or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results - Page 6

post #201 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

They actually are pretty close to making the new HQ out of platinum, check out the story on this very site. "Every piece of glass is curved", as St Steve himself boasted. $5BN (or $3BN if they succeed in their cost-cutting) for a BUILDING. Yowza.

I don't care if it costs $10B.  As long as they think and believe it is the platform they need to build this company into a dominant force for the next 50 years.   Spend away 

 

Investing for the right reason is NOT the issue here.  The lack of overall investment is  

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #202 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

They actually are pretty close to making the new HQ out of platinum, check out the story on this very site. "Every piece of glass is curved", as St Steve himself boasted. $5BN (or $3BN if they succeed in their cost-cutting) for a BUILDING. Yowza.

 

They made $13bn in profits last quarter alone, I don't think it's going to hurt them any.

post #203 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

You are missing the point: wasting this much money indicates (a) that they don't know of anything useful to do with it and (b) that they are in breach of fiduciary responsibility: the money is better spent being paid out to shareholders. Both (a) and (b) are contingent on the presumption that the Apple management has not made a good case that they need the curved glass HQ. I am not aware of such a case being made but maybe you are, and agree with it, in which case my objection is somewhat weakened.

 

If an outstanding HQ and design inspires the employees... If it can efficiently bring divergent teams and functional groups together to do their life's best work... Than I am all for it.   $5B expensed over 20+ years is a piddling in the grand scheme

 

I'd rather Apple spend an extra $2-3B on something out of the park and completely aspirational then to cut corners.  In ten years, no one will look back and wish they did not spend those extra dollars to make the HQ exceptional 

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #204 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

Actually, over the last two years, you made a little money, probably a little less than had you held the broad market. However, your point eludes me.

His point is....money is neither lost or gained unless the equity is sold. A loss/gain on paper is just that; an unrealized loss/gain---and means nothing until the stock is sold.

 

I bought AAPL @ (a split adjusted) $4.60/share and have held it for almost 15 years. This is just another blip in the chart on the way to $800, big deal. 1cool.gif

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #205 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

Damn, is Cirrus Logic still around? I thought they died when Nvidia and ATI started making combined 2D/3D cards. Ahhh.... those were the days. IRQs and jumpers and video accelerator cards. You kids don't know how easy you have it now a days.

Now get off my lawn! 1smile.gif

My hardware expertise peaked with an RS-232 break-out box 1smile.gif
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #206 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

 

Your right - should not have put Microsoft in as one of the examples.  Ballmer is an absolute joke.  But the point I'm trying to make still stands - stable, sustainable, large cap companies 

 

On your comment 'Pull Apple Billions",  that is not what I am saying.   The company should keep and invest in EVERYTHING they need to WIN.  But it should not aimlessly be sitting on piles of cash with no plan or vision  

 

Apple should pull out every penny they have in cash and watch these wall street pundit's banking mates fall, then the Government can waste YOUR taxes on putting them back on their feet again.

 

The American system is flawed in that the rewards are greater for those who create nothing.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #207 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

They actually are pretty close to making the new HQ out of platinum, check out the story on this very site. "Every piece of glass is curved", as St Steve himself boasted. $5BN (or $3BN if they succeed in their cost-cutting) for a BUILDING. Yowza.

 

$5 Billion for 13,000+ campus with R&D complex, on-site, underground 5 story parkade, 8,000 trees added over a 150 continuous acre campus which equates to 45 days of profit. Yes, I sure am going to be upset. You folks are pissed off that Apple has ZERO DEBT. They have nothing you can leverage so you pump and dump the stock, instill fear, pump and dump and force others to join the ride. Then you buy it all back over the next quarter making a tidy profit.
post #208 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Sweet. BMO out today saying S4 will outsell iPhone5 in calendar 13 and they won't even have it available for the full year. Epic, epic implosion. Cook needs to go and the new HQ damn well better be cancelled or altered. He and the board already look like epic failures.

