or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft reportedly planning 7" tablet as part of new Surface lineup

Microsoft reportedly planning 7" tablet as part of new Surface lineup

post #1 of 33
Microsoft is again said to be working on a 7-inch Surface to add to the company's next-generation tablet lineup, with the smaller form factor device reportedly set for mass manufacture by year's end.

Citing people familiar with Microsoft's hardware plans, The Wall Street Journal reported late Wednesday that the company is readying a new line of Surface tablets to follow up on the Surface RT and Surface Pro released earlier this year. One of the new units will supposedly be a 7-inch model, which would put it in direct competition with Apple's iPad mini.

Surface WiFi

Sources say Microsoft did not originally plan on adding a 7-inch Surface to its lineup, but growing demand for small form factor tablets prompted the Redmond, Washington-based company to reconsider.

With PC shipments taking a nosedive over the past three months, Microsoft may be looking to bolster its financial position by entering new markets. Research firms IDC and Gartner released their quarterly vendor estimates on Wednesday, noting the first quarter saw one of the steepest declines in PC shipments ever recorded.

This is not the first time Microsoft has been rumored to be developing a 7-inch tablet, as reports in November 2012 claimed the company was planning a gaming-centric device to be sold under the Xbox brand.

Microsoft's current Surface lineup has seen mediocre sales thus far, with one report from March estimating only 1.5 million units were sold since the Surface RT launched in October 2012. The Surface Pro, which hit store shelves in February and runs a full version of Windows 8, accounted for less than 500,000 of those sales.

By comparison, Apple sold 23 million iPads over the holiday quarter alone.
post #2 of 33
Another product that nobody will buy. Ballmer is on a roll.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #3 of 33

Yawn. 1bugeye.gif

As opposed to Windows 8 and all of these Microsoft tablets that are failures, there is one Microsoft product which interests me, and I hope that they release it for Mac. That I would definitely buy.

AOE II HD, one of the best games ever!

I already have AOE II for Mac, but I would pay full price for it again, just to get the updated HD version.

post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Another product that nobody will buy. Ballmer is on a roll.

Ballmer is attracted to a bad idea like a fly to a fresh cowpie. I can not see these things flying off the shelves, but I can see them thrown around in Microsoft commercials.

Console gaming computers are a small niche market and Ballmer is has to duke it out with a couple other has-been companies just to stay in the business, and Ballmer wants to throw more money into gaming with these devices...?

I want some of what he's smoking!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #5 of 33
Not wide enough for a keyboard, so I guess the commercial will be the clicking of the stylus against the side of the tablet instead...
post #6 of 33

Haha, $500? Fully subsidized with a plan? I said that is the most expensive phone in the world, and it doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard, which makes it not a very good email machine.lol.gif

Right now we're selling millions and millions and millions of phones a year, Apple is selling zero phones a year.1biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

post #7 of 33
This is a mistake. Nobody will buy it. As Panos Panay, General Manager for MS Product explains, the Surface Pro is a device that appeals to professionals on the go who need productivity. The 10" screen is already borderline too damn small for real productivity and now you want to make it smaller??

One of the reasons for Surface Pro's poor battery life is because they had to make the form factor so small and light. They sacrificed the battery to make it svelte. What do you think is going to happen when you shrink the battery down even more (for a 7" device) and you're still trying to run a Core i5?

MSFT needs to make a bigger "tablet". If they were smart they would make a 11" or even 13" model for the professionals. Surface Pro is already too big and unwieldy to keep on the lap or hold in the hands anyways. Everyone pretty much uses it on the desktop just like a laptop.
post #8 of 33
How in the world can you claim they are competing with Apple's iPad mini, which has a 7.9" screen? This rumor is a 7-incher, so more like competing against all the Samsungs of the world.

I like stories like this one better:
Samsung Office Searched by Police in OLED Technology Leak Probe >

edit 2: Microsoft Surface Phone rumor resurfaces, to hit the shelves by next summer >
Edited by PhilBoogie - 4/10/13 at 11:24pm
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #9 of 33
If this thing is actually runs full windows, that would be absolutely hilarious. Classsic desktop on a 7" screen.. as if a 10" screen wasn't a useability nightmare already.
post #10 of 33
Can't wait to see the 7" diagonal Touch Cover and Type Cover.
Will the 7" Surface come with a free finger file?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #11 of 33
Seriously? If true, time for heads to roll at MS.
post #12 of 33
Right. Because Windows running on 7" touchscreen UMPCs like the Samsung Q1 were such a hit. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 33

They should just skip tablets and go back to being a pure software company for a while, and try to be ready for the next big platform, e.g. wearable devices. If they keep trying to do everything Apple is doing they will permanently be in catch-up mode, they need to skip a generation to get back in the game.

post #14 of 33

This is so Ballmer...doubling down on failure. Ron Johnson was given less than 2 years to wreck JCP. How many decades will Microsoft give Steve Ballmer?

post #15 of 33

OMG.  so funny.  Thanks for posting youtube video.

post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

If this thing is actually runs full windows, that would be absolutely hilarious. Classsic desktop on a 7" screen.. as if a 10" screen wasn't a useability nightmare already.

Oh, it's much worse than that.

Imagine 100 people dancing around and doing gymnastics moves clicking a 7" tablet. The tablet will be too small to make a good 'dance around like idiots clicking your tablet' commercial.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, it's much worse than that.

