or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon bumps smartphone subsidy upgrade wait time to full 24 months

Verizon bumps smartphone subsidy upgrade wait time to full 24 months - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

A pretty pointless argument as no-one in the western world is trying to decide whether to build a GSM or IS-95 network anymore. 

Most arguments are pointless.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

They have great coverage and line quality.   But the Verizon customer experience is hands down the worst of any company I've ever had to deal with on a continuous basis.  Not blind to the fact that being a customer of any of the other phone companies may not be great shakes either (and nothing is perfect any way you turn), but I've been counting the days until the last phone contract on our family plan is over for a long time and then it's Anywhere-But-Verizon for me.   

They have to have one of the WORST sites for a major tech company.   Complete mess.  Landline bills, DSL and cell are completely separate entities yet are jumbled together and keep tripping over each other on the Verizon sites.   Problems with billing are impossible to solve online.  You want to pay a bill and after five minutes feel like shooting yourself in the head, which doesn't make you feel great about being under contract.   So you stop by a Verizon store.  Don't know how it is elsewhere, but In all of their stores in NYC and its 5 boroughs there's a sense that they get the employees from the pool after McDonalds and KFC have already taken their picks.   So aside from the coverage and drop rate, yes, I would say their service totally sucks  :  )

This exactly describes my experience with AT&T.
post #43 of 49

For those living anywhere except a ways from a medium sized metropolitan area, is there really that much of a difference in coverage anymore?   My experience in the northeast from DC to Maine, being in the company of those with other carriers, is that it's pretty much a wash these days.  Verizon may have technically superior coverage but using reverse reasoning does any major carrier in the NE has coverage poor enough to be a factor anymore?

post #44 of 49

Quote: 
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

This exactly describes my experience with AT&T.

1smile.gif
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought I had seen everything. I never would have imagined we'd start measuring the size of our cell towers.

it's quite pointless to do. You either have to be all inclusive which requires an exhaustive number of variables that can effect performance through a large range that is constantly changing or you have to be very specific about what you are comparing at which point it's a pointless as the actual usage depends on an exhaustive number of variables.

The same can be said when comparing any 2 things. We're always given stats under ideal conditions , whether it's MPG, 40 yard dash, etc... most times those numbers do not translate into real world performance.
post #46 of 49

The 2 year contract is required to pay for the subsidized smartphone.  At the end of your 2 year contract, have you ever noticed that your price goes down because your smartphone is now paid for?  The problem with the 2 yr contract.

post #47 of 49
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
The 2 year contract is required to pay for the subsidized smartphone.  At the end of your 2 year contract, have you ever noticed that your price goes down because your smartphone is now paid for?  The problem with the 2 yr contract.

I'm a little confused by what you're saying.

The price doesn't change whether you've brought them your own, OWNED phone or if you're subsidizing one. The contract itself is not inherently a problem in that regard, but rather the choices of the telecoms to not lower your price when your'e done subsidizing, whenever that would be.

post #48 of 49

All I know is: continued iPhone-payoff payments to a telecom company after the phone is paid off, is one of those mass injustices we will shake our head at in the future, I believe. 

A telecom company who does the right thing on this issue, as well as supply the needed resources, will get my business.

T-Mobile is on the right track. 

Imagine the good will Verizon would generate if it ended subsidy payments after 24 months?

As is, I'll seriously look at T-Mobile and anyone else who doesn't look to screw me on continued hardware payments, like My Verizon, when I need to upgrade my iPhone again.

Another thing, who uses the phone anymore? I don't need 400 minutes. 150 would be fine with me... for a lower rate.

post #49 of 49
Originally Posted by stevenoz View Post
All I know is: continued iPhone-payoff payments to a telecom company after the phone is paid off, is one of those mass injustices we will shake our head at in the future, I believe. 

What about caps, throttling, and being told how we're allowed to use our data?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon bumps smartphone subsidy upgrade wait time to full 24 months