or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Steve Jobs' widow to promote immigration reform in rare interview with NBC's Rock Center

Steve Jobs' widow to promote immigration reform in rare interview with NBC's Rock Center - Page 2

post #41 of 122
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Why do you think so many Mexicans try to cross the border anyway they can?

Their country doesn't afford them the quality of life they desire; that's a given. The United States does. The logical thing, then, other than being intelligent and applying for citizenship directly, is to petition to join the United States.

They don't have to uproot their entire lives and risk death crossing a border (and deportation thereafter), and they get the increased QoL AND a guaranteed job after their (Mexican) state accedes to the Union. Because there's a HECK of a lot of infrastructure to update. They're part of a first world country now, after all; they need to look it, act it, and live it. 

Never mind the increased safety. Drug cartels? Let me introduce you to the US National Guard. They're the steel toed boot to your scorpion.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #42 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why do you think so many Mexicans try to cross the border anyway they can?

Their country doesn't afford them the quality of life they desire; that's a given. The United States does. The logical thing, then, other than being intelligent and applying for citizenship directly, is to petition to join the United States.

They don't have to uproot their entire lives and risk death crossing a border (and deportation thereafter), and they get the increased QoL AND a guaranteed job after their (Mexican) state accedes to the Union. Because there's a HECK of a lot of infrastructure to update. They're part of a first world country now, after all; they need to look it, act it, and live it. 

Never mind the increased safety. Drug cartels? Let me introduce you to the US National Guard. They're the steel toed boot to your scorpion.

You are living in a fantasy world my friend. The entirety of Latin American is a wild, lawless place. There are pockets of civility but generally speaking the drug problem is pervasive. Simply cleaning up a few Mexican border states only pushes the root of the problem a little further south to the new border. Utter futility. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #43 of 122
Quote:

Unfortunately to achieve that the US government would have to engage in ethnic cleansing tactics because the countries from where they came are under no obligation to take them back, and constitutionally there is not much they can do about the children of said illegal aliens who were born in the US. It is a can of worms that cannot be fixed by throwing more money at the problem.

I agree that it wouldn't be the simplest thing in the world to do.

post #44 of 122
You are living in a fantasy world my friend. The entirety of Latin American is a wild, lawless place.

Talk about a fantasy world…

I tend to have a more optimistic view of humanity than that.

Simply cleaning up a few Mexican border states only pushes the root of the problem a little further south to the new border. Utter futility. 

It's not about that. I don't care about that. I care about these things:

1. Giving US citizenship to anyone who desires it and the responsibilities therein. 

2. Giving these people a QoL on par with that of the United States before their entry.

3. Giving US statehood to an area of land in which these people currently reside, should they so choose, democratically, and affording said state the same rights and privileges of all other states.

4. (2 inclusive) Increasing the infrastructure of said area to a US equivalent.

If cleaning up local drug cartels is part of that, then that's what gets done. If they move south, they move south. Whatever.

post #45 of 122
Quote:

You are living in a fantasy world my friend. The entirety of Latin American is a wild, lawless place.

Talk about a fantasy world…

If cleaning up local drug cartels is part of that, then that's what gets done. If they move south, they move south. Whatever.

You never answered my question if you have ever been to Mexico. You do realize I was born in Latin America and still have a home there and also travel extensively throughout the region.Map-of-Mexican-drug-cartels_full_600.jpg

The drug cartels aren't going to MOVE south. They are already EVERYWHERE in Mexico.

post #46 of 122
Map-of-Mexican-drug-cartels_full_600.jpg

The drug cartels aren't going to MOVE south. They are already EVERYWHERE in Mexico.

Looks to me like most of Baja California's free.

Also, of course they'll move south. How can you possibly think otherwise?

post #47 of 122
Quote:

Looks to me like most of Baja California's free.

Also, of course they'll move south. How can you possibly think otherwise?

Unfortunately Baja is no longer safe either except at the very southern tip and only as long as you stay within the resort areas.

