or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next iPad mini
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next... - Page 3

post #81 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

There may or may not be hardware issues delaying launch. But there most definitely are software issues. IOS7 is seriously behind schedule, as many developers know. Apple is scrambling to maje up time before WWDC. By now, there's no almost no pt launching any new hardware before IOS7 is ready.

I highly doubt that developers know jack about iOS 7 at this point. So maybe it is behind, maybe it isn't.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #82 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Did I say market cap?  I said the value of Apple.  Do you know how to calculate the value of any company, including Apple?  Its called enterprise value, which is market cap less net debt.  Go look that up and tell me what you find.  I'll repeat my statement as I know I am 100% correct that the value of Apple has decreased under Tim Cook.  It is fact.  

 

Maybe you simply don't understand company valuation.  If someone wanted to buy Apple would they pay the market cap?  Nope, they'd pay the enterprise value.  Company A has mkt cap of $100 and debt of $0; Company B has market cap of $50 and debt of $60. No cash at either.  Which company is worth more?  In the real world its B, in your fantasy land its A.  Go read a couple finance books before you respond and make yourself look even sillier.

You are confusing issues here. And being arrogant about it.

 

1) The market cap -- i.e., the value of a company's stock including its cash -- is a hugely relevant number. It is what the company is worth to its equity holders, and when people talk of 'value of a company' this is the number that they often mean. So it's quite reasonable that someone misunderstood that when you did not clarify or define it in your original post.

 

2) As an equity holder, assuming that I think that the company's cash is worth cash (i.e., the management won't waste it), the cash puts a floor on the market value of my equity. So it's a massively important asset to consider, especially in the case of a company such as Apple.

 

3) Your definition of 'enterprise value' (EV) is incorrect (see my highlighting above). However, your EV calculation happens to be correct in Apple's case. Let me explain. EV is NOT "market cap less net debt" as you defined it. It is market cap plus debt (plus the value of any other claims if any, e.g., preferreds)  minus cash. In other words, EV market cap plus net debt. (You're the one that should look it up!).

 

Of course, in Apple's case, EV equals market cap minus cash, i.e., your numbers turn out correct, but that's only because Apple has no debt (or any other claimants). Therefore you are correct that EV under Tim Cook -- the non-cash value of Apple -- has fallen. However, that explicitly assumes that Cook deserves no credit for the cash build-up. That is a bit unfair, since, after all the cash on the balance sheet does belong to Apple's owners. He could, for instance, have thrown it away on wasteful acquisitions, but has/did not.

 

4) The correct conceptual definition of EV is that it is a measure of the discounted value of total cash flows from the operating assets of a business (i.e., free cash flow to the firm, reflecting its operating cash flow net of its investing cash flow), where the discount rate is risk-adjusted, and reflects a weighted blend of the expected returns of every type of capital supplier to the business (called the 'weighted average cost of capital' or WACC).

post #83 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Hon Hai put out a statement yesterday:

http://www.foxconn.com/Message_En.html?index=7

Maybe if you had a clue that the drop in sales is actually confirmed

But the reason, aka low iPhone sales, is not confirmed. And yet all the analysts are pushing that claim.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #84 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacopo View Post

They just couldn't find a battery that lasted longer than 10 minutes...

Looks like someone got this mixed up with androidinsider.com

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #85 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

"Could care less" has been used for over 3 decades in common use. Get over it. The English language is not based on rules set by grammarians and grammar nazis, but by how it's used by the average writers and speakers of the language.

 

Actually, English totally is.  American isn't, but English is specifically based on rules set by a governing body. Spelling and Pronunciation.  

post #86 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

As far as Apple's manufacturer showing a decline in revenues, they also make Amazon products as well as others. Perhaps the miss is from that source...

I believe they also make the Surface and we know how that's (not) selling

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #87 of 140
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

I would like a larger display iPhone.  I know many people that would.  Just because you don't doesn't mean others wouldn't buy them.

 

How can you tell others off for their beliefs and then turn around and claim yours are the majority?


I am amazed as the lack of basic finance knowledge.  If you want to buy a widget business that costs $1 million and you put in your own money for half and borrow the other half, you have a capitalization that is 50% equity and 50% debt.  Lets say you immediately take the company public, so the market cap is 500k and you have 500k of debt,  Did the value of the business you bought for 1 million just drop to 500k because that is the market cap?  Of course not, the value of the business is still $1 million.,  All companies choose to capitalize themselves differently.  The only way to normalize things is if you look at enterprise value, which is mkt cap less net debt.  That tells you what a business is worth by looking at capitalization on an apples-to-apples basis.

