or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next-gen iPhone will launch with 'at least two screen sizes'

Rumor: Apple's next-gen iPhone will launch with 'at least two screen sizes' - Page 3

post #81 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

since when what someone (no matter how stupid he/she is) says is considered a "rumor"?

As far as back as the 17th century or 14th century depending on where draw the line: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=rumor

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #82 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

What do you mean there's no precedence for it?  iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 was an exact doubling of the pixels.  iPad 2 to iPad 3 was an exact doubling of the pixels.  And you're right about the ppi on a 5 inch screen.  I updated my post to use the right number.

Think about it for a second. They did not take a 480x320 3.5" display then double it to a 960x640 5" display. It still stayed at the same size! The whole reason for the doubling was to make the transition invisible to the user so that old apps still look at good as before but idealized apps look much better as 1 pixel now takes up 4 pixels in a block thus keeping everything the same.

post #83 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

There are two sizes right now.

You should get a prize. (I am serious).
post #84 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They start it with the word rumor. That seems sufficient to me.
since when what someone (no matter how stupid he/she is) says is considered a "rumor"?

Because the person has no direct firsthand knowledge of the subject. Rumors are always what someone says....
post #85 of 106
Quote:

Think about it for a second. They did not take a 480x320 3.5" display then double it to a 960x640 5" display. It still stayed at the same size! The whole reason for the doubling was to make the transition invisible to the user so that old apps still look at good as before but idealized apps look much better as 1 pixel now takes up 4 pixels in a block thus keeping everything the same.

You're right that they've never combined a doubling of pixels with an increase in screen size, but that doesn't mean they won't. Plus there has only been one change in screen size in an existing product line (unless you consider the iPad mini a part of the same line of iPads).

I think that there is a snowball's chance in hell for Apple to keep the same resolution when bumping the screen size up by the better part of an inch, so based on their history I'd say there's a good chance that they double the number of pixels if they release a bigger iPhone.
post #86 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You're right that they've never combined a doubling of pixels with an increase in screen size, but that doesn't mean they won't.

Sure, but you asked about my use of the term precedence.
Quote:
I think that there is a snowball's chance in hell for Apple to keep the same resolution when bumping the screen size up by the better part of an inch, so based on their history I'd say there's a good chance that they double the number of pixels if they release a bigger iPhone.

I can see many logical paths. It all depends on factors we can't possibly know. I hope they don't do a 264 PPI 4.9404" iPhone and instead use the 326 PPI panels at some new resolution, but desire is a poor way to predict a future I have no control over.

post #87 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

iPhone Plus? Hmm. Plus size makes me think of fat woman's clothing (sorry ladies). Didn't Apple, once before, designed the iPod that made it look fat? Don't think that way of design worked out too well as Apple went back to its slender ways.

I would think iPhone for the new 5 inch (if rumors are true) and iPhone Mini for the 4 inch... AND DROP THE 4, 4S, 5, 5S, stuff!

People always said that about the 2007 iPod Nano. But in truth it really wasn't fat, it was just short.

post #88 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Just because the phones are getting older from a design perspective, doesn't mean they are continually getting cheaper. At some point they may even become more expensive as the components become completely outdated. 

OTOH, the assembly lines, test jigs, and skillset training are totally paid for, and the profit actually increases.  it balances out.

The 4s form factor can be effectively internally upgraded with components 'upstream' (a new processor, new memory etc), may temporarly increase the cost of a component supplier or subcomponent on the apple assembly line, but the footprint costs of final assembly and testing remain at zero, with only the component cost and the labor costs (again lower per quality checked assembled unit).

The key thing is factory footprint costs, and any quality bumps.... in theory the first working iPhone costs 4Billion or so to make, and sells for 625, the next 400million phones cost 180/unit, and sell for 625.   Somewhere near 10Million mark, the 'manufacturing CapEx' is recovered, and it's pretty much pure profit after that.

building out a new size, new materials, new anything that requires a reprogramming of the automated assembly requires a new assembly line to be built (Apple doesn't retool until it retires)...

It makes little sense to retire both the 4 and the 4s.   for a new high nd (5s), and new low end (??).

post #89 of 106
The problem is that if Apple were to create a larger phone competitors would simply make a larger phone. There are already rumors of a 6.3" Samsung phone.

Samsung wants a race to see how much garbage they can throw in the street to attract flies. Apple can't beat Samsung by playing the Samsung game.

I would consider a 4.5" iPhone but I really have difficulty imagining myself wanting a phone larger than that especially when I can simply AirPlay content to my AppleTV.
post #90 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I would consider a 4.5" iPhone but I really have difficulty imagining myself wanting a phone larger than that especially when I can simply AirPlay content to my AppleTV.

You have an Apple TV on the subway?! Awesome! I don't, nor do I have that option at work.

post #91 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

You said it yourself, the tech wasn't there last year, hence the Mini got a low-res display. However, there would be no excuse for releasing a flagship smartphone with less than 300 PPI in 2013 (ideally it'd have 400+ to catch up to the competition).