As far as the definition of move is concerned it is a moot point because there is no way the US is going to annex six Mexican states anyway. At least not in our lifetime.

post #48 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Only in bizarro world is calling an illegal alien an illegal, ignorant and stupid. I realize that liberals often choose to deny reality and they create their little own Orwellian world, where black = white, but they're not fooling anybody, and all other sane people call things for what they actually are.

What is ignorant and stupid is calling them undocumented workers.

My point is that immigration is not a black and white issue, it is a little more nuanced. Not all 'illegal immigrants' are alike. And by the way, being in the U.S. without proper documents is a civil offense, not a criminal one. Some people here seems to think 'illegal' immigrants are criminals. This is not the forum to discuss immigration but I hate to see the bigoted knee jerk reactions being presented as some kind of truth. 

Here is an interesting article (just one facet of the debate)

http://ideas.time.com/2012/09/21/immigration-debate-the-problem-with-the-word-illegal/

post #49 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My point is that immigration is not a black and white issue, it is a little more nuanced. Not all 'illegal immigrants' are alike. And by the way, being in the U.S. without proper documents is a civil offense, not a criminal one. Some people here seems to think 'illegal' immigrants are criminals. This is not the forum to discuss immigration but I hate to see the bigoted knee jerk reactions being presented as some kind of truth. 

http://ideas.time.com/2012/09/21/immigration-debate-the-problem-with-the-word-illegal/

Actually, it is the forum to discuss immigration, because this thread is located in Political Outsider.

post #50 of 122
Unfortunately Baja is no longer safe either except at the very southern tip and only as long as you stay within the resort areas.

How in the world can the country operate? I ask not to refute what you're saying but out of incredulity. You'd think some form of protection would be a desire of the people living in these areas, and since so many want to go to the US anyway, why not save the trip?

Are plebiscites a foreign (light humor) concept?

post #51 of 122
Quote:

In Jun3 2011, Filipino-born journalist Jose Antonio Vargas wrote an article for The New York Times Magazine in which he admitted to being an "undocumented immigrant" and to using false documents to obtain an invalid Social Security number (which he would later use to enter the White House.) 

Yep, sounds like a real standup guy. He's an illegal all right, one who commits fraud.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/04/why-hasnt-jose-antonio-vargas-been-arrested-160937.html

post #52 of 122
Quote:

In Jun3 2011, Filipino-born journalist Jose Antonio Vargas wrote an article for The New York Times Magazine in which he admitted to being an "undocumented immigrant" and to using false documents to obtain an invalid Social Security number (which he would later use to enter the White House.) 

Yep, sounds like a real standup guy. He's an illegal all right, one who commits fraud.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/04/why-hasnt-jose-antonio-vargas-been-arrested-160937.html

For you the world is entirely black and white - but really, it isn't. I can't remember what you do - you have said so - music, right? Whether it is engineering, or more artistically creating, or somewhere in between, you surely know that there is always more than one side to the story? Different points of view that 'temper' the 'truth'? There is truth, there is justice and there is 'the law'. The two first can be debated endlessly and the result often times is that the latter needs revisiting.  

The guy is actually a pretty 'stand up guy'. As much as anybody I can think of. Here he is speaking about it

http://blog.ted.com/2013/04/08/rethinking-the-term-illegal-immigrant-because-people-cant-be-illegal/

I don't expect you to agree with him, but it illustrates my point that this is not an 'either or' question that can be determined and swept aside with a blanket rule. 

post #53 of 122
Quote:

Does that go back to the original immigrants? I mean, aren't all non Native American citizens essentially immigrants whose forefathers and mothers came here for the same reasons present days immigrants come? They may not have been 'illegal' but if the locals had known what was to come they might well have been branded as such.

There is a huge number of undocumented immigrants in the US. Many were born in the US and many are well educated and many hold high level jobs. Branding them all as 'illegals' is as ignorant as it is stupid.

