or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Taiwan's tech companies banding together with Apple to take on Samsung

Taiwan's tech companies banding together with Apple to take on Samsung

post #1 of 105
The dominance of South Korea's Samsung in the technology industry's supply chain has sparked fears among Taiwan-based companies, who are making moves to counter Samsung and align with major device makers like Apple.

Samsung was even accused by a local magazine of launching an internal "Kill Taiwan" campaign, according to a report from the Associated Press on Wednesday. Samsung has denied those claims, but the rumors have helped spur Taiwanese companies to come together as a counterpunch to Samsung's market successes.

iPhone 5 Teardown
iPhone 5 parts via iFixit

Taiwan's issues can be seen through HTC, a company that was once a serious threat in the competitive smartphone market, but has recently faced major struggles against Samsung and Apple.

There's also the semiconductor industry, where Samsung has made inroads on a business that has long been a stronghold for Taiwan. To date, Samsung has been the exclusive provider of custom CPUs for the iPhone and iPad, but it's believed that Apple is planning to switch away from Samsung due to competition between the two companies.

Longstanding rumors have pegged Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. as Apple's most likely partner in a chip switch. Wednesday's latest report again reaffirmed rumors that Apple is planning to transition its chipmaking responsibilities to TSMC.

Apple is also believed to be playing a key anti-Samsung role for Taiwanese companies over display panels. Last year, device manufacturer Foxconn attempted to buy a 10 percent stake in panel maker Sharp Corp., a move that the AP noted was believed to have been spurred by Apple as the company expressed "eagerness to find an alternative supplier to Samsung."

Wednesday's report also casually mentioned that Apple is looking for alternatives to Samsung to build "future iTVs," a reference to a rumored, unannounced television set from the company. No further details on a supposed Apple television were provided.
post #2 of 105

Samsung wants to kill Taiwan, but they'd have to get in bed with China to do that, and Korea and China aren't really the best of friends… 

Does Samsung hate Apple that much? 😜

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #3 of 105
Are there any people registered here on AI to defend this "Kill Taiwan" campaign? Coming from AP and not DigiTimes this looks like 'the truth'...
post #4 of 105
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Are there any people registered here on AI to defend this "Kill Taiwan" campaign?

Just watch the responses; we'll see.

post #5 of 105
In the AP story, the most ominous bit is the accusation that Samsung is seeding web discussion sites with "counsumer complaints" about Taiwan products.

Does this seem like a familiar idea to you here at AI?

Samsung denies they are doing this, accordng to the story. Of course they're not, no ethical company would do such a thing.

P.S., I see Phil Boogie is on to this same idea.
post #6 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

In the AP story, the most ominous bit is the accusation that Samsung is seeding web discussion sites with "counsumer complaints" about Taiwan products.

Does this seem like a familiar idea to you here at AI?

Samsung denies they are doing this, accordng to the story. Of course they're not, no ethical company would do such a thing.

P.S., I see Phil Boogie is on to this same idea.

Samsung already admitted guilt yesterday to anonymous posting of negative reviews of the HTC. they paid college students to post slanderous comments online. They have agreed to pay a fine and their is a criminal investigation started.

This is little different than Samsung's/Chinese media coordinated smear campaign of Apple last month.
post #7 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Are there any people registered here on AI to defend this "Kill Taiwan" campaign?

Just watch the responses; we'll see.

Well, first one is in...
post #8 of 105
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
New 52 week low for Apple.  Apple no longer the most valuable technology company in the world (IBM is based on enterprise value and Google will soon be more valuable also); $300 billion in value lost and counting.  Samsung near its all time high and growing earnings while Apple shrinks.

Apple better do something to take on Samsung.  Jobs wanted to enter thermonuclear war with them.....Cook is sitting around doing nothing to go on the offensive and take the narrative back.  Current perception is Apple is playing catch up to Samsung which is an amazing thing to think given Cook has tens of billions in cash and all the resources in the world and can't come out with anything that creates any excitement or stems the bleeding for the worst drop in value in world history while the broader markets aren't also imploding.

