or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results

Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results - Page 5

post #161 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Cook is certainly not "flip(ing) the bird at shareholders". Heck, I still don't think Apple should've offered a dividend. If people don't want to invest in Apple, too bad for them. Giving into Wall Street demands takes the emphasis off of creating the world's most desirable tech and onto the desires of bean counters and short-term, spineless short-term "investors" and weasel "analysts".

Talk about incoherent rambling.  How paying a dividend takes the focus off anything is a difficult thought process to follow.  That last sentence is just a mess, but good luck.

post #162 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Said a different way, they went from being proactive to reactive.  Sign of fat, rich and happy management team.    No CEO should flip the bird at shareholders like Tim Cook has, mocking efforts some have made to increase value as 'silly.'  He is getting all the b*tch slapping he deserves and will continue to get hammered until he leaves tail between his legs and shamed.

Oh, please shut the **** up. Every single one of your posts in every thread in this forum is a variation of the above. How much of a failure Cook is. You're a broken, boring record.  Find a new trolling meme, or better yet, find a new hobby. Cook has never flipped the bird at shareholders. Steve Jobs did, and did that harm the company? No. Today could not have provided more clear evidence that the stock drops consist of insane investor/analyst reactions making sensational assumptions to completely bullshit stories as this Cirrus one. Yet, you still pretend that it's directly because of how much Tim Cook is hated. Stop projecting your hatred unto everyone else. 

post #163 of 304
I would never buy a stock that doesn't seem to go up or down based on any actual real-world events.
post #164 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Here's another gem. Does anyone believe this guy that he has his fortune tied to Apple's stock value? That he just loves his Apple products?

He is drooling over his vision of Apple's destruction. Fake fake fake.

The adopted term is concern troll. His comments certainly fit the build.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #165 of 304
This entire sham is at the hands of targeted hedge fund managers wanting to control greater and greater portions of large stocks to then insert influence over them and can do so thanks to congressional rules protecting them from liability.
post #166 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The adopted term is concern troll. His comments certainly fit the build.

True, but I also like Slurpy's stronger characterization above.
post #167 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, please shut the **** up. Every single one of your posts in every thread in this forum is a variation of the above. How much of a failure Cook is. You're a broken, boring record.  Find a new trolling meme. 
Amazing how all these people who think Cook is a failure can never tell us who should be leading Apple instead or why the genius Steve Jobs chose Cook to succeed him in the first place.
post #168 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

When he took over at Apple in 2005, the stock was in the mid-$20s. Now it's selling at over $60. The stock swooned a bit during the recession (to ~$16), but since then, it has been on a fairly steady upwards trajectory.

People seem to view him as a very effective CEO. He has managed the Pixar integration very well, and many analysts seem to think that Disney has its mojo back -- something that it had seriously lost during the disastrous Eisner era.

Steve was in charge at Apple starting in early 1998. The iCEO was a moniker in name only. Removing the i in 2005 meant no difference to who was running and when I worked for him I always knew he was the CEO, period.
post #169 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Steve was in charge at Apple starting in early 1998. The iCEO was a moniker in name only. Removing the i in 2005 meant no difference to who was running and when I worked for him I always knew he was the CEO, period.
2005? I though Steve removed the iCEO name long before then.
post #170 of 304
Originally Posted by igriv View Post
He is wasting his time on this forum, so he must care.

Well, care enough to keep being paid, at least.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #171 of 304
Quote:

True, but I also like Slurpy's stronger characterization above.

He certainly captures in words what most of us are thinking.

post #172 of 304
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

By whom? What kind of paranoiac are you?

It takes a paranoiac to know one, I am guessing.
post #173 of 304
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Just curious: do you guys think it will rebound tomorrow or continue to slide?

There will be a big move....

...or not.
post #174 of 304
Quote:

Here's another gem. Does anyone believe this guy that he has his fortune tied to Apple's stock value? That he just loves his Apple products?

He is drooling over his vision of Apple's destruction. Fake fake fake.

Block, block, block.

