or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Comixology, not Apple, responsible for comic book's censorship [updated]

Comixology, not Apple, responsible for comic book's censorship [updated] - Page 4

post #121 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Just to be clear, the term negroid is an acceptable and non-racial term in anthropology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroid

2) According to Ricky Gervais, Karl Pilkington has a perfectly round head. I wouldn't call Karl any evolutionary holotype.
I wouldn't necessarily classify it as trivia as it's just me drawing comparisons. I'd say it's more of an observation. There are many coincidences in etymology. It may have happened without any conscious thought by Jeff Lindsay.
Excellent point!

You decide.

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #122 of 146
Serious question.

What's the best -- or I should perhaps say, most credible -- estimate of the proportion of population that is gay in a country such as the US?
post #123 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Serious question.

What's the best -- or I should perhaps say, most credible -- estimate of the proportion of population that is gay in a country such as the US?

Here is a now debunked study from the 1940s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_Reports

The William's Institute lists it at around 4%: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

It's hard to say what the ratio really is but the more accepted homosexuality is in a society the less likely one would need to lie about it so I'd assume you'll see a much lower reported percentage as you work backwards in time, or compare to a less accepting society. I would wager, just like with human intelligence, there is one group of people that show any real difference in their biology.

I'm more interested in the Jurassic Park frog theory. Meaning, are there higher instances of homosexuality in populations with higher densities and/or lower nutrition, thus being natures way to help balance out any growth spurts that unbalance the hemostasis.

PS: Interestingly, left-handedness is more common at around 10% and mixed-handedness for those that switch their dominate hand depending on the task is at around 30%.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #124 of 146

They both look like people you could have a beer with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You decide.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #125 of 146
Quote:

Serious question.

Any chance that the world might consider at some point that gay/ungay could also depend on the age of the person, his social position, etc? Why make it sound like it's predetermined by genes or something?

---

Maybe if the mother listens to too much Justin Bieber, the baby can never be gay in his life? /s

post #126 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

That's how propaganda is supposed to work. Clever huh?

Isn't that one of those things like "military intelligence" or "controlled chaos?"

The military employs extremely intelligent people, especially in the intelligence community, mainly to protect your ass. Well "your" ass, as well as others, obviously.

I find it a tiny bit distateful that people make this kind of jokes, given these men do give their life to protect others, like firefighters do.

Just my opinion.

post #127 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Even if a joke, that's especially ironic, considering that Tim Cook is often written up in LBGT magazines as the top gay CEO in the USA.  (Something he has neither confirmed or denied.)

I believe that was his point...

post #128 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdowntown View Post

Please leave Dr. King out your Gay Rights agenda. His struggles at the time was for equality for his race. Last I checked the history of his marches didn't include gay pride. By the way check the spelling of his name next time you speak for him.

THAT, is exactly what makes me want to puke.

So "equality for his race" (which itself is a bad enough misrepresentation) is somehow better than "equality for sexual rights"?

There is one, and only one fight: the fight to prevent minorities (black, white, spanish, gay, women, people with electronic augmentations - that one's coming sooner than later, communists, jews, muslims...) from being trampled on by the local majority, which usually doesn't mean the majority by numbers, but the majority by strength (there were more blacks in the Southern States than there were white people, and white people were the "majority").

Anyone who tries to make a differentiation between fighting for gay rights, fighting for black/jew rights, or any other just cause, is trying to divide people.

"Divide to reign." Makes clear who you're fighting for.

post #129 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Quote:

Serious question.

Any chance that the world might consider at some point that gay/ungay could also depend on the age of the person, his social position, etc? Why make it sound like it's predetermined by genes or something?

---
Maybe if the mother listens to too much Justin Bieber, the baby can never be gay in his life? /s

What does your response have to do with my question!? If you have no helpful facts to offer, please go on to something else.
post #130 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

But if you read the article, they HAVE allowed similar heterosexual scenes.

The "whine" is true. The comic WAS censored. Intentional or not (and given the hate too many people--like you--have, it could well be intentional) it did happen. It seems you'd also like to censor anyone who points out that fact? Interesting.

Hopefully this is just the bigoted decision of one reviewer, or simple mistake (either with this issue or previous ones) and like past Apple approval mistakes, can be corrected. Hopefully in a productive way.

Apple's larger issue (mirroring the US's issues as a whole!) with censoring a little nudity while allowing brutal gory violence, is still messed up. Allow both... with a proper rating so people/parents can control what they're getting. And don't treat apps differently from books/film/music. A comic is art whether it arrives through the iBooks Store or the App Store. Games too.

But if YOU read the article you will see that Apple did not censor this comic. It was done by the publisher. Is it really that hard to pick that up from the text of the article?

post #131 of 146
Quote:

........are there higher instances of homosexuality in populations with higher densities and/or lower nutrition, thus being natures way to help balance out any growth spurts that unbalance the hemostasis.

