or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile touts 'gangbusters' first day of iPhone sales

T-Mobile touts 'gangbusters' first day of iPhone sales

post #1 of 46
First day sales of Apple's iPhone on T-Mobile's network have the carrier's executives beaming, with T-Mobile's Chief Marketing Officer calling the day "gangbusters" for the carrier.

tmobile
Customers line up ahead of T-Mobile's iPhone launch. Image via BTIG Research's Walter Piecyk (@piecykw)

"Today has been gangbusters for T-Mobile," CMO Mike Sievert told AllThingsD last week. "We experienced lines out the door this morning at nearly all of our almost 3,000 stores nationwide."

The iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4 debuted on T-Mobile on Friday, and Sievert's comments back up reports from multiple outlets that customers had lined up at T-Mobile locations around the country to get their hands on Apple's smartphone. Sievert provided no estimate of first day sales or any indication that the stores had sold through their iPhone stocks.

AllThingsD notes, though, that some reports had those lines dissipating as the day wore on, with the crowds mostly gone by midday.

Up until Friday, the iPhone wasn't officially offered by T-Mobile. Instead, the carrier encouraged iPhone owners on other networks to switch to T-Mobile and bring their devices along. Those users, though, were stuck with slower data speeds due to the Apple handset's incompatibility with T-Mobile's higher-speed offerings.

T-Mobile is the last of the big four U.S. carriers to get the iPhone. The company hopes to siphon customers from its competitors by offering a novel pricing structure and a no-contract standard. T-Mobile's pricing switch has caught the attention of other carriers, though it remains to be seen how they will react.
post #2 of 46
Gut says current tmobile customers. Majority current iPhone, non-TM would be waiting for 5S to switch.

Edit: grats tMobile, present and future customers.
post #3 of 46
I really hate the use of such terms. Get back to us when you have some actual figures, or at least some estimates.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #4 of 46
Samsung would fucking kill to have lineups for a phone they released 7 months ago.

I hope all the analysts/troll shrieking how interest in iPhones is waning and people have gotten "bored" will shut the **** up now. People will still lineup for quality, and a quality product.
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I really hate the use of such terms. Get back to us when you have some actual figures, or at least some estimates.

Speak for yourself. I am -- and I am sure lots of others are -- perfectly happy with a carrier sounding elated about an Apple product. The numbers will come.
post #6 of 46

I'm more interested in hearing future work on network growth.

post #7 of 46

It's cold outside, it's raining, these people are obviously waiting around to buy brand new Android phones! Nope!lol.gif They're standing in line for an Apple phone that was released last year!1biggrin.gif Fandroids, go suck on it. Your lies will get you nowhere.1smoking.gif

post #8 of 46

T-Mobile's network is slowly and quietly expanding. Here in Sacto, I am seeing 4G service in more places on my 4S over the past couple of weeks. Edge is still the majority, but, especially after MetroPCS's acquisition, high speed cellular should be the norm within months, finally.. been patiently waiting for this as an iPhone T-Mobile customer since last October. 

post #9 of 46

And in related news:

Here is a picture from a recent Samsung launch. In this picture, if you look closely, you can see at least 428 Fandroids all waiting in line, wearing their invisible cloaks, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the newest Android phone.

post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think all those people are peeing on the T-Mobile store.

post #11 of 46
T-Mobile will most likely sell these to existing customers first. I know two people switching to T-Mobile, but they are waiting for their contracts to expire first. There was a small line when I went in to the T-Mobile store Saturday night (I was there Friday as well). The people in line all wanted the iPhone.
post #12 of 46

To be fair though, there is one other recent line of people that beats out the number of people waiting in line to purchase an iPhone 5 from T-mobile.

This is a picture of customers, patiently waiting in line to return their BB10's.

post #13 of 46
Quote:

I think all those people are peeing on the T-Mobile store.

As long as they're all walking out with an iPhone 5, then that's fine by me, let them go right ahead.

post #14 of 46

"T-Mobile's pricing switch has caught the attention of other carriers, though it remains to be seen how they will react."