Then you won't have to put up with this constant dribble of sh*t.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #175 of 304

Can you imagine a company like GE, Disney, or even, God forbid, Microsoft being run this way?   Complete dis-engagement or understanding on how to create  shareholder value, lack of communicating a clear vision and defensible positions, and, drum-roll, a new-found skill covering the in-ability to execute  

I was moved by Tim's comments that "I look around the table, and everyone is at their A-game".  Really? 

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #176 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not looking to capture the absolute bottom. I need confirmation of an uptrend and there is definitely no signs of that yet. The only trend on AAPL's chart is down. I'm not a chart statistician, and I don't even play one on the internet, but there are various signs to look for. 

There is no such thing as "confirmation of an uptrend", regardless of what the internet chartists tell you.  Just when you think you have confirmation, the trend you think is confirmed can be broken, and will do so 50% of the time, in general.  News or rumors appear, and the trend is broken.  Such things are NOT predicted by the charts.  Sure, one can go back and find a way to retroactively extend a really old portion of the chart in a manner that seems to predict a later portion of the chart.  But what you need to understand is that the wiggles and fractal-like nature of the trace always allow you to find SOMETHING that seems to be causal when it is not.  Extending trends, etc, to the FUTURE and banking on these is a fool's game.

The bottom line is that if charts really were reliably predictive, you would find a lot more people who got wealthy by using them.  But the world's top 100 investors are known for other approaches (i.e. actual investment, not chart trading).   Meanwhile, I have seen plenty of internet chartists making predictions based on this pattern, that pattern, or this trendline, or that Fibonacci line, etc, etc, etc... but they ultimately prove wrong as often as right, and they pay dearly for it.

You are much better off with a Buffett-like long term horizon.  Buy when others are fearful.  And do so for a fundamental reason (not just because others are fearful... their reasons may be sound).  Sell for a fundamental reason too, not JUST because you have lost some money and are afraid.  Buffett himself stays out of investing in consumer electronics companies, because he confesses that he doesn't understand the dynamics there.  Smart man.  Invest in what you understand.  General rule:  sell a stock when there is something better you could be doing with the money.  Transferring it somewhere else only because you feel stung is a BAD thing.  You end up selling low and buying high... the opposite of what should be.  Of course if one bought the stock for flighty reasons to begin with, well, they're already in a bad place.  I guess they might as well sell if it make themselves feel safer.  Their mistake was buying without conviction and a good reason for it.

My current sentiment:  based on Apple's fundamental valuation today and their excellent opportunity for growth in emerging markets (iPhone on China Mobile, or cheaper iPhone, etc) and their imminent disruption of more marketplaces, I would say now is an unbelievable opportunity to buy and reap the rewards a few years from now.  And don't get shaken is some knee-jerk short-term chartists send it down in the meantime.

Tangent:  anybody that believes innovation is dead at Apple just because Steve is gone and because Apple hasn't brought a new groundbreaker out for a few years (e.g. Rocco Pendola) needs to have their head examined for logic.  It has always been Apple's way (even under Steve) to take the time to get their new hardware endeavors fully baked, so that they can "wow" the customer.  And the size of the "wow" is generally in proportion to the time it takes to bring it out.

BAsed on Jobs' remarks before his death, Cook's remarks after, and Jony Ive's answer in an interview last year that he was currently working on the most important thing he's ever done, I'd say that it is only a matter of time before Apple drops a huge bomb on some market.  (Most likely TV/entertainment.)  Certainly people don't think that Jony is going to call an upgrade to an existing product the "most impoprtant thing he's ever done.

Get ready for the bomb.  Buy in before it happens.  Hold unless something other than nervous-nellies takes down the stock.

Remember, if they are going into a completely new field, Apple does not necessarily have to hold announcement until it is ready and the rumors have already surfaced.

post #177 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Taiwan calling?

post #178 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Can you imagine a company like GE, Disney, or even, God forbid, Microsoft being run this way?   Complete dis-engagement or understanding on how to create  shareholder value, lack of communicating a clear vision and defensible positions, and, drum-roll, a new-found skill covering the in-ability to execute  

I was moved by Tim's comments that "I look around the table, and everyone is at their A-game".  Really? 