Interesting hypothesis. If so, India and China should by substantially more gay than, say, the US, Sweden, or Canada. (Even more so, considering their highly skewed male-female ratios.)
post #132 of 146
Quote:

Interesting hypothesis. If so, India and China should by substantially more gay than, say, the US, Sweden, or Canada. (Even more so, considering their highly skewed male-female ratios.)

Is it highly skewed?

According to Wikipedia (I do loathe doing "research" before commenting because one should either know something or not, and not pretend by copying info from elsewhere; however, this is a special situation and so I forgive myself):

Sex ratio (in China)
  • At birth: 1.133 male(s)/female (2011)
  • Under 15 years: 1.17 male(s)/female (2011)
  • 15–64 years: 1.06 male(s)/female (2011)
  • 65 years and over: 0.93 male(s)/female (2011)
  • Total population: 1.06 male(s)/female (2011)

So, clearly, the "skew" is at birth but the ratio becomes Europe-like in the "mating" age bracket.

post #133 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

The military employs extremely intelligent people, especially in the intelligence community, mainly to protect your ass. Well "your" ass, as well as others, obviously.

I find it a tiny bit distateful that people make this kind of jokes, given these men do give their life to protect others, like firefighters do.

Just my opinion.

Chill dude. It was a joke. I didn't mean to interfere with your military idolatry.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #134 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Just my opinion.

Chill dude. It was a joke. I didn't mean to interfere with your military idolatry.

His point is that those who mock the term military intelligence are really mocking themselves. IOW, the joke is on you.

post #135 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Even if a joke, that's especially ironic, considering that Tim Cook is often written up in LBGT magazines as the top gay CEO in the USA.  (Something he has neither confirmed or denied.)

Often? How often is Cook written up in LBGT magazines?

He is the top CEO in the USA, period. IMO.

post #136 of 146
Quote:

Serious question.

Serious answer (or perhaps serious non-answer): 

You need to ask a broader question, or define yours more specifically. If you want to get into statistics, you need to define what you mean by "gay". Hopefully, you'll appreciate I am not being flippant.

post #137 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

His point is that those who mock the term military intelligence are really mocking themselves. IOW, the joke is on you.

That may have been the point he was trying to make, but it is not a valid one. It was a joke. Evidently you need to chill too. Sorry I've hit such a sensitive spot in someone's (possibly yours also) military idolatry.

post #138 of 146
Quote:

That's the rub. The countries with much higher population densities and lower nutrition are currently less accepting of such behaviour so there is no way to make such a comparison.

post #139 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Hijack? Pls explain.

Gays are not a minority group deserving of equal rights too?
No! They're humans with an appetite for grand-standing. Thus, the term Gay Pride should be inserted into your description for equal rights.
post #140 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdowntown View Post

They're humans with an appetite for grand-standing.

At least you're upfront about being an ignorant bigot.

post #141 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Often? How often is Cook written up in LBGT magazines?

He is the top CEO in the USA, period. IMO.

Pretty often.  Google "tim cook lbgt".  Heck, the headlines this week were:

Apple CEO Tim Cook tops Out Magazine’s Power List for third year, despite not being ‘out’

"Mr Cook has continually been named the magazine’s list of the most influential LGBT people in the United States, despite never speaking about his sexuality. When he was appointed as Apple’s CEO,  Tim Cook was dubbed the ‘most powerful gay in Silicon Valley"

post #142 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Pretty often.  Google "tim cook lbgt".  Heck, the headlines this week were:

Apple CEO Tim Cook tops Out Magazine’s Power List for third year, despite not being ‘out’

"Mr Cook has continually been named the magazine’s list of the most influential LGBT people in the United States, despite never speaking about his sexuality. When he was appointed as Apple’s CEO,  Tim Cook was dubbed the ‘most powerful gay in Silicon Valley"

Interesting. He does have a son, who also holds a senior position at Apple:

This shows that being raised by gay parents is no disadvantage at all.

post #143 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Interesting. He does have a son, who also holds a senior position at Apple:

This shows that being raised by gay parents is no disadvantage at all.

Huh? Why would being raised by gay parents have anything to do with his having a job at Apple?
post #144 of 146
Quote:

Huh? Why would being raised by gay parents have anything to do with his having a job at Apple?

He didn't say that has anything to do with getting a job at Apple. He stated that having gay parents doesn't mean you will not be able to succeed in life, with the high-profile job at Apple as an example of one such success.

post #145 of 146
Quote:

Quote:

He didn't say that has anything to do with getting a job at Apple. He stated that having gay parents doesn't mean you will not be able to succeed in life, with the high-profile job at Apple as an example of one such success.

Thanks. But I guess my attempt to combine morals with humor didn't quite strike gold. Oh well. Seinfeld was not an overnight sensation either.

post #146 of 146
Quote:

I got that, but the question is whoever made that claim?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Comixology, not Apple, responsible for comic book's censorship [updated]