or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO claims to have sold Steve Jobs on an LTE iPhone

Verizon CEO claims to have sold Steve Jobs on an LTE iPhone

post #1 of 38
Speaking at the NAB conference on Wednesday, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam claims he was the one who suggested adding 4G LTE capabilities to the iPhone some time after the iPhone 4 was released.

iPhone 5
The iPhone 5 was the first Apple handset to feature LTE capabilities.

As reported by Fierce Wireless (via The Next Web), the Verizon chief said he pitched the protocol to Jobs, who apparently liked the idea of high-speed access for the iPhone.

"I was really trying to sell him and he sat there without any reaction. Finally, he said, ?Enough. You had me at 10 Mbps. I know you can stream video at 10 Mbps.? And Apple?s next phone was LTE," McAdams said.

The timeline is somewhat suspect in the executive's recounting of the tale, as Jobs passed away on October 5, 2011, one day after the iPhone 4S was unveiled. McAdams is likely referring to the iPhone 5, however, as the 4S offered only HSPA+ connectivity.

At the time, U.S. wireless technology was moving toward 4G, with Verizon banking on long-term evolution, or LTE, as the telecom built out its advanced network. Subsequently, all major carriers now leverage the wireless standard to provide fast data transmissions to Apple's latest products like the iPhone 5 and current iPad lineup.

It was just reported today that AT&T would be extending its LTE coverage to 79 new markets, with the rollout scheduled to complete this summer. T-Mobile, the last of the "Big Four" U.S. telecoms to become an Apple partner carrier, has also jumped on board, activating its own 4G LTE network in March ahead of the company's iPhone launch this Friday.
post #2 of 38
So McAdams isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch, hmm? Can think he honestly thinks he convinced Jobs to add LTE unless he is amongst the very dimmest of people walking the earth.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #3 of 38

He also convinced Cisco to go with gigabit ethernet, back in the day.

post #4 of 38

Well, thank God for Verizon's CEO then. Clearly would never have gotten LTE into an iPhone if it wasn't for him, and we'd be stuck on HSPA+ forever. Only Verizon's CEO could have come up with the brilliant idea of adding LTE to a phone, a capability that would have really required some out of the box thinking, and thank our lucky stars he was around to tell Jobs' whats up. 

The fact that this douche actually believes, or trying to get believe to believe, that he had any influence on iPhone development blows my mind. 

post #5 of 38
Since he's dead and we can make claims, I sent Steve an email with the idea for adding the "Dictionary" feature to the copy/paste bar in iOS. (This is actually real; whether or not he even saw my email is a different story lol)
post #6 of 38
So I wasn't watching video at 1.5 Mbps? What was it then?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #7 of 38

If the guy had convinced Jobs to add LTE to a device PRIOR to any LTE service being available AND convinced him to make it exclusive to Verizon AND had been poised to flood the market with LTE service and capitalize on that exclusivity then perhaps it would be notable. 

and for the record I am the one who convinced the rain to fall during the storm this afternoon, yes indeed, using the oldest of rain making techniques often referred to as "a trip to the carwash" 

post #8 of 38
As if Jobs wasn't aware of this major new development in the cellular world before the Verizon CEO told him about it at a trade show. Come on.
post #9 of 38
Congratulations?
post #10 of 38
Wow. You don't think Jobs would have come up with that idea? Back in 2008, I talked Jobs into making a thinner and lighter iPhone.
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So I wasn't watching video at 1.5 Mbps? What was it then?

Maybe some 360p YouTube. I $#!T you not though, the first week I had my Verizon IPhone 5, Netflix was loading in 720p with zero lag. Scrubbing the timeline gave instant thumbnails as fast as my finger could move/ My record so far is 45 Mbps. Could hardly be happier with the speed/service.
post #12 of 38
Hubris
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Speaking at the NAB conference on Wednesday, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam claims he was the one who suggested adding 4G LTE capabilities to the iPhone some time after the iPhone 4 was released.

iPhone 5
The iPhone 5 was the first Apple handset to feature LTE capabilities.

As reported by Fierce Wireless (via The Next Web), the Verizon chief said he pitched the protocol to Jobs, who apparently liked the idea of high-speed access for the iPhone.

