or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Steve Jobs' widow to promote immigration reform in rare interview with NBC's Rock Center

Steve Jobs' widow to promote immigration reform in rare interview with NBC's Rock Center

post #1 of 122
The late Steve Jobs' widow, Laurene Powell Jobs, will speak out on behalf of young undocumented immigrants during in an interview with Rock Center's Brian Williams.

Powell Jobs
Laurene Powell Jobs at the 2012 State of the Union address.

The NBC show will be the first major outlet Powell Jobs has spoken to since the passing of her husband, Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, reports Cult of Mac.

NBC posted a clip from the upcoming Rock Center segment (video follows):

?So I started getting more and more active around immigration reform because this was such a waste of lives, such a waste of potential, such a waste for our country not to have the human capital that we developed, geared towards improving our entire society.

And so we need all of these brains. We need all that energy. And indeed, there are estimates that integrating dreamers into our economy will give a boost of over $300 billion. So it?s an expansive act. There?s not zero sum here.?

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

While the Rock Center interview may be the first primetime appearance for Powell Jobs, she has been an active advocate for some time. In January, she was featured in Yahoo's news blog The Lookout when her website dedicated to promoting "Dream Act" immigration reform went live.

Powell Jobs has been highly active in furthering her philanthropy causes, including a and was invited to attend the 2012 State of the Union Address as a guest of First Lady Michelle Obama.

The full Powell Jobs interview will air on Friday night.
post #2 of 122
The only "reform" we need is to enforce existing laws and secure the border. Anything else is just political BS. Creating new laws is a pointless exercise.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #3 of 122
Border security is absurdly expensive and a waste of resources. Each state should pony up the funds. I'm talking ot you Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Three states that sponge of other states and whine about immigrant infiltrations.
post #4 of 122
Immigration should definitely be reformed. Ask most so-called "illegal immigrants" and they have no interest in becoming citizens. They are here to make money, then go back to their homes afterward. Immigration reform should improve worker visas and tracking. I'm generally against taxes, but immigrant workers should be allowed to work if they are paying all of the taxes us poor citizen suckers have to pay.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The late Steve Jobs' widow, Laurene Powell Jobs, will speak out on behalf of young undocumented immigrants during in an interview with Rock Center's Brian Williams.

Powell Jobs
Laurene Powell Jobs at the 2012 State of the Union address.

The NBC show will be the first major outlet Powell Jobs has spoken to since the passing of her husband, Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, reports Cult of Mac.

NBC posted a clip from the upcoming Rock Center segment (video follows):

?So I started getting more and more active around immigration reform because this was such a waste of lives, such a waste of potential, such a waste for our country not to have the human capital that we developed, geared towards improving our entire society.

And so we need all of these brains. We need all that energy. And indeed, there are estimates that integrating dreamers into our economy will give a boost of over $300 billion. So it?s an expansive act. There?s not zero sum here.?

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

While the Rock Center interview may be the first primetime appearance for Powell Jobs, she has been an active advocate for some time. In January, she was featured in Yahoo's news blog The Lookout when her website dedicated to promoting "Dream Act" immigration reform went live.

Powell Jobs has been highly active in furthering her philanthropy causes, including a and was invited to attend the 2012 State of the Union Address as a guest of First Lady Michelle Obama.

The full Powell Jobs interview will air on Friday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The only "reform" we need is to enforce existing laws and secure the border. Anything else is just political BS. Creating new laws is a pointless exercise.

-kpluck

you do know that its not just Mexico that people migrate from right..?

post #6 of 122

Not sure why they didn't just publish this in PO immediately, but it's here now.

Personally, I don't see why the Mexican border states don't just hold referendums for US statehood. As an American, I'd be very happy to support their accession to the US, as it works out well for both the US and the state in question.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #7 of 122

They should reform those illegal aliens all right, right back to wherever they came from, wherever that may happen to be. No if, ands or buts about it.

post #8 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

-kpluck

AH, i wonder if the ’Native Americans’ thought about that ?

It was not a joke!

post #9 of 122
No borders, no nations, no deportations!
post #10 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They should reform those illegal aliens all right, right back to wherever they came from, wherever that may happen to be. No if, ands or buts about it.

Like Steve Jobs biological father was’’reform’’, not to bother enumerating countless others.

It was European expat that yanked the USA from the agricultural economy to industrial age.

With the current crop of religious-crazy roaming the USA’s cultural and political landscape … 

Europe is currently run by clueless suits from Bruxelles and Frankfurt, scrapping thousands of well trained young people off European shores, but you are afraid of not being able to compete?

post #11 of 122
What I find most interesting is Apple Insider's clear bias in the way they wrote the article. They said she "will speak out on behalf of young undocumented immigrants", not "will speak out on behalf of young illegal aliens".

