or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's Schmidt: We'd like Apple have Google Maps as default on iOS

Google's Schmidt: We'd like Apple have Google Maps as default on iOS - Page 2

post #41 of 130
He doesn't know Jack Schmidt...
post #42 of 130
Maps is way out ahead of anything Google is offering, developer support being just one element. I've yet to see how Google Maps is a better mapping app, in many cases it is far worst. To each his own but I'm finding myself reaching for Apples maps app more and more because it does what it does really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

As a mapping app developer I would NOT like to have Google Maps be the default for iOS. They come with too many restrictions on what app developers can do with them. If your app is successful and a lot of people use it, Google can turn off their maps. All of Google's mapping SDKs come with a long list of things you CAN'T do with them. Apple's maps are improving rapidly. They are vector and smaller to download. They are cached on the device so even if you lose connection to the internet, the maps still work over a large area. Google's maps are tiled bitmaps for many different scale levels. Caching them would require a lot of data storage but that does not matter because caching is one of the things that you are not allowed to do. Thanks but I will keep Apple's maps.
post #43 of 130

Apple's complete control over iOS, is just one of the reasons I am in the process of leaving the iOS ecosystem.  I like google maps, apple maps aren't bad, but I want a choice... I can go to another application, but I can't set google maps as a default.  Same thing goes for my web browser.  Safari isn't bad, but I prefer the way chrome syncs across all my devices.  Yet, on my ipad I'm stuck using safari when I click on links from emails, or applications.  It's a real annoyance that apple thinks they know what's best for me.  Their arrogance is worse than MS when it came to internet explorer.  At least you could set netscape as your default browser back in the day.  

I'm sure many of you will go on loving apple product, and that's fine with me, I don't really care.  But claiming that things like apple maps don't matter, and users don't want choice is just burying your head in the sand.  It's no wonder apple's stock has fallen.  their market share numbers may be #1 for now, but with the arrogance that apple's gone with, I could see it dropping fast, the only question is when. 

As far as the cost of leaving the iOS ecosystem... Having $25 or so worth of software on one device won't hold people back.  especially when apple's products are prices $100 or more than the competitors.

Phil

post #44 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

The main take away is Apple wasn't getting the same updates on iOS as Android was getting. Why should they be left behind? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Google's maps are tiled bitmaps for many different scale levels. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forangels View Post

Too late Shmitty, in my opinion, Apples maps is already better than Google maps, you should have thought of that before. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacodb View Post

For a long time you gave us a sub par maps experience on the iPhone. Now you want to cry? I love Apple Maps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Right on, Google didn't keep their Apple iOS Maps up to date.  

Ummm...you guys do realize that the old versions of iOS Maps were written by Apple....right?!? Google only provided the data that was driving the application (graphics, POI, etc). It was up to Apple to update the mapping application and take advantage of the latest SDK features.

post #45 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Ummm...you guys do realize that the old versions of iOS Maps were written by Apple....right?!? Google only provided the data that was driving the application (graphics, POI, etc). It was up to Apple to update the mapping application and take advantage of the latest SDK features.

But what if Apple needed Google's approval before implementing certain features (e.g. turn-by-turn) on iOS? Rumor has it that that's what happened. 

post #46 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

HE STARTED AGAIN.  THIS GUY IS HAVING POTS AND POTS OF VODKA AND COMING TO PRESS AND TALKING.

Nope. He's stone cold sober and still talks like this

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #47 of 130
Apple would like Google to pay royalties for the Android OS.
post #48 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

But what if Apple needed Google's approval before implementing certain features (e.g. turn-by-turn) on iOS? Rumor has it that that's what happened. 

There certainly would have been a licensing agreement as Google was paying Apple for the privilege of being the default mapping provider. As I understand it, Apple did not want to broker a deal based upon the conditions given by Google. We simply don't know what those conditions were. The disagreement could have been as simple as Apple not wanting to include the name 'Google' anywhere in their application, or Apple wanting more money for including Google mapping services.

post #49 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Schmidt also downplayed the notion any increasing tensions between Google and Samsung. Samsung is essentially the only Android manufacturer making money on its handsets, and the South Korean conglomerate's Galaxy line arguably has better name recognition than the Android software underlying it.