It is clear that there is a considerable number of people who are not satisfied with the standard 2 year contract that the cartel (ATT, VZW, & SPR) has established, or who simply are unwilling to continue paying subsidy rates for service long after their phone is paid-for.  Whether the cartel will see this and respond is TBD.  It may be that even with the enthusiastic adoption of a year-old phone, these are simply not the type of customers or the number of customers that will cause the cartel to change their SOP.

Still, ya gotta wonder whether the next iteration of the Samsung phone will be as eagerly sought by first day shoppers.

post #15 of 46
Wow, hope Apple has enough supply to keep up with all 11 of those customers!

Seriously, if this was the line for a Samsung/HTC/Nokia/Scary Movie 5 launch, you'd all be rolling around laughing at how pathetic it is....
post #16 of 46
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Seriously, if this was the line for a Samsung/HTC/Nokia/Scary Movie 5 launch, you'd all be rolling around laughing at how pathetic it is....

It's T-mobile, for a 7 month phone, bad weather...

Anyway, they are really stupid. Why wait in line? I don't get it.

post #17 of 46
Bit irritating though that there is no "US-only" category on that site. I mean, who the hell cares that some small carrier in America has succeeded in selling a few iPhones?

I want to have Apple-related news, not T-Mobile related news, please.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

"T-Mobile's pricing switch has caught the attention of other carriers, though it remains to be seen how they will react."

It is clear that there is a considerable number of people who are not satisfied with the standard 2 year contract that the cartel (ATT, VZW, & SPR) has established, or who simply are unwilling to continue paying subsidy rates for service long after their phone is paid-for.  Whether the cartel will see this and respond is TBD.  It may be that even with the enthusiastic adoption of a year-old phone, these are simply not the type of customers or the number of customers that will cause the cartel to change their SOP.

Still, ya gotta wonder whether the next iteration of the Samsung phone will be as eagerly sought by first day shoppers.

Straight Talk doesn't get much press, but they seem to be doing quite well, also. I don't know if it's their presence at Walmart or their no-contract terms and unlimited everything pricing, but I suspect that it's some of both. i know I don't like 2 year contracts and the enormous subsidies that the traditional carriers are charging and suspect that lots of others are in the same boat.
Quote:

Uh huh. Samsung doesn't get this kind of lines even for their newest phones. This is an old phone halfway through it's release cycle and people are standing outside in the rain. Nokia? Even in their prime, the never generated interest like this. Clearly, Apple generates demand that their competitors can only dream about.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #19 of 46
Quote:

11 > 0
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Bit irritating though that there is no "US-only" category on that site. I mean, who the hell cares that some small carrier in America has succeeded in selling a few iPhones?

I want to have Apple-related news, not T-Mobile related news, please.

Comment liked, at this moment in time this thread should really be in a back page somewhere.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #21 of 46

A friend of mine who is in a regional position with TMobile told me his stores have been "slammed" with customers wanting iPhones. i didn't ask for any particular numbers, but he said they are "ecstatic" about the response so far. Not bad for products that have been out for a while already!

post #22 of 46

Pathetic is when you're too blind to your own propaganda to realize that people are WAITING IN LINE FOR A SIX MONTH OLD PHONE.

It's not a launch, you useless troll. Shut up.

post #23 of 46

Exactly how many T-Mobile LTE markets are there that support the iPhone 5?  How many markets are HSPA or HSPA+?  The coverage maps on the T-Mobile website lump 3G and 4G (whatever they mean by 4G) together.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Exactly how many T-Mobile LTE markets are there that support the iPhone 5?  How many markets are HSPA or HSPA+?  The coverage maps on the T-Mobile website lump 3G and 4G (whatever they mean by 4G) together.

I think their HSPA+ is quite extensive as they had to really push that in lieu of having a decent spectrum for growing LTE.

As for their LTE it's currently only covering 7 cities: Baltimore, MD; Kansas City, KS; Houston, TX; Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; San Jose, CA and Washington D.C. That said, you'll likely hear people defend T-Mobile by saying that they only advertise a market as being covered when they have completely blanketed the entire market. While that is true it really don't give anyone wanting LTE on T-Mobile any info if they not in those 7 cities.

