or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next iPad mini

Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next...

post #1 of 140
The bulk of Apple's 2013 product pipeline will likely launch later than many market watchers expect, according to one insider, due to a variety of complex development challenges associated this year's anticipated iPhones and new iPad mini.

iProducts

Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a strong track record in revealing Apple's future product plans, shared a research note with AppleInsider on Thursday that suggested Apple's so-called "iPhone 5S," a rumored low-cost iPhone, and a second-generation iPad mini will all launch later than market consensus expects.

These apparent delays are driven by a variety of issues, according to Kuo. For the "iPhone 5S," he said Apple plans to include a fingerprint sensor that poses a number of technical challenges.An "iPhone 5S" fingerprint sensor, Retina display for next iPad mini, and ultrathin plastic casing for low-cost iPhone are expected to cause production challenges for Apple.

"Apple has to work out how to prevent interference from the black and white coating material under the cover glass," he said. "Apple is the first to attempt this function and technology, and time is needed to find the right coating material, which will likely affect iPhone 5S shipments."

Kuo has previously claimed that Apple plans to integrate a fingerprint sensor beneath the home button the next iPhone. This new technology would allow users to bypass password entry, and could also allow Apple to integrate secure e-wallet functionality.

Fingerprint

Another hold-up for the next iPhone, according to Kuo, is the development of iOS 7, Apple's anticipated next-generation mobile operating system. The analyst said Thursday that more time is likely to be needed for software development and testing, particularly with respect to the fingerprint scanning functions that will be included with the software.

As for the rumored low-cost iPhone said to be in the works at Apple, Kuo said Apple faces challenges with the casing on the device. He expects that the low-end iPhone will have a plastic casing that will be slimmer than such casings regularly are.Analyst Ming-chi Kuo correctly predicted the bulk of Apple's 2012 product lineup. This year, he sees iPhone and iPad sales shrinking to single-digit growth in the third quarter because of apparent behind-the-scenes production delays.

"The slimmer casing may make it more difficult to ramp up production yields of coating and surface treatment, and could slow down the shipment timetable," he said.

Finally, Kuo said the "iPad mini 2" faces challenges with its display panels, as he expects Apple will opt to include a high-resolution Retina display with the second-generation device. This is expected to make the device more difficult to manufacture, which could delay shipments.

As a result of these issues, Kuo said it's likely that Apple will see single-digit growth in iPhone and iPad shipments in the third quarter of 2013. That would be well below the market consensus, which sees Apple growing its sales by between 30 and 40 percent with the introductions of new products.

2013 Predictions
KGI Securities' previous roadmap, shown here, called for earlier launches of Apple's "iPhone 5S" and "iPad mini 2."

Last year, Kuo was the first to detail a number of major changes to Apple's product lineup, including the discontinuation of the 17-inch MacBook Pro, and that Apple would continue to sell the legacy MacBook Pro with disc drive alongside a new, thinner model inspired by the design of the MacBook Air.

Kuo also accurately forecast Apple's entire fall product lineup, including unexpected products like a redesigned iPod nano and tweaked fourth-generation iPad with faster processor and Lightning connector. The analyst also revealed months before the new, thinner iMacs were announced that the redesigned all-in-one desktops would be in short supply. Availability of the iMacs proved to be so constrained that Apple experienced supply issues well into 2013.
post #2 of 140
Ahh, the stock is starting to rebound... time for some made up bad news from some ANALyst to bring it back down. A$$holes.
post #3 of 140
Nice. It seems we have some holidays and rest of crazy rumors. This sooth my soul.
post #4 of 140

Or it's going to come out later simply because the other rumors were baseless and wrong?  Naaaah that couldn't be it.

post #5 of 140
The big investors havent collected enough AAPL and want to cheat more from those innocent investors ? Come on !!!
post #6 of 140
Originally Posted by ytseman3 View Post
A$$holes.

That character change is particularly apt in this situation.

post #7 of 140

I'd rather see Apple delay the launch for a few months than push off major changes to iOS until iOS 8 next year.  If Apple can outperform expectations in their products this year, that is the best way to launch the stock price back up.  Financial tricks like buybacks, stock splits, and preferred shares are just smoke and mirrors to drive the price up temporarily.

post #8 of 140
This guy is just talking out of his arse, he has no sources. Probably planning to short Apple stock and make a bundle.
post #9 of 140
Yet another analyst. The fact is, analysts are nothing more than carnival fortune tellers. They're just less accurate and not as much fun.
post #10 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I'd rather see Apple delay the launch for a few months than push off major changes to iOS until iOS 8 next year.

