or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Ron Johnson could return to run Apple Retail

Ron Johnson could return to run Apple Retail - Page 3

post #81 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Apple's retail strategy was successful because of Steve's vision, and the fact that Apple had some of the most desirable products which made people want to go to an Apple store to check them out and then buy them.  Ron was just at the right place at the right time and got some of the credit for Apple's retail success.

Ron's JC Penney concept made no sense from the beginning. There was nothing to draw people to a JC Penney store.

Bringing Ron back to Apple would be a big mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My wife said this right from the get-go, when the guy was appointed. (She has a much better handle on the whole dept store shopping space across-the-board than I do -- without which, of course, our whole family would be in tatters).

Given what I had seen him do -- whether by accident or design -- at Apple, I originally thought she was wrong. But her insight was proven totally right!

As you said, the product sold itself at Apple stores. Most of what it needed was a radically different and inviting retail space. The new JCP had the latter (without the requisite human capital), but not the former.

It's easy to judge he was the wrong person for the wrong job. But there's no conclusive evidence at all.

Not everyone agrees RJ was a complete bust. Not everything he did was wrong. 

There are those who argue that he was ousted just as things were turning around:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lydiadishman/2013/04/09/jcpenneys-ron-johnson-exits-taking-a-vision-of-the-future-of-retail-with-him/

There are those who argue that he did some good and some bad things:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/pascalemmanuelgobry/2013/04/09/5-things-ron-johnson-did-right-at-jc-penney/

There are those who posit he was the right man for the wrong job at the wrong time:

http://fashionista.com/2013/04/ron-johnson-out-at-jc-penney-why-he-should-have-never-been-in-in-the-first-place/

No one can accurately argue whether time would have proven him right. His resume at JC Penney looks bad. But clearly there were signs that things were looking up. Are two years sufficient to assess his strategy? The problem is that he was so sure of himself that he didn't negotiate a golden parachute, making it easy for the board to kick him to the curb.

Furthermore, it's too easy to say that what worked for him at Apple wouldn't work elsewhere. He didn't start his career at Apple. He didn't become an overnight sensation under Jobs. Johnson's resume suggests he was well qualified to tackle the JC Penney job, perhaps even before he worked at Apple.

Was he given too credit for success of Apple Stores? Was Joe Torre given too credit the Yankees' four World Series. Who can ever know? Reality is that you must give a man his due credit when a team succeeds under his stewardship. No ifs, buts and in spite of's.

We can only know this much - he tried to engineer change and failed. But the failure may not be the failure of his strategy. It could well be the failure of the board to be more patient. This could have been a massive turnaround on a scale second only to that of Apple. We will never know because he was not afforded the free hand that Jobs had. I am being hyperbolic but, hopefully, some might appreciate the moral - To turn a ship around, you can't always just pick it up and flip it around. Most often, you actually have to rotate through the 180°, one degree at a time.

post #82 of 92
One thing I noticed was that under Browitt, the huge SF store took out the nice theater section and replaced it with a tables for learning areas. Two smaller video screens replaced the theater sized screen. I also noticed the sloppy paint job on the wall surrounding the screens. I was pretty shocked that this passed muster for an Apple store. After Browitt exited, I revisited this area and found it was fixed.
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

But CNBC's assertion that 'anybody could sell Apple products as they basically sell themselves' certainly flies in the eye of what all those same experts said when the Apple Stores were launched doesn't it?

They've no clue what they are talking about.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #84 of 92
Jobs wasn't "successful" with Pixar. He funded Pixar. Ed Catmull was the man behind Pixar, as was John Lasseter.

That is not entirely precise. Jobs not only funded Pixar, he was instrumental to the deals with Disney and other nuisances so that Pixar could become what it is today.

Read Isaacson's Bio and the the movie Pixar, the documentary.
post #85 of 92

It is in trouble. Long term dedicated employees are running to the door because they feel demeaned and just another body to step over on the way to another dollar.

post #86 of 92

All Tim Cook sees is process. He's a numbers guy and that's who is running retail now. The Apple Experience is gone.

post #87 of 92

Morale IS that low.

post #88 of 92
l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwthatham View Post

It is in trouble. Long term dedicated employees are running to the door because they feel demeaned and just another body to step over on the way to another dollar.

Really, is that why Mansfield un-retired? Go away.
post #89 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Jobs wasn't "successful" with Pixar.  He funded Pixar.  Ed Catmull was the man behind Pixar, as was John Lasseter.

Regardless of the nature of Steve's involvement at Pixar, I would not define his tenure there as failure. He envisioned the potential of Catmull/Lasseter at Pixar, motivated them, and was a leading advocate of creativity.

post #90 of 92
Long term dedicated employees are running to the door because they feel demeaned and just another body to step over on the way to another dollar.

Yeah, you said that already. You never clarified your pronouns, though.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #91 of 92
Quote:

Morale IS that low.

No it's NOT.

post #92 of 92

One of two things will happen. Google, Microsoft or Samsung will hire him for their own stores or Apple will bring him back just so those 3 can't have him.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Ron Johnson could return to run Apple Retail