"Undocumented immigrants" is the deceptive term used to gain favor for one side in the argument, because it makes it seem like they belong here but just haven't been documented yet. The truth is that they are here illegally.

When we fail to follow the law and uphold the law, our society will soon crumble. Anarchy and complete disregard for law cannot be the basis upon which a society is built.

If our citizens don't like the law, there are ways to change it. Until then, these people *are* illegal aliens, and they should be handled the way any other law breaker is handled.
post #12 of 122

Hey, Laurene, why don't you speak out for all the people who have valuable skills that can significantly help our economy right now, but who can't get a green card???

They're a lot more worthy of our help than the illegal aliens who cross our border with barely any skills and a propensity to suck up precious resources through all the social services they latch on to, but never pay taxes to sustain (education, school lunches, emergency room service, public transportation, law enforcement, etc). 

Since you don't actually have the stomach or the plan to deal effectively with future waves of illegal immigrants, all you're doing is incentivizing more illegals to hop the border, pop out some kids, and then tell enough sob stories until bleeding hearts like yours give in and try to erase all the consequences of their actions. 

Man, I guess this is what happens when a winner like Steve Jobs earns all the money, but it's left to an unemployed liberal to spend it. 

Edited by k2director - 4/11/13 at 5:23pm
post #13 of 122
"If our citizens don't like the law, there are ways to change it."

Correct me if I am wrong, but changing the law is what they (we) are discussing here? So, yes, changing the law is possible.

Until the late 19th century, and a strong racist surge against Chinese 'coolie' immigration, we did not have any real controls. But, now... we did have hostility, well before that time. I hail from Boston and not only did we have "No Irish or Dogs Allowed" signage, but we even burned down a Catholic convent for fun. America became 'great,' if that is how you want to say it, with massive immigration waves, over and over.

It is a positive thing for the nation, only fear and FUD makes it seem like a negative... in my ill informed opinion. Mind you, we should have stopped the Irish from coming, in the first place, with more forceful violence. But mistakes will happen (don't even get me started on the "dark skinned" Italians and Greeks and Portuguese that also now fill up Mass, it is a real failure to control our historical borders).
post #14 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Border security is absurdly expensive and a waste of resources. Each state should pony up the funds. I'm talking ot you Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Three states that sponge of other states and whine about immigrant infiltrations.
Who exactly are they sponging off of?
post #15 of 122
So let's see how many of these criminal immigrants she can get employed at Apple. Didn't Apple say manufacturing was moved out of the country because American's aren't smart enough for the jobs? Criminal immigrants are smarter? The first thing they did when they came here was break the law.
post #16 of 122
Quote:

It is very expensive. Texas takes care of our own border. What Texas is asking is "Why should we have to use all of our resources and money to protect the rest of the country that loves to have these law breakers here. YOU pay for it."

post #17 of 122
Gays and illegal immigrants. What an interesting couple of days on AI.
post #18 of 122

Secure our borders first, then talk about immigration reform. Without secure borders we are just kidding ourselves that anything could, would or should change.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #19 of 122
@randallking you truly need to get out and explore the world... or at least see the reality of the world and not just the naivety that we call American Society.

A better argument in response would lean towards the eduction and positioning of our children to fill the needs of the workforce. This is something we are lacking across the board.

But my most immediate thoughts when this topic gets brought up are these: How many Americans would be willing to bend over in the fields and pick produce for market? This is a physically demanding low paying job that often goes to migrant workers. Sadly, without these people there would be a substantial collapse and/or hardship placed on our economy. We owe much thanks to these people... some of whom came to this country questionably. We also have a considerable amount of people who have entered this country legally through the sponsored work visa programme. These workers are often payed below what a national would earn and often tend to have positions that should be questioned for their legal determination and approval of that visa. Don't be fooled... Big companies play games and do end-arounds to bring in offshore talent where such talent can be easily found locally.

Lastly... the term "undocumented" has be around for a very very long time... I am sure you have heard the term "undocumented worker". This is nothing new.
post #20 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Secure our borders first, then talk about immigration reform. Without secure borders we are just kidding ourselves that anything could, would or should change.

(p || q) && !(p && q)

Which begs the question (colloquially,) why NOT (p && q)?

Logic fail.
post #21 of 122

"Send them all back."
And how exactly do we pay for it, genius?

The lack of reason and humanity in here makes me sick to my stomach.

post #22 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I thought she was speaking out for undocumented immigrants, not just Mexicans. Or were you referring to all ports and airports as well as the northern border?
post #23 of 122
Quote:

Does that go back to the original immigrants? I mean, aren't all non Native American citizens essentially immigrants whose forefathers and mothers came here for the same reasons present days immigrants come? They may not have been 'illegal' but if the locals had known what was to come they might well have been branded as such.