If they were born here, then they are citizens.  How can they be "undocumented" and hold high level jobs?  Over 400,000 employers use e-verify to confirm that employees are authorized to work in the US.  If somebody breaks into your house and decides to stay, are they an undocumented homeowner?

post #54 of 122
Quote:

Only in bizarro world is calling an illegal alien an illegal, ignorant and stupid. I realize that liberals often choose to deny reality and they create their little own Orwellian world, where black = white, but they're not fooling anybody, and all other sane people call things for what they actually are.

What is ignorant and stupid is calling them undocumented workers.

Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket, you treacherous illegal?

(If being here illegally means you're an "illegal," why not apply that title to anyone that breaks the law?)

I'm sick of these entitled illegals like Apple ][ complaining about undocumented workers. We should hang all of them, because they break our laws, and therefore no measure of human dignity should be afforded them, because that makes perfect sense.
post #55 of 122
Quote:

For you the world is entirely black and white - but really, it isn't. 

Yes, certain issues are certainly black or white.

If somebody is like that guy and they are an illegal alien in addition to have committed fraud and falsified documents to get an invalid social security number, then he should be immediately arrested and deported. He's a criminal, he's dishonest, he's a liar, and I don't believe that the USA needs those kind of people.

post #56 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

This is perhaps a wild and outrageous idea, but I am able to see the difference between an American citizen getting a speeding ticket and an illegal immigrant who has snuck and cheated their way into the country, defrauding the US government, not respecting US borders, falsifying documents, obtaining bogus social security numbers and undermining the security of the US.

Illegals should consider themselves lucky that they are not shipped off to Guantanamo, where they can share cells together with other lawbreakers who wear orange jump suits who already reside there.

post #57 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

(If being here illegally means you're an "illegal," why not apply that title to anyone that breaks the law?)

I'm sick of these entitled illegals like Apple ][ complaining about undocumented workers. We should hang all of them, because they break our laws, and therefore no measure of human dignity should be afforded them, because that makes perfect sense.

We do. Driving without a license is illegal. They aren't undocumented drivers. Robbing a bank is illegal. They aren't called undocumented tellers. Drug dealing without a license is illegal. They aren't called undocumented pharmacists.
post #58 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkiran View Post

you do know that its not just Mexico that people migrate from right..?

But it's the Mexicans that these conservative xenophobes have been programmed to hate.

This is yet another distraction topic that helps keep people from paying attention to bigger issues. Worse: it's scapegoating of other nationalities for problems created internally by corporate rule.

So it's interesting to see the widow of a corporate head promoting immigration-positive reform. The question is, if American corporations don't want to pay acceptable wages for skilled workers that are already in the USA, why would they want to pay for newly naturalized people added to that same workforce? Will the immigrants still be willing to take lower pay once they're no longer foreigners and are supposed to get equal rights and services?

How many call centers and manufacturing plants are actually left in the USA anyway? I suppose Powell is more interested in white collar potential workers, since education and critical/creative thinking in this country sucks and the natives are quickly outpaced by foreigners in terms of technology and medicine development...

PS: the American Dream is a propaganda lie. But let's keep blaming young people for laziness and keep blaming immigrants for stealing our jobs (especially the ones "we" don't want anyway).
post #59 of 122
Quote:

This is perhaps a wild and outrageous idea, but I am able to see the difference between an American citizen getting a speeding ticket and an illegal immigrant who has snuck and cheated their way into the country, defrauding the US government, not respecting US borders, falsifying documents, obtaining bogus social security numbers and undermining the security of the US.

Illegals should consider themselves lucky that they are not shipped off to Guantanamo, where they can share cells together with other lawbreakers who wear orange jump suits who already reside there.