To be fair to Apple (and I've been bitching a lot about them lately mostly over their restricting of options both on Macs [pooh-poohing touch screens for when they're handy] and mobiles [small screens, e.g. and file/app sandboxing]), Samsung's "441 ppi" is for a pentile screen that plays pixel tricks and may not be truly be "higher res" in terms of the viewing experience it offers compared to Apple's pure 326 ppi.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #92 of 106

I am guessing even the cheaper iPhone with the all the cost savings will still cost $499, that is with the same margin while being $200 cheaper then the $699 iPhone. Apple will properly go with lower margin with further reduced pricing to Channels or Mobile Networks. I.e Your iPhone will turns out cheaper if you buy them from a Mobile Network with a contract.

Which means as a consumer it should cost them ~$399.

However even with last generation A6 SoC, less expensive touch screens and panels, Plastic etc... i still fail to see how Apple could cut $40 off its iPhone BOM cost. Apple would have to work some magic without scraficing their margin too much.

post #93 of 106
Quote:

That's only if you look at it from a technical standpoint. Look at the way Apple has.

Consider the original iPhone. The PPI and resolution was higher than other smartphones. By the 2nd gen others were catching up but Apple most still held a lead. By the 3rd gen they were behind most others in that category.

?

The earlier iphones were HVGA. VGA phones already existed

Edited by hungover - 4/10/13 at 12:47am
post #94 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

would be interesting how apple would market a larger screen seeing as the iPhone 5 is marketed as the perfect size for one hand operation

Previously, 3.5" was the perfect size. I guess some people see perfect as being relative...

post #95 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Previously, 3.5" was the perfect size. I guess some people see perfect as being relative...

By "some people" you mean "Apple?" Because they are the ones that make the claim.

post #96 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

By "some people" you mean "Apple?" Because they are the ones that make the claim.

When did they ever make such a claim in regards to it being the only size that should ever be on phone display?

post #97 of 106
Quote:

When did they ever make such a claim in regards to it being the only size that should ever be on phone display?

What is it with you and absolutes all the time? You seem to frequently take a rather general and/or innocuous statement and dispute it based on a level of specificity not contained in or intended by the words.

No one ever said it's the ONLY size, Apple's marketing referred to it as "the perfect size" for people who apparently have had one arm amputated or something.

post #98 of 106

It's v5v. Ignore it.

Originally Posted by v5v View Post
What is it with you and absolutes all the time?

"He said something."

"Do you have proof?"
"WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE AND PROOF?!"

Why do you think this is a valid argument?

…Apple's marketing referred to it as "the perfect size" for people who apparently have had one arm amputated or something.

And now you're off on a tangent both ludicrous and unrelated. Nice try.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #99 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And now you're off on a tangent both ludicrous and unrelated. Nice try.

Am I wrong? Did Apple NOT refer to the 3.5" screen as "the perfect size" for one-handed operation? I'm sure I remember that sentiment being expressed on Apple's web site, but obviously I can't call it up to check it since the relevant page no longer exists.

If I'm wrong and Apple didn't say that, just call me Emily LItella.

post #100 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"He said something."

"Do you have proof?"
"WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE AND PROOF?!"

Why do you think this is a valid argument?

"Michael Bay movies have more explosions than a convention of epileptic suicide bombers."

"You have not adequately quantified the number of explosions likely to occur at said convention and thus your statement is invalid."

True, but not really the point, y'know? That's all I meant.

post #101 of 106

the "“3.5 inch handset size is the “sweet spot” for mobile phone design; big enough to produce detailed, legible graphics, but small enough to fit comfortably in the hand and pocket.”"-  S Jobs

I guess that the above is suggesting that 3.5" is the optimal size in a tug o' war of trade offs. Who knows? perhaps Apple have discovered that hands and pockets have got bigger recently.

Not sure if Apple/jobs ever used the word "perfect" or not but Apple do seem to be particularly fond of describing characteristics as being perfect which is fine until you later decide to deviate away from that "perfect" characteristic.

post #102 of 106
I guess that the above is suggesting that 3.5" is the optimal size in a tug o' war of trade offs. Who knows? perhaps Apple have discovered that hands and pockets have got bigger recently.

You'll notice they didn't change anything that conflicts with the original message.

post #103 of 106
Quote:

Quote:

You'll notice they didn't change anything that conflicts with the original message.

That's true. Also if they were to make a smaller phone.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #104 of 106
Quote:

You'll also notice that I wasn't wrong.

post #105 of 106
Quote:

Quote:

True.

But by their definition they have a sub-optimal screen size on the current phone

post #106 of 106
True.

But by their definition they have a sub-optimal screen size on the current phone

So you agree with me but then you ignore that and choose not to agree with me?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Apple's next-gen iPhone will launch with 'at least two screen sizes'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next-gen iPhone will launch with 'at least two screen sizes'