or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to begin production of 5th-gen iPad in July-August

Rumor: Apple to begin production of 5th-gen iPad in July-August

post #1 of 28
Contrary to claims that a new full-size iPad will be introduced this month, a new report claims that Apple will instead begin production of its fifth-generation tablet later this summer.

The claim was published on Tuesday by DigiTimes, a Taiwanese tech industry news site with a questionable track record with respect to Apple rumors. The report cited the site's usual sources at Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

iPad

In line with previous rumors, Tuesday's report claimed the new iPad will be lighter and thinner than the fourth-generation model with a slim bezel design similar to that of the iPad mini. The display for the new iPad will reportedly be produced by LG Display and Sharp, while touch panels will come from TPK.

The new iPad had been pegged for an "April-ish" release by Rene Ritchie of iMore. Again last week, he indicated he has heard from "several sources" that an April iPad event was planned by Apple, "if it's ready."

Speculation on Apple's next iPad has been varied, with other, earlier reports claiming the device could launch as late as October of this year. Apple surprised last year with two iPad launches, introducing the third-generation model with Retina display last March, only to unveil a fourth-generation model with a faster A6X CPU, Lightning connector and FaceTime HD camera in October.

This year, the company surprised again by launching a new, higher-capacity 128-gigabyte model in early February. It costs $799 for the Wi-Fi-only model, while a variant with cellular connectivity runs $929.

Following the launch of the iPad mini late last year, Apple's smaller 7.9-inch model has reportedly been cannibalizing sales of the larger 9.7-inch model. Some reports have indicated that the iPad mini is already outselling the full-size iPad.
post #2 of 28
Perhaps we'll see both new iPads and the Mac Pro at a May event? Or will they keep the Mac Pro for WWDC in June?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 28
DigiTimes. Just as stunning. Now run by people with a single-digit IQ.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Perhaps we'll see both new iPads and the Mac Pro at a May event? Or will they keep the Mac Pro for WWDC in June?

I don't think a new Mac Pro 'needs' an event. It might just simply pop up on their website.

Posted earlier in the year:
Will they create a new tagline, or simply reuse an old one?

The Power Macintosh G3: Performance, capabilities, and style that will dazzle you every day you use it.
Move over, speed of light. Introducing the Power Mac G4.
Two brains are better than one.
Power Mac G4 Cube. So much technology. So little space.
Power to burn.
Pro create. Introducing the new Power Mac G4.
Introducing the new Power Mac G4. All with dual processors.
The new Power Mac G4. Faster, more expandable, and more affordable than ever.
The Power Mac G5. The world's fastest personal computer.
The new Power Mac G5. Engineered for the creative class.
The 64-bit professional dream machine.
Power Mac G5. The power of four.
Room to grow. Introducing Mac Pro.
Professional velocity.
The new Mac Pro. Tower of 8-core power.
The new Mac Pro. Beauty outside. Beast inside.
Mac. To the power of 12.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't think a new Mac Pro 'needs' an event. It might just simply pop up on their website.

Perhaps you're right, but if it's very different I see them showing it off at an event. It has looked exactly this way for 7 years. If they change it radically it'd be like Apple not showing off the first Mac mini at an event. It'll likely be radically different with several cool and show-off-able features. I see them really capitalising on that.
Edited by Ireland - 4/9/13 at 5:35am
post #6 of 28
Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps you're right, but if it's very different I see them showing it off at an event. It's look exactly this way for 7 years. If they change it radically it'd be like Apple not showing off the first Mac mini at an event. It'll likely be radically different with several cool and show-off-able features. I see them really capitalising on that.

It depends on how "new" it is. Regardless, it won't be a Mac Pro only event even if it happens.
post #7 of 28
I hope this presages a significant update, and availability in sufficient numbers. Otherwise, why this delay?
post #8 of 28
@philboogie: DigiTimes gets hits, and people like AppleInsider report on them... seems like they have enough IQ. It's not about bing useful, but about making Internet-monies...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I hope this presages a significant update, and availability in sufficient numbers. Otherwise, why this delay?

There are many reason why they shouldn't release new iPads too often.
post #10 of 28

Why, oh why AI publishes this shit?

"Rumor claims a new iDevice coming soon", (and when 'soon' getting closer): "Trusted source contradicts a previous claim, postpones the rumored launch date", and "Anonyous trusted source hints at a cheaper version of an iDevice", etc.

What's the value of baseless claims and who gains from distributing this stuff?

Gone are the years of quality AI articles, one less RSS feed to follow.

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Tuesday's report claimed the new iPad will be lighter and thinner than the fourth-generation model...

Well that's just genius...

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

@philboogie: DigiTimes gets hits, and people like AppleInsider report on them... seems like they have enough IQ. It's not about bing useful, but about making Internet-monies...

Tru Dat! (sorry, couldn't resist, and back to my new iPad game for now)
post #13 of 28

One rock solid prediction that we can all take to the bank, every single time?