Apple is making shitloads of money every qtr. 70% of the mobile profits.
post #179 of 304
Quote:

And this is helping you as an Apple shareholder how?

Making money is a bad thing? Apparently WS thinks so.
post #180 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

My current sentiment:  based on Apple's fundamental valuation today and their excellent opportunity for growth in emerging markets (iPhone on China Mobile, or cheaper iPhone, etc) and their imminent disruption of more marketplaces, I would say now is an unbelievable opportunity to buy and reap the rewards a few years from now.  And don't get shaken is some knee-jerk short-term chartists send it down in the meantime.

I don't disagree with your sentiment. I also think that Apple is very strong and in a good position to catapult higher in the future.

post #181 of 304

Breaking news! Tim Cook has been fired and replaced by Ron Popeil. AAPL rises by 50% in after hours trading. /s

post #182 of 304

Predicted Tim comments for the earnings call next week, 

"We are in very very very active discussions on the use of cash.  As opposed to just very very.  We are VERY serious about this (emphasis mine).  It is an honor to have so much cash sitting in a bank earning 1.0% return for a year while competitors catch-up.  In this new world, it takes us 9 months to make any large scale, meaningful decisions.  My A-Team including my CFO-Head-In-The-Sand-Peter is all over what to do next"

AND

"The product pipeline is chock-full.  So chock-full, it's backed up and we can't get anything out of it.   It's like we are constipated.  I'll get back to you in September" 

AND

"TV is a very very very interesting area for us.  We continue to pull the string to see where it takes us.  No, we are now TUGGING that string.  TUGGING now!.  It's all very interesting to us.  It's just an outstanding hobby.  The current offering is like going back to 1875"  

AND 

"I look around the table and I'm more convinced then ever that everyone is at their A-Game.  Never mind the fact we incinerated $250 billion in shareholder value over the last four months.  Never mind that.  A-Game.  All the way" 

post #183 of 304

230+ comments on this news? Don't have time to read everything so I might be repeating what someone else said....

Since when do supplier component orders directly follow a manufacturers device shipments? Companies often order more in 1 quarter to be used in devices made in the following quarter, so reduced revenue from a supplier means nothing. Cirrus boost in a previous quarter can simply be attributed to Apple placing a larger order last quarter.

The things these stupid analysts will do to try and come up with reasons for Apple to "fail".

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #184 of 304
Quote:

Maybe Tim Cook should do a Ballmer like monkey dance, would that make you happy?

Developers, developers, developers, flocking to the biggest App store the world has ever seen.

Maybe he could wear a sumo suit.

How about roll around on the biggest pile of cash the world has ever seen.

Pull Apple's Billions out of the markets they are invested in and create a run on the banks holding it, that might be fun.

post #185 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Just curious: do you guys think it will rebound tomorrow or continue to slide?

Maybe a bounce but I don't really think AAPL is going to stay above $400.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #186 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Maybe Tim Cook should do a Ballmer like monkey dance, would that make you happy?

Developers, developers, developers, flocking to the biggest App store the world has ever seen.

Maybe he could wear a sumo suit.

How about roll around on the biggest pile of cash the world has ever seen.

Pull Apple's Billions out of the markets they are invested in and create a run on the banks holding it, that might be fun.

Your right - should not have put Microsoft in as one of the examples.  Ballmer is an absolute joke.  But the point I'm trying to make still stands - stable, sustainable, large cap companies 

On your comment 'Pull Apple Billions",  that is not what I am saying.   The company should keep and invest in EVERYTHING they need to WIN.  But it should not aimlessly be sitting on piles of cash with no plan or vision  

post #187 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

230+ comments on this news? Don't have time to read everything so I might be repeating what someone else said....

Since when do supplier component orders directly follow a manufacturers device shipments? Companies often order more in 1 quarter to be used in devices made in the following quarter, so reduced revenue from a supplier means nothing. Cirrus boost in a previous quarter can simply be attributed to Apple placing a larger order last quarter.

The things these stupid analysts will do to try and come up with reasons for Apple to "fail".

