or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display

Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display - Page 3

post #81 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

As discussed in another thread, bluetooth is your friend in those situations. Most cars are already wired for hands free.

So I can use Bluetooth to play Angry Birds, check email and surf the Internet?
post #82 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Driving. Jk. If your on a subway, holding on tight. Holding your lunch, an umbrella, a leash while walking the dog, a drink, ...

Good examples, I'll buy that.

Personally, I'm willing to forego that benefit for the advantage of easier web browsing, typing and gaming. I can see why others might choose the opposite though.

Hey, here's a thought: why not make a slim, one-handed version for people who walk the dog in the rain at lunch time, and a bigger, two-handed model for fumble-fingered, half-blind, headset-wearers?

Nah, that would be as silly as offering computers in more than one form factor...

post #83 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think the 6.8" model also fails to support LTE.

That said, for the intended markets it may be exactly what they need. Large and low cost. I'd think it's for people that don't have a great deal of disposable income, therefore not being able to buy multiple devices. A really large phone that doubles as a tablet could be a low cost replacement for each, and perhaps a 'PC'.

I think you're right about that. At over 6", there is very little difference between carrying a Galaxy mega and a 7" tablet.
post #84 of 150

Edit: oh, old joke.
post #85 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung is planning a global roll-out of the Galaxy Mega, beginning in Europe and Russia and May. 

In Soviet Russia, phone carries you!

post #86 of 150
Quote:

Steve was talking about major directions, not minor tweaks. If the customer wants a 6.3" phone, why not give it to him? It is otherwise the same as a 4.5" phone, just, um, bigger.

Because smart companies realize that running down the path of "we'll make 50,000 different varieties of our product so that we can make every single customer happy" is a losing game.
Quote:

As discussed in another thread, bluetooth is your friend in those situations. Most cars are already wired for hands free.

So if the phone is being stashed somewhere because it's too large to be usable, what's the point?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #87 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Carrying groceries, opening a door, writing something down… you know, living a life.

Fair enough. I use my iPhone two-handed now so I guess I'm already conditioned to setting things down to use it.

As a respectful aside, not necessarily related to either single- or double-handed use, as someone who shares the space in which others' lives are lived, I wish like crazy you would put the damn phone AWAY when you're doing those things! I'm tired of executing gymnastic evasive maneuvers to avoid being run over by people who have their noses buried in a screen instead of paying attention to to all that living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're perfectly capable of making good decisions. Just decide to buy something else.

LOL! I get that. The only thing I *don't* get is Apple's apparent refusal to stray from "small" and "medium" screens to also offer "large." They added "small" to the MBP line with the 13" but killed off my beloved 17" "large." They produced a smaller iPad with the Mini but not the 15" version you and I want. With the iPhone they seem determined to offer ONLY a "medium" and neither "small" nor "large." It's frustrating to be both a preferrer of Apple's OSes *and* a screen hog!

post #88 of 150
And, in other news, Samsung decides to compete against Google Glasses...

If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #89 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Why do you feel that's a good thing?

I can see some benefits to doing things differently:

Flagship 1: Destroyer class. Sleek, comparatively compact device for those who feel that how you use it matters more than size.

Flagship 2: Carrier class: Larger unit with controls that are less about quick input and more about immersive control.

They do it with computers -- Air for the light-and-compact set, Pro for the worker bee -- why not phones?

I'm not sure why an annual release cycle is better either. Shorter cycles allow capitalizing on trends and bringing new features and technologies to market quicker.

I'm not presuming to say Apple is doing it "wrong," just that I can see at least some advantages to alternative approaches.

Because, for most people, ie. not people that peruse tech blogs everyday, an annual cycle is a good timeframe. My dad has an iPhone 4, and is shocked that there's already 2 newer models and a 3rd on the way. Having new products/lines come out every month or other month creates consumer hesitancy and apprehension when buying a product, as well as confusion and increased uncertainty, as well as buyers remorse when you hear the new thing you just bough got superceded so quickly. It's nice to have consistency and a reasonable timeframe between product launches. In my opinion it gives more respect to the consumer, and I'm not of the philosophy that polluting the market with as many products as possible is a good thing for the consumer or the industry as a whole. Creates lack of focus, lack of optimization, dilutes the product worth and ends up confusing the **** out of most people who are already more than confused about technology. I respect Apple's consistent attempts to streamline things from both a hardware and software perspective. I think it EMPOWERS people to do more, as they're more comfortable, and not the opposite. Then there's that whole paradox of choice thing that paralyzes people when they feel they have no idea what the best option for them would be. 

post #90 of 150

This is the business model of, "Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks." ...Just the opposite of Apple's M.O.

