or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display

Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display - Page 4

post #121 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yes it does when you out in public talking to yourself.

So, a big phone looks ridiculous and a headset looks ridiculous, so the only way to not look ridiculous is to hold a 4" or smaller phone to your head?

Or would I be okay if I hung a sign around my neck that says "SHUT UP! I'M ON THE PHONE!"

post #122 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's a generalization. If you're anti-Apple, for example, you don't have a choice.

Sorry, not sure what you mean.

post #123 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

I think he's referring to the exceedingly uncommon scenario in which someone buys a larger phone simply because they don't like Apple products.
post #124 of 150
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
"Moron" for buying a 19" portable computer or "moron" for using it on a plane?

Using it on a plane, primarily. But did you see any of those machines when they were out? They're an iMac with a battery. And I bet an iMac is more portable than some of them.

or for sitting next to Sheldon in the first place?

Look, absolutely nothing he said was intended to have any humor whatsoever, and I'm fed up with dealing with anti-Apple fools on a pro-Apple website. Knock off whatever this is.

If they're buying not-Apple for the sake of not-Apple, they'll have to buy a larger screened phone! lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #125 of 150
Quote:

So, a big phone looks ridiculous and a headset looks ridiculous, so the only way to not look ridiculous is to hold a 4" or smaller phone to your head?

Or would I be okay if I hung a sign around my neck that says "SHUT UP! I'M ON THE PHONE!"

You can use a 4.5" phone. Just don't try to put a tablet against your face.
post #126 of 150
Quote:

Look, absolutely nothing he said was intended to have any humor whatsoever, and I'm fed up with dealing with anti-Apple fools on a pro-Apple website. Knock off whatever this is.

Who's anti-Apple? Not me. I'd be doing a damn poor job of it if I was, considering how much of their gear I have, and ipso facto, how much formerly-my money they have!

As for the humor, funny is in the bone of the beholder. Perhaps I was not able to tickle yours, but contrary to your assertion, the "intent" was there (despite me admittedly forgetting to add the obligatory "Bazinga!").

Edited by v5v - 4/12/13 at 6:50am
post #127 of 150

…funny is in the bone of the beholder.

This got a multi-nod-while-looking-with-moderate-intensity from me. I like it.

post #128 of 150
Dear Apple Insider, please, setup a Samsung Insider site and move these Samsung crap "news" over there.
post #129 of 150

If Samsung thinks there is a market for a toy with any particular size or configuration, and if they think its worth the investment of putting the things on the shelf for people to buy.

Who cares ?

Those who want such a toy will buy it.

Those who don't won't.

WTF.

Do I care if Samsung or <Insert any name here> produces something I don't want to buy ? Why should I care ?  As long as there's a choice I don't mind a bit.

post #130 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It's the elephant in the forum so we might as well get it out of the way

That's what she said. 1wink.gif

I've always thought Apple should do a series of TV commercials along the lines of "It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it."  But they are probably too prudish to do such a thing.  It would go over big in Europe and other more modern countries but it's perhaps a bit to risqué for the US.  

I'm envisioning a female lead who is new to a city and has a series of encounters with men during her day as she asks them for directions or whatever.  Each guy takes the opportunity to show off their giant, manly phones, each bigger than the one previous, each man bragging just a little bit more, each looking a little more pathetic than the one before them.  They all fail to help her in one way or another until she meets someone with an iPhone 5 who immediately is able to answer her questions and help her out in record time.  Then the tag line of course.  

"iPhone. It may be small but it takes up a whole lot of space."
post #131 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

This is a pro-Apple web site???? I thought this was a website for people INTERESTED in Apple and its products?!

You must be missing the weekend editorials1smile.gif

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #132 of 150
When is a phone too big? I guess this is Samsung's plan....

Introducing the Samsung Galaxy Super-Mammoth-XXL-Mega-Monstrous-Astronomical-Enormous S
post #133 of 150

Wow.

post #134 of 150

What demographic ?!? What about people with failing eyesight ? people who put usually their phone in their jacket or in their purse rather than in a pocket ? people who are mentally past 12 and do not care what strangers in the street think of them or consider cool ... oh well, probably only a few hundred million in the world of these

post #135 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topastro View Post

What demographic ?!? What about people with failing eyesight ? people who put usually their phone in their jacket or in their purse rather than in a pocket ? people who are mentally past 12 and do not care what strangers in the street think of them or consider cool ... oh well, probably only a few hundred million in the world of these

Don't forget people who aren't mentally past 12 and feel compelled to read a forum and open an account on a website that is a tribute to a company they clearly despise.
post #136 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Don't forget people who aren't mentally past 12 and feel compelled to read a forum and open an account on a website that is a tribute to a company they clearly despise.

In what way does wishing Apple would offer a larger screen size equate to one despising Apple? That is a seriously strange reaction.

post #137 of 150
I guess I'm the only one who wants an iPhone 5" ?
I want to leave my house with 1 iOS device to send texts, surf the Internet, read & call my people mostly while in my car connected to blue tooth.
post #138 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

I guess I'm the only one who wants an iPhone 5" ?
I want to leave my house with 1 iOS device to send texts, surf the Internet, read & call my people mostly while in my car connected to blue tooth.