We don't even know that they really are "delaying" anything.  All we have are baseless rumors making claims that then another rumor comes about to claim the previous rumors are wrong.

post #11 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

This guy is just talking out of his arse, he has no sources. Probably planning to short Apple stock and make a bundle.

On the surface this particular analyst sounds to be more reliable and thus better connected than some others that AI has quoted. 

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #12 of 140
Delays of Apple products until later this year?

My bank account says THANK YOU!
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #13 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I'd rather see Apple delay the launch for a few months than push off major changes to iOS until iOS 8 next year.

I've heard rumours that, due to these delays, iOS 8 will be coming out this year, and iOS 7 will release in 2014.
post #14 of 140
Sweet! This means everything is on schedule if we're getting rumours of delays and issues.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #15 of 140
There may or may not be hardware issues delaying launch. But there most definitely are software issues. IOS7 is seriously behind schedule, as many developers know. Apple is scrambling to maje up time before WWDC. By now, there's no almost no pt launching any new hardware before IOS7 is ready.
post #16 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a strong track record in revealing Apple's future product plans,

If you're going to claim that someone has a good track record, maybe you should provide some evidence? Historically, the only time Kuo has been accurate is when s/he predicted something that everyone else was already expecting.

How about some real ratings of analysts? You know, based on data?

Kuo predicted that the iPod Touch was EOL's about 7 months ago (this was only a month after predicting that it would receive 'its biggest upgrade ever'. Hasn't happened. S/he predicted that the MacBook Pro product line would be completely eliminated almost a year ago (replaced with "the new Macbook". Or maybe the prediction just 3 days before last year's WWDC that Apple would be introduction a new laptop called simply 'MacBook' with retina display which would be sold in addition to the MBP and MBA.

S/he did 'predict' the end of the 17" MBP and the introduction of the iPad Mini, but I can't find any references to those 'predictions' until well after they had become pretty standard industry knowledge.

Thats pretty much the pattern of most of the analysts. The 'predictions' are mostly false. However, eventually when it starts to leak that there's a new product, they ALL jump onto the bandwagon and then use that to proclaim how smart they are.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #17 of 140
True innovation has its challenges. It is not surprising that schedules may be altered from time-to-time. What Apple is trying to do is far more complex than slapping on a larger display. How an unannounced product whose previous generation shipped in Apple's Q4 or Q1 last year can be "late" is another issue.
post #18 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

There may or may not be hardware issues delaying launch. But there most definitely are software issues. IOS7 is seriously behind schedule, as many developers know. Apple is scrambling to maje up time before WWDC. By now, there's no almost no pt launching any new hardware before IOS7 is ready.

Sure. Apple has NEVER introduced new hardware without having a new version of the software available at launch. /s
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #19 of 140

This article almost spends more time on Kuo's credentials as a fortune-teller (aka, stock market analyst) than on the rumor itself.

Correctly guessing last weeks lottery numbers does not increase the odds that I will correctly guess next weeks lottery numbers.  Ditto for Kuo's supposed prescience.

post #20 of 140
As an AAPL owner, I grimace at the shipping speculation, but better 'ship when it's ready' rather than ship too soon and have it be flawed or recalled.
post #21 of 140

So this guy doesn't expect a Mac Pro redesign in 2013? 1oyvey.gif

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #22 of 140
This is bad news for Apple. I can't believe their products will be missing a made up timeframe. I forget, again, when did Apple actually state the products to be a available? They didn't? Lets make up a date.
post #23 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It would be stupid for Apple to launch several updated iOS models without an new iOS version. Two new iPhone's, iPad and iPad mini without a new version of iOS? Yeah that would be a great idea.

Perhaps why there's the reports APPLE redirected some OS people over to the iOS side of things?

post #24 of 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

This is bad news for Apple. I can't believe their products will be missing a made up timeframe. I forget, again, when did Apple actually state the products to be a available? They didn't? Lets make up a date.

But...but...this guy has a "strong track record"!!  How dare you question his baseless rumors that debunk other baseless rumors!

post #25 of 140

It's better to delay these products to bring solid new features to the table than to release them on time with simply a faster processor and some other routine, boring spec bumps.