The problem with a device like this is that it's not going to attract new people to their lines, it will just displace sales of "smaller" screened devices like the Note. At this size though, why not just go to a 7" tablet? I think this is what Samsung is trying to accomplish; to boost their share of the "smartphone" market, since they can't seem to make a dent in the tablet market.

Apple's line of devices are all very distinct from each other both in size and functionality. Less choice equals less flustered customers. Although I can see Apple eventually making a larger iPod touch (5"-6"), but the iPhone is the perfect size to use as a phone and I don't suspect Apple will make it much larger, in fact, smaller with a non-retina screen is a more likely 2nd model for "emerging" markets.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #91 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This is really not a phone.  It caters to people that wants mobile internet the most.  But then why not buy an iPad mini with cellular?  The answer is simple.  AT&T, Verizon do not subsidize iPad mini because it has no phone function.  In essence people buy this instead of iPad mini because they can save hundreds of dollars.  But then if they don't have a separate phone, it is inconvenient to use this device to call because it is heavy and big. 

I think this is a strategy in Samsung to break into the stronghold of iPad market share by Apple. 

post #92 of 150
Even if it was the best device ever this is just fucking too big. How ridiculous people will look with this at their ear.
post #93 of 150
I think a lot of regulars aren't seeing this for it is. This is not a flagship device like the Galaxy S or Note lines.

These are large budget devices and everything I've read so far appears to be focused on very specific markets; markets where Apple has yet to venture.

Samsung has plenty of throw-it-at-the-wall-to-see-sticks-devices but I don't think the Megas fall into that category, at least not as much as many of their other devices.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #94 of 150

Hah. At this size, 6.5, I'd say it's not even a phablet but a small tablet with phone capability. Like Skype on a PC etc. lol.gif

post #95 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It's the elephant in the forum so we might as well get it out of the way
That's what she said. 1wink.gif

I've always thought Apple should do a series of TV commercials along the lines of "It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it."  But they are probably too prudish to do such a thing.  It would go over big in Europe and other more modern countries but it's perhaps a bit to risqué for the US.  

I'm envisioning a female lead who is new to a city and has a series of encounters with men during her day as she asks them for directions or whatever.  Each guy takes the opportunity to show off their giant, manly phones, each bigger than the one previous, each man bragging just a little bit more, each looking a little more pathetic than the one before them.  They all fail to help her in one way or another until she meets someone with an iPhone 5 who immediately is able to answer her questions and help her out in record time.  Then the tag line of course.  

post #96 of 150
So, including the Galaxy 2, original Note and Nexus, Samsung is currently offering mobile devices with the following screen sizes: 4.52", 4.65", 4.8", 5.3", 5.5", 5.8", 6.3", 7", 7.7", 8", 10.1", and 11.6".

Jeez, Samsung, what if I want a 5" device? And God help me if I want 9", I'm a full inch away from my nearest option. I don't think their innovation will be done till I can buy a Samsung product in any decimal point size between 4 and 12 inches. Because choice!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #97 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So I can use Bluetooth to play Angry Birds, check email and surf the Internet?

If you are doing those things in your car, you are breaking the law in most countries.  Even if you're not getting arrested, you are a terrible human being for doing that sort of thing in the first place.  

post #98 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

These aren't flagship models, they're just enormous.  Their screens are very low resolution for the size (1280x720 for the 6.3 in model and 960x540 for the 5.8 incher).  Beyond that, they have last generation processors and only 75% of the RAM of current flagships.

I think the 6.8" model also fails to support LTE.

That said, for the intended markets it may be exactly what they need. Large and low cost. I'd think it's for people that don't have a great deal of disposable income, therefore not being able to buy multiple devices. A really large phone that doubles as a tablet could be a low cost replacement for each, and perhaps a 'PC'.

Mmm... I think a phone that size is unwieldy... at the same time, I, at most make 5 calls per day -- even during the 3 grandkids' busy soccer season (3 teams with 2 practices and 1 game each per week). I would prefer to carry only an iPad (or an iPad Mini) with me everywhere -- instead of carrying my iPhone too. I would use the iPad for the infrequent phone call. This (an iPad) is certainly not my only computer -- but it is the most convenient for my use when out and about.