The day the fifth generation iPad is released the Apple discussion forums will be flooded with outraged users who bought the fourth generation iPad the day or week before, apoplectic that Apple didn't send them a personal email advising them to hold off. 1tongue.gif

post #14 of 28
Souces indicate to me a new iModem will be introduced in May unless it's not ready.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

One rock solid prediction that we can all take to the bank, every single time?

The day the fifth generation iPad is released the Apple discussion forums will be flooded with outraged users who bought the fourth generation iPad the day or week before, apoplectic that Apple didn't send them a personal email advising them to hold off. 1tongue.gif

That would be stupid, because they have a 14 day return policy:
http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund#policy

But I get what you're saying, and expect this to happen as well.
post #16 of 28

In that situation it would be a worthless update, and Apple would have sealed its fate and the fate of their continued existence in the workstation realm.

Will they create a new tagline, or simply reuse an old one?

So much technology. So little space.

I'd think they wouldn't reuse anything, but I'm also feeling that this would be the closest to what they do use…

It has looked exactly this way for 7 years.

I'd call that being too considerate, but that's me. lol.gif

post #17 of 28
No mention of it being faster in the 'rumour', maybe it will be slower, that would certainly call for a special event. I tingle with anticipation.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In that situation it would be a worthless update, and Apple would have sealed its fate and the fate of their continued existence in the workstation realm.

I don't think any update will be less of an update if marketed less, or wrong. The update will stand on its own, as it should. But that's just my opinion.
Quote:
I'd think they wouldn't reuse anything, but I'm also feeling that this would be the closest to what they do use…
Quote:

It has looked exactly this way for 7 years.

I'd call that being too considerate, but that's me. lol.gif

But the inside has been updated, at almost every iteration. And I like it that the outside has looked the same all these years. Shows it's a winner...or something.
post #19 of 28
Quote:

This must be the longest lull between Apple product announcements in quite some time. Hopefully, if it is a strategic decision, the wait is worth it.

But perhaps this is due to lesson learned from the iMac launch - keep quiet until production is truly ready.

post #20 of 28
I don't think any update will be less of an update if marketed less, or wrong. The update will stand on its own, as it should. But that's just my opinion.

I suppose it does depend on the magnitude of the update, but if it's not worth talking about, it's probably not worth buying.

But the inside has been updated, at almost every iteration. And I like it that the outside has looked the same all these years. Shows it's a winner...or something.

Exactly. It's a great case design, as evidenced by the fact that they've used it for two months shy of an entire decade now.

Think about it. A decade! In computing! Has any other case lasted that long? Maybe that one black and grey Dell case we always saw, but that was the worst case of all time. This is the best! It'll be interesting to see where Apple could possibly take it from here.

And what semi-disparaging name we come up with for it (remember "cheese grater"?).

post #21 of 28
Quote:

I hope you are talking about the Mac Pro and not the iPad.

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I hope you are talking about the Mac Pro and not the iPad.

I'd say he refers to a delay in releasing the new iPad design.

The DigiTimes story hints that the screen will be getting the G/F2 touchscreen technology, which was a large part of the weight and thickness savings in the iPad mini, and also the reason for the supply constraints early in the rollout.

If the new iPad is getting the new touchscreen type, which saves a glass layer, it could be the main reason the new iPad will be lighter, thinner and able to have a narrower bezel on two sides.

Getting the production ramped up better this time might be reason for the months-late release of a new Pad.

Months late? Don't they usuallty announce a new iPad in March?
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a great case design, as evidenced by the fact that they've used it for two months shy of an entire decade now.

And I like it; I have my old models all lined up behind my current one. Really look forward to the same case design, so I can show people that Apple innovates...the inside.
Quote:
And what semi-disparaging name we come up with for it (remember "cheese grater"?).

Reminds me of a Dutch commercial, where they said that the taste of the cheese is 'full'. "Full? What about all those holes in the cheese?" -"Ah, the taste is around those holes". Yep, a cheesy commercial it was.
post #24 of 28
I hope this is wrong. I really want to replace my iPad mini with a regular iPad that has shed some weight and bezel sooner rather than later.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I hope this is wrong. I really want to replace my iPad mini with a regular iPad that has shed some weight and bezel sooner rather than later.

Good point. Probably it'll be best to hold off to check out a slimmer/lighter iPad later in the year. If they achieve the same release cycles going forward the choices will be easier to make.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Good point. Probably it'll be best to hold off to check out a slimmer/lighter iPad later in the year. If they achieve the same release cycles going forward the choices will be easier to make.

I'd be more interested in an iPad Mini with RD, and believe that the utility of RD is under-estimated. But I think logic suggests a slimmed-down iPad is more likely to come first.

post #27 of 28
Quote:

Or something.

post #28 of 28
Or production starts now or has started... They have no supply issues and will when it is released.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to begin production of 5th-gen iPad in July-August