Aside from everyone else's comments about how ridiculous it is to think that Jobs wasn't already thinking about LTE, I have to wonder what kind of idiots attend the NAB conference. If the attendees had any brains at all, McAdam would have been laughed off stage.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I emailed Tim cook to put 802.11ac in the iPhone. When it eventually gets added, remember it was my idea¡

Great! And thanks a million! BTW, I was the one who convinced Steve-o to get on the Intel bandwagon. I told him Intel was a win-win and he just sat there and looked me for bit and then said, "You had me at gigabit clock speed."

post #15 of 38
This wouldn't have happened if Steve was alive.
post #16 of 38
What made Steve so brilliant is he often had the ability to convince other people they thought of the idea for him to then have Apple implement--he flippped the sales pitch around and they felt like they just upsold Apple.

It's even better seeing it live, in person.
post #17 of 38
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
…he just sat there and looked me for bit and then said, "You had me at gigabit clock speed."

"I just have one question. What's a gigabit?"

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post
This wouldn't have happened if Steve was alive.

Never thought I'd see a valid use for that statement. This guy would have crapped his pants at the thought of saying something like this while Jobs was still alive.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Never thought I'd see a valid use for that statement. This guy would have crapped his pants at the thought of saying something like this while Jobs was still alive.

The irony is immeasurable, no?
post #19 of 38
By this same logic, all those people who whined about the iPhone screen being too small hereby take credit for Steve Jobs approving the screen size boost for the iPhone 5.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 38
I invented the Internet.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #21 of 38
Ok good. So who's idea was it to cap my data every month? A fire hose doesn't do a whole lot of good if only a few drops of water are allowed through it.
post #22 of 38
Don't forget, Al Gore created the internet.
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I invented the Internet.
I convinced you to go and invent it.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Congratulations?
Yeah, why not? And a balloon.
post #25 of 38
Oops, redundant (and repetitious). And duplicative as well.
post #26 of 38

It probably happened. I mean, who knew.

You mean this industry is racing towards smaller, lighter, cheaper, faster?

post #27 of 38
I know hard to believe I told Sony to do the Playstation 2 when Playstation was out and then when Playstation 2 was out I said why not do Playstation ..I did same with iPhone's ..I know amazing right ..
post #28 of 38

Apple were going to stop innovating after the first iPhone until I sent Steve a mail about the amazing new 3G skytubes.

censored

censored

post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I have to wonder what kind of idiots attend the NAB conference. If the attendees had any brains at all, McAdam would have been laughed off stage.

There are a BUNCH of incompetent "corporate types" in suits that attend on their company's dime. Lots of them at the Sony booth as well...

My wife actually laughed to see Verizon there.

I was thinking how much it must have cost them for their huge booth and how I'm glad I'm not subsidizing all those managers' trips to Vegas for the week.

post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

So McAdams isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch, hmm? Can think he honestly thinks he convinced Jobs to add LTE unless he is amongst the very dimmest of people walking the earth.

Well, for being one of the dimmest people on earth he certainly has become quite successful and made a lot of money.

post #31 of 38

I'm the guy that told Verizon and AT&T to stop raping us with their data plans.

When they stop... You're welcome.

post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I'm the guy that told Verizon and AT&T to stop raping us with their data plans.

When they stop... You're welcome.

If...
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagladry View Post

Don't forget, Al Gore created the internet.

Al Gore is as responsible for the Internet as anyone else who could legitimately make the same claim:

Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf
Tim Berners-Lee

Al Gore actually has a lifetime achievement award for his contributions to the "creation" (not invention) of the Internet.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #34 of 38
B.S. Obviously, Apple would add LTE when it became available, as all vendors had plans to switch to LTE for the past 5 years.
post #35 of 38
I think that guy just wanted to have his name mentioned in an article together with Steve Jobs.

Stay Hungry, stay foolish.

http://everystevejobsvideo.com

Stay Hungry, stay foolish.

http://everystevejobsvideo.com

post #36 of 38
Tallest or other website person can you please tell me where to post IOS app bugs please!
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Tallest or other website person can you please tell me where to post IOS app bugs please!

If you mean AppleInsider app bugs, they'll go in the feedback section.
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Marvin's spot on about AppleInsider bugs, and Apple bugs go here if you're a developer and here if you're a user.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO claims to have sold Steve Jobs on an LTE iPhone