 

So a company for which you have to pay $110 million—the majority of which goes to pay off incurred debts—is a better investment than one for which you have to pay $100 million—none of which is debt?


Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Looks like someone got this mixed up with androidinsider.com

 

You mean "What the effing crap are you even talking about; stop spewing nonsense.com"

 

Hard site to get to, given that it has a semicolon in the URL.


Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
Actually, English totally is.  American isn't, but English is specifically based on rules set by a governing body. Spelling and Pronunciation.  

 

Of course American English is governed by the same scope of rules. Why would you say otherwise?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #88 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

One can go on and on about all the metrics that disprove him and the other trolls.

 

May I humbly request that we not automatically refer to everyone with whom we disagree as a "troll?" Just because someone has a contrary opinion or alternative view does not mean they are a troll.

 

One can be both wrong and sincere! 1smile.gif

post #89 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Apple reported $13.06 billion in net income (profits) on $46 billion in revenue for the Dec '11 quarter. They reported $13.08 billion in revenue on $54.5 billion in revenue for the Dec. '12 quarter.  An extra $8.5 billion in revenue resulted in an additional $20 million of profit.  Yippee!  

This is true. Apple's margins did fall quite a bit, and there's no way around that.

 

However, it is not clear if that was because of the extra costs incurred from all the new products and significant product upgrades that Apple introduced last year. In other words, it is not clear if that is temporary or permanent. I'd wait a couple of quarters before making that judgment. If similar margins are reported for the latest quarter too, I'd say that there is likely a margin problem -- let's wait until April 23.

 

Btw, Apple's average selling price for iPhones last quarter was the same as a year before ($641 v. $646); the ASP for Macs was actually $90 higher ($1360 v. $1269). However, the ASP for iPads was ~$100 lower, understandable because of the iPad Mini. I am guessing that's where the margins fell (given that it is a brand new product and given the extra costs involved in initial stages).

post #90 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

He has no Mac Pro on his roadmap, so obviously this is all bunk.

 

Not yet. Despite Tim's vague hints, there still isn't anything to suggest we're actually getting one. If and when we do, THEN Kuo's roadmap will be bunk. At this point we don't know that he's wrong.

post #91 of 140
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
Despite Tim's vague hints, there still isn't anything to suggest we're actually getting one.

 

His blatant statement on the topic sort of puts a cannon hole in that.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #92 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Another site that has the same figure as Yahoo: http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/AAPL--Current_Valuation

 

It's rather an amazing coincidence that all these sites are calculating "enterprise value" wrong, no?

 

Not necessarily. Last week many mainstream media sources reported the Apple iRing TV as if it were an announcement. Once something is on the wires, it's gospel. It is not at all inconceivable that several sources could misreport the value of a company. Be ESPECIALLY suspicious if they're all reporting the same number, because it means they're just re-reporting what someone else re-reported from someone else's mistake.

 

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but I *AM* saying that it's not nearly as unlikely as people would like to believe. Sadly, headlines and a solid block of infotainment trump skepticism and careful journalism.

post #93 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

I didn't say Tim Cook was incompetent, but I will say he's lost more value for any company in history during a bull market. 

Not 100% sure, but the inflation-adjusted loss for the Dutch East India Company between its peak and its bankruptcy may be the largest.... (at its peak, it was worth many trillions!).

 

Also, relative to its peak value of $625B, Microsoft may take that claim in modern times, having lost almost $400B.

post #94 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

 

Wow.  Buying back your stock is a financial "trick."  Virtually every company in the world that is capable does it.  The only possible reason not to buy it with the amount of cash they have is they think it isn't a good value and is going lower or they have better uses for the cash, such as organic or external growth opportunities including acquisitions.  As Warren Buffet said recently, he told Steve Jobs that if you can buy a dollar for 80 cts, its a good thing and he should do it.  Honestly, if you think they outperform expectations in their products this year and the stock launches back up, why in the heck would you not want to buy it before that happens, which would mean shareholders get a larger piece of the earnings from those new products.

