or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Next-gen 'iPhone 5S' to be offered in 3 colorways, debut in July

Rumor: Next-gen 'iPhone 5S' to be offered in 3 colorways, debut in July

post #1 of 57
As speculation regarding the next-gen iPhone launch gathers steam, a new rumor out of the Far East claims the supposed handset will be offered in a total of eight different colors.

iPod touch
Colorways of Apple's iPod touch lineup. | Source: Apple

Citing a "trusted source," Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports that when the "iPhone 5S" hits store shelves, it will come in three colorways, adding one color to Apple's usual black and white variants. The source failed to reveal the mystery color.

It should be noted that the Google translation on the blog's webpage incorrectly states "3 colors added to 2 colors of iPhone 5," suggesting there will be five color options for the iPhone 5S. The actual translation is, "One new color will be added to the iPhone 5's existing two color options for a total of three colors."

The report relates to one analyst's expectations from January, when Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets said industry checks led him to believe the next-gen "iPhone 5S" would come in eight colors: pink, yellow, blue, green, purple, silver and slate shades currently found on the iPod nano, and a (Product)Red model with proceeds benefiting AIDS research.

Tuesday's rumor also claims the cheaper iPhone will be getting the color treatment, though failed to offer any details on the matter.

Apple is widely expected to launch an entry-level iteration of the iPhone in a possible bid to compete with cheap Android models. In March, the well-informed analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the less expensive unit fiberglass and plastic in order to shave build material costs. Additionally, Kuo believes the low-cost iPhone version will boast the same design as the iPhone 5, including the handset's 4-inch screen.

Finally, the latest rumor pegs July as a likely timeframe for Apple to debut the next-gen iPhone and corresponding budget model, largely congruent with market watchers' expectations.
post #2 of 57
Should be fun, I like to see choices even when I'm inclined to stick it in a case anyway. lol
post #3 of 57

Is it three or eight?  And what's a "colorway?"

post #4 of 57
I'd be cool with this. Would create some diversity in the iPhone lineup, for those that are "bored" with the look.
post #5 of 57

iPhone is elegant only in Black or White.  They look awesome. They create great aura and gravity around them to attract you.   Other colors - for girls - a big NO.

post #6 of 57

Oh, I'd love to have a "flower power" iPhone!

Chandra69, you are completely missing the point: these new phones are supposed to be lower-cost, consumer-friendly devices.  Not stodgy enterprise machines, nor high-art for the elite.  Make them inexpensive and available for a variety of tastes.  Even for old hippies, or... um... "girls".

post #7 of 57

I like it. Kind of fun.

I would like Apple to put a thin, soft, suede covering on the back and sides of the iPhone. Then we wouldn't need cases at all....

No doubt cases are good protection, but they do add bulk to a beautifully designed phone.

post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

iPhone is elegant only in Black or White.  They look awesome. They create great aura and gravity around them to attract you.   Other colors - for girls - a big NO.

Yeah, cause not like there'a many women buying phones, right? Such an insignificant minority group. 

/s

post #9 of 57
There is no such fcucking thing as a "colorway."

It's offered in three *colours* or "colour schemes."
post #10 of 57
I'd take red in a heartbeat!
oneof52
oneof52
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As speculation regarding the next-gen iPhone launch gathers steam, a new rumor out of the Far East claims the supposed handset will be offered in a total of eight different colors.

Nonsense.

Let's see:
8 colors
2 sizes (maybe 3)
At least 3 different versions for the different networks
3 different storage capacities

So we have at least 144 different versions? I'd be absolutely shocked.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 57
The only 'colorway' I'd be interested in would be white/silver but with a black face. Like the old 3G. Because the current black/slate chips and tarnishes like crazy (all my friends' phones look like crap already) but I don't like staring at a white facia.
post #13 of 57
Quote:

"Because if I don't like it, no one can." 1rolleyes.gif
post #14 of 57
Quote:

They create great aura and gravity around them

Wow - just like a planet!

I guess you mean gravitas

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #15 of 57
The Japanese doesn't say anything about " colorways."

It's "colors." You guys did this before. You have a fetish for terms like this because you're "journalists" and you think it makes you sound like insiders if you use an obscure industry term, even if the term is borrowed from the rag trade or office furniture manufacturing.

It debases the language to use jargon where it makes no sense to do so. And it pisses your readers off. Besides, it's a stupid term. What are "ways"?
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense.

Let's see:
8 colors
2 sizes (maybe 3)

And I'm sure Da Harder will buy 3 or is it 9 of each for every member of his family.

post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Oh, I'd love to have a "flower power" iPhone!

Chandra69, you are completely missing the point: these new phones are supposed to be lower-cost, consumer-friendly devices.  Not stodgy enterprise machines, nor high-art for the elite.  Make them inexpensive and available for a variety of tastes.  Even for old hippies, or... um... "girls".

Kinda like this?

post #18 of 57

Colors are what cases are for.  I hope this rumor is incorrect as that would tell me that Apple is running out of innovative ideas.  I have a black iPhone but you cannot tell because of the Otterbox case I have.

post #19 of 57
Quote:

Nonsense.

Let's see:
8 colors
2 sizes (maybe 3)

Not "at least," it would be "at most." 