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #26 of 140
Stock slide right on time, here we gooooooooooo......yaaayyyyyy
post #27 of 140
I don't see fingerprint scanning coming till iPhone 6, but then again, I'm not an analyst with a track record.
post #28 of 140

Would be interesting if they started keeping track of the analyst's accuracy and assigned a rating to them; an Analyst Accuracy Rating - AAR. For instance, "Digitimes - AAR 0.01, states that the next iPhone will be made of pure Unicorn Extract," or "Jim Dalrymple - AAR 9.75, says 'NO.'" Might help put rumors into context.

post #29 of 140
Realistically, this is great news! The best thing for Apple right now, including its stock, is for the public and investors to get the perception that Apple is innovative! Now, I no doubt already know how innovative of a company Apple is and continues to be, but the negativity surrounding Apple lately surely has a lot of people worried about its future ability to innovate. I would much prefer that the products and OS upgrades are delayed, because that is evidence of Apple trying to "get it right." Remember when OS X 10.5 Leopard was delayed because of resources allocated to the iPhone? A simple few month delay yielded argumentatively the greatest and most game-changing product of the past few decades!

The fingerprint scanner, if rumors are true, would enable Apple to again leapfrog the competition. Remember how people kept pegging the iOS passcode, either 4 digit or more complex, as being outdated and not nearly as good as Android's connect the dots passcode? Remember how Android introduced facial recognition technology that ultimately was woefully inadequate because a simple photograph of the person held in front of the camera was enough to bypass the "secure" nature of this "breakthrough" and "innovative" technology? Fingerprint sensing is a major milestone for a consumer electronics product! No more passwords, no worry about security, fingerprint sensing is the perfect example of "it just works!" I hope the rumors are true!

As for iOS 7, I'm sure Jony Ive has done his due diligence in carefully crafting key interface changes that will result in a much better and updated OS. It probably took some time for him to do so after Forstall was fired, and he probably inherited projects that were under development, and might have had to scrap them or alter them to fit his vision. This undoubtedly takes time, but the result ends up being greater! Apple shouldn't focus on shipping another product out the door, they should focus on shipping an even better product. While keeping the same case design and overall materials design allows for manufacturing efficiencies, it means Apple will have to focus more on additional software features or hardware that can be added to the existing design, like fingerprint scanners. I think this is actually great news for Apple, because it means that the company is firmly footed in its principles of shipping great products, and not willing to ship half-baked products simply to please short-sighted investors.
post #30 of 140
Quote:

An iMac that took forever to come out and a rMBP that has seen several price drops because it was overpriced and underpowered. A price drop mid cycle by Apple and added drops by authorized dealers. When was the last time Apple had to drop the price of a product mid cycle? Issue like these are the reason for the drop in stock.
lol.gif Wall Street doesn't care about Macs. They care about one thing: how many iPhones Apple sells.
post #31 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

All these stories of delays, execution problems, etc are problematic and show signs of a company that is becoming more reactive than proactive; one that rested on its laurels and is now scrambling to address the competitive landscape.

How silly.  Let's look at just some stories from the last couple of years under Steve's reign.

Leopard will be delayed!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/12/apple_delays_leopard_release_until_october

http://appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/12/apples_leopard_still_plagued_by_lengthy_bug_list

http://appleinsider.com/articles/07/03/23/digitimes_apple_may_delay_leopard_release_till_october

Oh wait! No it won't!

Apple TV launch delayed!

Oh wait! No it won't!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/07/02/12/briefly_apple_denies_report_of_apple_tv_delays

Apple to delay shipments of 17" MacBook Pro!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/06/11/08/apple_delays_shipments_of_new_17_inch_macbook_pros

2-4 week delays for iPhone

http://appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/30/apple_sells_iphone_online_with_2_4_week_delay

Final Cut Server shipping after lengthy delay

http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/04/08/apple_says_final_cut_server_shipping_after_lengthy_delay

Apple TV "Take 2" software delayed

http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/30/apple_delays_apple_tv_take_2_software_by_a_week_or_two

iPhone 3G shortages causing delays

http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/17/iphone_3g_shortages_causing_major_delays_for_att_businesses

Chip complex delaying Apple's new iMac line

http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/26/chip_complex_delaying_apples_new_imac_line_says_analyst

Apple delays Entry MacBook Air until after Thanksgiving

http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/11/05/apple_delays_entry_macbook_air_till_after_thanksgiving

Steve Jobs confesses to poorly planned MobileMe Launch

http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/05/steve_jobs_confesses_to_poorly_planned_mobileme_launch

Should I go on?  I can post many more of these if you wanted.  People like yourself seem to have next to zero historical perspective.

