or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung said to plan build quality improvement to counter iPhone, HTC One

Samsung said to plan build quality improvement to counter iPhone, HTC One

post #1 of 71
Samsung in public has been defending the quality of the plastic construction of its devices, but the company is said to be "worried" internally about its Galaxy line's build quality when compared against Apple's iPhone and HTC's One.

S4
The Galaxy S4's plastic design drew yawns from much of the tech press. (image via Electronista)

A new rumor has the South Korean electronics giant pondering a switch to higher quality materials for its flagship devices, largely in response to the renowned build quality of devices like Apple's iPhone 5 and HTC's One Android handset. Such a shift in materials could happen as early as this fall with the release of the Galaxy Note III, a source familiar with the company's internal workings tells SamMobile.

The source couldn't provide information on the specific build materials Samsung is considering using, but the follow-up to the company's fast-selling Galaxy Note II is said to mark a considerable departure from the design of other devices in the Galaxy line.

The source also claims that Samsung had a prototype of its recently revealed Galaxy S4 that featured a metal body. That metal design, the source says, was very popular within the company. Samsung, though, was said to be unable to mass produce metal units quickly enough before the device's scheduled launch, so the manufacturer went with a plastic design.

Ahead of the launch of its newest flagship, design specs on the S4 leaked, revealing its plastic construction. Samsung executives attempted to parry any potential disappointment with the design, saying that its plastic chassis allowed for manufacturability while retaining a premium feel. Pressed on the company's reliance on plastic while its competitors were moving on to metals and other materials, Samsung's American design chief downplayed the importance of materials, saying the company was more focused on developing a software experience that would turn its devices into "life companions."

Samsung's launch event for the handset focused largely on its internal technology, as well as the software suite packed with the S4. The decision to stick with a plastic body, though, led to a somewhat underwhelming response from the tech media, who saw the S4's construction as "no match" for the aluminum unibody build of the iPhone 5 and devices like the HTC One.
post #2 of 71

Even though Apple cannot patent quality, I don't think this ends well for Samsung. They will just "quality" themselves out of their market -- cost-conscious Android users.

Edited by jz1492 - 4/18/13 at 11:53pm
post #3 of 71
Better quality all round can't be a bad thing.

In many ways plastic is more practical though.
post #4 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

Even though you cannot patent quality, I don't think this ends well for Samsung. They will just "quality" themselves out of their market.

Why wouldn't it end well? They're the number 1 Android manufacturer by a large margin. A better build quality could extend that lead.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #5 of 71
Nice choice, that close-up of the camera parts. Looks positively obscene. Must be the shiny polymers.

I better stop there. You probably get the point.
post #6 of 71

They should worry. It's one thing to reverse engineer, (Read: Steal.), an existing product, i.e., the iPhone, it's an altogether different exercise to come up with leading edge engineering and design.

Good luck with that Samsung (and all the Chinese companies trying to do the same thing). 

Just ask Microsoft, Google, HP and Dell. Massive failures, to date!

Apple's business model is based on one of Stevo's edicts...."in tech you need to be 5 to 10 years ahead of the competition, preferably 10!"

Apple has invested massive resources into seemingly "obscure elements of the whole," battery design, antenna design, glass, iOS, cloud, displays, chips, etc., etc.,

The above mentioned companies aren't even close....just poor copies at best! :)

"The iPhone is a Rolex in a sea of Timex's"

Edited by christopher126 - 4/14/13 at 5:29pm
post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

Better quality all round can't be a bad thing.

In many ways plastic is more practical though.

I take your point...in the context of this discussion. But, plastic is the bane of this planet! :)

post #8 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Damn you, dinosaurs!

I know, we need to "kill" more dinosaurs to make the plastic we need! :)

post #9 of 71

All Samsung Fans,

Please note that thanks can be sent to Apple at the following address:

https://www.apple.com/au/contact/feedback.html

lol.gif

If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #10 of 71
Quote:

Have you ever looked at Samsung's laptop line? Their monitors? Their SSDs? all beautiful devices. They obviously made a slight compromise to make a somewhat sleazier case to compensate for the cost of all the tech parts they are cramming into their phones, but making the thing out of aluminum is not difficult. 

The rest of your post is drivel.  Apple's antenna design sucked intermittently, their cloud services are still subpar, their glass is exactly the same as everyone else's  Google and Microsoft are not failures, unless you consider utter domination in their core markets and making money hand over fist a  failure.

Umm! "drivel" is a bit harsh.

Agreed, the antenna design was "ambitious" but it was stretching the envelope and their cloud services have not been very well realized, yet.

But, my point is Apple is at the forefront of incorporating the latest tech and sw. Whereas, it's competitors are merely "copying" Apple's innovations (and poorly)....whether it be the iPhone, iPad, all-in-one iMac, MBA, iOS, Retina displays, etc., etc.