There is a huge number of undocumented immigrants in the US. Many were born in the US and many are well educated and many hold high level jobs. Branding them all as 'illegals' is as ignorant as it is stupid.
post #24 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Does that go back to the original immigrants? I mean, aren't all non Native American citizens essentially immigrants whose forefathers and mothers came here for the same reasons present days immigrants come? They may not have been 'illegal' but if the locals had known what was to come they might well have been branded as such.

There is a huge number of undocumented immigrants in the US. Many were born in the US and many are well educated and many hold high level jobs. Branding them all as 'illegals' is as ignorant as it is stupid.

I am obviously not against immigrants or legal immigration, as the US is a country made up of immigrants. They key word here is illegal aliens, and every single one should be deported, no matter where they originally came from, regardless of cost.

post #25 of 122

This whole immigration reform debate is ridiculous. The laws are already in place. The Federal Government needs to enforce them. If they aren't enforcing them, let the states do it. Suing states like Arizona for enforcing immigration laws the Feds aren't doing is stupid.

Paxman: The bottom line is they are illegals. To say calling them illegals "is as ignorant as it is stupid" is absurd. They broke the law. They shouldn't be here. They are criminals.

The majority of these Mexicans flooding into this country don't give a crap about the U.S. They don't bother to learn English. They rape states of so much money, it's ridiculous. Cities that have high populations of illegals have skyrocketing crime rates. I realize there are people from other countries coming here, but the majority of them are Mexicans. 

One thing the U.S. needs to do is change the law so anchor babies aren't U.S. citizens. It's absurd pregnant women coming here to have their baby so it becomes a U.S. citizen. With an American baby, they get all the government assistance. Just for an example how much this is costing taxpayers, the city of Los Angeles paid over $600 million in welfare to the illegal parents of anchor babies in 2010. The total cost is over $1 billion dollars the county of Los Angeles has to pay. The estimated cost the U.S. is paying is over $113 billion. 

With tough economic times, we shouldn't be supporting people who are breaking the law and don't belong here. All that money should be for Americans, not illegal immigrants. 

post #26 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallking View Post

When we fail to follow the law and uphold the law, our society will soon crumble. Anarchy and complete disregard for law cannot be the basis upon which a society is built.

If our citizens don't like the law, there are ways to change it. Until then, these people *are* illegal aliens, and they should be handled the way any other law breaker is handled.

+1.

"Sir, is that an illegal firearm in the back of your truck?"

"No officer, it's an undocumented firearm."

"Ok then, move along."

post #27 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Hey, Laurene, why don't you speak out for all the people who have valuable skills that can significantly help our economy right now, but who can't get a green card???

They're a lot more worthy of our help than the illegal aliens who cross our border with barely any skills and a propensity to suck up precious resources through all the social services they latch on to, but never pay taxes to sustain (education, school lunches, emergency room service, public transportation, law enforcement, etc). 

And the VISA for tourists.

I travelled all around the world except USA... it's a "pain in the butt" all the work to make an U.S. visa here in Brazil. :(

And Brazil is a country friendly to U.S... always.

I just wanna visit and spend my money in there.

post #28 of 122
Speaking of aliens, don't you North Americans descend from your 'alien' ancestors that 'invaded' the continent from the farthest corners of the planet? Isn't 'immigration' in your DNA?

Joking aside, if everything is documented and folks contribute to the economy, what's the issue?

Migrant European
post #29 of 122
Quote:

I seem to remember Arizona trying to do something about it and they were taken to court by the government....

post #30 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Immigration should definitely be reformed. Ask most so-called "illegal immigrants" and they have no interest in becoming citizens. They are here to make money, then go back to their homes afterward. Immigration reform should improve worker visas and tracking. I'm generally against taxes, but immigrant workers should be allowed to work if they are paying all of the taxes us poor citizen suckers have to pay.

I agree with this notion. Improve the visa program, get the employees under some control so they can't abuse the workers etc. But at the same time get them out when their work time is done.

as for this Dream Act I feel like its a bit overdone in a way. Sure the kids didn't chose to come here or be born here so why punish them. I'm all for that. But I also feel like there's risk for abuse by the parents if there aren't cut offs and conditions to block just tricks. We already have enough trouble with welfare abuse due to lack of work requirements etc, we don't need to add 'Dream' abuse to the system.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #31 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallking View Post

What I find most interesting is Apple Insider's clear bias in the way they wrote the article. They said she "will speak out on behalf of young undocumented immigrants", not "will speak out on behalf of young illegal aliens".

"Undocumented immigrants" is the deceptive term used to gain favor for one side in the argument, because it makes it seem like they belong here but just haven't been documented yet. The truth is that they are here illegally.