That said, one typically chooses T-Mobile for the cost savings, and for that their '3G' is up to 42Mbps which I'd think is more than adequate for the cost conscience.

post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pathetic is when you're too blind to your own propaganda to realize that people are WAITING IN LINE FOR A SIX MONTH OLD PHONE.

It's not a launch, you useless troll. Shut up.

It's not surprising that there were lines because the vast majority of iPhone users on T-mobile were always 1 or 2 models behind so while we may see it as a 6 month old phone they see it as being 6 months ahead of schedule.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #26 of 46
Quote:

If people are getting 20 + MB a second downloads on T-Mobile HSPC +, why does it matter? I barely get 6 MB downloads on my home broad band Internet, yet I am able to listen to Pandora, stream Netflix, download large files without waiting terribly long, surf the web, etc. Once you get to a certain speed, the speed becomes nothing more than marketing for most people.
post #27 of 46
Quote:

Quote:

I think their HSPA+ is quite extensive as they had to really push that in lieu of having a decent spectrum for growing LTE.

As for their LTE it's currently only covering 7 cities: Baltimore, MD; Kansas City, KS; Houston, TX; Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; San Jose, CA and Washington D.C. That said, you'll likely hear people defend T-Mobile by saying that they only advertise a market as being covered when they have completely blanketed the entire market. While that is true it really don't give anyone wanting LTE on T-Mobile any info if they not in those 7 cities.

That said, one typically chooses T-Mobile for the cost savings, and for that their '3G' is up to 42Mbps which I'd think is more than adequate for the cost conscience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If people are getting 20 + MB a second downloads on T-Mobile HSPC +, why does it matter? I barely get 6 MB downloads on my home broad band Internet, yet I am able to listen to Pandora, stream Netflix, download large files without waiting terribly long, surf the web, etc. Once you get to a certain speed, the speed becomes nothing more than marketing for most people.

Is it really too much to ask?  Shouldn't people be able to determine what sorts of speeds they should be able to expect from a "money saving" T-Mobile alternative?  Dropping from HSPA to 2G, for example, would be quite a hit to take if their iPhone 5 won't support "normal" 3G.

post #28 of 46
Quote:

Is it really too much to ask?  Shouldn't people be able to determine what sorts of speeds they should be able to expect from a "money saving" T-Mobile alternative?  Dropping from HSPA to 2G, for example, would be quite a hit to take if their iPhone 5 won't support "normal" 3G.

They don't show where they don't even have '3G" coverage? That's usually a huge drop but as TBell stated going from DC-HSDPAto LTE might not even be noticeable on the iPhone. You may even get faster speeds with HSPA+ than LTE under certain conditions.

I've stated many times before that I think the whole generational naming scheme toward customers is highly flawed. 384kbps is '3G' but we're also suppose to consider anything under LTE as '3G' even though HSPA+ is rated for 168Mbps? That's a difference of 448x between the two and we're suppose to call them all '3G'. I'm not even going to get into how people still call LTE '3G' if it's not LTE Advance. I would much prefer that the phone show a more useful value that is the lowest possible theoretical connection between the device and the tower. For instance, if you have a 42Mbps connection it might say 4x at the top inside of 3G denoting 4x10 = 40, rounded from 42. 100Mbps LTE would be 10x, and so on.

post #29 of 46

I got one last night but I think I will return it. The grass is not as green as I thought. To be honest this thing is more buggy than my nexus 4 running cyanogen mod 10.1 nightlies. Since I got this iPhone 5 I have had to power cycle it three times. I only power cycled my nexus 4 when I updated it twice a week. The battery life is also pretty bad. Maybe its just me but I can't use an unrelieble device. 

post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I got one last night but I think I will return it. The grass is not as green as I thought. To be honest this thing is more buggy than my nexus 4 running cyanogen mod 10.1 nightlies. Since I got this iPhone 5 I have had to power cycle it three times. I only power cycled my nexus 4 when I updated it twice a week. The battery life is also pretty bad. Maybe its just me but I can't use an unrelieble device. 