But where Apple really excels is the "ecosystem." Everyone else, and I do mean everyone, can't hold a candle to that. It's not all about money, profit and market share.

Sometimes it's about providing great customer value! 

I feel ripped off by companies like Dell, HP, Samsung, RIM, Sony, MS, Google. They provide subpar products/services and because they are free, cheap or ad-based, I'm supposed to, somehow appreciate that.

Nope! :)

Edited by christopher126 - 4/14/13 at 6:11pm
post #11 of 71
"Samsung, though, was said to be unable to mass produce metal units quickly enough before the device's scheduled launch, so the manufacturer went with a plastic design."

Here's one thing Samsung hasn't copied from Apple. Apple doesn't sacrifice the product because of deadlines.
post #12 of 71
Samsung will turn to metal and it will be a "revolutionary apple killer".... Lol
post #13 of 71
Quote:

Apple's antenna design sucked intermittently...

You mean that sucky externally placed antenna frame design that is still being used on the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 that have been selling for nearly 3 years now? What a horrible design¡

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why wouldn't it end well? They're the number 1 Android manufacturer by a large margin. A better build quality could extend that lead.

I don't see how it's likely to fail. They have money and a large number of customers who like their flagship devices. Making them better will likely lead to more customers and more profits. It'll surely lead to people coming here to say Samsung's quality is as good or better than Apple's, which will be a nice change from people saying that's build quality is pointless.

post #15 of 71

Nothing could make me go over to Android, but that HTC One is a pretty cool looking device.

post #16 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Nothing could make me go over to Android, but that HTC One is a pretty cool looking device.

It's really nice! If I was forced to get an Android-based device that would be it.

post #17 of 71

Mutton dressed as lamb.

post #18 of 71
If Samsung get their build quality and design out if the Asian gutter and somewhere near western quality they will push Apple into a small corner of the Asian market. Since Apple is so slow to release that a large screen size is very important in Asia, Samsung will complete their already considerable cleanup of Apple's market share if they add quality.
post #19 of 71
Quote:

I feel ripped off because when you charging premium prices for the devices, why can't you make a decent antenna?

That just sounds insane. You are saying they have hundreds of millions of iPhone 4, 4S, and 5's in customer hands and none of them have a decent antenna. 1rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Why must you gouge me for $$$ for stupid lightning cables (which give no performance advantage at the moment)?
What do you mean by performance? Data throughput? What exactly is Lightning not letting you do?
Quote:
Why is the software buggy (with $150BN in the bank, can't they hire a few hundred more QA people?)?

Compared to other OSes I find Mac OS X and iOS much less buggy than other OSes. Same goes with their apps. There cloud services certainly have way too many issues but there is no way to say it's specifically because of software bug if you understand what is involved. As for simply throwing more people at a project: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks's_law
Quote:
As for Samsung, what exactly is wrong with their products?

I find their ethics to be questionable which makes me wonder how they will treat their customers long term. Apple has a great track record with customers, at least in the US. If I was in a country that didn't have an Apple Store there would certainly be other considerations with buying an Apple product.

post #20 of 71
Quote:

I have had every iPhone since 3GS. The 3GS was fine. The 4 sucked dead goats, and was unusable as a phone unless in speaker mode, which is why I felt forced to upgrade to a 4S, which was a marked improvement, but not great. The 5 is fine. Hence, "intermittently". If you have had a different experience, consider yourself lucky.

Yeah, that sheer 'luck' must explain the industry's highest consumer satisfaction ratings.

Your drivel is getting completely tiresome. Go on, wander off and troll somewhere else.
post #21 of 71
No, only to inflate its margins. You want proof? iPad 1, revolutionary as it was, did not have a fucking camera. None. iPad mini does not have a retina display. iPhones 1-4 did not have LTE, which was a major selling point of the 5, two years after everyone else, all of the above serving to suck every possible dollar out of its customers.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the temporal displacement. We don't have technology that allows us to move in more than four dimensions at once over here, so I guess you're stuck. Get used to the fact that your life is a falsehood, though.

Oh, was Lincoln assassinated in your timeline?

Anyway, my experience is that Apple gouges their customers, and fucks them when it feels like it

So why ARE you here?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #22 of 71
Quote:

You saw my message about antennas, so don't twist what I say.