This isn't hyperbole, he may go down as the worst CEO the world has ever seen. There are frauds, there are CEOs who make mistakes, but one who sits on billions of cash with no attempt to grow and just let's the competition take him to the woodshed and become more popular has got to be one of the worst leaders in financial history. Mind boggling arrogance.

I'm guessing tech recruiters seeing a lot of Apple resumes lately.
who is BMO and why should we care what they say? And if its bad news for Apple why is it "sweet"?
post #209 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

$5 Billion for 13,000+ campus with R&D complex, on-site, underground 5 story parkade, 8,000 trees added over a 150 continuous acre campus which equates to 45 days of profit. Yes, I sure am going to be upset. You folks are pissed off that Apple has ZERO DEBT. They have nothing you can leverage so you pump and dump the stock, instill fear, pump and dump and force others to join the ride. Then you buy it all back over the next quarter making a tidy profit.

It's ironic sad that the same people whining that Apple doesn't invest enough money also complain when Apple invests their money.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/17/13 at 8:24pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #210 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Who are you folks? Shareholders who actually own the company and can remove the entire upper mgmt team if they keep sticking their head in the sand?
Just curious what you think Apple would have done in 2012 and what they'd be doing right now if Jobs was still alive and running the show. Or would he have his head in the sand too?
post #211 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just curious what you think Apple would have done in 2012 and what they'd be doing right now if Jobs was still alive and running the show. Or would he have his head in the sand too?

None of that matters to these people. Even when Steve was alive they made sweeping predictions that Apple's reign is over and that they would crumble. This is what they do. Actual data means nothing to them, only what they presume to be coming future… so long as it's negative against Apple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #212 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

There is a difference between "invests" and "spends". As I had said in a previous post, I could be persuaded that this is an investment as opposed to waste, but no one has pointed me to any document which makes that case.

When your argument is that Apple would be better off putting their employees in garages and doublewides it's hard to find a common ground rooted in sanity in which to start a civil discourse.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #213 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

You are joking, right? (about the first paragraph). Have you ever heard of the deep concept of "mark to market"? For those of us who will occasionally need the liquidity, the money is gained the instant the security goes up, and lost the instant it goes down. I think those who were conscious in 2008 would have become enlightened on this point, at least as it pertains to the housing market.

Not joking at all. Sounds to me like that's what happens when people over-extend themselves and/or live hand-to-mouth. If one doesn't have spare money to invest---monies that won't be missed---then one shouldn't be investing in equities.....especially short-term.

 

 

GO LONG, BABY!!!

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #214 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Sweet. BMO out today saying S4 will outsell iPhone5 in calendar 13 and they won't even have it available for the full year. Epic, epic implosion. Cook needs to go and the new HQ damn well better be cancelled or altered. He and the board already look like epic failures.

This isn't hyperbole, he may go down as the worst CEO the world has ever seen. There are frauds, there are CEOs who make mistakes, but one who sits on billions of cash with no attempt to grow and just let's the competition take him to the woodshed and become more popular has got to be one of the worst leaders in financial history. Mind boggling arrogance.

I'm guessing tech recruiters seeing a lot of Apple resumes lately.

 

This isn't hyperbole, but you may go down as the worst forum commenter the world has ever seen. 

 

But really... what makes you think you have any actual knowledge — based on FACTS, mind you — that they are doing nothing to grow/innovate/invest/etc? You do not know, despite whatever you say. Some might call such aggressive speculation mind boggling arrogance. They're playing the long game, and smart people who play the long game always beat short-term thinkers like yourself. Give them time to do their jobs.

 

To the woodshed indeed. They're really crying all the way to bankruptcy court, eh?

post #215 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

BMO is the BMO Harris Bank, or their employee who follows the mobile industry. I cannot speak for why it is sweet other that guessing that this might light a fire under Apple management's behinds, which the poster believes would be a good thing.
BMO Harris Bank? Remind me again why we should care what they predict?
post #216 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

This isn't hyperbole, but you may go down as the worst forum commenter the world has ever seen. 

