or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next iPad mini
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next... - Page 4

post #121 of 140

Oh, and here's Apple "resting on it's laurels" in 2012, which just so happens to have been the most aggressive product release year yet in Apple's history. Not that you would guess that from listening to all the OCD types with no context of history. 2012 Saw:

 

 

- Completely redesigned 15" MBP with highest resolution laptop  of that size in the world

- Completely redesigned 13" MBP with highest resolution laptop of that size in the world

- New iPad with Retina display- again, massive achievement

- Completely redesigned iPod touch

- Completely redesigned iPod nano

- Completely redesigned iMac- most significant change in years

- Completely redesigned iPhone- 1st change in screen size/aspect ratio since inception

- iPad mini- Completely new iPad line

- 4th generation iPad- fastest refresh in their history

- refreshed Macbook Airs

- refreshed classic MBPs

- refreshed Mac mini

- refreshed Apple TV

- Biggest Apple TV interface change in its history

- New iTunes- most significant update since it first launched a decade ago

- New iOS appstore- biggest update since it 1st launched in 2008

- iOS 6- major release of iOS

- OSX 10.8- major release of OSX

- New maps- launched a completely new mapping product from the ground up, not an insignificant accomplishment

- Transition to new dock connector + cable for all products, 1st change in the last decade

- A6 and A6X chip- custom designed chip that has set new benchmarks for performance and has gotten rave reviews from anyone who knows anything about chips

- significant updates to all OSX/iOS apps

 

Name me another year with this much activity/products/updates? Yeah, didn't think so. 

post #122 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There's a reason Apple still destroys all customer satisfaction surveys

 

Apple's insistence on regimented support procedures have caused me inconvenience in the past (like being forced to lug a Mac Pro tower to a Genius Bar appointment for a failed optical drive), but today removed any lingering doubt I may have had about the quality of their support.

 

I called them about an Apple TV update problem. The guy knew about the issue, either from experience or documentation, and knew the fix. It involved updating over WiFi instead of hard wire. Left to my own devices, I never would have thought to try that. They saved me the cost of replacing a broken window and an ATV with glass embedded in it.

post #123 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleistheway View Post

The fingerprint scanner, if rumors are true, would enable Apple to again leapfrog the competition. Remember how people kept pegging the iOS passcode, either 4 digit or more complex, as being outdated and not nearly as good as Android's connect the dots passcode? Remember how Android introduced facial recognition technology that ultimately was woefully inadequate because a simple photograph of the person held in front of the camera was enough to bypass the "secure" nature of this "breakthrough" and "innovative" technology? Fingerprint sensing is a major milestone for a consumer electronics product! No more passwords, no worry about security, fingerprint sensing is the perfect example of "it just works!" I hope the rumors are true!

It better be the mother of all fingerprint readers because they have a poor showing in the past as security products, as has all biometrics.

http://www.zdnet.com/sweet-bypass-for-student-finger-scanner-1339306878/
post #124 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I highly doubt that developers know jack about iOS 7 at this point. So maybe it is behind, maybe it isn't.

You're clearly not a developer and farting thru your mouth. Why say something you don't understand with such certainty?
post #125 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post


It better be the mother of all fingerprint readers because they have a poor showing in the past as security products, as has all biometrics.

http://www.zdnet.com/sweet-bypass-for-student-finger-scanner-1339306878/


Why do you say stuff that is patently wrong? Furthermore, why say stuff that you couldn't possibly know to be true? Do you hit <send> without thinking or do you think, "Others like Jrgosta, Applelunatic and Charlituna get away with writing crap and so I can too?"

post #126 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

"Could care less" has been used for over 3 decades in common use. Get over it. The English language is not based on rules set by grammarians and grammar nazis, but by how it's used by the average writers and speakers of the language.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

"Didn't your English teacher teach you the proper use of shit?"

 

You're right.  That sounds like nothing but praise.


Huh?

 

Where do you find the words (let alone the entire phrase) "could care less" in the sentence "Didn't your English teacher teach you the proper use of shit?"

I was not writing about the expression "could care less" at all!

post #127 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

And absolutely true. It's full of nothing but horse-shit, attacking Cook's personality, making platonic claims pulled from your ass such as "nobody believes in him", lazy statements such as "resting on its laurels", "struggling to address competitive landscape", that mean nothing. Your entire post is clear butthurt about the stock price, and nothing else. You fail to mention any real missteps, besides imagined failings and making mountains out of molehills, where there was much larger setbacks and screw-ups under Jobs. You're so obsessed over the analysts, and what they think, and are unable to grasp the bigger picture, and basically applauding Samsung for releasing a shitload of phone models and suggesting Apple just needs to mindlessly duplicate that strategy, something they have never, ever done. You keep bitching about "missing earnings" while Apple's earnings are by far the best it's ever seen, and the world has ever seen. That doesn't matter to you, because your precious analysts pulled some other numbers out of their asses, so therefore Apple fails. Maybe try to focus on the actual numbers, instead of obsessing about analysts and expectations, which in the big picture mean absolutely nothing. Or, preferably, go buy products from another company because it seems you have absolutely no faith in Apple either way. Instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt, you see fit to do the opposite.

