or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › How to boot silently?

How to boot silently?

post #1 of 4

Pretty annoying to get this big sound DOOOONNG when you start the macbook, especially in the middle of a class or in a silent library.

Any clue on how to turn it off?

Thanks

post #2 of 4

By having your audio turned all the way down at boot.

Or you could try this, but it's old and by just some random guy.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #3 of 4
The best way I find is to run the following command in the terminal, which seems to put it on the quietest setting:

sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=" "

That's a space between the double quotes. Some people suggest different values to disable it like the following but the space is the only value I get to work consistently:

sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume="%80"
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume="%00"

It would be nice if it just accepted integers e.g 0-3. To reset it, you can either reset the PRAM with command-option-p-r at boot or with the following:

sudo nvram -d SystemAudioVolume

I've noticed that sometimes plugging in and unplugging earphones resets it, which could be why people have made preference panes etc but try it and see. I don't mind the noise being separate from the audio system but there's no need for Apple to make it so loud.
post #4 of 4

Thank you Mavericks.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › How to boot silently?