or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T's 4G LTE network to hit 79 new markets by summer

AT&T's 4G LTE network to hit 79 new markets by summer

post #1 of 26
AT&T-based users of Apple's iPhone 5 and LTE-enabled iPads will soon find their data access speeds greatly increased in a number of markets, as the carrier announced on Tuesday the expansion of its 4G LTE network to 79 new areas.

LTE

The bulk of the network expansion announced on Tuesday will occur over the course of the summer, with only eight of the announced markets going 4G LTE-active immediately. Those eight markets include Walterboro, SC; Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA; Wilson, NC; and Kalamazoo, MI.

The remaining markets will see 4G LTE speeds arriving over the summer. Those markets include Youngstown, OH; Dayton, OH; Seneca Falls, NY; Columbia, MO; Morgantown, WV; Rio Grande Valley, TX; Ocean City, NJ; and Kinston, NC.

A number of these markets have already been receiving 4G data speeds, but the expansion of 4G LTE will see greater speeds, up to 10 times faster than 3G. AT&T's 4G network currently covers roughly 288 million people across the United States. In recent tests across 13 markets, PC World found AT&T to be the fastest among all providers in terms of download speeds.

A complete listing of the announced areas receiving 4G LTE connectivity between now and the summer follows:

• Anderson, S.C.
  • Athens, Tex.
  • Atlantic City, N.J.
  • Batavia, N.Y.
  • Cape Cod, Mass.
  • Cape Girardeau, Mo.
  • Charleston to Walterboro, S.C.
  • Chattanooga, Tenn.
  • Chico, Calif.
  • Columbia, Mo.
  • Columbus, Ind.
  • Cookeville, Tenn.
  • Corinth/New Albany, Miss.
  • Corsicana, Tex.
  • Cortland, N.Y.
  • Davenport, Iowa
  • Dayton, Ohio
  • Dover, Del.
  • Duluth, Minn.
  • Farmington, N.M.
  • Flagstaff, Ariz.
  • Flint, Mich.
  • Florence/Muscle Shoals, Ala.
  • Fort Wayne, Ind.
  • Gallup, Tex.
  • Goldsboro, N.C.
  • Greenwood, Miss.
  • Gulfport/Biloxi, Miss.
  • Hancock County, Ga.
  • Huntington, W.V.
  • Huntington, W.V.
  • Huntsville, Ala.
  • Huntsville, Tex.
  • Jackson, Miss.
  • Jackson, Tenn.
  • Jefferson/Commerce, Ga.
  • Kalamazoo, Mich.
  • Kinston, N.C.
  • Lansing, Mich.
  • Laramie, Wyo.
  • Laredo, Tex.
  • Leonardtown, Md.
  • Manhattan, Kan.
  • Merced, Calif.
  • Meridian/Philadelphia, Miss.
  • Millville, N.J.
  • Monroeville/Evergreen, Ala.
  • Morgantown, W.V.
  • Muskegon, Miss.
  • Nacogdoches-Lufkin, Tex.
  • Napa, Calif.
  • New Haven, Conn.
  • Ocean City, N.J.
  • Orangeburg, S.C.
  • Paris, Tex.
  • Petersburg, Va.
  • Portsmouth, N.H.
  • Rio Grande Valley, Tex.
  • Roanoke, Va.
  • Rockingham County/Reidsville, N.C.
  • Rocky Mount, Va.
  • Saginaw, Mich.
  • Salem, Ore.
  • San Francisco, Calif.
  • Santa Rosa-Petaluma, Calif.
  • Seneca Falls, N.Y.
  • Sherman-Denison, Tex.
  • Shreveport, La.
  • Spokane, Wash.
  • Texarkana, Tex.
  • Topeka, Ks.
  • Troy/Greenville, Ala.
  • Tuscaloosa, Ala.
  • Valdosta, Ga.
  • Victoria, Tex.
  • Visalia, Calif.
  • Williamsport, Penn.
  • Wilson, N.C.
  • Wooster, Ohio
  • Youngstown, Ohio
post #2 of 26
I'm pretty sure thats Kalamazoo and Lansing MICHIGAN, not Mississippi...
post #3 of 26
Hopefully they expand it to the rest of Long Island. I don't get why they stopped just short of covering a huge research center and a major University.
post #4 of 26
Would it have killed you to organize the list by state?!?!!
post #5 of 26
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post
Would it have killed you to organize the list by state?!?!!

What I don't get is why EVERY article that has these lists CONSISTENTLY uses both standard and non-standard abbreviations arbitrarily. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #6 of 26
How about Palm Springs? C'mon!
post #7 of 26

Rio Grande Valley eh? About time, but I am curious if they'll get all the little towns too like Donna, Alamo, or Pharr.  I wonder if it will spread from Hidalgo and cross the border a little bit.

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What I don't get is why EVERY article that has these lists CONSISTENTLY uses both standard and non-standard abbreviations arbitrarily. 

I don't understand why anyone would do this. Mildly irritating to me. I can only assume they don't know the two letter abbreviation for all fifty states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

How about Palm Springs? C'mon!

Hasn't Palm Springs had AT&T's LTE service since August 2012?

AT&T expands 4G LTE service in Palm Beach County
post #9 of 26

New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the nation.  They would get a big bang for the buck here--I don't get why there is so little coverage.  Ocean City and Millville?  Big Whoop...

Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #10 of 26

They're JUST putting LTE in San Francisco? That can't be correct

post #11 of 26
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
I can only assume they don't know the two letter abbreviation for all fifty states.

Heck, I'm working on an expanded US alternate history where there are enough states to require THREE letters per abbreviation and I still know them all! lol.gif

post #12 of 26
Gotta say I'm finally happy with AT&T lte in Los Angeles. About 5 days ago, I noticed Lte speeds shoot up 4 or 5 fold, in multiple areas. Not sure what they did, but I finally feel good about having an Lte phone around here on AT&T.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Rio Grande Valley eh? About time, but I am curious if they'll get all the little towns too like Donna, Alamo, or Pharr.  I wonder if it will spread from Hidalgo and cross the border a little bit.

And the cartels thank them. 1wink.gif
post #14 of 26
Finally!!! Sherman-Denison, TX gonna get LTE!! I was so jealous of Verizon because Verizon turn LTE on in Sherman-Denison, TX in like 2011 or 2012.... I'm so excited! I count and it's incredible that Texas have 13 LTE!

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the nation.  They would get a big bang for the buck here--I don't get why there is so little coverage.  Ocean City and Millville?  Big Whoop...

"Northern New Jersey AT&T users got a boost recently. The telecom announced that it expanded its 4G LTE network. The 4G network is up to 10 times faster than 3G..." "... Coverage includes parts of Bergen, Passaic, Hudson, Essex, Union and Middlesex Counties from Norwood to the Raritan Bay." (1)

1. Unattributed. Published 10 September 2012. AT&T Expands 4G LTE in Northern NJ. NYConvergence. Retrieved 10 April 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

They're JUST putting LTE in San Francisco? That can't be correct

AT&T has been installing LTE in San Francisco for some time. Unfortunately, the high rise buildings and steep rolling hills make cellular reception challenging at best.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 4/10/13 at 9:13pm
post #16 of 26

About damn time. Although 10x what I currently get around town will still be pretty lousy. Call it going from dialup to DSL. In any case, let's hope they are increasing capacity, not just frequencies.

[this account has been abandoned]

post #17 of 26
When are they going to get LTE for Mayberry?

I get tired of yelling "AnnnnDEEEE" when I want get hold of the sheriff.
post #18 of 26

I could call my ma while I'm up here...

Hey Ma! Get off the dang roof!

post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Yeah, no service in Denver on the list either.  That's weird.  They have billboards around saying LTE is available.

Either way, I'm waiting to upgrade my next phone.  I tried a prepaid plan with T-Mobile, and the speeds are quick.  HSPA+ 42 on T-Mobile is likely just as fast as LTE, but it's about 1/2 the price.

post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDooley View Post

Yeah, no service in Denver on the list either.  That's weird.  They have billboards around saying LTE is available.

Either way, I'm waiting to upgrade my next phone.  I tried a prepaid plan with T-Mobile, and the speeds are quick.  HSPA+ 42 on T-Mobile is likely just as fast as LTE, but it's about 1/2 the price.

The list preceding isn't comprehensive, only the latest cities announced. How can people not understand this?

AT&T 4G LTE Available in Denver as of 14 November 2012.
post #21 of 26
Bumped my area up to LTE last month, very nice. 20 mbps up and down.
post #22 of 26
One day when I was in Ft. Worth, Texas.. I test speed on my iPhone 5 with AT&T LTE, the result shows: whooping 64.88 Mbps download and 13.55 Mbps upload. This beat my cable modem (from 25 to 50 Mbps download and less than 3 Mbps upload).

post #23 of 26

Macbook pro - THe poster was referring to Palm Springs, CA not FL. And teh answer is no, Palm Springs, CA has not had LTE since August, we still do not have it. AT&T said Feb 2013 but still nothing. I'm ready to leave AT&T over this, their service is just awful out here.

post #24 of 26
Quote:

"Northern New Jersey AT&T users got a boost recently. The telecom announced that it expanded its 4G LTE network. The 4G network is up to 10 times faster than 3G..." "... Coverage includes parts of Bergen, Passaic, Hudson, Essex, Union and Middlesex Counties from Norwood to the Raritan Bay." (1)

1. Unattributed. Published 10 September 2012. AT&T Expands 4G LTE in Northern NJ. NYConvergence. Retrieved 10 April 2013.

Ok, my iPad is showing some spotty LTE here in Central Jersey. Everybody can relax now, it's cool...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #25 of 26
Quote:

I don't understand why anyone would do this. Mildly irritating to me. I can only assume they don't know the two letter abbreviation for all fifty states.
Hasn't Palm Springs had AT&T's LTE service since August 2012?

AT&T expands 4G LTE service in Palm Beach County
Palm Springs is in California (Riverside County) and does not have LTE. Palm Beach County is in Florida. I can't believe AT&T still has no plans for Palm Springs.
post #26 of 26

Palm Springs, CA was supposed to get LTE in Feb 2013, but as we can all see, it has not happened yet. Head out to the Banning/Beaumont area and they have LTE. Palm Springs is a tourist spot, Banning isn't. I don't understand AT&T at all. This is pushing me to look at VZW.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T's 4G LTE network to hit 79 new markets by summer