 

There's a reason Apple still destroys all customer satisfaction surveys, has the best selling phone in the world, best selling tablet, best selling ultrabook, best selling all-in-one, most successful appstore, etc- by reading your post, one would think they're failing or something. You know how they got to the position they're in? By not listening to ignorant people like you that can only see 2 feet in front of them. It's no different when Jobs was around- people like you would be attacking him day in and day out, mocking every single decision he took, every direction he believed in, and giving their "advice" as to what Apple "should do" to be successful- ironically, the more Apple ignores noise like you, the more successful they've become. 


Is this the same Slurpy who brainlessly mocked Apple on every front roughly 1200 posts ago?

post #128 of 140

I believe Apple are behind, I mean we are FOUR MONTHS in to 2013 and **** all has been released from them, maybe their 2013 line up is invisible like the PS4!
 

post #129 of 140
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post
Is this the same Slurpy who brainlessly mocked Apple on every front roughly 1200 posts ago?

 

Are you saying that in roughly 253 posts you'll start to actually post pro-Apple comments?

 

I can't wait for that day.


Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post
I believe Apple are behind…

 

BEHIND. WHOM?!


…I mean we are FOUR MONTHS in to 2013 and **** all has been released from them…

 

Your point being what? Are you pretending this has never happened to Apple in their history? Are you pretending this has never happened to any company in any of their respective histories? 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #130 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you saying that in roughly 253 posts you'll start to actually post pro-Apple comments?

I can't wait for that day.

BEHIND. WHOM?!

Your point being what? Are you pretending this has never happened to Apple in their history? Are you pretending this has never happened to any company in any of their respective histories? 

Don't you remember that under Jobs watch, Apple created 15 new markets and released a new product every other week!
post #131 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post


 >>It's no different when Jobs was around>>


Never once did Steve Jobs lose $250 billion in value from the company.  Not once.  Only Tim has done that, so yes Tim bears the brunt of the criticism.  

From 8/2008 to 1/2009, Apple stock dropped from 176 to 82.
post #132 of 140
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
From 8/2008 to 1/2009, Apple stock dropped from 176 to 82.

 

Was that $250 billion in market cap?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #133 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post


 >>It's no different when Jobs was around>>


Never once did Steve Jobs lose $250 billion in value from the company.  Not once.  Only Tim has done that, so yes Tim bears the brunt of the criticism.  

From 8/2008 to 1/2009, Apple stock dropped from 176 to 82.

Yes, but the NASDAQ dropped by a roughly similar percentage, ~50%.

 

Quite opposite to what's been happening with the market in the past six months.

post #134 of 140

Interesting thread, indeed. here's my $.02:

 

Apple was speculatively bubbled by margin hogs and then imploded by well-intentioned profit-takers and ruthless Wall Street shorts. It's that simple and has little or nothing to do with the realities of Tim's leadership.

 

Apple's delayed launches and product contraints (where they actually exist) have plenty of precedence and may currently be attributed, in part, to a) a new SVP of Operations who is not named Tim Cook;  b) strained talent resources and trying to do too much at once and; c) the fact that Tim would prefer inventory shortages to inventory glut. He's noted for expressing his strong disdain for keeping inventory. With such tight inventory tolerances, product shortages are an inevitable price to pay. 

 

And yes, I did just pull all of that out my @&&.

 

Seriously, though, in 2013 I would like to see product updates and launches staggered across all four quarters rather than clustered in the second half of the year.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #135 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Wow, just because someone is great at something doesn't mean they're perfect.

 

I wasn't being critical. I'm saying if there are supply chain issues, it would be in spite of great expertise in that area, and likely due to factors other than Tim Cook's ability.

post #136 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

 

 

 

Wow, what a substantive set of responses, guys. /s

 

What the heck is wrong with someone expressing an opinion that there may be -- indeed, the market must strongly believe there are given $250B in wealth that has been wiped out -- management problems?

 

Also, compared to the absolutely nasty things that dozens of folks in this forum -- including some of you above, and even me, occasionally -- regularly say about corporate leaders such as Ballmer, Brin, Schmidt (I could go on), what gives you the right to swat down someone who, in my opinion, is offering a possibly reasonable (but granted, speculative and somewhat arrogant) criticism of Cook and his team? To paraphrase one of you above, do you run billion dollar businesses? And what makes you guys think that products are the only metric by which Apple's management should be judged, and stock prices are not relevant? 

 

If you have an objection you should counter what he has to say (in fairness, Slurpy revised his original post), rather than the petulant, knee-jerk responses I see above.

Wow, I didn't know someone will swat me for asking a person who seem to know everything about righting the wrongs at Apple.