"We've spent lots of time with Samsung," Schmidt said, "and I can confirm to you that the press coverage of 'tensions' is not correct."

"Ye have brought this man unto me, as one that perverteth the people; and behold, I, having examined him before you, have found no fault in this man touching those things whereof ye accuse him."

Pontius Pilate

Nothing quite so encouraging as a public vote of confidence from a high-ranking official!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #50 of 130
Originally Posted by excelsior View Post
You've never seen Metro?

You've not seen Google's new designs? lol.gif

Because....?

Come off it.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #51 of 130

Breaking news, "Google chairman believes google app should be default on iOS". 

What a shocking statement. Why the **** is this a story again? What will be tomorrow's headline? "Eric Schmidt believes that Google is a great company"?

Jesus Christ. The troll-bait map comparison in the article is just icing on this cake of this shitty "story". 

post #52 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. A lot vitriol here. But what the heck, I am going to stick my neck out into the lion's den.

After months of using both, I have to honestly admit that I prefer Google Maps. Although Apple's maps have an overall cleaner appearance, the user interface is much simpler and more efficient with Google (especially when it comes to having edit or redo addresses for directions -- e.g., put in a new starting or new ending point without having to provide all of the info all over again).

Second, I have repeatedly run into situations -- and I am talking about being in reasonably well-worn parts of the US (even though not big cities), not some off-the-beaten-path locations in the boondocks -- where Google just seems to be able to recognize more street names and addresses than Apple does. I am sure Apple's maps are steadily improving on this front, but the number of times that Apple maps has returned something to the effect of "address not found" but Google is able to find it is frankly distressing. (And, tbh, I have neither the time nor the interest in sending complaints to Apple each time that happens).

Third, Google Maps is well-integrated with my car (a BMW). Apple could get there eventually, but it would have to give me something significantly additional, such as seamless Siri integration with my car's navigation system to get me to switch.

There, I said it.1tongue.gif

I tried to use Google Maps on the iPad.  However, it is an iPhone application.  Of course the experience is very bad.  The Apple Maps on iPad is a full screen app.  It trounces Google Maps easily.

We will never forget when Google introduced the Android smartphone in late 2009, it touted it has navigation feature as better the Google Map app on the iPhone.  Google had done evil to iPhone users despite it makes a ton of money from them.  We should never trust a business that runs like this. 

post #53 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

Apple's complete control over iOS, is just one of the reasons I am in the process of leaving the iOS ecosystem.  I like google maps, apple maps aren't bad, but I want a choice... I can go to another application, but I can't set google maps as a default.  Same thing goes for my web browser.  Safari isn't bad, but I prefer the way chrome syncs across all my devices.  Yet, on my ipad I'm stuck using safari when I click on links from emails, or applications.  It's a real annoyance that apple thinks they know what's best for me.  Their arrogance is worse than MS when it came to internet explorer.  At least you could set netscape as your default browser back in the day.  

I'm sure many of you will go on loving apple product, and that's fine with me, I don't really care.  But claiming that things like apple maps don't matter, and users don't want choice is just burying your head in the sand.  It's no wonder apple's stock has fallen.  their market share numbers may be #1 for now, but with the arrogance that apple's gone with, I could see it dropping fast, the only question is when. 

As far as the cost of leaving the iOS ecosystem... Having $25 or so worth of software on one device won't hold people back.  especially when apple's products are prices $100 or more than the competitors.

