or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung said to plan build quality improvement to counter iPhone, HTC One

Samsung said to plan build quality improvement to counter iPhone, HTC One - Page 2

post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Hey SolipsX, TS was being sarcastic... he was answering for igriv, if I read it correctly. His answers were all in quotes.

I actually had a question. You answer every post with a lot of patience and restraint. At what point of time do you just give up? I can't go for more than 3-4 posts of sheer garbage before I throw the poster(?) into the ignore list. And that's when they are actually talking to someone else!

1) Ah. I didn't catch that.

2) Funny. The people I respond to don't think I am patient or have restraint. 1biggrin.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #42 of 71
I can't believe all the polite, well-intentioned responses in this thread to a guy who's totally off his meds (at least, I hope that's what it is, for the sake of the people around him).

Don't waste your time, guys.
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMarques View Post

I'm pretty sure that was a strategic decision. If they had stuffed everything into iPad 1, there would be nothing going for the iPad 2. It's been the Apple way for ALL their products - ever since 1997. Their strategy is to focus on the fewest product lines possible, and update them yearly. Of course they have to think extra carefully what and what not to include every year, as their whole business depends on those few products.

It very well could have been strategic as they plan out new models but we also need to consider the cost of adding more complexity to a device. We always hear something like 'that component only costs a 30¢" and maybe it doesn't but it consider the cost design that component into the device, all the supporting components, the drivers, the OS software, the testing, and other costs involved. It makes sense to focus your goals and only build out once you've mastered the others. I think Apple should have applied that to scaling iCloud in features and users.

post #44 of 71
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
2) Funny. The people I respond to don't think I am patient or have restraint. 1biggrin.gif

You're one of, if not the, most patient users here.

I'm not counting the ones here with a non-Apple agenda. They're paid to be patient, and no amount of willpower would be able to beat that out.

Notice I didn't name anyone. Watch them respond to the above in the negative.

post #45 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

If Samsung get their build quality and design out if the Asian gutter and somewhere near western quality they will push Apple into a small corner of the Asian market. Since Apple is so slow to release that a large screen size is very important in Asia, Samsung will complete their already considerable cleanup of Apple's market share if they add quality.

Do you remember the old days of the iPhone 3G, when Apple was slow to realise that a stylus was very important in Asia?

The bulk of Android phones being sold in Asia are small screen, cheap and basic, just like everywhere else.

Android IS small, cheap, basic with a smattering of higher end handsets, don't forget that.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, I like to think I'm patient but I know I'm also very direct and candid which can easily mask any patience one might otherwise have.

post #47 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Because that has nothing to do with build quality (or any other sort of quality).

Try making sense. What has nothing to do with build quality? Samsung has a commanding lead over Moto, HTC, LG, etc.., besides using Android the next big complaint is their build quality, so building phones using better materials would nullify that argument.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #48 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm not counting the ones here with a non-Apple agenda. They're paid to be patient, and no amount of willpower would be able to beat that out.
Notice I didn't name anyone. Watch them respond to the above in the negative.

The only time you're patient is when you're in a doctors office lol
post #49 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Do you remember the old days of the iPhone 3G, when Apple was slow to realise that a stylus was very important in Asia?

The bulk of Android phones being sold in Asia are small screen, cheap and basic, just like everywhere else.

Android IS small, cheap, basic with a smattering of higher end handsets, don't forget that.

I think the market might be changing. There are larger devices with lower price points on the horizon. The Galaxy Mega is one of them. If you A) can't afford or don't want a tablet and smartphone then one of these devices might be a perfect fit, or B) write in a logographic language then I can how these larger displays could be a great fit.

post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The only time you're patient is when you're in a doctors office lol

Ironically it's where you have to be as doctors are notorious for keeping you waiting.

post #51 of 71
Quote:

Well, I like to think I'm patient but I know I'm also very direct and candid which can easily mask any patience one might otherwise have.

Just gotta get to know you. Personally I like the candidness.

Wanted to add you're also one of the more fair-minded here too. There's no mistaking you're an enthusiastic fan of Apple and it's products, but you're not blinded by them either.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #52 of 71
Quote:

Ironically it's where you have to be as doctors are notorious for keeping you waiting.