But really... what makes you think you have any actual knowledge — based on FACTS, mind you — that they are doing nothing to grow/innovate/invest/etc? You do not know, despite whatever you say. Some might call such aggressive speculation mind boggling arrogance. They're playing the long game, and smart people who play the long game always beat short-term thinkers like yourself. Give them time to do their jobs.

To the woodshed indeed. They're really crying all the way to bankruptcy court, eh?

Have to agree with your first sentence there, and the rest of it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

When your argument is that Apple would be better off putting their employees in garages and doublewides it's hard to find a common ground rooted in sanity in which to start a civil discourse.

Civil discourse is impossible when they are doing this relay gangbanging like this. I stay away from other sites because of posters who are less obnoxious than these two. If they aren't banned I'm outta here. It's not worth getting depressed over.
post #217 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Unreal. Just unreal. I don't even know what to say anymore. Just mind-blowing how a blip of a rumor makes Apple sock plummet. Why the **** does this not happen to any other company?

 

Because nobody cares what Microsoft is doing any more.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #218 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

[You don't have to answer, but if you stopped being a jerk, that would be nice.

It takes a jerk to know one, I am guessing.
post #219 of 304
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
Said it before and will say it again, no CEO has ever destroyed this much value in a bull market. Has never happened before. Not once. He will go down in infamy.

 

Could you maybe say it somewhere the people care?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #220 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


Civil discourse is impossible when they are doing this relay gangbanging like this. I stay away from other sites because of posters who are less obnoxious than these two. If they aren't banned I'm outta here. It's not worth getting depressed over.

Agreed. Hell hath no fury like a couple of investment fools and their parted $$$.
Edited by anantksundaram - 4/17/13 at 9:20pm
post #221 of 304
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
So nobody here cares about facts.

 

"Believe whatever you want to believe."

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #222 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could you maybe say it somewhere the people care?

His score so far today:

He's been at it for close to 14 hours, 34 or so posts.

Very generous with his time, in between steering his massive investment business.
post #223 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post


What makes you think they are doing anything based on FACTS?

I can look at the cash on the balance sheet, listen to Tim Cook declare earnings will shrink and make an educated inference that they fell asleep at the wheel. What can you point to to declare they are properly investing to grow a company of this size?

I'm a big boy. Nobody forced me to invest in Apple, but this is a free country and as a partial owner I have every right to speak my mind about what I see. History is just that. The value of Apple has gone down since Cook took over. What has he done to show that will change? Ok, I'm the worst Internet poster ever, fine. At least I didn't destroy 300 billion of value sleeping at the wheel.

What does bankruptcy have to do with anything? Nobody said or implied the company is in financial duress, it is just simply shrinking despite the fact they have all the money in the world to grow internally or externally. I highly doubt einhorn publicly compared Apple to his depression era grandmother without serious conversations with management first. The takeaway is they are scared to spend, scared to try new things as that isn't the Apple DNA. It worked in the past when they had little competition. The world had changed. Tim Cook doesn't seem to recognize.

Mock BMO all you want. I only see the summary on Barron's but story actually seems to imply Samsung will outsell Apple for high end units across all phones. Who would have thought that would even be said a year ago? Tim has failed as a leader. Said it before and will say it again, no CEO has ever destroyed this much value in a bull market. Has never happened before. Not once. He will go down in infamy.

Never mind the fact that Cook "created" all that value before "destroying" it. It went way up before going down. You can't look at it one way and not the other. Or I guess you CAN, but you shouldn't lest you get called out for misrepresenting the facts.