 

The free pass given to Tim Cook on this site is baffling.  We only need to look at another once well respected Apple executive (Ron Johnson) to see that nobody is infallible, including Tim.  All these stories of delays, execution problems, etc are problematic and show signs of a company that is becoming more reactive than proactive; one that rested on its laurels and is now scrambling to address the competitive landscape.  Who develops products and then finds out only a few months before expected launch that they can't manufacture those products.  Apple is still the product innovation leader, but it is very difficult to argue that Samsung hasn't taken a huge lead in manufacturing innovation.....multiple products, multiple sizes, multiple offerings which recently have been released earlier than expected or even released without the market even knowing about it coming.  Apple on the other hand has been delaying releases, releasing products than can't meet demand or releasing half-baked apps such as maps.

 

True test of a leader is how they react to challenges.  Its easy to lead from the front of the pack.  Tim has all the cash in the world, he has all the resources one could possibly ask for and yet the expectations are that Apple will yet again miss consensus earnings this quarter and next and if this story is true about further delays, they will miss Sept. consensus earnings also.  Three straight earnings misses after the stock starts plummeting isn't going to help stem the bleeding, especially when the 'leader' of the company has the personality of a stone.  Nobody believes in Tim and he will come under significant pressure if this article turns out to be true.  Tim was the one on the last earnings call who stated that analysts had it all wrong and no single supply chain data point could be read to mean production was slowing....well we've seen Foxconn numbers and we've seen sales estimates get massively cut.  It is baffling that the analysts appear to have potentially been more in touch with what sales were doing than the CEO.  We will find out if that is the case in a few weeks.  If Tim guides the next quarter well below consensus and discusses weak sales after making a point last call to say the analysts didn't know what they were talking about, he is going to look like a real moron.  

 

Stock is probably dead money at best for the next year with a buyback.  Without one, it will drop > 50% from peak value in one of the biggest bull markets in awhile.  A lot of people here have their heads in the sand if they think this isn't an Apple specific issue.  Yes, earnings we huge last quarter, but the multiple has seen massive compression as the expectation is earnings will go negative this year and Tim 'No Communication' Cook has given no signs that isn't the case or that he even realizes the competitive threats they face.  Samsung record earnings, Google record earnings, both near all-time highs while Apple languishes.  This is on Apple, not analysts, not Wall Street.  Put up or shut up.  If Tim can't grow earnings while his competition can, he needs to go.

 

In that entire fucking wall of text, nary a single factual statement. Pathetic. What's also pathetic is that you've decided to define and judge Cook's performance basely solely on stock price, which is hardly an indicator of things, instead of all the other metrics directly correlating to Apple's success (ie. sales, revenues, profit, customer satisfaction, etc) which have all been the most stellar in Apple's history under Cook. But wait, I guess that would go against your forced thesis. Instead of using this hard, conclusive data, you decide to judge Apple's worth and success solely by the 'expectations' of analysts who have historically shown not to know their heads from their asses, time and time again. Not only that, you demand that Apple make their product decisions solely for the goal of temporarily satisfying this fickle group. You're honestly everything that's wrong with this industry, and all I can hope is that people with your mentality are nowhere near Apple's decision making process. Your thinking, and your philosophy of whats important would definitely cause a company like Apple, who knows how to filter the noise from the substance, to burn to the ground.  Because all you have the ability to focus on is that noise. 


Edited by Slurpy - 4/11/13 at 12:55pm
post #95 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

 

In that entire fucking wall of text, nary a single factual statement.

Thumbs down.

post #96 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

"Could care less" has been used for over 3 decades in common use.

 

Our Slogan: "Looking like morons for over 30 years!"

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Get over it.

 

 

"...and proud of it!"

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

The English language is not based on rules set by grammarians and grammar nazis, but by how it's used by the average writers and speakers of the language.

 

 

WTF is a "Grammar Nazi?" That has to be one of the most offensive tags ever to be carelessly thrown around. First, to in ANY equate the actions of the Nazis and such a trivial matter is WAAAAAY out there and incredibly insensitive to the millions who suffered. Second, because it perpetuates a growing trend of contempt for literacy. Read the notes from a ship Captain in the 18th century and compare them to the level of literacy exhibited by even professionals in the 21st century. I did, and I was all like "woah!" It was defiantly an eye opener. You don't have to take my word for it either. Wikipedia corresponds what I said.