Somehow don't think TS can be a patient patient, that's just one patient too many.
post #53 of 71
Gosh, guys, I'm feeling all warm and squishy inside. I don't know how to parse these comments; I think prefer when people are telling me I'm wrong. 1biggrin.gif

post #54 of 71
Quote:

Somehow don't think TS can be a patient patient, that's just one patient too many.

I certainly can't. Even with an iPhone or iPad in hand I absolutely can't stand being in a waiting room or sitting half naked in an overly cold and sterile room with nothing between my bum and metal bed is a large sheet of circa 1980 Russian toilet paper.

post #55 of 71
I think prefer when people are telling me I'm wrong. 1biggrin.gif

No, you don't. 1wink.gif

post #56 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Umm! "drivel" is a bit harsh.

Agreed, the antenna design was "ambitious" but it was stretching the envelope and their cloud services have not been very well realized, yet.

But, my point is Apple is at the forefront of incorporating the latest tech and sw. Whereas, it's competitors are merely "copying" Apple's innovations (and poorly)....whether it be the iPhone, iPad, all-in-one iMac, MBA, iOS, Retina displays, etc., etc.

But where Apple really excels is the "ecosystem." Everyone else, and I do mean everyone, can't hold a candle to that. It's not all about money, profit and market share.

Sometimes it's about providing great customer value! 

I feel ripped off by companies like Dell, HP, Samsung, RIM, Sony, MS, Google. They provide subpar products/services and because they are free, cheap or ad-based, I'm supposed to, somehow appreciate that.

Nope! :)

I like your style, Chris. However, trolls and haters live for their agenda and they feed off responses. To block or not to block, that is not the question. Just block, be fruitful and multiply your gains in the only ecosystem that works. 1smile.gif

Edited by mhikl - 4/15/13 at 10:31am

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

post #57 of 71
Quote:

Gosh, guys, I'm feeling all warm and squishy inside. I don't know how to parse these comments; I think prefer when people are telling me I'm wrong. 1biggrin.gif

Heh heh.  Don't worry. I'm sure your wish will be granted, and probably sooner than you hope .. 1biggrin.gif 1biggrin.gif

Seriously, I recall some very hot personality conflicts back when I was on CompuServe in the mid 80s.  This is quite often the case when debating over the sterile internet, and with strong personalities, be they old farts or young whippersnappers.

Then one day at a computer show up in Boston, a whole bunch of us ended up meeting each other.  Everyone went out together for dinner and drinks, and by the end of the night, all former enemies had forged long friendships.  Heck, most of us ended up hiring or getting jobs from each other over the years.

Sometimes people forget that the others on the forum are people too, and that's always more important than temporal pieces of plastic, metal and glass.

post #58 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I don't understand the first paragraph at all, or the second. Off the lithium again? As for the last question, I like Apple's products, I am typing this on a MBPr to which a iPad 4 is attached, and an iPhone 5 is in my pocket.  That does not make me like Apple as a company, nor does it make me think that everything without a half-eaten fruit on it is junk.  Imagine that! 

So you buy several products from a company you do not like? Huh! 

post #59 of 71
@ mhikl,

Check out Louis C.K.'s HBO Special Oh My God that aired just this past Saturday. He talks about some of his road rage experiences he's had and how he thinks and says things he wouldn't otherwise say in any other situation. The whole special is quite excellent.

post #60 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Why do you love the people who work at your local gas station?

Look, just because I gave the attendant at the gas station a handy for a free hotdog and bag of meth doesn't mean I love him¡

post #61 of 71
Quote:

@ mhikl,

Check out Louis C.K.'s HBO Special Oh My God that aired just this past Saturday. He talks about some of his road rage experiences he's had and how he thinks and says things he wouldn't otherwise say in any other situation. The whole special is quite excellent.

He's half Mexican, some on here might not like him, but he is one funny SOB.
post #62 of 71
Quote:

He's half Mexican, some on here might not like him, but he is one funny SOB.