Phil

Bye bye.  Please leave Apple Insider.  What is your purpose of staying here then?

post #54 of 130
I like Eric. Whatever he says about these topics, the reality is the opposite.
post #55 of 130

What iOS users really need is the ability to set their own default apps on their device: default web browser, default email client, default mapping app, default PDF viewing app, default music listening app, default text editor, etc.

post #56 of 130
Quote:

Phil

What a shitty post. There's more "options" today on apple platforms that there ever has been in it's history. Oh no, if you want to use Google maps, you have to..TAP THE ICON!. The horror. How will being able to change it to the default really affect anything? It has nothing to do with "arrogance". Apple can design it's mobile OS hoever the **** it wants, and does so in a matter that it believes is most intuitive to the majority of people, not OCD geeks who feel the need to change the defaults for everything.  If you want to leave iOS do it- there's no reaon to make a threatening speech about it. For every user like you that Apple loses, they'll gain another 5. 

And your statement about the stock is hilarious. "It's no wonder apple's stock has fallen."

Yeah, clearly the stock has fallen because "lack of choice"- because back when it was $700 last year, iOS was an open platform and stuff, right? And back then, Apple offered so many more "choices", right? It's hilarious that you would attempt to blame the stock drop on an aspect of Apple that has remained constant almost since it's inception, an aspect which has seen it grow exponentially into the company it is today. And yet, suddenly you're attributing the stock drop to the fact that "Apple thinks it knows whats best for you", as if that just happened yesterday. The stock has absolutely nothing to do with that, as I doubt investors, analysts, or market manipulators give 2 fucks about the ability to defaults. You're clearly a troll who has never liked Apple, because any other explanation would make no sense. You have infinitely more map options and features on iOS than you did a year ago,and the Google maps app is also much, much better than what we had previously, as is Apple maps. 

" It's a real annoyance that apple thinks they know what's best for me"

You're right, Apple shouldn't decide on whats best. It should be a democracy, where they take the input of the entire world population and then somehow try to design something that pleases everey single individual. God forbid that Apple thinks it knows whats best for most people. I mean, what part of their track record would give them that confidence? Certainly not the part where they revolutionized 7 industries, and became one of the worlds most successful and loved companies. No, clearly someone like you knows much better. 

post #57 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

You are a liar.  I tried to use Google Maps on the iPad.  However, it is an iPhone application.  Of course the experience is very bad.  The Apple Maps on iPad is a full screen app.  It trounces Google Maps easily.

We will never forget when Google introduced the Android smartphone in late 2009, it touted it has navigation feature as better the Google Map app on the iPhone.  Google had done evil to iPhone users despite it makes a ton of money from them.  We should never trust a business that runs like this. 

In all fairness it had to offer some unique features for the platform to be attractive. It's common business practice and it wasn't about 'screwing' iPhone users it was more a lure to get them to change platforms.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #58 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a shitty post. There's more "options" today on apple platforms that there ever has been in it's history. Oh no, if you want to use Google maps, you have to..TAP THE ICON!. The horror. How will being able to change it to the default really affect anything? It has nothing to do with "arrogance". Apple can design it's mobile OS hoever the **** it wants, and does so in a matter that it believes is most intuitive to the majority of people, not OCD geeks who feel the need to change the defaults for everything.  If you want to leave iOS do it- there's no reaon to make a threatening speech about it. For every user like you that Apple loses, they'll gain another 5. 

And your statement about the stock is hilarious. "It's no wonder apple's stock has fallen."

Yeah, clearly the stock has fallen because "lack of choice"- because back when it was $700 last year, iOS was an open platform and stuff, right? And back then, Apple offered so many more "choices", right? It's hilarious that you would attempt to blame the stock drop on an aspect of Apple that has remained constant almost since it's inception, an aspect which has seen it grow exponentially into the company it is today. And yet, suddenly you're attributing the stock drop to the fact that "Apple thinks it knows whats best for you", as if that just happened yesterday. The stock has absolutely nothing to do with that, as I doubt investors, analysts, or market manipulators give 2 fucks about the ability to defaults. You're clearly a troll who has never liked Apple, because any other explanation would make no sense. You have infinitely more map options and features on iOS than you did a year ago,and the Google maps app is also much, much better than what we had previously, as is Apple maps. 

