or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple's iMessage and FaceTime down for some users [u]

Apple's iMessage and FaceTime down for some users [u]

post #1 of 27
An unknown number of users have been affected by an outage of Apple's iMessage and FaceTime messaging services, with downtime reaching nearly an hour.

iCloud Status

Apple has confirmed the service interruption on its iCloud System Status webpage, noting that some iMessage and FaceTime users are unable to send messages or make video calls. The root of the problem is unknown at this time.

Tuesday's troubles add to a list of sporadic iCloud service outages that have cropped up recently. The issues are usually resolved within one to two hours.

Most recently, Apple's iCloud account authentication system went down immediately after the company rolled out the OS X 10.8.3 maintenance update, causing some users to be left without a number of services.

Update: As of 5:20 p.m. PST, all issues have been resolved. The outage lasted for a little over five hours.
post #2 of 27

I've never had any issues with iMessage or Facetime that I can recall.  They've always been reliable for me(and iMessage is working fine atm).  The only issue I have with iCloud is its propensity to wipe out my contact list.  It would just disappear randomly for seemingly no reason.  Finally had to turn the sync off and do it manually. 

post #3 of 27
I just tried to resolve my iMessage issues by toggling AirPort, then erasing my network settings, then rebooting. So annoying! If the program can't reach the iMessage, FaceTime, or some other iCloud service server it should then try to access a simple URL where it can see if that particular service is functioning properly or not. If it can get to that site that means there is an internet connection. If that app sees that some users can't access said service it could at least inform the user that there could be a problem, even trying periodically and then letting you know when it's available.

Edited by SolipsismX - 4/9/13 at 5:24pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 27
The Messages app on my desktop never sends the first message to other iMessage users. The second message almost always goes through. This is not unique to me; other users are struggling with the same issue. 10.8.3 doesn't resolve the long-standing issue. :-(
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #5 of 27
Mine's down now in NYC.
post #6 of 27

*sighs* Apple just plain sucks at cloud stuff. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #7 of 27
Oh no for one hour my calls could possibly only be sound and text cold possibly to not eat a data plan.

Got that out of the way.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

No. They have the best cloud "stuff" available for consumers. Most don't even know it exists... It's a win.

There's not a single service that is better and remember: iCloud is exploding not only on functionality but also the number of users! millions and millions costumers each week!

If you take into account that 5 years ago Apple "only" sold a few million iPods per quarter and 5 million macs per YEAR, their growth and ability to be the best on every single thing they do is just phenomenal. Best OSes, Best hardware, best pro apps, best desktop browser experience (mac safari), best "mail" client, maps, etc etc etc and best cloud solution.

post #9 of 27

Working fine in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No. They have the best cloud "stuff" available for consumers. Most don't even know it exists... It's a win.

There's not a single service that is better and remember: iCloud is exploding not only on functionality but also the number of users! millions and millions costumers each week!

If you take into account that 5 years ago Apple "only" sold a few million iPods per quarter and 5 million macs per YEAR, their growth and ability to be the best on every single thing they do is just phenomenal. Best OSes, Best hardware, best pro apps, best desktop browser experience (mac safari), best "mail" client, maps, etc etc etc and best cloud solution.

I would disagree strongly with you. Best OSes and hardware? Definitely. Best pro apps and browser? Highly debatable. Best mail client? Hahahahahaha.

I also wish that the iTunes cloud for apps and media was as fast, reliable and automatic as Steam.

post #10 of 27

It's down here in Orlando.

> Keeps giving me the message "342******* is not registered with iMessage."

post #11 of 27
I'm in London too but mine is down, as is my son's and my ex's in New York.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

All of that doesn't mean squat if it goes down every other day. 

post #13 of 27
Hasn't worked in Michigan for 2 hours.
post #14 of 27
Down in Texas and Oklahoma! That is "fucking" annoy!! 1frown.gif

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #15 of 27
You know, most people wouldn't even notice if they didn't read articles such as these. Worst case scenario- your message is sent/received as a text instead, like every other phone. OH NO THE HORROR. The inconvenience to the user is near Zero.

Also, I don't know of any other company that publically posts a history of affected services in such fine grained detail. Apple is pretty damn transparent in this area and it should be applauded.
Edited by Slurpy - 4/9/13 at 4:05pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An unknown number of users have been affected by an outage of Apple's iMessage and FaceTime messaging services, with downtime reaching nearly an hour.

Good. At last we have some bad news for Apple. Maybe THAT will make the stock go up. /s
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #17 of 27
Down in Chicago
post #18 of 27
But then on the plus side, it did mean my lady friend left me alone so I could get on with stuff. Going off the grid every now and then is good.
post #19 of 27
Huh?! I can send and receive to certain contacts but not to others. I guess that means my account is fine, but some of the people I'm sending to aren't fine, or they have some odd segmentation with the service.

post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You know, most people wouldn't even notice if they didn't read articles such as these. Worst case scenario- your message is sent/received as a text instead, like every other phone. OH NO THE HORROR. The inconvenience to the user is near Zero.

Yeah, if that's how it worked, great. But since the iCloud failure means the device just shits itself and doesn't send the message AT ALL, iMessage or SMS, your dismissive attitude comes across as rude.

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Oh no for one hour my calls could possibly only be sound and text cold possibly to not eat a data plan.

Got that out of the way.

Five hours, not an hour.

Glad to hear it won't adversely affect you. It's a bloody royal pain for some of us.

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Yeah, if that's how it worked, great. But since the iCloud failure means the device just shits itself and doesn't send the message AT ALL, iMessage or SMS, your dismissive attitude comes across as rude.

And the iPhone isn't the only device with iMessages. With the iPad and Mac there is no SMS option.

post #23 of 27
My iMessages were down here in NZ. Seems to be back on track now....
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #24 of 27
I get around these outages with Viber or the myriad of other services that are out there. Accomplish the same things.
"...all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
"...all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
post #25 of 27
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

lol, FUD.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

And the iPhone isn't the only device with iMessages. With the iPad and Mac there is no SMS option.

That is what I don't get with iMessage Messages on the desktop; it can't send out the required SMS for FaceTime to work. And if Messages on the desktop can simply use the internet connection for registering, why don't the iPhone and cellular iPad do the same?
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That is what I don't get with iMessage Messages on the desktop; it can't send out the required SMS for FaceTime to work. And if Messages on the desktop can simply use the internet connection for registering, why don't the iPhone and cellular iPad do the same?

The thing is that the way the desktop version is supposed to work doesn't, actually. All the confusion and frustration goes away if you accept the fundamental premise that, so far, Messages just plain doesn't work very well. It's cool, but still a little confused. Hopefully it will follow the lead of Final Cut and Maps and become usable after two years. It'll be worth the wait.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iCloud
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple's iMessage and FaceTime down for some users [u]