I personally doubt I'd want one but I can certainly see a market for it.

There are some things to consider. Would they use the same resolution as the 4" thus making it scale easily for developers thereby not affecting the user? At 4.9404", the size that allows them to use the same panels as used with the iPad 3, it's only 264 PPI. Is that enough?

If we folllow Apple's history they could:

1) double the resolution this making it a 528 PPI display (which seems excessive) and disadvantageous to the performance and battery life for the device.

2) They could use the same 326 PPI panels but center the app so there are black borders (like on the iPhone 5 with iPhone 4S apps). This wouldn't be juat a top and bottom border but also one on the sides, and quite extensive.

I'm not sure either would fly at Apple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #139 of 150
Quote:

As the processors and graphics cards get faster, I don't see why Apple would not go with a resolution independent rendering model, rendering (as it were) this question moot...

There are very real reasons why Apple will not make all graphics in an OS vectored. Do you think the latest MBP can handle it yet they did something very different (and smart) with the Retina MBPs.

post #140 of 150
…whatever they did was only partly smart, since it took a long time for some vendors (including some with a lot of resources) to catch up with the retina-compatible versions of their apps…

Yep. It's Apple's fault idiot developers are lazy¡ 1oyvey.gif

(this would not have been an issue with a resolution independent rendering model)

OH REALLY?! YOU KNOW THAT FOR A FACT, DO YOU?! 😧

There's no 'incredulous' emoji. That's called 'anguished', so it's close. Really, this is closer to 'anguished'… 😫

post #141 of 150
Quote:

Yep. It's Apple's fault idiot developers are lazy¡ 1oyvey.gif

Apple decided to create a display system that no longer uses the industry-standard display format. For marketing reasons they kept it secret, so developers did not have advance opportunity to adapt. Apple is the only manufacturer to do this and its users are only 10% of the market.

If I'm a manager at a software company whose job is prioritizing work, I'm not sure making my title "Retina Compatible" would be high on the list. Between not feeling particularly inclined to chase Apple's latest unilateral move and there not being a strong business case for fast-tracking something that will only yield returns from a tiny fraction of the market (the fraction of the 10% that own Retina models), I can see this making it to the "when we get around to it" file.

Apple secretly changing its rules for how software runs on its machines is not wrong. Developers who decide not to knock themselves out updating their software to accommodate that change are not lazy. Each side has its own agenda and they don't always coincide.

post #142 of 150

This is an attempt by Samsung to get men into using handbags just to carry their phones. Next thing you know they'll get men to wear dresses and grow out their hair. Won't be too long when everyone who uses a Samsung carries a rolling backpack just for their phones.

post #143 of 150
I never understand people that moan about Samsung releasing large phones. It is about choice. Instead of Apple's stupid one size fits all policy, Samsung develops phones for everyone. Galaxy Note for creative minds using the S Pen, Galaxy Mega for game players and video watchers and the Galaxy S series for the regular consumer.
post #144 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhall43 View Post

Instead of Apple's stupid one size fits all policy...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

post #145 of 150
Instead of Apple's stupid one size fits all policy, Samsung develops phones for everyone.

Everyone, including those who can't afford smartphones, those who don't ever want modern software or updates thereto, and those who think having a 5" screen is a good thing.

post #146 of 150

you know what MH means by one size fits all. At any given point in time apple only have one new phone, hence the one size fits all analogy. The older handsets exist largely because apple already paid for machinery/R&D.

post #147 of 150
Quote:

I never understand people that moan about Samsung releasing large phones. It is about choice. Instead of Apple's stupid one size fits all policy, Samsung develops phones for everyone. Galaxy Note for creative minds using the S Pen, Galaxy Mega for game players and video watchers and the Galaxy S series for the regular consumer.

Some members feel that they have to be critical of any policy not currently adopted by apple, even though they are then forced to back track in the event that apple change the policy. The shift away from the 3.5 inch screen was a classic example, as was the smaller iPad.

post #148 of 150
Quote:

The older handsets exist largely because apple already paid for machinery/R&D.

So that's the reason, whoddha thunked?
post #149 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yes, i stated the obvious but only to counter the suggestion that apple doesn't subscribe to the one size fits all approach to phones, or do you disagree? Actually, can you explain what it is that you have taken umbrage with? I am not totally sure.

post #150 of 150
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yes, i stated the obvious but only to counter the suggestion that apple doesn't subscribe to the one size fits all approach to phones, or do you disagree? Actually, can you explain what it is that you have taken umbrage with? I am not totally sure.

The machinery gets paid for by their manufactures, or so I presume. Their R&D expands well into other products, many that will never see the light of day. Check out the Samsung courtcase where many iPhone prototype models were shown. So no, I don't think older hardware still on the market has anything to do with... what was the point again?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display