 

Sleeping at the wheel doesn't really sound like Apple to me, and certainly not Cook who played a not so minor part in building Apple into the monster it is today. You realize he's been there a while, right? It's not like they tapped some guy on the shoulder and woke him from his nap to run the thing, and he promptly nodded back off. People saying he's not providing leadership are ... wait for it... not people who he is in charge of leading.

 

Facts are they're building out massive data centers, subsidizing manufacturing partners and suppliers, building a huge awesome HQ, and spending plenty on R&D, of which exactly we purposefully are not made aware of. For all we know, Apple has a thousand subterranean drones pulling optical cable networks across North America in order to jump up and declare victory over Google Fiber and the cable companies before they ever get the chance. In fact, I'm going to insist that's the case, and I'd be about as right as you are. They don't talk about what they're working on for good reason. Hell, look what happened when Schmidt was on the board and saw iOS. I want them to stay quiet, and reveal the next "thing" whenever it's 100% perfect, whiners be damned, and not a minute sooner.

post #224 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Honestly, just block me if you don't want to read my posts.
Only worthwhile thing you've said. Added to my block list along with all the other lawyers, engineers and "experts" touting their credentials as if it justifies the garbage they spew. Adios, fool.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #225 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

They actually are pretty close to making the new HQ out of platinum, check out the story on this very site. "Every piece of glass is curved", as St Steve himself boasted. $5BN (or $3BN if they succeed in their cost-cutting) for a BUILDING. Yowza.

 

Yeah, how dare Apple push the envelope of whats possible for their new HQ that will house one of the most successful companies on the planet for the forseeable future. They can afford it. So what? I think they've earned the right to design a HQ however they damn well please. It will not doubt be an engineering and architectural marvel, and will inspire many. Whats wrong with that? How many other companies on the planet could pull off something like that? I never heard a single word of bitching about this HQ when it was revealed, and when Sj was alive. Suddenly now that Tim Cook is in charge, out comes the shrieking that it's too indulgent and that Apple needs to scrap it or severely cut back on the original plan. Why? Microsoft bought skype for $12B which will does not even guarantee it any increased revenue of real significance. God forbid Apple spend $3-$5B on their new home when they pulled in $13B+ of profits just last quarter. What exactly is Apple allowed to spend money on, if they can't spend it on making the best positive environment in which they will conduct their future work? That sum is utterly insignificant in the big picture, they'll make multiples of it each quarter in profit. 

 

You can always tell who the trolls are, the ones that have a negative reaction to pretty much every single thing Apple does, never happy for them, always hoping for failure, and always mocking positive news and gloating at any perceived negative news. 

post #226 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

Never mind the fact that Cook "created" all that value before "destroying" it. It went way up before going down. You can't look at it one way and not the other. Or I guess you CAN, but you shouldn't lest you get called out for misrepresenting the facts.

 

Sleeping at the wheel doesn't really sound like Apple to me, and certainly not Cook who played a not so minor part in building Apple into the monster it is today. You realize he's been there a while, right? It's not like they tapped some guy on the shoulder and woke him from his nap to run the thing, and he promptly nodded back off. People saying he's not providing leadership are ... wait for it... not people who he is in charge of leading.

 

Facts are they're building out massive data centers, subsidizing manufacturing partners and suppliers, building a huge awesome HQ, and spending plenty on R&D, of which exactly we purposefully are not made aware of. For all we know, Apple has a thousand subterranean drones pulling optical cable networks across North America in order to jump up and declare victory over Google Fiber and the cable companies before they ever get the chance. In fact, I'm going to insist that's the case, and I'd be about as right as you are. They don't talk about what they're working on for good reason. Hell, look what happened when Schmidt was on the board and saw iOS. I want them to stay quiet, and reveal the next "thing" whenever it's 100% perfect, whiners be damned, and not a minute sooner.

 

Posters like jdnc123 don't deserve the rationality of such posts. There's no way in hell he will actually read it with any degree sincerity. He will respond with a sarcastic, mocking retort then go on to another spiel which is based on 100% ignorance.