Beiieve it or not, no one has focused on the initial supply chain fallacy quite that way. We've been doing shovel work in the barnyard all day. The usual suspects: igriv, jdnc123, Red Oak, island hermit, a mountain of stink.

Basic idea is that Tim Cook isn't doing his job. These guys, if they're for real, never heard of ideas like "wait and see" or "time will tell." They can't even wait till next week to paint themselves as fools or correct handwringers. There's no real honor in being Chicken Little if the sky actually falls, you're still a chicken.

I wish we still had more real thinking men in this community. Notice these guys use words like "fear" and "scary" a lot. Their amygdalas are hypertrophied. If they're for real.
post #188 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

There is no such thing as "confirmation of an uptrend", regardless of what the internet chartists tell you.  Just when you think you have confirmation, the trend you think is confirmed can be broken, and will do so 50% of the time, in general.  News or rumors appear, and the trend is broken.  Such things are NOT predicted by the charts.  Sure, one can go back and find a way to retroactively extend a really old portion of the chart in a manner that seems to predict a later portion of the chart.  But what you need to understand is that the wiggles and fractal-like nature of the trace always allow you to find SOMETHING that seems to be causal when it is not.  Extending trends, etc, to the FUTURE and banking on these is a fool's game.

The bottom line is that if charts really were reliably predictive, you would find a lot more people who got wealthy by using them.  But the world's top 100 investors are known for other approaches (i.e. actual investment, not chart trading).   Meanwhile, I have seen plenty of internet chartists making predictions based on this pattern, that pattern, or this trendline, or that Fibonacci line, etc, etc, etc... but they ultimately prove wrong as often as right, and they pay dearly for it.

You are much better off with a Buffett-like long term horizon.  Buy when others are fearful.  And do so for a fundamental reason (not just because others are fearful... their reasons may be sound).  Sell for a fundamental reason too, not JUST because you have lost some money and are afraid.  Buffett himself stays out of investing in consumer electronics companies, because he confesses that he doesn't understand the dynamics there.  Smart man.  Invest in what you understand.  General rule:  sell a stock when there is something better you could be doing with the money.  Transferring it somewhere else only because you feel stung is a BAD thing.  You end up selling low and buying high... the opposite of what should be.  Of course if one bought the stock for flighty reasons to begin with, well, they're already in a bad place.  I guess they might as well sell if it make themselves feel safer.  Their mistake was buying without conviction and a good reason for it.

Tangent:  anybody that believes innovation is dead at Apple just because Steve is gone and because Apple hasn't brought a new groundbreaker out for a few years (e.g. Rocco Pendola) needs to have their head examined for logic.  It has always been Apple's way (even under Steve) to take the time to get their new hardware endeavors fully baked, so that they can "wow" the customer.  And the size of the "wow" is generally in proportion to the time it takes to bring it out.

BAsed on Jobs' remarks before his death, Cook's remarks after, and Jony Ive's answer in an interview last year that he was currently working on the most important thing he's ever done, I'd say that it is only a matter of time before Apple drops a huge bomb on some market.  (Most likely TV/entertainment.)  Certainly people don't think that Jony is going to call an upgrade to an existing product the "most impoprtant thing he's ever done.

Get ready for the bomb.  Buy in before it happens.  Hold unless something other than nervous-nellies takes down the stock.

Remember, if they are going into a completely new field, Apple does not necessarily have to hold announcement until it is ready and the rumors have already surfaced.

Another voice of reason.
post #189 of 304
By whom? What kind of paranoiac are you?

Yep. That's it. When in doubt, turn the argument on the other guy.

By the companies in the industry opposing whomever it is. Are you stupid enough to think it doesn't happen?

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
Taiwan calling?

You already replied to that post. What, you forgot? Or maybe you wanted to try out a few different "retorts"?

post #190 of 304
Quote:

Beiieve it or not, no one has focused on the initial supply chain fallacy quite that way. We've been doing shovel work in the barnyard all day. The usual suspects: igriv, jdnc123, Red Oak, island hermit, a mountain of stink.