 

I get your point, and I acknowledge and accept the fluid nature of language, but I still take exception to insulting those who make the occasional, futile attempt to save us from the pending idiocracy.

 

Wanna start on "Begs the question" next? 1smile.gif

post #97 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

[...] If Cook & Co. blow the next product launch or can't fill the pipeline it would be the opportune time for Apple to start searching for a CEO who knows how to deliver products and can satisfy AAPL investors. 

 

The weird thing is that supply chain management was Tim Cook's greatest strength. I got the impression that nobody in the world could match his knack. That makes me wonder what's really going on? Making him CEO so he's not doing that stuff full-time-hands-on anymore? Jony Ive biting off more than the real world can chew? A butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon?

post #98 of 140
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
Inisightful retort.

 

Well, you ignored the actual one, so I have to wonder what your intentions are beyond FUD.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #99 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So this guy doesn't expect a Mac Pro redesign in 2013? 1oyvey.gif

Yeah, I noticed that too... Especially big oversight as Tim stated in public there would be something for this class of users in 2013.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #100 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

His blatant statement on the topic sort of puts a cannon hole in that.

 

I know you've had this debate before, BUT: Cook said we'll see "something" in 2013 -- he didn't say what. In context it sure SEEMED like he meant a new Mac Pro, but we don't KNOW that until we actually see one. By the same reasoning, the fact remains that we can't say Kuo is wrong until we can show the existence of a Mac Pro in 2013. So far we can't. Fortunately there's still lots of 2013 left so there's still room to remain hopefully optimistic we'll get the chance to say "HE WAS WRONG!"

post #101 of 140

"Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a strong track record"

If you say so, AI.

 

I think this is one of the worst rumors i have heards in a while.

I honestly believe Apple has learned it's leson about designing product that is increasingly difficult to actually produce (Thanks Jonny).

Now we're to believe that the new stuff will be even harder to build than ever before! (there's your sales tag line) 

post #102 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So this guy doesn't expect a Mac Pro redesign in 2013? 1oyvey.gif

Yeah, I noticed that too... Especially big oversight as Tim stated in public there would be something for this class of users in 2013.

Oh there will be.  It just won't be a "Mac Pro". This ain't the 1990s.

post #103 of 140
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
Cook said we'll see "something" in 2013 -- he didn't say what. In context it sure SEEMED like he meant a new Mac Pro, but we don't KNOW that until we actually see one.
Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

 

HOW DO I CONTEXT CLUES.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #104 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Instead of an elegant product launch, 2012 marked the most ineffective, clumsy, and amateurish product "dump" in Apple's history! Apple's pipeline has been on Queer Street ever since -- too many Retina Macs, not enough iMacs, not enough iPhone's, took many iPad's. If Cook & Co. blow the next product launch or can't fill the pipeline it would be the opportune time for Apple to start searching for a CEO who knows how to deliver products and can satisfy AAPL investors. 

Riiiight.  As opposed to 2008 where there weren't enough iPhone 3Gs so AT&T had to turn away customers, the 17" MacBook pros were delayed, the MacBook Airs were delayed, the Apple TV "Take 2" software update was delayed, the Final Cut Server shipped more than a year late, Steve Jobs had to apologize for the poorly planned MobileMe launch, etc.?  Yeah, sounds like a bang up year that was, right?

If Apple were to use the play-book from 2008 in 2013-14, then yeah, Tim Cook is history. Because it means he's sound asleep in Balmer land.

post #105 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Consensus estimates are above the guidance the company gave.  Will they miss their own earnings three times in a row?  Unlikely, but they will very likely miss consensus estimates this quarter and next.  Tim is in a bad spot that Jobs played games and always lowballed so analysts haven't adjusted to the new reality and continue to think Apple will beat its own guidance.

Consensus estimates are the average of analysts wild guesses. That doesn't make it more accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

The weird thing is that supply chain management was Tim Cook's greatest strength. I got the impression that nobody in the world could match his knack. That makes me wonder what's really going on? Making him CEO so he's not doing that stuff full-time-hands-on anymore? Jony Ive biting off more than the real world can chew? A butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon?

Wow, just because someone is great at something doesn't mean they're perfect. The 1927 Yankees lost 28% of their games. Michael Phelps didn't win every race. Tom Brady has thrown many interceptions. George Lucas created Jar Jar!
post #106 of 140

Just wanted to chime in that jdnc123 is a certified f00l.

post #107 of 140

@ jdnc123

 

Just which billion company are you running now?

