

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


That would seem logical to me, otherwise what's the point of having a video being played in the background while you are dealing with email or something? Background sound perhaps?

You might want to quickly check an email during opening credits, or at any time without pausing.

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

Band Of Brothers.
John Adams
Generation Kill.

You can watch any of those series in a weekend.


I m not sure that you'll have access to hbogo w/o actually paying for it. They had a free Cinemax preview and my directv account didn't enable me to use the MaXGo app.

That is what I am wondering. Hopefully it is different than the trial weekends. It will be on my bill with a credit from DirecTV, and I have to call in 3 months to cancel, so I'm hopeful. I'll try this weekend (maybe knock out Band of Brothers) and report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That sounds perfect. I think you get show time too- so homeland is a must.
You can skip deadwood and oz- I'd only give those a few episodes to see if you like them. My brother likes boardwalk empire but I checked out about 5 episodes or so. After watching the wire... It's hard to watch other shows because it was just that good...

That is what I've heard about the wire. May have to save that for last.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That would seem logical to me, otherwise what's the point of having a video being played in the background while you are dealing with email or something? Background sound perhaps?
You might want to quickly check an email during opening credits, or at any time without pausing.

Ah, ok, well, I do that on my iPhone if my iPad is playing a video. But ok, I get your point.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #18 of 18
"Remove the cable subscription requirement. Offer Internet subscription please."

Agreed! Can't get cable where I'm at! HBO/HBO Go needs to be subscription on iTunes/AppleTV for those of us who can't get cable!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › HBO Go app update brings AirPlay multitasking, interactive features for 'Game of Thrones'