See, told you. lol.gif

Wait, do you actually believe this?!

post #9 of 105
@jdnc 123, I see you're still doing your job. I nominate you as the number one spokeman for Samsung around here.

Or, if you are for real and you really do believe what you are saying, you are simply taking the part of the most misguided fool who ever invested in Apple. All you have to do is shut up and wait until next week, next month, next quarter, and next year to see what Cook has been doing with "his" tensofbillionsofcash(!!!).

I don't believe you are for real, though, because if anyone who believed what you say you do they would be ashamed to show themselves to be so miguided.
post #10 of 105
Quote:

See, told you. lol.gif

Where is he lying?

First paragraph: That's correct if you look only at the stock market, but "correct".

Second paragraph: Correct. People have the "PERCEPTION" (it isn't something factual, but people think that way) that the innovator is samsung, and Apple is doing nothing against it. (more cores, bigger screen, more megahertz, more gimmicks, bla bla).

Apple can do something against this, they "should" do something, not only for their sake, but more for the sake of the rest of the industry. There's no other company with a whole country in their pocket. There's no other company that is as ruthless and criminal and ready to do EVERYTHING for money as samsung. You could argue about Google and the US, but they only control the media.

post #11 of 105
riginally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

I get it, the don't care, they just want to focus on products.  Well, they can't seem to get products out any longer and sales are slowing dramatically.  

All this focus on investments (where Apple doesn't care) leaves you to apparently know absolutely nothing about products (where, obviously, you don't care).

This company has lost $300 billion in value and you see no problem with it.  I do.

Good for you. Sell your stock, sound the alarms, and keep your fellow investors away. But don't claim you know anything about what the company is doing or actually cares about. Save us all the foolishness.

post #12 of 105
Quote:

What do you believe.  Its just mean speculators and hedge funds being mean and they aren't smart enough like you to grasp how infallible Apple is?

I love the products.  I hate how this current management team has destroyed any reason to invest in this company.  It is sad and pathetic how they are running the company from an investment perspective.  I get it, the don't care, they just want to focus on products.  Well, they can't seem to get products out any longer and sales are slowing dramatically.  

This company has lost $300 billion in value and you see no problem with it.  I do. Nothing like this has ever happened before in the history of financial markets and I challenge you to tell me one time it has.  Tim Cook will go down in history as one of the worst CEOs the world has ever seen.  mark it down.

1-Well, you are being a moron now, a stupid moron. Back that up or go to your hole.

2-300 million of a fictional value made by irrelevant people. 300 million of nothing is nothing. Physically, Apple was never better than now.

post #13 of 105
In the mean time, AAPL is falling like a rock! 400$ level fast approaching!!!
post #14 of 105
Quote:

How about instead of attacking me, you tell me why Apple is a good investment these days.  What are they going to do to grow earnings?  I don't think they can due to strategic missteps.

Here we go again. Your job is to waste our time and distract. But just in case, I have one word for you. Are you listening?

IGZO.

Let's hear you say something about the future, if you're so for real.
post #15 of 105
Quote:

See, told you. lol.gif

I guess as moderator you have to read everyone's drivel, but I had this guy blocked from his first (troll) post and I suggest everyone do the same.  

He's pretty obviously just some very young, aggressive, right wing dude who thinks he "knows about the market."  He seems to have nothing original to say and spouts mostly capitalist dogma and other "sayings."  

post #16 of 105

Seems to me the Taiwanese companies can step up the components war by improving quality.

I don't think many can argue that Samsung doesn't make quality components and I'm sure Apple would be happy to diversify suppliers as long as the quality is there.

One question I had is where Samsung actually manufacturers their components and assembles their products? I'm sure the manufacture is spread around (I know about the plant in TX obviously since Apple has talked that up), but is the assembly done in China or elsewhere?

post #17 of 105
Quote:

Apple is now valued basically the same as what it was in late 2010.  2.5 yrs.  No value creation as an operator in a secular growth market.  Really amazing.