 

Pretty much single person who has WORKED with Cook has said that he's the hardest working person they've ever met, the guy starts his day at 4am, and lives, breathes, and sleeps Apple. Everytime he speaks, it's clear he understands the sacredness of the company and his position. Jobs put his trust in him for a reason. When Cook states they have very exciting stuff in the pipeline, I believe him. But according to jdnc, Cook is "sleeping at the wheel" and "lazy", I guess because he hasn't laid out Apple's future product roadmap to investors and spilled the company's guts, or maybe to jdnc personally. He needs to turn the company into Google, and show the products in development for all to see so they can keep the "hype" going for people like jdnc. No, Apple's stock price tells us everything we need to know about Tim Cook, Apple's phenomenal performance be damned. 

 

PS- I bought a shitload of stock @ $650, so obviously I'm not thrilled at how it's been going. But unlike people like jdnc, I actually have confidence in the company. I've also been following the causes of the stock dips, which have been based on negative stories and speculation which have very little to do with fact. Just today, investors decidd to shave $20B from the company because of some baseless assumptions about a fucking audio chip numbers that may or may not mean anything, and may not even involve Apple. I'm able to separate this hysteria and not instinctive blame Cook, as I understand he has little control over this kind bullshit. If Apple announces a shit product tomorrow, then yes, I can blame Cook. But not when the stock takes a beating over shitty, unsubstantiated rumors because investors/analysts are short-sighted and insane. 


Edited by Slurpy - 4/17/13 at 10:42pm
post #227 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Posters like jdnc123 don't deserve the rationality of such posts. There's no way in hell he will actually read it with any degree sincerity. He will respond with a sarcastic, mocking retort then go on to another spiel which is based on 100% ignorance.

 

Pretty much single person who has WORKED with Cook has said that he's the hardest working person they've ever met, the guy starts his day at 4am, and lives, breathes, and sleeps Apple. Everytime he speaks, it's clear he understands the sacredness of the company and his position. Jobs put his trust in him for a reason. When Cook states they have very exciting stuff in the pipeline, I believe him. But according to jdnc, Cook is "sleeping at the wheel" and "lazy", I guess because he hasn't laid out Apple's future product roadmap to investors and spilled the company's guts, or maybe to jdnc personally. He needs to turn the company into Google, and show the products in development for all to see so they can keep the "hype" going for people like jdnc. No, Apple's stock price tells us everything we need to know about Tim Cook, Apple's phenomenal performance be damned. 

 

PS- I bought a shitload of stock @ $650, so obviously I'm not thrilled at how it's been going. But unlike people like jdnc, I actually have confidence in the company. I've also been following the causes of the stock dips, which have been based on negative stories and speculation which have very little to do with fact. Just today, investors decidd to shave $20B from the company because of some baseless assumptions about a fucking audio chip numbers that may or may not mean anything, and may not even involve Apple. I'm able to separate this hysteria and not instinctive blame Cook, as I understand he has little control over this kind bullshit. If Apple announces a shit product tomorrow, then yes, I can blame Cook. But not when the stock takes a beating over shitty, unsubstantiated rumors because investors/analysts are short-sighted and insane. 

 

While all written above might be true and I could agree with most of it, there is also a fact that Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs and he should communicate to public in a different way. SJ ignoring WS was another story. He was expected to do so. TC is not. He should understand he needs his own, different approach. Silence is wrong.

 

However, if he and the board are doing that on purpose, then they are manipulating stocks more than WS to grab on most of them for themselves. In this case we would talk criminal case. But in either way, attitude of TC and the board hurts mostly small investors, not hedge funds. And small investors are usually Apple loyal customers and TC knows that, which makes at least some of his deeds intentional.