Along with the thought of wanting to carry something bigger (and more capable) than my iPhone, I posted the following to another forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You are correct about mobile payments... but I prefer to think of this as "personal purchasing power"...

Several years ago, KDDI the Japanese Telecom had a series of videos on their web site called "Knock! Knock! Ubiquitous".

The videos showed integration of mobile video devices containing: chat, telephony, GPS, mapping, etc, into the daily lives of average users... from buying lunch from a food truck; making ride reservations and purchasing "tickets" to an amusement (including transportation to the park); buying "virtual" real-time golf lessons with a pro (combining your TV as output and your mobile device as input for swing analysis; finding nearby store that had that certain product for sale, getting directions to the store, buying it and scheduling delivery...

I wish those videos were available today -- as every futuristic concept is coming true... I believe we are on the verge of becoming a moneyless society...

One thing that really stands out in my memory was the mobile device -- It was about the size of the new Sammy 6.3" phone but was used like a tablet (mostly in landscape mode). It was a completely transparent rectangle slab -- with, maybe, a thin black border on each end (1/4 inch wide at most).

It, and the services it provided, were ubiquitous!

IMO, Apple is the only company in the world with the financial resources to accomplish this -- and it already has most of the hardware and supporting infrastructure in place.

"[Purchasing] Power to the People!"

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #99 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung claims the new Galaxy Mega is "ultra-thin and portable enough to put in a pocket or hold in one hand" even with its 6.3- and 5.8-inch screen size options.

Put in a pocket. lol.gif

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #100 of 150
I'm surprised Samsung doesn't sell a pi phone with a screen size exactly equal to pi inches. Exactly, as in, infinitely precise.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #101 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I can fit 10" in my jeans.  LOL

percentage of guys who say they have 10" in their jeans?  >60%

percentage of guys who actually have 10" in their jeans? <2%

post #102 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

These aren't flagship models, they're just enormous.  Their screens are very low resolution for the size (1280x720 for the 6.3 in model and 960x540 for the 5.8 incher).  Beyond that, they have last generation processors and only 75% of the RAM of current flagships.

Indeed

The general consensus is that they will be cheaper than the Note.

I for one see nothing wrong with providing your customers with choice. Sadly Samsung seem to be one of the firm firms standing that is happy to provide niche phones.

post #103 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Even if it was the best device ever this is just fucking too big. How ridiculous people will look with this at their ear.

My casual observation is that the geeks who buy this thing won't call anyone because they would use it as a tablet 99.9% of the time. For that 0.01% of the time, they would look ridiculous.

If not looking ridiculous was a priority, they'd have an iPhone 5 like the beautiful people.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #104 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Now I have Kirsty MacColl's "In These Shoes?" stuck in my head.

I've got a powerful horse outside.

I thought I was the only Kirsty MacColl fan left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzoUdtMSH4

post #105 of 150
Market? NBA players. It seems to be proportionally proper for a 6' 6" - 7' tall individual and their hands...

Maybe?
post #106 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I've always thought Apple should do a series of TV commercials along the lines of "It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it."  But they are probably too prudish to do such a thing.  It would go over big in Europe and other more modern countries but it's perhaps a bit to risqué for the US.  

I'm envisioning a female lead who is new to a city and has a series of encounters with men during her day as she asks them for directions or whatever.  Each guy takes the opportunity to show off their giant, manly phones, each bigger than the one previous, each man bragging just a little bit more, each looking a little more pathetic than the one before them.  They all fail to help her in one way or another until she meets someone with an iPhone 5 who immediately is able to answer her questions and help her out in record time.  Then the tag line of course.  

I like this idea.

First guy: Has a pocketful of replaceable batteries. Shows the battery run down and he swaps the batteries. While swapping he drops the phone and the screen cracks as all the removable parts fall out. Eventually he gets the new battery inserted. He starts the phone and watches the battery drain.

She sees all this as she is recording a movie while he is in the background. She then edits the movie with iMovie.

Second guy: Has a pocketful of removable storage. Fumbles in his pocket for the right SD card. Finally finds the right SD card and inserts into phone. Immediately, the screen crashes and it becomes obvious the phone has a virus.

She quickly loads the same app to her phone from iCloud.

Third guy: Asks her for directions. He can't find his destination on his cosmic-sized phone.