This isn't about earnings this quarter or next.  Its about perception and the perception is Apple is leaderless with no direction and no answers to Samsungs attacks.  Tim has neither said nor shown he has an answer, so the market expects the worst.

And how does that influence Apple (the company)? What does it change?

How does it change the fact that every single device made by Apple is the best and best seller on their respective categories and they are making 15 billion each quarter while others are losing money or making 0 profit?

How does it change the fact that besides all that, the number of sales is always growing yoy?

How does it change the fact that Apple is already investing so much on their future (data centers, more investments on companies, supply chain contracts, etc?)

How does it change the fact that Apple earns now 3 or 4 times more money per quarter than they did jan 2010?

post #18 of 105
@ Nelson X:

Quiet in the peanut gallery.
post #19 of 105
Quote:

Back it up?  The CEO told us all last quarter.  Do you have inside information that something other than what he said is happening?

What? Where? I saw iphone sales growing, ipad sales growing, mac laptop sales growing (the imac wasn't there, etc), the ipod sales holding their own, ecosystem sales skyrocking.

Best quarter ever despite one less week.

What...the....hell...are...you...talking....about?

post #20 of 105
Gazoobee is right, jdnc123 should just be totally ignored, since he hasn't got it by now. He either is incapable of having a good thought, or he's not for real, i.e., a shill. I think it's the latter.
post #21 of 105
Quote:

@ Nelson X:

Quiet in the peanut gallery.

He, he, I might buy bellow 400$!
post #22 of 105
Quote:

>>And how does that influence Apple (the company)? What does it change?>>

Bright engineers leave on their own or get recruited away to a place where their stock comp. is an appreciating asset.  You can't honestly believe employees don't care that their net worth is dropping like a rock?

>>How does it change the fact that every single device made by Apple is the best and best seller on their respective categories and they are making 15 billion each quarter while others are losing money or making 0 profit?>>

Samsung will make about as much as Apple this year.  I'll debate if you want to stay realistic.

>>How does it change the fact that besides all that, the number of sales is always growing yoy?>>

Sales growing, net income shrinking due to margin compression.  The goal as a company is to make earnings.  

>>How does it change the fact that Apple is already investing so much on their future (data centers, more investments on companies, supply chain contracts, etc?)>>

And they could have invested even more, which I think most wish they had to buy or build more growth and less reliance on a single product.

>>How does it change the fact that Apple earns now 3 or 4 times more money per quarter than they did jan 2010?>>

Well, I referenced late 2010 and they won't even make 50% more this quarter than they did in the 4th qtr of 2010 (granted not fair comparison as that is a holiday qtr)

So tell me.  Why are so many Apple investors rushing for the door.  Why has the company lost 4-6x in value what it ever did under Jobs?  Why does every single reported supply chain data point show massively slowing sales?

1- Apple had 4 out of the first 5 best paid executives/engineers. So you are lying or have no idea.

2- you have no idea, but even if it does, so What? Besides that, ALL other OEMs are going downhill very fast.

3- net income grew yoy, especially if you have a functional brain cell and remembered about the less weak (8% yoy growth to the number 1 company in net income. that's huge!!). Even if it goes down, isn't 11 billion and still being number 1 or 2 enough?relience on a single product? they make more on macs than all oems combined on pc. they make more on ecosystem than microsoft. they make more on tablets than all other poems x10, they make more on phones 4x samsung, while all others lose. what are you talking about?

4- not fair comparison. Why are they rushing? they are ignorant stupid and foolish algorithms that understand 0 about Apple's business strategy that for them is a failure but was good enough to become the most valuable company of the world.

Again, you talked about sales shrinking and other BS and are slowly changing that...

You are a moron. Proved.

post #23 of 105
Quote:

The CEO guided earnings down versus the same quarter last year.  Sales alone mean little, the market cares about earnings.  He told us earnings were going to shrink.

"shrink"? what a moron...

besides that, even if it becomes true, making more net profit than all others isn't enough? go away, troll.

post #24 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Again, you talked about sales shrinking and other BS and are slowly changing that...

You are a moron. Proved.