Oh, I read what you wrote. You said they can't make a decent antenna. I did infer that you meant the cellular antenna and starting with the iPhone 4 as that's the one that started with the externally place frame than you and your ilk like to use as proof that Apple sucks. If you meant the antennas in the earlier iPhones or the WiFi or BT antennas you didn't specify and it's hard to imagine you have meant those without specifying So, again, the iPhone 4, Phone 4S, and iPhone 5 have sold hundreds of millions of units to customers that are using them perfectly fine on their supported carriers and, as anantksundaram stated, they have the highest customer satisfaction rate among smartphones. It's hard to imagine that people would vote it so high when 1) they are so overpriced, and 2) they don't work.
Quote:
What Lightning is not letting me do is to use the money for something useful.

Not letting you? You can just stop acting entitled or I will make an example of you as I have a few minutes between The Mentalist and Family Guy.

Note that you weren't forced to buy any Apple product with your money -and- any Apple product that comes with a Lightning port also comes with a Lightning cable. Let's also note that both Apple's 30-pin iPod Dock Connector and Lightning do a great many things that micro-USB can't. Finally, lets acknowledge that Apple used the same connector across these product categories for nearly a decade without altering the plug when no other company has done that.
Quote:
Performance does mean data throughput, which is identical to that of the 30pin connector..

Wait. what the **** are you saying? Are you really suggesting that Apple should have put a USB 3.0 port on the iPhone to make the throughput faster?
Quote:
Since, at this point I must have spent $200 on lightning cables, I am not happy..

Yeah, that's Apple fault¡ 1rolleyes.gif
Quote:
As for OSes: Mac OS X freezes a lot more than any Linux I have used. It used to be way better than Windows, but Windows has improved, and OS X has not, so it is a close call now. iOS, well, instead of a littany of woe, tell me that you have never experience the following: Some app is getting updated, then for some reason the update is interrupted (typical reason: I am on a cellular network [why can't it just ask me if I mind -- I have many gigabytes of Verizon LTE, I really don't care], then the only way to get the stupid app updated is to delete it and reinstall it from scratch. Unless apple hates me personally, I doubt that I am the only one to have suffered from this. 

Anyway, my experience is that Apple gouges their customers, and fucks them when it feels like it (aside from the above, consider the Final Cut X fiasco, which was a deliberate FU to the pro customers, and consider the lack of a new Mac Pro -- more of the same. Consider the half baked iWork suite -- I like Keynote, but ten years after its introduction is still does not have an equation editor, which makes it barely usable for scientific presentations. I could go on, and probably will in some other rant).

Perhaps for someone who has to buy hundreds of dollars in cables in the span of a half a year their ability to understand and use certain technologies has some limitations, to put it lightly. Anytime someone likes an Apple product you like to use an ad hominem by calling them fanboys. Perhaps your experiences are different from others and perhaps you have so many issues with Mac OS X and iOS crashes that Windows is better but you actually believe that anyone who has a good experience with an Apple product is somehow just an delusional, incensed fanboy who is lying. It makes me wonder why they would buy a product that doesn't actually work for them, but it makes it wonder more why you say you buy so much from Apple when you have so much to complain about.

post #23 of 71
…nor does it make me think that everything without a half-eaten fruit on it is junk.

Certainly seems to make you fantasize about things that aren't true, though.

post #24 of 71
Quote:

I guess the other phones are even worse. As for the second line, that was exactly what I was thinking about you! So, why don't we keep the abuse to ourselves, or can't you restrain yourself? It must be hard when you are 14 and full of testosterone...

1) You started all of this!

2) You go from one sentence saying "why don't we keep the abuse to ourselves" to "it must be hard with you are 14 and full of testosterone." The same fucking post! That really makes you look mental.

post #25 of 71
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Wait. what the **** are you saying? Are you really suggesting that Apple should have put a USB 3.0 port on the iPhone to make the throughput faster?

Well, MicroUSB 3, at least.

post #26 of 71
Quote:

I don't understand the first paragraph at all, or the second. Off the lithium again? As for the last question, I like Apple's products, I am typing this on a MBPr to which a iPad 4 is attached, and an iPhone 5 is in my pocket.  That does not make me like Apple as a company, nor does it make me think that everything without a half-eaten fruit on it is junk.  Imagine that! 

Sheesh, Griv, what was it that really caused you to be pissed you off today?

1). Your Job

2). Your Partner

3). Family

4). Friends

5). Uncompleted goals

6). The World

You sure sound frustrated.

Edited by GTR - 4/14/13 at 9:05pm
post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMarques View Post

"Samsung, though, was said to be unable to mass produce metal units quickly enough before the device's scheduled launch, so the manufacturer went with a plastic design."

Here's one thing Samsung hasn't copied from Apple. Apple doesn't sacrifice the product because of deadlines.

Maps.
But in terms of HW, I agree with your statement.
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, MicroUSB 3, at least.

And what would that do to increase performance?

Quote:

Started what?

Started attacking people which you then claimed they were doing to you. If you're going to dish it out at least have the balls to take it.

post #29 of 71
And what would that do to increase performance?