Their parents are almost always illegally here but not always the kids. Some of them were born on US soil which by law gives them the right to be here. And that's who the Dream Act is really about. These kids that were born here but because their parents aren't legal citiizens they are cut off from federal student aid etc. the Act is being extended to children brought here very young as well since they had no say in the matter but we are talking kids that would be been no more than 5/6 yrs old and have been here ever since and not gotten into any legal trouble that would have gotten them arrested, discovered and kicked out already

post #32 of 122
Maybe the US should have immigration laws like the Danish. The Danish are so concerned with protecting their race. The native Americans have been raped by "illegal" aliens. If they were able to succede in protecting their race, none of us would be living in this country legally. I'm sure none of you are willing to be sent back. Why? Because everyone has made this country their home and created a new country. There are many young illegal immigrants that have been raised and educated in this country. They are a product of what their parents have done by coming into this country illegally. Mrs. Jobs' intent is to keep these young people in this country rather than waste a valuable resource. I say valuable, because obviously a lot of Amercans in this country have become lazy and uneducated. They perform average or sub-average in school. They have forgotten the meaning of an honest day's work. They try to avoid work rather than excel in it. They provide poor customer service. They have no patience when asked as a resource for information. Ever wonder why a lot of call centers have been outsourced to other countries? You want to fool yourself it's because it's cheaper?! It's because Americans are rude on the phone and no one on either end of the convo are willing to humble themselves. Call centers in other countries put up with the American rudeness because they value their jobs. These young illegal immigrants have been raised by parents who know the opportunities America has to offer their children. They know that if their children are able to study here, the drive that they possess will lead them to great opportunities in America, that they themselves could never have. Take a look at these young people, they respect their parents, they value their education, they value the opportunities that America has to offer. They were not raised with a silver spoon in thier mouths. The Dream Act is geared at protecting this future resource of highly motivated youths. Send them back and the US loses what has already been invested in these youths.
post #33 of 122
mdriftmeyer-

I live in Texas and we've actually tried to handle it ourselves (as has Arizone) but the federal government stepped in and wouldn't let us. We'd be more than happy to shut the border down but asking a single state to pay for it completely ignores the concept of us being one nation. Should only the states that border an ocean be forced to pay for any and all Navy costs since "it's their fault"? No, we're a nation and illegal immigration is a national problem since it puts a drain on our national economy (amongst dozens of other things). Also, as other mentioned, it's not just from Mexico. Our Canadian border is ripe with illegal immigration.

This all just mades me sad that she is using the fame afforded to her because of her inventive and ingenious late husband as well as all of the money he earned from that to further her own political agenda.
post #34 of 122

Sure there are ways to change the law, and sure that is what they are discussing. That wasn't my point. My point was that until the law *is* changed (if that is what the citizens want), these people are *illegal aliens*. We should call them what they are, not "undocumented immigrants".

I'm not against people looking for a better life for themselves and their families. I'm not against immigration. This is not about being against immigration. It's about doing it legally. When we disregard one law, and another, and another, there is eventually a disrespect for the law itself. That is where we are finding ourselves today.

post #35 of 122

I love it!

post #36 of 122

No one should want people in the country illegally, and no one should want to artificially (absolvedly) legalize those people.

At the same time, no one should want their immigration procedures to be too complex or expensive for people to handle.

And I personally am totally for the referendum idea. I welcome any area of the world that holds one. Absolutely you should be able to become a US citizen if you desire, as well as live in the United States. But you're not until you do it legally. And you can't unless you do it legally.

post #37 of 122

Point taken.

I just want to see us start respecting law and stop the current influx of illegals. If they want to come here, okay, but do it legally.

post #38 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not sure why they didn't just publish this in PO immediately, but it's here now.

Personally, I don't see why the Mexican border states don't just hold referendums for US statehood. As an American, I'd be very happy to support their accession to the US, as it works out well for both the US and the state in question.

Have you ever been to Mexico? Why do you think so many Mexicans try to cross the border anyway they can? Just what the US needs a bunch more welfare states.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #39 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Branding them all as 'illegals' is as ignorant as it is stupid.

Only in bizarro world is calling an illegal alien an illegal, ignorant and stupid. I realize that liberals often choose to deny reality and they create their little own Orwellian world, where black = white, but they're not fooling anybody, and all other sane people call things for what they actually are.

What is ignorant and stupid is calling them undocumented workers.

post #40 of 122
Quote:

They key word here is illegal aliens, and every single one should be deported, no matter where they originally came from, regardless of cost.

Unfortunately to achieve that the US government would have to engage in ethnic cleansing tactics because the countries from where they came are under no obligation to take them back, and constitutionally there is not much they can do about the children of said illegal aliens who were born in the US. It is a can of worms that cannot be fixed by throwing more money at the problem.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Steve Jobs' widow to promote immigration reform in rare interview with NBC's Rock Center