Apparently I'm patient but I don't see how I can be when your comment makes me want to virtually slap you upside the head Gibbs-style for posting what is either complete BS or user error.

post #31 of 46
Quote:

It's one thing to claim you don't like particular functionality, but claiming the iPhone 5 is unstable is a pretty big red flag that you're lying. As for battery life, everyone's mileage may vary but both my wife and I get minimum 2-3 days of life out of a charge - and I'm an above average data user.

post #32 of 46
Quote:

You're funny.lol.gif

post #33 of 46

What Kasper thinks we gain as a community by letting this level of sheer idiocy and lying remain is beyond me.

post #34 of 46
Quote:

What Kasper thinks we gain as a community by letting this level of sheer idiocy and lying remain is beyond me.

It may not be "idiocy" as there is now evidence that Samsung hires people to talk smack about other companies and their products.

post #35 of 46
It may not be "idiocy" as there is now evidence that Samsung hires people to talk smack about other companies and their products.

That seems like idiocy to me, but hey. lol.gif

We know Adobe did it during the fight for Flash in aught eight, and the biggest video game companies pay off people to fake viral marketing on forums. As they also pay off review websites for higher scores, I imagine the same could happen with Samsung and reviews of its products.

post #36 of 46
Quote:

Well, not Samsung altogether, but at least the boss of that particular subdivision in Taiwan apparently thought it was a good idea.   Sounds like he's in trouble now.

Maybe he got the idea from the way the mainland Chinese government hired people to talk smack about Apple.

post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

It's one thing to claim you don't like particular functionality, but claiming the iPhone 5 is unstable is a pretty big red flag that you're lying. As for battery life, everyone's mileage may vary but both my wife and I get minimum 2-3 days of life out of a charge - and I'm an above average data user.

When I first got it I was getting atrocious data speeds so I powercycled it and then my speeds started to be acceptible. Than about four hours later i was attempting to download an app and it would not open. So I had to powercycle the phone once again. I also notice that unless I tap really hard on things in the appstore it does not read the touches. I restored the phone last night and I am still getting the issue in the app store where I have to press really hard to get a link to work.

Quote:

There is only one problem with that theory. I been a member on this website for 2 years now and I have been for the most part neutral on arguements. Before you say I am a Samsung drone look at my history. I am willing to accept the fact that I have a defective unit but to just dismiss this as me having a user issue because the iPhone 5 can't have problems is fooling your self.

post #38 of 46

I am willing to accept the fact that I have a defective unit but to just dismiss this as me having a user issue because the iPhone 5 can't have problems is fooling your self.

You can certainly have had a user issue, and you can certainly have received a lemon. That wasn't ever in question.

YOU are dismissing the iPhone 5—as a concept—as defective.

post #39 of 46
Quote:

You can certainly have had a user issue, and you can certainly have received a lemon. That wasn't ever in question.

YOU are dismissing the iPhone 5—as a concept—as defective.

Ok I have to agree with you here. I am going to return it tomorrow to the t-mobile store I got it from and try it from take two. I still don't think I can use a iPhone as a main phone and I most likely will give this phone to my older sister as a gift and go back to my nexus at the end of the week. I am such a awesome little brother. 

post #40 of 46
Quote:

When I first got it I was getting atrocious data speeds so I powercycled it and then my speeds started to be acceptible. Than about four hours later i was attempting to download an app and it would not open. So I had to powercycle the phone once again. I also notice that unless I tap really hard on things in the appstore it does not read the touches. I restored the phone last night and I am still getting the issue in the app store where I have to press really hard to get a link to work.

If that were a design issue, you'd be hearing a ton of complaints. The issues you are citing do not appear to be at all common - which suggests that it's an issue with that particular phone. Take it back to the Apple Store (or wherever you got it) and ask for a new one.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile touts 'gangbusters' first day of iPhone sales