 

Apple products are within the control of Apple but the stock price can be subjected to manipulation, proof? I don't have any but I am still allowed my speculation or rather response as to what is happening to Apple share price. (they did one on google but it is not featured week after week as what they did to Apple)

 

Go to market watch.com and they have been carrying the story of 'what Apple didn't tell you" ever since this piece came out. And if this is not an attempt at stock manipulation or perhaps out of their goodness in their heart that consumers should be warned to the bad things Apple is doing.

 

Btw anything wrong to question him as to his success in running a billion dollar company?

post #137 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


Why do you say stuff that is patently wrong? Furthermore, why say stuff that you couldn't possibly know to be true? Do you hit <send> without thinking or do you think, "Others like Jrgosta, Applelunatic and Charlituna get away with writing crap and so I can too?"

Prove me wrong! I posted evidence of fingerprint scanners that can easily be bypassed. What do you have? It's long been a problem with biometric security devices. So where is your evidence? Either put up or crawl back under the rock from which you came... Just because you mouth off like a spoiled little 8 year old doesn't make you right. Do you even look stuff up and find out the real truth? Or do you think that just because you claim something is wrong it makes it so? Show me. Either convince me with 3rd party evidence or acknowledge you're an idiot with nothing to contribute.

 

Want more?

http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-europe-06/bh-eu-06-Kiviharju/bh-eu-06-kiviarju.pdf

 

Fingerprint security is a joke. It's not a secure way to lock down your phone.

post #138 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

So you are buying the stock hand over fist because you think its a good value and Tim Cook can do no wrong?

We'll find out in a couple weeks if the analysts were correct that sales were slowing via the supply chain check and whether Tim looks like a moron by telling people not to rely on those checks.  I'm guessing its the latter.  I think he's out of touch.

I would like a larger display iPhone.  I know many people that would.  Just because you don't doesn't mean others wouldn't buy them.  I will be shocked if Apple doesn't agree with me and release a larger screen next year.

Consensus estimates are above the guidance the company gave.  Will they miss their own earnings three times in a row?  Unlikely, but they will very likely miss consensus estimates this quarter and next.  Tim is in a bad spot that Jobs played games and always lowballed so analysts haven't adjusted to the new reality and continue to think Apple will beat its own guidance.

I am amazed as the lack of basic finance knowledge.  If you want to buy a widget business that costs $1 million and you put in your own money for half and borrow the other half, you have a capitalization that is 50% equity and 50% debt.  Lets say you immediately take the company public, so the market cap is 500k and you have 500k of debt,  Did the value of the business you bought for 1 million just drop to 500k because that is the market cap?  Of course not, the value of the business is still $1 million.,  All companies choose to capitalize themselves differently.  The only way to normalize things is if you look at enterprise value, which is mkt cap less net debt.  That tells you what a business is worth by looking at capitalization on an apples-to-apples basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Here is an idea.  Use your brain.  Get your calculator out, find a site that tells you Apple's market cap.  Then look at their most recent 10Q or last press release and determine how much debt and cash they reported.  Then get out your HP12C and take market cap, add debt, then subtract cash and tell me what you get.  It might take you 3-5 minutes to do all of the above. 

I didn't say it was the only metric of success, you are putting those words in my mouth.  It is a metric and the most definitive metric to determine the value of a company.  I said Apple had decreased in value under Tim Cook.  It has.  All while its competitors have doubled in value and the markets are at all-time highs.  

You keep referring to EV as the metric which Apple should be measured. Are you planning a takeover? EV, calculated in the manner you are using, is for when you're planning on BUYING A COMPANY.

That's why you add in debt and subtract cash from your valuation. Why?

Because if you're paying market price for a company, you also have to add in the debts a company has, as you will now be on the hook for those. If a company has a market price of $100 and has $50 in debt, the purchase will really cost you $150, making that the amount you value the company at.

When buying a company though, you're also getting all its cash, which is included in the market price. So if the same company has $75 in its checkbook, you'll get $75. Which means that $150 purchase really only costs you $75, since you'll pocket the cash.

So if you're planning on purchasing Apple, Inc., then this value makes sense. For other purposes, it does not make sense. In the real world, why would having cash (or liquid assets, which is what a lot of Apple's "cash" really is) ever be a bad thing or reduce the value of the company?

I think your point would be stronger if you were arguing that Apple's market cap and share price are being inflated by cash, and that "Apple" (the perception of future success, cash flows, etc) is worth even less than what people think. But that's perception, and while perception is often reality, it is often illogical and irrational.
post #139 of 140

If this chart is accurate; there is no reason to buy Apple shares until the the 3rd quarter - September/October.  I was going start adding on now but it too early.  Just hoping they will have one product announcement a month till then even it is small; it will stabilize the shares.  Then need one for June, July, August!

post #140 of 140

 

 

 

 

Huawei Ascend P6 just got released.  Looks like an Apple next generation iPhone 6 with 4.7" screen.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next iPad mini