I'm curious...

Why do you think AAPL has lost so much value over the last year?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #25 of 105
Hedgies are again using general "negative sentiment" to lure some more stock out if private investors 1smile.gif

I agree that Apple's product pipeline is not as its best today. I also believe Cook and especially Oppenheimer should be sacked fir reasons i will not disclose, but this stock value game is just a game of degenerated capitalism and nothing more...
post #26 of 105
Quote:

How about instead of attacking me, you tell me why Apple is a good investment these days.  What are they going to do to grow earnings?  I don't think they can due to strategic missteps.

Because analysts have never gotten Apple right? Ever.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/12/16/on-being-reasonable/

If you put in the 2012 actuals, Apple reached the "analysts" 2014 goals 2 years early. What is funny is these so called analysts, will say Apple keeps missing quarters but they keep smashing the years out of the park.  So, how can you miss earning estimates quarter after quarter but blow the yearly estimates out of the park year after year after year?

post #27 of 105
Quote:

New 52 week low for Apple.  Apple no longer the most valuable technology company in the world (IBM is based on enterprise value and Google will soon be more valuable also); $300 billion in value lost and counting.  Samsung near its all time high and growing earnings while Apple shrinks.

Apple better do something to take on Samsung.  Jobs wanted to enter thermonuclear war with them.....Cook is sitting around doing nothing to go on the offensive and take the narrative back.  Current perception is Apple is playing catch up to Samsung which is an amazing thing to think given Cook has tens of billions in cash and all the resources in the world and can't come out with anything that creates any excitement or stems the bleeding for the worst drop in value in world history while the broader markets aren't also imploding.

You're beginning to sound like a broken record. For your information, SJ never cared about stock price.

post #28 of 105
I've long felt that there might be astroturfing of forums by certain Android vendors with attacks on Apple. I don't have any evidence for this, just a gut feel.

This is based on the vehemence and passion with which the posters on these forums, eg: Wired and MSM tech news sites attack Apple. While I do regularly meet crazy Apple lovers in the street, I don't think I meet many or any users of said phones who are that passionate about what is basically, generally, just a phone or texting device to them.

Where are these passionate lovers of Android, outside the forums? I suspect in a windowless room somewhere, funded by an astroturfing/marketing budget.

What is more, I don't see HTC or Nexus users featuring much among these posters, it often seems to be the users of the products of a specific Korean company.
post #29 of 105
there are def people on here doing PR for samsung and possible even google.

Apple is in trouble really i thought they were highly profitable increasing market share without lowering profits...every Qtr there making 10 billion plus and they have more monies in the bank then company ever....

the only crisis is engineered by samsung paid bloggers....you would think apple was losing billions and lay off staff..

In regards to Tim Cook being the worst ever Ceo...great that means he's doing well.

In regards to Apple taking care of Samsung ...doing nothing...really i thought they were sueing them worldwide for thieving...and there removing all there supply chain which long term is insanely bad news for samsung..lets see samsung producing there own products without stealing..and let watch apple's new supply chain start bidding for samsung present clients..

Apple stock price has been going up and down...but thats for the gamblers...lets look at the company and its performance and its future products and not what some wall st guy is doing to make a profit...clearly the way its stock has been compared its profits it makes no sense...profits have been great and steady..
post #30 of 105
Originally Posted by realpaulfreeman View Post
I've long felt that there might be astroturfing of forums by certain Android vendors with attacks on Apple. I don't have any evidence for this, just a gut feel.

The only people without that gut feeling are the ones doing it. lol.gif

post #31 of 105
Quote:

SJ is dead.  How about we all move on and talk about Tim Cook who is running the company now.  Should Tim Cook not care about the stock price and do everything SJ did.  That must be a fun existence in life to not be your own man (by the way Steve told him to do exactly that and not care what he would have done).

He is dead but I hope his legacy is still alive at Apple. And that, I hope, is to never cares about stock price. So there you go. lol.

post #32 of 105

paid blogger more like for samsung.

post #33 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

He, he, I might buy bellow 400$!