"Faster."

post #30 of 71
Quote:

"Faster."

What will be faster? Syncing times? No. You can add a Thunderbolt port and it wouldn't change anything until the NAND bottleneck is resolved past USB 2.0 speeds.

post #31 of 71
What will be faster?

"Syncing."

Someone who actually believes a MicroUSB port on iDevices, jump in here. I can only imagine what you believe so far…

post #32 of 71

I have seen quite number of reviews on iPhone 5 and HTC One.  Yes, they have awesome looks.  But, would they be out there without cases?  I have never seen an iPhone 5 without a case (all with hard plastic, part metal, TPU or sillicon case.....all ugly).  How would HTC One be with cases?

I prefer plastic body, but I think Sammy would have to go with some form of metal for the next Galaxy.

post #33 of 71
Quote:

"Syncing."

Someone who actually believes a MicroUSB port on iDevices, jump in here. I can only imagine what you believe so far…

And why do you think a micro-USB port is inherently faster than a Lightning port? Remember that the 30-pin iPod Dock Connector and Lightning ports both use USB signaling. It sounds like you're saying that no iDevice could possibly have a USB 3.0 chipset if it has a Lightning port.

And why this desire for the iPhone 5 to have a USB 3.0 chipset? Did any other vendor even offer a USB 3.0 chipset in a smartphone to make people say "Apple should it too"? The Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II only had the Exynos 4 SoCs with USB 3.0 only coming as part of the chipset with Exynos 5, but that doesn't mean it'll be 1) enabled in a smartphone with a single NAND chip, and 2) if it, will speed up syncing.

post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View PostThey obviously made a slight compromise to make a somewhat sleazier case

That's like saying McDonald's made a "slight compromise" by calling their low nutrition high wasted calories junk "food."
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

If Samsung get their build quality and design out if the Asian gutter and somewhere near western quality they will push Apple into a small corner of the Asian market. Since Apple is so slow to release that a large screen size is very important in Asia, Samsung will complete their already considerable cleanup of Apple's market share if they add quality.

I assume from your location that you are familiar with things asian, so given HTC's and Sony's very nice hardware (granted, Sony software is not all it could be), "Asian gutter" is a bit misguided, no?

Misguided? Doesn't make sense really. Samsung has the cool factor that Apple once had in Asia. The Asian gutter refers to the inability of people here to do anything classy or creative of their own. HTC has no special reputation at all. Sony is like I fear Apple is going, once great now ..ho hum...Western style and quality is king generally. Samsung, as I said, has the cool factor so all they need is the perception of high end quality and they will be unstoppable. The other thing, I would add, is that Apple's product refresh cycle is too slow for here.

post #36 of 71
Quote:

And why do you think a micro-USB port is inherently faster than a Lightning port? Remember that the 30-pin iPod Dock Connector and Lightning ports both use USB signaling. It sounds like you're saying that no iDevice could possibly have a USB 3.0 chipset if it has a Lightning port.

And why this desire for the iPhone 5 to have a USB 3.0 chipset? Did any other vendor even offer a USB 3.0 chipset in a smartphone to make people say "Apple should it too"? The Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II only had the Exynos 4 SoCs with USB 3.0 only coming as part of the chipset with Exynos 5, but that doesn't mean it'll be 1) enabled in a smartphone with a single NAND chip, and 2) if it, will speed up syncing.

Hey SolipsX, TS was being sarcastic... he was answering for igriv, if I read it correctly. His answers were all in quotes.

I actually had a question. You answer every post with a lot of patience and restraint. At what point of time do you just give up? I can't go for more than 3-4 posts of sheer garbage before I throw the poster(?) into the ignore list. And that's when they are actually talking to someone else!

post #37 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Mutton dressed as lamb.

More like mutton dressed as mutton.
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because that has nothing to do with build quality (or any other sort of quality).

post #39 of 71
Quote:

No, only to inflate its margins. You want proof? iPad 1, revolutionary as it was, did not have a fucking camera. None. iPad mini does not have a retina display. iPhones 1-4 did not have LTE, which was a major selling point of the 5, two years after everyone else, all of the above serving to suck every possible dollar out of its customers.

I'm pretty sure that was a strategic decision. If they had stuffed everything into iPad 1, there would be nothing going for the iPad 2. It's been the Apple way for ALL their products - ever since 1997. Their strategy is to focus on the fewest product lines possible, and update them yearly. Of course they have to think extra carefully what and what not to include every year, as their whole business depends on those few products.

post #40 of 71
"Well, we were copying Apple when we ran out of time and half-azzed a plastic back cover because our customers are too stupid to notice. Wait, you mean we still can't match Apple's profitability? Well, what can we steal next?"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung said to plan build quality improvement to counter iPhone, HTC One