or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Revenue from Apple's iOS App Store more than twice that of Google Play
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Revenue from Apple's iOS App Store more than twice that of Google Play

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Google's Play Store may be approaching Apple's App Store in terms of app volume, but the App Store remains by far the highest generator of revenue, pulling in more than twice the revenue of the Play store according to a new analysis.

apps


App Annie's Market Report Q1 2013 took a look at the state of the two major app repositories, finding that the App Store generated 2.6x the app revenue of Google Play over the past quarter. App Store revenues, already known to be sizable, grew by roughly one-quarter over the past three months.

Though considerably outstripped by the App Store, Google Play revenues jumped massively last quarter. From Q4 2012 to Q1 2013, Play Store revenue grew by about 90 percent. Even given that growth, Apple saw more growth in absolute revenue.

The Play Store is quickly closing the gap with the iOS App Store in terms of total app downloads. In the past quarter, Play app downloads grew to about 90 percent of the App Store's total downloads.

appgraph


The United States and Japan are the App Store's largest countries by revenue, but China has become increasingly important in terms of app revenue as well. In the Chinese app market, games are the top app category by far, representing roughly 90 percent of China's iOS app revenue, the highest seen across all countries in the App Store.

China has also been gaining momentum in terms of iOS app downloads, and the country was the leading contributor to iOS app download growth in the last quarter. The United States, China, Japan, and the United Kingdom together account for about half of all iOS downloads. For Google Play, the U.S., South Korea, India, and Russia make up about 40 percent of downloads.
post #2 of 19

Be curious to see the breakdown numbers of what kinds of apps are downloaded from each store - paid, free, freemium, etc.

post #3 of 19

lol, Apple is doomed.

post #4 of 19
To me the most interesting part of App Annie's report was the Revenue by Country. China has shot up from <10 to the top 5. That means developers are making more money from localizing into Simplified Chinese than even Portuguese. Quite a change.
post #5 of 19
That is pretty darn impressive.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #6 of 19
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Guess AI missed the story about AAPL dropping below $400 today. The lowest it has traded since December 2011.

 

No, but your continued insistence that it matters is funny.

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Guess AI missed the story about AAPL dropping below $400 today. The lowest it has traded since December 2011.

New headline "People are buying apps in troves while others sell the stock similarly" I guess beating the snot out of the competition is a sign to sell.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #8 of 19
Just past by the Microsoft Kiosk and there was not a single customer there but the Apple store is packed. Amidst all this good news no wonder Apple stock is falling so fast. 1tongue.gif
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

When I posted my comment there was no story on here. I now see they have added that news. Breaking $400 was the Maginot line for many analysts so yeah it is pretty big news. As an Apple stockholder I am not happy about this news at all. For people that do not own any Apple shares I suppose it is easy to be glib or dismissive. 

There's nothing lost or nothing gained until you sell. Weather the storm and I have no doubt you'll be rewarded.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #10 of 19

Saddest thing is that these iOS developers are taking their money from Apple and then developing the same product for Android. Google gets them for nothing.

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Saddest thing is that these iOS developers are taking their money from Apple and then developing the same product for Android. Google gets them for nothing.

You mean from Apple users.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #12 of 19
Must be all the "porn" on the Chinese App Store. Lol
post #13 of 19

That seems pretty impressive considering Google was late to the game in terms of offering a comprehensive product that competes with Apple's App Store.  Not too long ago, Google's app store was a mess. 
 

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Saddest thing is that these iOS developers are taking their money from Apple and then developing the same product for Android. Google gets them for nothing.

Problem with your thought there is that you forgot to mention that apple gets 30% of that money from everything that is sold through the iTunes store.

post #15 of 19

Google is a dogsh*t business model! :)

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Problem with your thought there is that you forgot to mention that apple gets 30% of that money from everything that is sold through the iTunes store.

 

That is not in accordance with the distortion field generally accepted here.  Developers develop apps on their own initiative, risk, and expense.  They set their price.  Apple posts them on the App store and takes a whopping 30% of the gross.  The RDF demands that you say Apple is awesome because they paid developers 70% of what their product sells for. 

 

And those ungrateful developers then have the gall to try to sell their products on other platforms as well!  The nerve.

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Saddest thing is that these iOS developers are taking their money from Apple and then developing the same product for Android. Google gets them for nothing.

 

Taking their money from Apple?  Apple doesn't pay the developers for apps out of their own pocket.

 

The people buying the apps pay for them.

 

On the other hand, Microsoft has been known to pay for apps to be done for their store.


Edited by KDarling - 4/17/13 at 8:44pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Saddest thing is that these iOS developers are taking their money from Apple and then developing the same product for Android. Google gets them for nothing.
Not all, since Android is incapable of running many iOS Apps. That or the hardware Android runs on isn't capable.
post #19 of 19
yes I agree but lets see what happening
for Google play now it is increasing http://wdtechnews.blogspot.com/2013/05/revenue-growth-selling-applications-on.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Revenue from Apple's iOS App Store more than twice that of Google Play