or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › IDC: PC shipments see steepest quarterly decline ever, Apple drops 7.5% [u]

IDC: PC shipments see steepest quarterly decline ever, Apple drops 7.5% [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 49

Just as the world needs more tech-savvy people, many are switching away from full-fledged computers to mobile phones, devices that you can't teach yourself programming or databases or system administration on.

post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Read that report again please:

"The 19 percent year-over-year decline was attributed to "disappointing demand for the iPhone" in the report published on Wednesday."

"REPORTEDLY" due to disappointing demand for the iPhone.

Analysts can say anything. It's really too bad that sites like AI do not hold them accountable.

I would propose a simple database. Every time an analyst makes a prediction like this, enter it into the database. Then, check the accuracy at 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years (anything beyond that means it was probably not true in the first place, but add 3 or 5 years if you wish). Then accumulate the data and report an accuracy score.

Seriously, there are 10,000 sites who do nothing but simply regurgitate the same rumors that everyone else has. Why not add some value to your regurgitation of everyone else's rumors?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

"REPORTEDLY" due to disappointing demand for the iPhone.

What demand numbers are they using too? I predict the iPhone would sell 1mm/day. Anything less will be a disappointment.
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Assuming these estimates are accurate it's hard to argue that we're not in a Post-PC era.

Another takeaway is that it shows Apple increasing its marketshare to double digits. Perhaps not significant by itself but when you consider that around 5% Apple had over 90% of the $1000 and up market and was taking 1/3rd of the market's profits. Those ratios are likely higher now.

Agreed.

To me, it seems, finally people have woken up to the fact that Windows is a sh*te OS and they're tired of ugly, plasticky, cheap boxes with a myriad of ugly cables from HP, Dell, etc.

:)

post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed.

To me, it seems, finally people have woken up to the fact that Windows is a sh*te OS and they're tired of ugly, plasticky, cheap boxes with a myriad of ugly cables from HP, Dell, etc.

1smile.gif

I think it goes even deeper than that. I think people have "woken up" to how poor the Desktop OS paradigm is for the average user or the average task.

Despite the massive strides Apple has made to make Mac OS X as seamless and intuitive as possible, even borrowing concepts they learned from iOS the model, it is still less than ideal for the average consumer's needs.

I think this is why the iPad was not only a success — when the "experts" said it would fail for not having Mac OS X and following in the footsteps of 2 decades of failed Windows tablets — but why it's the fastest selling consumer electronic the world has ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, I do love my Macs. In fact, I don't use my iPad that much. I play Kingdom Rush (love that game) mostly or use it when otherwise indisposed in the home. But I'm not the average user and I suspect few talking about tech and on this forum are the ideal consumer that can easily eschew the traditional Desktop OS.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/11/13 at 10:38am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #46 of 49
Quote:

I can't speak for New Zealand, but in the US, a number of HP laptops have 'full HD'. For example:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/C2L40UA?HP-ENVY-dv6-7214nr-Notebook-PC
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/C2H77UA?HP-ENVY-dv7-7212nr-Notebook-PC
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Spectre/C2M71UA?HP-Spectre-XT-TouchSmart-15-4010nr-Ultrabook

Heck, even my older HP Probook 4730s had a 1600x900 screen which is far better than your claim of 'crappy 720p screens' (I upgraded the screen to full HD which wasn't hard to do, either).

Sure, if you buy the $399 specials, they're going to have crappy screens, but that doesn't mean ALL their computers are junk.

Well, lucky you.

Check this: http://www.hpshopping.co.nz/acquire/default.asp?pageid=custom&custom=notebooks&filter=1

Everything is listed with 1366x... screens, and I cannot even see option to configure.

Re business models, they are better - we use EliteBooks 8470 and 8570 and they are really nice business machines. They also come with 1600x... screens as standard; not an IPS, but much more decent than what we get in consumers range. But they come through channel sale, not retail shops.

Granted link above doesn't show everything they sell in NZ... but when you walk in any computer/electronic shop, you are greeted by same mediocrity.

And then go to

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/nzweb/LenovoPortal/en_NZ/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?current-catalog-id=3634951826AE4D3881BFFF1AC5FCD957&current-category-id=A56CF1BCD411404E8B1184A5C307A0FB&redir=y

And compare their offering.
post #47 of 49
Quote:

Seriously, there are 10,000 sites who do nothing but simply regurgitate the same rumors that everyone else has. Why not add some value to your regurgitation of everyone else's rumors?

Like Steve said, journalism died when the word blog became mainstream (or similar words). A crying shame, because some in depth analysis would be a good thing. Instead, we're left with

"...sources close to"
"...people familiar with"
"...sometimes reliable"
"...hit or miss news site"

Hmm, maybe I should twist that into a new sig:

"Hit-or-miss AI poster PhilBoogies' opinion isn't shared by many and is simply posting for the sake of discussion."
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #48 of 49
Quote:

I would propose a simple database. Every time an analyst makes a prediction like this, enter it into the database. Then, check the accuracy at 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years (anything beyond that means it was probably not true in the first place, but add 3 or 5 years if you wish). Then accumulate the data and report an accuracy score.

Oh man.  While I was recovering from surgery a couple of weeks ago, I ran across an online business magazine ranking of the twenty (?) most accurate analysts.   It included PiperJaffray, JP Morgan, Horace Dediu (who was way down the ranks), etc.

I cannot seem to find the list again, but perhaps you'll be able to search for it.  I'll keep looking too.

Edit. woo hoo!  Turned out I mailed the link to myself for safekeeping.

CNN Money - The sorry state of Apple analysis

post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see many laptops with 3.5" drives. Are you talking about the SSD card that you can get for Fusion Drive along with the 27" iMac?

5400 RPM drives: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › IDC: PC shipments see steepest quarterly decline ever, Apple drops 7.5% [u]