One of the new colors will be Zune Brown... Apple's way of saying Naa, naa naa to Microsoft for beating their butt in iDevices.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Is it three or eight?  And what's a "colorway?"

"Colorway" is a term used in the dyeing and printing industries, indicating the color, or pattern variations offered in a line of fabric, wallpaper, etc. I've heard the odd interior designers use it once or twice. I have no idea why AI is using the term here. 15 years in product design and the only place I've ever heard the term used WRT finished products that are offered to consumers is one other time, here at AI (probably the same author and their weird usage via a 1970's glossary of fabric industry terms.)

I suppose they might claim this is just my "opinionway."

post #21 of 57
Quote:

Or just one that covers everything. Given that the Verizon phone just needs the chip switch or whatever for tmobile 3G it doesn't seem to hard to do. Add some software to support flipping between Verizon and Sprint and go with one lineup of skus

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #22 of 57
sorry gazobee... but there is such a term as a 'colorway'... It is simply a color theme and is often used in product design.

I only know 10 people that get the
binary joke

I only know 10 people that get the
binary joke

post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

"Colorway" is a term used in the dyeing and printing industries, indicating the color, or pattern variations offered in a line of fabric, wallpaper, etc. I've heard the odd interior designers use it once or twice. I have no idea why AI is using the term here. 15 years in product design and the only place I've ever heard the term used WRT finished products that are offered to consumers is one other time, here at AI (probably the same author and their weird usage via a 1970's glossary of fabric industry terms.)

I suppose they might claim this is just my "opinionway."

The term is creeping into random product descriptions via hipster bike enthusiasts, who have been talking about their rides "colorways" for a while now.   I'll bet you dollars to donuts that whoever is using this term at AI picked up from there, and thinks it sounds cool.  

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #24 of 57
Colour choice and a larger screen size are critical to Apple suceeding in Asia. Elegant means different things to different people in different parts of the world.
post #25 of 57
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
There is no such fcucking thing as a "colorway."

I can see it being a valid word here due to the possibility that the devices will be two-tone.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #26 of 57
It's about time! The world isn't black and white.

[Forum Signature]  I have no signature.  [Forum Signature]

[Forum Signature]  I have no signature.  [Forum Signature]

post #27 of 57

A larger screen will pretty much ensure that I just keep my iPhone 5.  I already have an iPad.  And with the resolution on the iPhone screen, there's nothing I can't do that a larger screen would allow me to.

As to colors, I can't imagine moving away from black.

Call me stodgy, whatever.  

post #28 of 57
This is not like Apple to co brand, but Tiffany Blue.
post #29 of 57
I want that Product(Red) version. That's why I have a Product(Red) Mophie case ^^'
They look aaawesome!

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Colors are what cases are for.  I hope this rumor is incorrect as that would tell me that Apple is running out of innovative ideas.  I have a black iPhone but you cannot tell because of the Otterbox case I have.

I've seen a lot of iPhones caseless... Mine never was due to antenna issues, though. Oh, wait, on this forum there are no antenna issues. Let's say, due to "perceived" antenna issues then.

post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Colour choice and a larger screen size are critical to Apple suceeding in Asia. Elegant means different things to different people in different parts of the world.

Also, white's the color of death in China. Red is the color of marriage and happiness...

post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

One of the new colors will be Zune Brown... Apple's way of saying Naa, naa naa to Microsoft for beating their butt in iDevices.

Yeah. Because Zune Brown is such a delightful color, reminiscient of poor design choices at said company....

post #33 of 57

Satisfied with my white 4S and if I will switch to 5S even in that case I will prefer to have white.

More color will attract lot of people but truly speaking i don't trust these Chinese rumor posts.

post #34 of 57
Quote:

But last time I checked, there were still plenty of girls walking the earth. Do you really want to shut them out?

That's sad.

post #35 of 57
Quote:

I've always found these sorts of comments idiotic. What's just about the first thing most people do with their iPhone? Slap it in case where you might see bits and pieces of the original phone peeking out. However slick or beautiful it might be, it doesn't really matter since you're basically hiding it anyhow. 

post #36 of 57
I can't see Apple doing this:
  • they would have to guesstimate in production how many of each color to produce;
  • Apple already has production ramp-up problems for new devices, specifically iPhone... just imagine this one when "red" is sold out;
  • unnecessary SKU "bloat";
  • as others have said, "cases do individualism quite well";
  • just read an article where it has been "suggested" that women "possibly" choose their phones based on what cool, fab, designer cases are available for it;
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Or just one that covers everything. Given that the Verizon phone just needs the chip switch or whatever for tmobile 3G it doesn't seem to hard to do. Add some software to support flipping between Verizon and Sprint and go with one lineup of skus

A chip switch means a different SKU.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I'd take red in a heartbeat!

I hope they make a ProductRED™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

But those cases still show the color of your phone
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not necessarily. Look at the iPod Touch. Different color backs, but the face is white on all of them. A case would hide the backs and show only white - no matter what color you buy.
http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #40 of 57
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not necessarily. Look at the iPod Touch. Different color backs, but the face is white on all of them. A case would hide the backs and show only white - no matter what color you buy.
http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

Very perceptive of you. I was only thinking about the iPhone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Next-gen 'iPhone 5S' to be offered in 3 colorways, debut in July