I was just informed about that yesterday. I would have never guessed with his red hair and complexion.

post #63 of 71
Quote:

@ mhikl,

Thank’s to PBay I was able to see it. That’s fast, eh? Some good insights but humour is personal and I tire of cheap humour: foul language, put downs and negativism but it may just be a cultural thing; & maybe it was his audience who laughed loudest at every insult and foul word. I wonder if they got the bigger picture. I think he is clever and a very good speaker or at least could be; Thanks for the suggestion though.

post #64 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

...I tire of cheap humour: foul language, put downs and negativism...

Are you talking about stand-up comedy or internet forums? 1smoking.gif

post #65 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

I have seen quite number of reviews on iPhone 5 and HTC One.  Yes, they have awesome looks.  But, would they be out there without cases?  I have never seen an iPhone 5 without a case (all with hard plastic, part metal, TPU or sillicon case.....all ugly).  How would HTC One be with cases?

I prefer plastic body, but I think Sammy would have to go with some form of metal for the next Galaxy.

Have you seen a Galaxy S 3 with a broken screen?

Apparently it costs $450 to fix in New Zealand.

post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Have you seen a Galaxy S 3 with a broken screen?

Apparently it costs $450 to fix in New Zealand.

No, I have't, but I heard that S3 and Note2 screens could be broken easily when dropped as they do not have thin layer of plastic or something covering front glass edges.  I dont think fixing broken glass would cost that much, I would guess $200 (NZ Dollars).  

Do you use your iPhone without a case on?  My sister-in-law does but, after using it without a case for a while, she threads a silicon case out of her pocket and puts her iPhone back into the case.

post #67 of 71
Quote:

No, I have't, but I heard that S3 and Note2 screens could be broken easily when dropped as they do not have thin layer of plastic or something covering front glass edges.  I dont think fixing broken glass would cost that much, I would guess $200 (NZ Dollars).  

Do you use your iPhone without a case on?  My sister-in-law does but, after using it without a case for a while, she threads a silicon case out of her pocket and puts her iPhone back into the case.

I know you weren't asking me, but I've had an iPhone since 1st gen., and I've never had a case.  Now, granted, I'm very careful with all my tech as a matter of habit.  But even with a few oopsies here and there (my 3GS dropped off a window cill onto a tile floor -- ouch), none of the phones have seen any scratches or damage of any kind.

post #68 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I know you weren't asking me, but I've had an iPhone since 1st gen., and I've never had a case.  Now, granted, I'm very careful with all my tech as a matter of habit.  But even with a few oopsies here and there (my 3GS dropped off a window cill onto a tile floor -- ouch), none of the phones have seen any scratches or damage of any kind.

Well, although I've never seen anyone carrying iPhone without case, I expect tiny proportion of iPhone owners use their iPhone without cases.  And, I suspect, very small percentages of those who carry their iPhone without case have never had any scratches or damage on their iPhones since the first iPhone.  Congrates!

Generally, we carry smartphones with cases.  So, I don't know how casing of smartphone translates to "build quality" here, different casings would not terribly affect the user experience.  But, I guess, Sammy has to follow this 'build quality' marketing trend.

post #69 of 71
Quote:

Well, although I've never seen anyone carrying iPhone without case, I expect tiny proportion of iPhone owners use their iPhone without cases.  And, I suspect, very small percentages of those who carry their iPhone without case have never had any scratches or damage on their iPhones since the first iPhone.  Congrates!

Generally, we carry smartphones with cases.  So, I don't know how casing of smartphone translates to "build quality" here, different casings would not terribly affect the user experience.  But, I guess, Sammy has to follow this 'build quality' marketing trend.

Yeah, I wasn't questioning your initial comment.  When I go the coffee shop, most of the iPhones I see do have cases.  No doubt.

I think the build quality thing is more of having a positive view of the object, believing in how it's put together.

post #70 of 71
Quote:

I dont think fixing broken glass would cost that much, I would guess $200 (NZ Dollars).  

$NZ450, I met someone who dropped their phone while on holiday there, in Australia it's around $A300.

The S3 was in a case, it "popped" out of it.

Large, curved plastic objects don't work well with some cases, I expect the S4 to be worse as there is less bezel around the screen.

post #71 of 71
Wow! I would buy a Nexus 4 with that much. Hahaha
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung said to plan build quality improvement to counter iPhone, HTC One