 

While  @jdnc123 is obviously living on a strange planet, where he sees no invention at Apple and seeing Samsomething actually inventing I have also read here some myths about how Apple doesn't case about stock. THis is really the biggest myth of them all here! :)

Of course they do. They are payed with it. Top brass is always selling at period top values, especially when they leave the company. SJ did do exactly the same. So, let's not lie to each other about some stupid ideals connected to the Apple's management . They have most info about what is going on in the company so they can manipulate with it as well. Personally, I couldn't care less if they squeeze out some more cash out of hedge funds, but they are doing it with the small investors. That's simply bad. 

post #228 of 304
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #229 of 304
Those mother fuxker is like the blind people touch an elephant below , each one of them says differently , but all of them are just blindly wrong and insist elephant is like what they think.
Edited by crazy_mac_lover - 4/18/13 at 2:18am
post #230 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Those mother fuxker is like the blind people touch an elephant below , each one of them says differently , but all of them are just blindly wrong and insist elephant is like what they think.

lol.gif

 

Like it!

post #231 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Yawn. So nobody here cares about facts. They just want to hear stories about unicorns and gold pots at the end of rainbows?

… or maybe they find you a tiny bit dull?
post #232 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Read my post on volatility trading around earnings on this thread. You won't understand it, but if you think a non-sophisticated investor could even remotely offer up a trade like that you are kidding yourself. Yep, I got my MBA and CFA (many yrs ago) just to post on Internet forums. Go ahead, explain what I'm talking about as a gave out a free market neutral idea to express a view on whether market was right or wrong about Apple in the near-term. You wont be able to google it to find an answer. Honestly, just block me if you don't want to read my posts.

Tell you who else has got an MBA: John Browett.

It doesn't actually prove your opinion is worth anything.

And that is assuming you really have an MBA.
post #233 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

it is my greatest investment dream that Apple buys Tesla. This gives them almost unlimited growth potential for the next 20 years and the ability to own a completely new market....

I'd like to see them do something in this area. It's a risky business to be in but It only took Musk <$200m to setup.

The question is though, what value would Apple bring to Tesla besides cash? If Tesla can turn a profit by itself, it doesn't need it. If it can't, it could end up being a black hole for Apple like it almost did for Musk.

I think the engineering and battery R&D could be very beneficial to them but I don't think Musk needs a tech company to take it over. If you owned a company and Apple offered to buy it from you when you wanted to retain control, you wouldn't necessarily agree to it, like what happened with DropBox.

I would like to see Apple bring to market the next revolution in battery technology, like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/17/researchers-devise-fast-and-powerful-microbattery/

That sort of thing would revolutionise everything in transport and electronics. That would make recharging an electric car go from 8 hours or so to seconds, similarly with laptops and mobile devices. I'd rather see batteries that have enough capacity that they don't ever need to be charged within a timeframe of 2 years+ but whatever is practical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram 
I recall that people were giving him a lot credit for managing a tough transition superbly, and sent the stock up with high hopes for the future.

As he took credit on the upside, it is perfectly logical for investors to expect him to take the blame.

I don't recall the praise for the increase being nearly as much as the criticism for the decrease and it certainly wasn't anything to do with new products given how quickly it happened. The main thing I would point to is that people now make suggestions that Tim should be fired because he's not as good as Steve and yet the stock rose by the same amount it fell while Tim was CEO. The classic one is the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac 
The high stock increase happened not that long after Jobs death so I think it is fair to assume he was just following a plan that Jobs had laid out.

In other words, Tim was riding off the disappointment of the iPhone 4S, when people expected a new model and Steve Jobs' passing. So any success is not his, that's because of Steve but all the problems are his fault. Tough job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac 
As to your question about what products could reinvigorate sales I think a larger screen iPhone along with a more affordable version would go a long way to calm the markets.