If it drops below 400 look out below. It makes no sense but people tend to see round numbers as some sort of tipping point or milestone depending on which way the market is going. I'm thinking of jumping back in too. Not sure of the strike price though.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #34 of 105
Quote:

Why do you keep telling this lie about apple not being the most valuable tech company? Apple's cap is currently 381 Billion. The only company in the world tech or otherwise that is more valuable is Exxon at 382 Billion. IBM is only at 233.9 Billion not even close! Please stop spreading false information just because you don't care for Apple.
post #35 of 105

My oh my, what ever will happen when Apple removes the innovate button from Facsimile Sams' copy machine?

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #36 of 105
Quote:

Listen, I'm not going to respond to the name calling from you or others.

1. They WERE the highest paid.  The value of those packages has dropped along with the stock.

2.  I should have said it is expected that Samsung will make as much.  Further, Samsung is expected to sell 2x as many phones as Apple this year versus selling the same number not long ago.  Sure, they sell lower margin/cost/profit phones but they are indeed making it up on volume.

3.  You don't understand the importance of the iPhone to this company if you are talking about macs moving the needle.

4.  WAS good enough.  When they had the market to themselves.  When the competition was light years behind.  That is no longer the case, but you and Apple's management seem to think that is the case and that they need not change.  The market is saying Tim Cook is very, very wrong in that regard.  He has a chance to prove them wrong next week,  I'll be here when the stock drops to $350 after he guides the next qtr down - yet again and we can all discuss how the analysts did have it right and they did see this coming even before management team saw it or reacted.

Listen, Apple has never been about making the most money. They make the best products, provide the best customer experience, it doesn't matter whether the stock price is at 700 or 400. It never has, and hopefully never will.

The current stock price reflects market sentiments. A market dominated by trolls such as yourself, and Android fanboys, or people who expect iOS vs Android to be reminiscent of the PC vs Mac battle of the 80s.

Apple's growth is perfectly healthy, and some might argue, stronger than it has ever been. I won't even bother going into specifics.

STOCK PRICES ARE A POOR MEASURE OF A COMPANY'S PERFORMANCE.

Hell, firing Ballmer would make more sense.

post #37 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm curious...

Why do you think AAPL has lost so much value over the last year?

I explained before.

People (algorithms) that can't understand Apple's business model. For them Apple is always one step away to close doors.

The stupid illusion that other OEMs are catching up while everyone (besides samsung, and because they dominate other areas) is losing money, close to losing money or closing doors already. Be it on PCs, tablets, smartphones and ecosystem.

Also Apple sales are growing, even if market share is shrinking (the market exploded and those that decided to make lower quality devices sold more), but when rational people think about it, they see that Android users are changing to iOS (7 go to iOS from Android, 1 goes to android from iOS) and the market will saturate quickly, not to mention what i said in the first paragraph.

Basically, if you are a good analyst (or stock "gambler") you are very very rich. Otherwise "you" have no relevance to give advices or something like that, like these analysts and keyboard warriors do.

Apple lost nothing. Smart Shareholders lost nothing.

Like a man that knew about this subject once said, you only lose when you sell.

post #38 of 105
Quote:

>>Because analysts have never gotten Apple right? Ever.>>

Oh come on Gundlach called this move when the stock was at $500-700.  Did he get it right?

You can always find a minority that will get it right because they say what the others don't. Remember, you are talking about perception not the rare outlier.

So what is it? Are you talking about common perception of the masses or the rare single individual?

post #39 of 105
Quote:

Gazoobee is right, jdnc123 should just be totally ignored, since he hasn't got it by now. He either is incapable of having a good thought, or he's not for real, i.e., a shill. I think it's the latter.

There is no such thing as a paid forum shill working for Samsung against their enemies.
Oh wait, I mean there is:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/04/samsung-taiwan-marketers-allegedly-created-astroturf-smear-campaign-against-htc/

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 105

thats great then apple can buy all the stock back and you toads can move onto something else to invest in..long live SJ...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Taiwan's tech companies banding together with Apple to take on Samsung