Basic idea is that Tim Cook isn't doing his job. These guys, if they're for real, never heard of ideas like "wait and see" or "time will tell." They can't even wait till next week to paint themselves as fools or correct handwringers. There's no real honor in being Chicken Little if the sky actually falls, you're still a chicken.

I wish we still had more real thinking men in this community. Notice these guys use words like "fear" and "scary" a lot. Their amygdalas are hypertrophied. If they're for real.

If you are going to add me to that list then you don't believe in your own advice of "wait and see" or "time will tell"... either that or you have a comprehension problem.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #191 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I think that iOS7 should have come out last year, with the iPhone 5 and that a lack of any big iOS update is the reason some people may feel the iPhone has lost its lead.  Everyone else has caught up and other phones are really nice and have many of the same features or more.  Apple supporters always said it was the software that made their hardware so great.   

So, Jony Ive, where's the iOS update?

iOS 6 came out with the iPhone 5 duh. It was a huge update and launched with the new phone.  iOS 7 will come out this fall.  Apple has always done yearly major updates to iOS.

post #192 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If you are going to add me to that list then you don't believe in your own advice of "wait and see" or "time will tell"... either that or you have a comprehension problem.

The guy is paranoid.

He or she or whatever they are even accused me of being a paid troll in the past, at least two times that I remember. And they meant it seriously.

post #193 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

iOS 6 came out with the iPhone 5 duh. It was a huge update and launched with the new phone.  iOS 7 will come out this fall.  Apple has always done yearly major updates to iOS.

Whatever happened to the incremental updates? And I don't mean bug fixes.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #194 of 304
Damn, is Cirrus Logic still around? I thought they died when Nvidia and ATI started making combined 2D/3D cards. Ahhh.... those were the days. IRQs and jumpers and video accelerator cards. You kids don't know how easy you have it now a days.

Now get off my lawn! 1smile.gif

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

post #195 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamracer View Post

The moment the stock went under 420 was a good time to sell. (stop loss at 219,70)

If it goes under 400, it could go under 390 ?

Perhaps 390 is a good entry point. Only time will tell ....
But perhaps we better wait until some good news and product presentations form apple to reinvest the cash.

I still own 60% of my initial 100% shares. :-(

Best regards

Short the stock..

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #196 of 304
Quote:

If you have been holding Apple stock for the last two years, you have not done so well. The fact that the company has earnings on the balance sheet is irrelevant, since you cannot get your hands on that money.

And since you haven't sold stock, the losses are unrealized.
post #197 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

People are scared that Apple realizes things too late.

How often has that ever been true?

post #198 of 304
Quote:

Not that I completely agree with you, but Apple is really in the entertainment business, not the tech business. Jobs made the Apple presentations a worldwide phenomena and everyone talked about them. Tim Cook is like the poor guy that follows a hot comedian on stage with a solid, but not very memorable performance. Anything less than magic is a letdown for people. It's a very rough spot to be in.

Reminds me of this: http://youtu.be/QhhFQ-3w5tE?t=36m6s :

Joe: "Well, I didn't know I was going to be following Steve Jobs."

Gil: "Join the crowd."

post #199 of 304
Quote:

Your right - should not have put Microsoft in as one of the examples.  Ballmer is an absolute joke.  But the point I'm trying to make still stands - stable, sustainable, large cap companies 

On your comment 'Pull Apple Billions",  that is not what I am saying.   The company should keep and invest in EVERYTHING they need to WIN.  But it should not aimlessly be sitting on piles of cash with no plan or vision  

Yup, Cook and the execs are swimming in gold coins, light cigars with $100 bills, making the new HQ with bars of platinum, etc. you have no idea what their plans are. Thank Jobs you're not managing Apple. I wouldn't trust you to plan a dinner.

Win what, exactly? MS won the PC wars and how are they doing now.
post #200 of 304
Quote:

If we really knew, do you think we'd be sitting here instead of capitalizing on that information?

sorry but everyone knew that if AAPL stock broke $430 support the stock would drop like a rock..fund managers cannot justify holding a losing stock and they will dump it..today there were massive institutional selling and it is not over..the stock will go lower and lower 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results