Another example of citizenry that has failed to recognize the difference between patriotism and blind nationalism, between fact and propaganda, who has missed the boat on learning human empathy and compassion, while buying in to all the right-wing propaganda that blames non-Americans for American-made troubles. What a sad state of a nation you represent. If only you were a minority. Or maybe you are a minority, just a very vocal and bitter one: the retrograde conservatives... which would explain your ease of hatred toward other groups so as to feel like you belong somewhere other than a dungeon for failed citizens with outdated antisocial attitudes.

I guess your Apple fanaticism on these forums should have clued me in to the fact that you're fanatical and unreasonable about other topics. As a person that enjoys some of the Pro-Apple commentary, I used to like some of your posts (not all, but you were interesting sometimes). Now I see your character and I'm disappointed. It's not just Apple subject matter that you're imbalanced on. It's systemic throughout your social programming. Bitter and angry entitlement is the elderly future you're headed toward. (I'm working on not getting that way myself, but I get the impression I'm more like the people you habitually hate than like you)
post #60 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The only "reform" we need is to enforce existing laws and secure the border. Anything else is just political BS. Creating new laws is a pointless exercise.

-kpluck
Wrong
post #61 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Another example of citizenry that has failed to recognize the difference between patriotism and blind nationalism, between fact and propaganda, who has missed the boat on learning human empathy and compassion, while buying in to all the right-wing propaganda that blames non-Americans for American-made troubles. What a sad state of a nation you represent. If only you were a minority. Or maybe you are a minority, just a very vocal and bitter one: the retrograde conservatives... which would explain your ease of hatred toward other groups so as to feel like you belong somewhere other than a dungeon for failed citizens with outdated antisocial attitudes.

I guess your Apple fanaticism on these forums should have clued me in to the fact that you're fanatical and unreasonable about other topics. As a person that enjoys some of the Pro-Apple commentary, I used to like some of your posts (not all, but you were interesting sometimes). Now I see your character and I'm disappointed. It's not just Apple subject matter that you're imbalanced on. It's systemic throughout your social programming. Bitter and angry entitlement is the elderly future you're headed toward. (I'm working on not getting that way myself, but I get the impression I'm more like the people you habitually hate than like you)
Hear hear
post #62 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Their parents are almost always illegally here but not always the kids. Some of them were born on US soil which by law gives them the right to be here. And that's who the Dream Act is really about. These kids that were born here but because their parents aren't legal citiizens they are cut off from federal student aid etc. the Act is being extended to children brought here very young as well since they had no say in the matter but we are talking kids that would be been no more than 5/6 yrs old and have been here ever since and not gotten into any legal trouble that would have gotten them arrested, discovered and kicked out already

Yes!
post #63 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

mdriftmeyer-

I live in Texas and we've actually tried to handle it ourselves (as has Arizone) but the federal government stepped in and wouldn't let us. We'd be more than happy to shut the border down but asking a single state to pay for it completely ignores the concept of us being one nation. Should only the states that border an ocean be forced to pay for any and all Navy costs since "it's their fault"? No, we're a nation and illegal immigration is a national problem since it puts a drain on our national economy (amongst dozens of other things). Also, as other mentioned, it's not just from Mexico. Our Canadian border is ripe with illegal immigration.

This all just mades me sad that she is using the fame afforded to her because of her inventive and ingenious late husband as well as all of the money he earned from that to further her own political agenda.

Wrong. Antiquated, xenophobic view.
post #64 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkaloha View Post