 

Since you had come up with so many theories of what Apple should do to improve its 'market value'.

 

We can argue until the cow and bull come home but it will still be argument with nothing substantial like a proven track record to prove your theories work.

 

So name the company you are running or own.

 

Yes, btw words are cheap.

post #108 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Quote:
Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

 

 

HOW DO I CONTEXT CLUES.

 

See the section highlighted in red. He said "something." That MIGHT be an updated Mac Pro, but it could mean an outboard Thunderbolt chassis for PCIe cards or a networking appliance for creating Mac Mini distributed processing farms or a MacBook SooperDooperPro or an iMac Pro or a Display with built-in graphics subsystem or a way to run OSX on an HP Z-series or a combination high-speed storage/graphics rendering device or just a nice party to thank all the professionals for their contributions to Apple and wish them well in their future endeavours.

 

You have not provided definitive proof that any alternative conclusion is impossible, therefore your premise is invalid. 1smile.gif

 

Probably a Mac Pro though, huh? That would be nice.

post #109 of 140
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
See the section highlighted in red.


How. Do. I. Context. Clues.

 

So, what, if the new computer isn't called "Mac Pro", you'll say that you're right, eh? Because Apple "didn't update the Mac Pro" by making a professional-grade computer with a new name?

 

Imagine for a second if someone claimed Apple didn't update the PowerBook G4 when the first MacBook Pro came out. Imagine how stupid that would sound.


There is a new professional-grade computer being released by Apple this year. That is what matters. That is what is not on the chart. That is why it is wrong. That is the argument.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #110 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

@ jdnc123

 

Just which billion company are you running now?

 

Since you had come up with so many theories of what Apple should do to improve its 'market value'.

 

We can argue until the cow and bull come home but it will still be argument with nothing substantial like a proven track record to prove your theories work.

 

So name the company you are running or own.

 

Yes, btw words are cheap.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

In that entire fucking wall of text, nary a single factual statement. Pathetic. What's also pathetic is that you've decided to define and judge Cook's performance basely solely on stock price, which is hardly an indicator of things, instead of all the other metrics directly correlating to Apple's success (ie. sales, revenues, profit, customer satisfaction, etc) which have all been the most stellar in Apple's history under Cook. But wait, I guess that would go against your forced thesis. Instead of using this hard, conclusive data, you decide to judge Apple's worth and success solely by the 'expectations' of analysts who have historically shown not to know their heads from their asses, time and time again. Not only that, you demand that Apple make their product decisions solely for the goal of temporarily satisfying this fickle group. You're honestly everything that's wrong with this industry, and all I can hope is that people with your mentality are nowhere near Apple's decision making process. Your thinking, and your philosophy of whats important would definitely cause a company like Apple, who knows how to filter the noise from the substance, to burn to the ground.  Because all you have the ability to focus on is that noise. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Well, you ignored the actual one, so I have to wonder what your intentions are beyond FUD.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtl3 View Post

Just wanted to chime in that jdnc123 is a certified f00l.

Wow, what a substantive set of responses, guys. /s

 

What the heck is wrong with someone expressing an opinion that there may be -- indeed, the market must strongly believe there are given $250B in wealth that has been wiped out -- management problems?

 

Also, compared to the absolutely nasty things that dozens of folks in this forum -- including some of you above, and even me, occasionally -- regularly say about corporate leaders such as Ballmer, Brin, Schmidt (I could go on), what gives you the right to swat down someone who, in my opinion, is offering a possibly reasonable (but granted, speculative and somewhat arrogant) criticism of Cook and his team? To paraphrase one of you above, do you run billion dollar businesses? And what makes you guys think that products are the only metric by which Apple's management should be judged, and stock prices are not relevant? 

 

If you have an objection you should counter what he has to say (in fairness, Slurpy revised his original post), rather than the petulant, knee-jerk responses I see above.

post #111 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


How. Do. I. Context. Clues.

 

So, what, if the new computer isn't called "Mac Pro", you'll say that you're right, eh? Because Apple "didn't update the Mac Pro" by making a professional-grade computer with a new name?

 

Imagine for a second if someone claimed Apple didn't update the PowerBook G4 when the first MacBook Pro came out. Imagine how stupid that would sound.