Imagine 100 people dancing around and doing gymnastics moves clicking a 7" tablet. The tablet will be too small to make a good 'dance around like idiots clicking your tablet' commercial.

Flamenco dancers clicking their Ventanas Ocho Casteñets.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #18 of 33
So instead of limiting the failure of RT to full size tablets, Microsoft can face-plant their marquee product into the entire market.
post #19 of 33
Somewhere, Samsung is working on a new Galaxy phone that is larger than this 1smile.gif
post #20 of 33
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post
Somewhere, Samsung is working on a new Galaxy phone that is larger than this 1smile.gif

I can't wait for Samsung to rebrand their laptop line as "Galaxy" products thanks to the inclusion of a telephony chip.

Cue the commercials where you see people holding their 17" laptops to their heads.

"Now with a new hinge that lays flat to facilitate closer holding!" Of course, that shows up on the SECOND generation model…

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can't wait for Samsung to rebrand their laptop line as "Galaxy" products thanks to the inclusion of a telephony chip.

Cue the commercials where you see people holding their 17" laptops to their heads.

"Now with a new hinge that lays flat to facilitate closer holding!" Of course, that shows up on the SECOND generation model…

For colder climates they would offer the Astrakhan model:

And, for the ladies... a nice warm muff:

post #22 of 33
I feel that Microsoft are in a hole and they are trying to dig themselves out.

Ballmer is a clown without a clue. Fact!
post #23 of 33

i love the smell of desperation in the morning ....

MS can't admit no one wants Windows tablets. it's going to keep flailing and failing with new models as long as Ballmer/Bill call the shots. expect tight integration with the XBox 3 - that's its last faint hope (how's that working out for you, Nintendo?).

because without tablets/phones, MS will have to face the truth its future is to be principally an enterprise services company, like IBM. and that Windows never will be "everywhere" - B&B's meglomaniac dream of 199x. but the worm has turned ...

post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I found their new spokesman...

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #25 of 33
Ballmer: "We will just keep making more versions of what we are not able to sell, until we find one that does."
post #26 of 33
At least it will cost less in shipping and take up less room in the stockrooms and warehouses before being returned unsold
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I feel that Microsoft are in a hole and they are trying to dig themselves out.

Ballmer is a clown without a clue. Fact!

There you go, insulting clowns!
post #28 of 33
I can see further into the future:

"Microsoft reportedly planning to discontinue their 7" tablet which failed to all life to the Surface lineup"
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

i love the smell of desperation in the morning ....

MS can't admit no one wants Windows tablets. it's going to keep flailing and failing with new models as long as Ballmer/Bill call the shots. expect tight integration with the XBox 3 - that's its last faint hope (how's that working out for you, Nintendo?).

because without tablets/phones, MS will have to face the truth its future is to be principally an enterprise services company, like IBM. and that Windows never will be "everywhere" - B&B's meglomaniac dream of 199x. but the worm has turned ...

Which is of course not true.

Win8 tablets are out, what - 6 months for RT, 3 months for Pro. Consider this:

Android tablets are out for 2 years, I think... and only recently have they started catching up with iPads. They had to compete "only" against iPad and it took them 2 years to get anywhere.

Win8 tablets are competing iPads AND Android tablets. Not to mention that iPad, as a platform, is much stronger now than it was when Android tablets started hitting market.

The only thing that might work for MS here, and give them some decent market share in 2 years or so time, is business market. Win tablets (Pro, not RT) are so much more at home in there. That is the most logical penetration point for Win8 tablets, and one that MS is not really focusing on, unfortunately for them. Lenovo and HP have tablets with docking stations capable of connecting to LAN, big screen or two, and usual USB devices... but Surface Pro, which should be pinnacle of business-grade tablets, cannot.

But... I have a feel this will change with next refresh. MS would like to be cool consumer brand, but at the end you play cards you have in your hands, and those cards has "corporate" written all over then. Consumer explosion would be great for them, but their products are known to enter homes through business exposure, and regardless of their wishes, I think they will have to stick to that formula for their tablets as well.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Ballmer: "We will just keep making more versions of what we are not able to sell, until we find one that does."

Well innovation is off the table for Microsoft for the foreseeable future (unless they drastically change their corporate culture), so success by brute force retries and chasing their competitors is pretty much the only playbook open to them.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 33
I'd buy a surface over an android any day, iPad first, surface only second option I'd ever consider

2004 PowerBook G4, 2005 PowerMac G5, 2008 MacPro, iPhone 4, 2011 MacBook Pro, White iPhone 4s

2004 PowerBook G4, 2005 PowerMac G5, 2008 MacPro, iPhone 4, 2011 MacBook Pro, White iPhone 4s

post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well innovation is off the table for Microsoft for the foreseeable future (unless they drastically change their corporate culture), so success by brute force retries and chasing their competitors is pretty much the only playbook open to them.

And therein lies the precise reason for Microsofts continuing downfall ... 'brute force' no longer works for them.
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I can see further into the future:

"Microsoft reportedly planning to discontinue their 7" tablet which failed to all life to the Surface lineup"

Once discontinued they will probably convert them into giant Win 8 phones to capture the new emerging segment Samsung is after, that lucrative market of people with really large pockets, hands, ears and poor eye sight.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft reportedly planning 7" tablet as part of new Surface lineup