Edited by Applelunatic - 4/11/13 at 10:04am
post #32 of 140
@jdnc123. Enough with your rambling. Only the iMac was constrained. As for delays, wasn't the white iPhone delayed during Jobs tenure? Also, what other delays, I don't remember Apple announcing a ship date for these future products.

Can you also source Foxconn's numbers. They haven't announced anything yet either. More FUD from analysts and trolls.
post #33 of 140
Quote:

Who is really growing earnings besides Samsung? And who's to say they will be able to keep it up now that they're on top and the market is becoming saturated.
post #34 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

@jdnc123. Enough with your rambling. Only the iMac was constrained. As for delays, wasn't the white iPhone delayed during Jobs tenure? Also, what other delays, I don't remember Apple announcing a ship date for these future products.

Can you also source Foxconn's numbers. They haven't announced anything yet either. More FUD from analysts and trolls.

As I posted right above you there have been numerous delays, supply contraint issues, admitted missteps, etc. under Steve Jobs as CEO. jdnc is nothing more than a poor troll.

post #35 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

It's better to delay these products to bring solid new features to the table than to release them on time with simply a faster processor and some other routine, boring spec bumps.
Amazing how "spec bumps" from other companies = innovation, yet when they come from Apple they're boring or "incremental".
post #36 of 140
Aka we are covering up how we said things were coming in April and June by claiming bogus issues are delaying things which means its not our fault. Even though it is cause we were making stuff up all along

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #37 of 140
Quote:

You quoted it, but missed the point.  All of those delays in the past when the competition was light years behind didn't hurt sales that much.  Now the delays are hurting sales.  Historical context is great, but if you think Apple has the lead it once did on the competition and that delays won't hurt it more now than they have in the past, well I think that is silly.  I am looking at things from an investor perspective, not product lover (although I love the products).  The company needs to grow earnings for the stock to have any chance to go higher.  I don't see how that is possible this year myself.  Listen, even many of the most ardent supporters have commented that the UI is outdated and many have said that they would like a larger screen (not absurd, but larger).  I want a larger screen iPhone.  Why doesn't the company want to give consumers what they want.  I need a new phone, but I'm not going to buy same size IP5 only to have larger screen IP6 released next year.  I'll hold off.

I didn't miss any point.  And, yes, things like the iPhone 3G supply constraints did lose them sales because customers could not buy new model iPhones.  They were being turned away from AT&T because of it.

You were making a poor attempt at trolling and got called on it.  The issue Apple has faced are no worse than they always have with both software and hardware being delayed, supply constraints for weeks on end for new product launches and reactive apologies to poor launches of services like MobileMe.  Also, you bringing up larger screen iPhones is silly when Steve Jobs was adamant against larger screen iPhones for the longest time. Same with a small iPad. That you try to lump all these things as being Tim Cook issues is nothing but nonsense.  Try harder with your trolling next time.

post #38 of 140
@gatorguy - I agree with you. In fact, I am using this analyst report as the final straw in my decision to buy a T-Mobile iPhone5. I figure that I just might get 5 months use out of it before buying into the next version. 1smile.gif
post #39 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So this guy doesn't expect a Mac Pro redesign in 2013? 1oyvey.gif

Further than that, Kuo predicted that the MBP was being discontinued in June of 2012. At about the same time, he stated that Apple would be introducing a retina MacBook (distinct from the MBA and MBP lines) in June, 2012. His track record is not very good. In fact, I can't find a single example where he predicted anything which later came true - other than the times where he as 'piling on' to rumors that everyone else was throwing around.
Quote:

It would be stupid for Apple to launch several updated iOS models without an new iOS version. Two new iPhone's, iPad and iPad mini without a new version of iOS? Yeah that would be a great idea.

Yeah, stupid. Apple would NEVER introduce new hardware without a new OS to go with it. /s
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #40 of 140
Quote:

Steve is dead.  Move on.  The company has lost value since Tim took over.  That much is fact.

That's funny because the facts don't bear you out. When Tim took over the market cap was $348 Billion. It is right now over $408 billion.  Now unless you use some sort of different math than the rest of the world the figure from today is $60 billion larger than the figure when he took over. Didn't actually expect me to look that up, did you?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next iPad mini