There is a new professional-grade computer being released by Apple this year. That is what matters. That is what is not on the chart. That is why it is wrong. That is the argument.

 

 

Someday when you're feeling more jovial and less grumpy than you seem to be today, you're gonna look back at what I wrote and literally laugh out loud.

 

Or have you already forgotten yesterday's discussion wirh you and SolipsismX? Or, worse yet, do you just not get the satire?

 

Oh well, I tried.

post #112 of 140
It does not seem credible that they are "trying to find the right material" at this point. If it has fingerprint sensor capability, they already found it.
post #113 of 140
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
Someday when you're feeling more jovial and less grumpy than you seem to be today, you're gonna look back at what I wrote and literally laugh out loud.

 

Not really. You're being uselessly pedantic.


Or have you already forgotten yesterday's discussion wirh you and SolipsismX?

 

Yes. What conversation? I would have forgotten it were it an hour ago.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #114 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So this guy doesn't expect a Mac Pro redesign in 2013? 1oyvey.gif


Yeah, I noticed that too... Especially big oversight as Tim stated in public there would be something for this class of users in 2013.
Oh there will be.  It just won't be a "Mac Pro". This ain't the 1990s.

I agree... I expect a modular solution with separate "boxes" (where it makes sense) connected by Thunderbolt.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #115 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

As for delays, wasn't the white iPhone delayed during Jobs tenure? 

Lol absolutely.  It was delayed for 12 months!  Jobs announced it in april of 2010 and it did not ship till april of 2011.  People having issues with delays from apple like you said certainly have very short memories.  I dont worry about delays it gives them time to get it right and that is more important than shoving it out the door just to please the sycophants that run the stock markets or there cronies the ANAL cysts.

post #116 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

True innovation has its challenges.

Like making a plastic phone?

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #117 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


I agree... I expect a modular solution with separate "boxes" (where it makes sense) connected by Thunderbolt.


What makes sense about that? Thunderbolt isn't exactly infiniband. It's also not really designed as an interconnect, in spite of being a low latency connection. At the desktop level why wouldn't they would be better off pushing OpenCL or CUDA options for highly parallel workloads? Xgrid went away, and stacked boxes don't seem like a very Apple-like solution.

post #118 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

WTF is a "Grammar Nazi?"

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #119 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[...] You're being uselessly pedantic.

 

...which is not at all like ignoring the point that Apple touted the virtues of its choice of screen size for one-handed use and instead focussing on the incorrect application of the word "perfect."

 

1wink.gif

post #120 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Inisightful retort.

 

And absolutely true. It's full of nothing but horse-shit, attacking Cook's personality, making platonic claims pulled from your ass such as "nobody believes in him", lazy statements such as "resting on its laurels", "struggling to address competitive landscape", that mean nothing. Your entire post is clear butthurt about the stock price, and nothing else. You fail to mention any real missteps, besides imagined failings and making mountains out of molehills, where there was much larger setbacks and screw-ups under Jobs. You're so obsessed over the analysts, and what they think, and are unable to grasp the bigger picture, and basically applauding Samsung for releasing a shitload of phone models and suggesting Apple just needs to mindlessly duplicate that strategy, something they have never, ever done. You keep bitching about "missing earnings" while Apple's earnings are by far the best it's ever seen, and the world has ever seen. That doesn't matter to you, because your precious analysts pulled some other numbers out of their asses, so therefore Apple fails. Maybe try to focus on the actual numbers, instead of obsessing about analysts and expectations, which in the big picture mean absolutely nothing. Or, preferably, go buy products from another company because it seems you have absolutely no faith in Apple either way. Instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt, you see fit to do the opposite.

 

There's a reason Apple still destroys all customer satisfaction surveys, has the best selling phone in the world, best selling tablet, best selling ultrabook, best selling all-in-one, most successful appstore, etc- by reading your post, one would think they're failing or something. You know how they got to the position they're in? By not listening to ignorant people like you that can only see 2 feet in front of them. It's no different when Jobs was around- people like you would be attacking him day in and day out, mocking every single decision he took, every direction he believed in, and giving their "advice" as to what Apple "should do" to be successful- ironically, the more Apple ignores noise like you, the more successful they've become. 


Edited by Slurpy - 4/11/13 at 6:38pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Development issues may cause later-than-expected debuts of 'iPhone 5S,' low-cost iPhone & next iPad mini