Maybe the US should have immigration laws like the Danish. The Danish are so concerned with protecting their race. The native Americans have been raped by "illegal" aliens. If they were able to succede in protecting their race, none of us would be living in this country legally. I'm sure none of you are willing to be sent back. Why? Because everyone has made this country their home and created a new country. There are many young illegal immigrants that have been raised and educated in this country. They are a product of what their parents have done by coming into this country illegally. Mrs. Jobs' intent is to keep these young people in this country rather than waste a valuable resource. I say valuable, because obviously a lot of Amercans in this country have become lazy and uneducated. They perform average or sub-average in school. They have forgotten the meaning of an honest day's work. They try to avoid work rather than excel in it. They provide poor customer service. They have no patience when asked as a resource for information. Ever wonder why a lot of call centers have been outsourced to other countries? You want to fool yourself it's because it's cheaper?! It's because Americans are rude on the phone and no one on either end of the convo are willing to humble themselves. Call centers in other countries put up with the American rudeness because they value their jobs. These young illegal immigrants have been raised by parents who know the opportunities America has to offer their children. They know that if their children are able to study here, the drive that they possess will lead them to great opportunities in America, that they themselves could never have. Take a look at these young people, they respect their parents, they value their education, they value the opportunities that America has to offer. They were not raised with a silver spoon in thier mouths. The Dream Act is geared at protecting this future resource of highly motivated youths. Send them back and the US loses what has already been invested in these youths.

Yes! Well put. Respect.
post #65 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallking View Post

Sure there are ways to change the law, and sure that is what they are discussing. That wasn't my point. My point was that until the law *is* changed (if that is what the citizens want), these people are *illegal aliens*. We should call them what they are, not "undocumented immigrants".

I'm not against people looking for a better life for themselves and their families. I'm not against immigration. This is not about being against immigration. It's about doing it legally. When we disregard one law, and another, and another, there is eventually a disrespect for the law itself. That is where we are finding ourselves today.

You're missing her point, entirely.
post #66 of 122
Quote:

You are living in a fantasy world my friend. The entirety of Latin American is a wild, lawless place. There are pockets of civility but generally speaking the drug problem is pervasive. Simply cleaning up a few Mexican border states only pushes the root of the problem a little further south to the new border. Utter futility. 

The entirety of Latin America? Highly inaccurate. Deliberately inflammatory. Entirely ignorant and xenophobic. The worst post ever.
post #67 of 122
What we see here today is legal exercising of freedom of speech and documented expression of ignorance and xenophobia.

Some folks here are smart enough to distort and sully Mrs. Jobs' issue, but not smart enough to realize they don't understand it.

I pity you fools.
post #68 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

The entirety of Latin America? Highly inaccurate. Deliberately inflammatory. Entirely ignorant and xenophobic. The worst post ever.

The dude is from there.

How in the hell can he be xenophobic?

Some of you pro-illegal liberals need to learn how to discuss without constantly resorting to ignorant and false name calling.

post #69 of 122
Quote:

The dude is from there.

How in the hell can he be xenophobic?

Some of you pro-illegal liberals need to learn how to discuss without constantly resorting to ignorant and false name calling.

Not to get into the middle of a skirmish, but that's akin to asking if a woman can be an anti-feminist. The answer should be clear - yes.

post #70 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Not to get into the middle of a skirmish, but that's akin to asking if a woman can be an anti-feminist. The answer should be clear - yes.

Well, I am sure that he can answer for himself when he checks in on this thread.

I just find it hilarious that certain far leftists are real quick to label anybody who disagrees with them as either racists, xenophobes and whatnot.lol.gif

It can be said that anybody in support of illegal immigration is anti-American, if we're going to begin labeling people.

post #71 of 122

So many haters here.  Most of which don't understand the immigration issue and only have hate to spread.  Shame.

post #72 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Immigration should definitely be reformed. Ask most so-called "illegal immigrants" and they have no interest in becoming citizens. They are here to make money, then go back to their homes afterward. Immigration reform should improve worker visas and tracking. I'm generally against taxes, but immigrant workers should be allowed to work if they are paying all of the taxes us poor citizen suckers have to pay.

"and they have no interest in becoming citizens"

Did you go and interview the estimated 12 million folks that are here without documents?  No you didn't.  You're talking out of your ass.  You're nothing but a hater.

post #73 of 122
Quote:

They should reform those illegal aliens all right, right back to wherever they came from, wherever that may happen to be. No if, ands or buts about it.

Are you Native American?  No?  Shut up then.

post #74 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallking View Post

What I find most interesting is Apple Insider's clear bias in the way they wrote the article. They said she "will speak out on behalf of young undocumented immigrants", not "will speak out on behalf of young illegal aliens".