You mixed the two things together again: market success and sales success. The sales aren't down and don't need to be reinvigorated. Apple just had a record sales quarter. A more affordable iPhone will increase volume at the expense of profits (like what happened in Q1, which was apparently disappointing), a bigger screen will do nothing as it won't be an affordable model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac 
My point is that a very minor update to iOS along with a largely unchanged 4 inch 5S will not turn things around. They will have to either introduce a brand new product that proves hugely popular like the iPad or figure out a way to take their existing lines and sell a lot more of them than they have been doing.

What new product do you specifically want to see them make?
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv 
the money is better spent being paid out to shareholders

So rather than put the money out on headquarters that allows Apple to expand their talent and grow, you'd rather they issued a handout, which creates zero growth?
post #234 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Could you maybe say it somewhere the people care?

Why wouldn't people in AppleInsider - set up to be a forum for stockholders, as well as fans, not care on these kind of arguments. Correctly, or incorrectly, his argument is made cogently. I am not  stock holder, so I don't really care, the financial jargon is noise to me.  However he seems to know his stuff.

 

And really, moderators shouldn't be posting this kind of trite dismissal.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #235 of 304

I'd like to see Apple buy Visa. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #236 of 304
So DigiTimes is out with another rumor that Apple has halted all component orders for Macs speculating that the ramp up last year was overly aggressive. I'm sorry but these bad news rumors coming out right before earnings release (when Apple can't comment on them) doesn't pass the smell test. Especially with Verizon saying they sold 4M iPhones this quarter in line with expectations (and up from the 3.2M they sold this quarter last year).
post #237 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So DigiTimes is out with another rumor that Apple has halted all component orders for Macs speculating that the ramp up last year was overly aggressive. I'm sorry but these bad news rumors coming out right before earnings release (when Apple can't comment on them) doesn't pass the smell test. Especially with Verizon saying they sold 4M iPhones this quarter in line with expectations (and up from the 3.2M they sold this quarter last year).

It depends what models sell.

 

However, as Tim Cook says, they may as well cannibalise themselves.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #238 of 304
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
Why wouldn't people in AppleInsider - set up to be a forum for stockholders, as well as fans, not care on these kind of arguments. …incorrectly

 

Gee, I wonder why we wouldn't care.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #239 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

His point is....money is neither lost or gained unless the equity is sold. A loss/gain on paper is just that; an unrealized loss/gain---and means nothing until the stock is sold.

 

I bought AAPL @ (a split adjusted) $4.60/share and have held it for almost 15 years. This is just another blip in the chart on the way to $800, big deal. 1cool.gif

Exactly, Dickprinter.  And congrats on the long hold.  I'm in since $12.33 (split-adjusted) and concur with your blip comment.

 

Thompson

post #240 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Why wouldn't people in AppleInsider - set up to be a forum for stockholders, as well as fans, not care on these kind of arguments. Correctly, or incorrectly, his argument is made cogently. I am not  stock holder, so I don't really care, the financial jargon is noise to me.  However he seems to know his stuff.

And really, moderators shouldn't be posting this kind of trite dismissal.

Trite? He has to read every one of jdnc123's slobbering posts, and he can see through a phoney like this maybe a little bit better than you can. Here's an example of jndc's "cogent" prose for you to chew on, a reply to me just above on page 8 of this thread:
Quote:
Read my post on volatility trading around earnings on this thread. You won't understand it, but if you think a non-sophisticated investor could even remotely offer up a trade like that you are kidding yourself. Yep, I got my MBA and CFA (many yrs ago) just to post on Internet forums. Go ahead, explain what I'm talking about as a gave out a free market neutral idea to express a view on whether market was right or wrong about Apple in the near-term. You wont be able to google it to find an answer. Honestly, just block me if you don't want to read my posts
.

The guy is raving, manic. If you can't see that, you're not reading his English closely enough to see through the fakery. The jargon seems like it's being fed to him by someone who speaks finance natively, and he's just one of our old trolls retreaded as a market expert so he can zero in on Apple's perceived new vulnerability. I have an idea of who he is, or was . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results