"
 It's a real annoyance that apple thinks they know what's best for me"

You're right, Apple shouldn't decide on whats best. It should be a democracy, where they take the input of the entire world population and then somehow try to design something that pleases everey single individual. God forbid that Apple thinks it knows whats best for most people. I mean, what part of their track record would give them that confidence? Certainly not the part where they revolutionized 7 industries, and became one of the worlds most successful and loved companies. No, clearly someone like you knows much better. 

I always imagine such people don't shop at the closed systems of Kroger, Safeway, Target, or Walmart nor "dine" at Applebee's, Chili's, McDonald's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, or Subway.

They must do everything for themselves:
  • automotive engineering
  • butchering
  • canning
  • circuit design and fabrication
  • farming (bees, cattle, chicken, sheep)
  • fashion design
  • fishing
  • knitting
  • leatherworking
  • metalworking
  • programming
  • woodwork

Edited by MacBook Pro - 4/16/13 at 5:42pm
post #59 of 130
My only problem with Apple's maps app is that it doesn't check LOCALLY first when I enter an incomplete address. It has no problem checking locally first for other entered items, but for addresses, it's like all of a sudden it wants me to be in California or the Midwest. WTF?? Why not assume I want the LOCAL version of 1234 Address ST, in my own frickin' state???
post #60 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

My only problem with Apple's maps app is that it doesn't check LOCALLY first when I enter an incomplete address. It has no problem checking locally first for other entered items, but for addresses, it's like all of a sudden it wants me to be in California or the Midwest. WTF?? Why not assume I want the LOCAL version of 1234 Address ST, in my own frickin' state???

Do you not receive a list with previous destinations given preference?
post #61 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

In all fairness it had to offer some unique features for the platform to be attractive. It's common business practice and it wasn't about 'screwing' iPhone users it was more a lure to get them to change platforms.

So Google will screw us again in the future and it is still being fair?

post #62 of 130
Quote:

So Google will screw us again in the future and it is still being fair?

It's not like Apple doesn't come out with features the previous devices can't use. So getting screwed by Apple is just fine but don't let anyone else do it.
post #63 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's not like Apple doesn't come out with features the previous devices can't use. So getting screwed by Apple is just fine but don't let anyone else do it.

Do you mean many early Android smartphones can not upgrade to the newest version is for business sake too? 

post #64 of 130
Of course he would like that. What an arrogant bitch.
Now you want to give the iOS turn by turn.
F you.
post #65 of 130
Quote:

And you are just a name-caller (whom I will report).

Where did I say I used it on an iPad?

PS: I see that knee-jerk MacBook Pro agreed with you. Stay classy, man!ᵢ

Do you admit that you are ignorant not knowing Google Maps does not have an iPad version?  

post #66 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh no, if you want to use Google maps, you have to..TAP THE ICON!. The horror. How will being able to change it to the default really affect anything?

If I get an email with an address and I touch it, it will take it to Apple maps. If I want to use Google maps instead, how can it be achieved? I get a http link in an email, if I touch it, it will take me to Safari. How to get that to Chrome? That is what setting default will do.

post #67 of 130

Is this the same guy who told the world Apple was holding approvals of apps that Google hadn't submitted?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #68 of 130
Quote:

I'm sure many of you will go on loving apple product, and that's fine with me, I don't really care.

Phil

Neither do I. About whether you like Apple or not.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #69 of 130
Quote:

Quote:

And you are just a name-caller (whom I will report).

Where did I say I used it on an iPad?

PS: I see that knee-jerk MacBook Pro agreed with you. Stay classy, man!ᵢ

Do you admit that you are ignorant not knowing Google Maps does not have an iPad version?  

Looks like we have a Reading Comprehension 101 issue here.

Sigh......

post #70 of 130
Quote:

Do you mean many early Android smartphones can not upgrade to the newest version is for business sake too? 