"Undocumented immigrants" is the deceptive term used to gain favor for one side in the argument, because it makes it seem like they belong here but just haven't been documented yet. The truth is that they are here illegally.

When we fail to follow the law and uphold the law, our society will soon crumble. Anarchy and complete disregard for law cannot be the basis upon which a society is built.

If our citizens don't like the law, there are ways to change it. Until then, these people *are* illegal aliens, and they should be handled the way any other law breaker is handled.

You, like everyone else that insists on using the term "illegal aliens" just want to dehumanize these people so that everyone else will joing your little hate parade.

post #75 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by vqro View Post

Did you go and interview the estimated 12 million folks that are here without documents?  

There is no reason to interview any of them, as their opinions are entirely irrelevant. They are here illegally.

The American people will decide what to do with them and the illegals will have to do as we say, regardless if they like it or not.

post #76 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Hey, Laurene, why don't you speak out for all the people who have valuable skills that can significantly help our economy right now, but who can't get a green card???

They're a lot more worthy of our help than the illegal aliens who cross our border with barely any skills and a propensity to suck up precious resources through all the social services they latch on to, but never pay taxes to sustain (education, school lunches, emergency room service, public transportation, law enforcement, etc). 

Since you don't actually have the stomach or the plan to deal effectively with future waves of illegal immigrants, all you're doing is incentivizing more illegals to hop the border, pop out some kids, and then tell enough sob stories until bleeding hearts like yours give in and try to erase all the consequences of their actions. 

Man, I guess this is what happens when a winner like Steve Jobs earns all the money, but it's left to an unemployed liberal to spend it. 

"and a propensity to suck up precious resources..."

Spoken like a true hater who is ignorant of the facts.  Here, read this:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/politics/Illegal-Immigrant-Costs-Benefits-Disputed--92549134.html

"There's a significant body of estimations, of literature out there, that shows there's a 'net plus' to having undocumented immigrants," says James Gerber, Ph.D. professor of economics and director of the international business program at San Diego State University. "It's not an argument for (illegal immigrants), but it's just a serious attempt to provide a numerical estimate of their physical presence."

I much rather believe a Ph.D. professor who knows the field than some random hater like you.

post #77 of 122

I think "native" needs to be renamed "pre-European civilization discovery" Americans. 

Because I'm a native. Born and raised.

post #78 of 122
Quote:

Are you illegal? Because it sure sounds like it, judging by your hilarious rage shown in this thread.

post #79 of 122
Quote:

Well, I am sure that he can answer for himself when he checks in on this thread.

I just find it hilarious that certain far leftists are real quick to label anybody who disagrees with them as either racists, xenophobes and whatnot.lol.gif

It can be said that anybody in support of illegal immigration is anti-American, if we're going to begin labeling people.

I didn't call anyone racist in this thread. I didn't call anyone whatnot (I only resort to that insult when I am angry). I did use the term "xenophobia". If you really understand the meaning of the word, you will have no choice but to agree that your position is xenophobic. Sorry, but there it is.

I always labeled some comments as ignorant. Again, the shoe fits. Why? Because Mrs Jobs was talking about a specific program that would increase the intellectual capital of the USA. Yet you'd call her anti-American?

Shoe. Foot. Fits. It just happens to be in your mouth. Mmphmmphphph ....

post #80 of 122

Perhaps not coincidentally, both AP and NYT have announced decisions to ban the term "illegal immigrant" from their articles. I am sure some here will remind us of NYT's well-reported (and well-known) left-leaning bias. AP? Less so, I would argue.

Regardless, the moral of their decision is that words matter. Choose wisely. Changing the vocabulary will change the dialogue. Consequently and hopefully, what we read herein today will be a rare sight in the not too distant future.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Steve Jobs' widow to promote immigration reform in rare interview with NBC's Rock Center