She asks Siri for directions. She then asks Siri for movie times and reserves a table at a restaurant.
post #107 of 150
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It's the elephant in the forum so we might as well get it out of the way

That's what she said. 1wink.gif

I like it!

Aside from the ad idea. I am especially interested in your characterization "Europe and other more modern countries".

post #108 of 150
I'm afraid Apple needs to follow suit here.

how about for the next iphone:

iPhone 6 4inch
iPhone 6 5inch
iPhone 6 6inch

IT NEEDS TO COME IN 3 SIZES!!!!
post #109 of 150
Quote:

Steve was talking about major directions, not minor tweaks. If the customer wants a 6.3" phone, why not give it to him? It is otherwise the same as a 4.5" phone, just, um, bigger.

I want a 5.789" phone and not a micron too big or small. Please Sammy, make it for me.

Look, I believe Apple will offer a 5"er in addition to the 4". but they aren't gonna make 20 different sizes.
Quote:

If you are doing those things in your car, you are breaking the law in most countries.  Even if you're not getting arrested, you are a terrible human being for doing that sort of thing in the first place.  

Chill. Jk= just kidding. I hate people who drive with a cell phone in his/her hand.
post #110 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If not looking ridiculous was a priority, they'd have an iPhone 5 like the beautiful people.

Does this look ridiculous?

That's how I make phone calls.

post #111 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I've got a powerful horse outside.

I thought I was the only Kirsty MacColl fan left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzoUdtMSH4

I was lucky enough to work for her shortly after she had finished Tropical Brainstorm.

IMO she really was one of the best singers of her generation and producing some of her best work.

post #112 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm... I think a phone that size is unwieldy... at the same time, I, at most make 5 calls per day -- even during the 3 grandkids' busy soccer season (3 teams with 2 practices and 1 game each per week). I would prefer to carry only an iPad (or an iPad Mini) with me everywhere -- instead of carrying my iPhone too. I would use the iPad for the infrequent phone call. This (an iPad) is certainly not my only computer -- but it is the most convenient for my use when out and about.

I don't think we should look at this budget phablet from our PoV. Europe as a whole seems to be much heavier as texters than talkers on cellphones. If they do use the phone to make a call there is always headphones. I fall into this category. I can't recall the last time I put the phone up to my ear. It just feels dirty and awkward to use that way.

Think about it. Say you live in an impoverish country or city where unemployment is above 15%. You don't have the subsidies like you have in the US to help reduce upfront costs and you don't have LTE at all. You can afford a mediocre smartphone -or- a mediocre tablet -or- a cheap PC. You do feel you need to the option to call people in a pinch and do want it for using the internet but you aren't some power user that needs to compile your latest 'Hello World" app or edit videos. Which one do you buy?The 5.8" Galaxy Mega might be the perfect fit. Apple certainly don't offer anything for that market.

post #113 of 150
Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post
I'm afraid Apple needs to follow suit here.
how about for the next iphone:
iPhone 6 4inch
iPhone 6 5inch
iPhone 6 6inch

IT NEEDS TO COME IN 3 SIZES!!!!

Apple "needs" nothing. The iPhone "needs" nothing.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #114 of 150
Quote:

Sorry, I don't get it. People get phones with big screens because they want big screens not because they are trying to be macho.

Would you malign someone who decides to buy a 19" laptop rather than a 13.3" ? Or someone with an iPad rather than an ipad mini?

post #115 of 150
You NEED a sense of humor.

There was no humor in that post. I fail to see how this makes any sense.

post #116 of 150
Quote:

There was no humor in that post. I fail to see how this makes any sense.

hello Sheldon...

post #117 of 150
Originally Posted by hungover View Post
People get phones with big screens because they want big screens not because they are trying to be macho.

That's a generalization. If you're anti-Apple, for example, you don't have a choice.

Would you malign someone who decides to buy a 19" laptop rather than a 13.3" ?

Yes, if the moron wants to try to use it on the plane next to me. 19" isn't a laptop.

post #118 of 150
Quote:

Does this look ridiculous?

That's how I make phone calls.

Yes it does when you out in public talking to yourself.
post #119 of 150
Quote:

Yes, if the moron wants to try to use it on the plane next to me. 19" isn't a laptop.

"Moron" for buying a 19" portable computer or "moron" for using it on a plane?

post #120 of 150
Quote:

"Moron" for buying a 19" portable computer or "moron" for using it on a plane?

or for sitting next to Sheldon in the first place?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display