That's more the fault of the manufacturers and carriers than Google.
post #71 of 130
Hmmm, an app that I've had no problems with or an app that I've had lots of issues with?

I think I'll stick to Apple's app thank you very much. It's worked very well for me. Can't say the same with Google Maps though.
post #72 of 130
Schmidt: That horse has already left the barn. You were the ones who refused to give Apple real-time mapping data so Apple could have turn-by-turn directions in Maps. Apple, thus, had to come up with its own mapping program.

Now Apple has surpassed Google Maps in accuracy for turn-by-turn directions in the U.S. And over time, as Apple pours more money into Maps, it will be better than Google.

Moreover, Google now gets NO DATA from Apple users as the result of losing Apple as a customer.

Boo hoo hoo. But it is Google's fault for losing Apple.
post #73 of 130
I hope Facebook Home takes over every Android Phone - like a parasite. Ha ha ha ha on Google.
post #74 of 130

i'm worried. if he keeps going on like this, Schmidt is in serious danger of choking to death on his own bullshit.

post #75 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Everything you need to know about the situation, right there in once sentence.

100% spot on. 

post #76 of 130
Quote:

Android was created in 2003 and bought in 2005 by Google. Schmidt was INVITED onto Apple's board in 2006. I think you forgot how to math.

And you wanna know how that was "okay"?

It didn't happen. If it did happen then you are essentially admitting that Steve Jobs and whomever else is at Apple from back then is/was a moron.

Google did not make a smartphone before late 2009?  How did Google develop the Android OS without a smartphone?  And the Nexus functions so similar to the iPhone.  The only explanation is the Android OS team developed the OS based on the iPhone.  This is thief.   No wonder Steve Jobs was so mad that he wants to use all Apple profits for a thermonuclear war against the crook.

post #77 of 130
Quote:

Android was created in 2003 and bought in 2005 by Google. Schmidt was INVITED onto Apple's board in 2006. I think you forgot how to math.

And you wanna know how that was "okay"?

It didn't happen. If it did happen then you are essentially admitting that Steve Jobs and whomever else is at Apple from back then is/was a moron.

no, Schmidt simply engaged in industrial espionage. the 2005 Android UI was modeled on the Blackberry, there is no argument about that well documented fact. then Eric The Mole got an iPhone prototype to the Google engineers as soon as he got his hands on one after he got on the Apple board. and bingo! suddenly the Android UI changes to an iOS concept.

great spies/con men know how to get people to trust them. even smart people who should know better. that is their special talent.

post #78 of 130
Quote:

The G1 was released in October of 2008.

And you've never used a Nexus if you think it functions so similar to the iPhone.

The similarities between iOS and Android are not as strong as you have been led to believe.

The copycat of Android is very serious.  Android used exactly the same sequence of dots to indicate the home screens.  Android used a home button too.  I have not used an Android phone.  But I believe the home concept is never in Android 1.0. 

post #79 of 130
Tim : we would like google to pay us the license fees for copying ios by default .
post #80 of 130
Quote:

Android was created in 2003 and bought in 2005 by Google. Schmidt was INVITED onto Apple's board in 2006. ...

You're simply confused by the fact that their are two distinct OS's referred to as "Android". There's the Blackberry copycat OS that existed prior to 2007, then, there's the iOS copycat OS that was created after that. Your confusion is understandable, since both of them are called "Android" but they are in fact two distinct OS's: Android I & Android II. Android II was created after Schmidt joined the Apple board, after iOS was revealed. So, regardless of whether Schmidt personally engaged in industrial sabotage, Android II is a copy of iOS, and this argument of, "Android was created in 2003..." refers to Android I and has nothing to do with the iOS clone Android II.

That can't be any clearer, so anyone presenting this argument in contradiction of the fact that present day Android (Android II) is a clone of iOS either has no idea what they are talking about, or is deliberately being dishonest.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google's Schmidt: We'd like Apple have Google Maps as default on iOS