or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's next-gen 9.7" iPad expected to be 25% lighter, 15% thinner, debut in Q3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's next-gen 9.7" iPad expected to be 25% lighter, 15% thinner, debut in Q3

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities expects Apple's fifth-generation iPad to be substantially smaller than the current model, while still managing to carry a GF2 touch panel, A7X processor and other improvements over its predecessor.

mould
Purported next-gen iPad cases. | Source: Tactus


In a note obtained by AppleInsider, Kuo notes that the next-gen iPad's thinness and lightness will be its key attributes, which should be significant enough to move more units as compared to the current model. The analyst believes Apple's third and fourth generation iPads didn't sell as well as anticipated because they were both heavier and thicker than the iPad 2.

"We think the tablet will, at 7.5-8.0mm, be 15% thinner than iPad 4," Kuo writes.

The slimness will come from new GF2 screen technology, a change from the current iPad's GG touch tech, which will also help in reducing power consumption. Kuo sees the "iPad 5" as requiring less juice, and expects a 25 to 30 percent decrease in battery size. Compared to the existing version, the cells will be reduced from three to two and will see a 15 to 20 percent reduction in thickness.

A much-rumored design change is also seen as likely, with the new full-size iPad taking on an aesthetic borrowed from the iPad mini. Thinner bezels and a more curved casing will bring parity to Apple's tablet lineup. The prediction is in line with rumors speculating as much, most recently culminating in two supposed leaks, one allegedly showing the iPad's front cover glass and another of purported cases built for the as-yet-unannounced device.

As far as internal components, the next iPad is expected to come with a new A7-series SoC manufactured on Samsung's 28 nanometer process, improving efficiency while increasing processing power.

There shouldn't be a change in camera specs, meaning the fourth-generation unit's 5-megapixel shooter will be carried over, as well as the front-facing FaceTime HD package.

Overall, the fifth-generation iPad, with the GF2 tech and consequent downgrading of battery size, will yield a thinner and lighter tablet. Weight is thought to be around 500 grams, compared to the current 650-gram iPad.

Kuo expects production to start ramping up in July and August ahead of a shipments in August or September.

Also noted in the report was an estimate on upcoming iPad lineup shipments. The analyst maintains an iPad mini 2 is set for release in the second half of 2013 and will account for 60 to 65 percent of all iPad shipments. Focusing on the 9.7-inch tablet, Kuo expects shipments of 15 million units by year's end.
post #2 of 39
So... basically 2014 iPad/iPhones will have the authentic stuff integrated directly on to the A7 series processor?
post #3 of 39
Apple is doom as the new ipad will see the production constrain and yes , the cannibation caused by ipad mini
post #4 of 39
Lighter would definitely be welcome.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Apple is doom as the new ipad will see the production constrain and yes , the cannibation caused by ipad mini
Yeah my iPad Mini causes me to light up a big ol spliff and all I see is production constrain.
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Lighter would definitely be welcome.

Agreed.

If the last two versions of the iPad ever had an Achilles Heal, it was that they had fat Achilles Heals.

Light is might!
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Apple is doom as the new ipad will see the production constrain and yes , the cannibation caused by ipad mini

So Apple is doomed because they're going to lose money to...Apple.

You. Genius.
post #8 of 39

I love my Microsoft Surface. Girls get moist when I slam that thick black beauty down on the library table and s-l-o-w-l-y creak that kickstand to it's fully erect position. They hold their collective breaths in anticipation of the satisfying sound of my keyboard snapping into place. I glow in personal satisfaction of having everyone's eyes on me as I sit there trying to figure out how to make it work in portrait mode...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #9 of 39
So Apple isn't releasing ANYTHING till Q3?, no wonder their shares are tumbling, nearly 5 months into 2013 and bugger all from them.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

So Apple isn't releasing ANYTHING till Q3?, no wonder their shares are tumbling, nearly 5 months into 2013 and bugger all from them.


Uh? If the stock market thinks like you do, screw the stock market.

 

Actually, why the hell doesn't Apple do as Dell does, go private? The stock market is useless anyway.

 

 

 

 

 

When Apple's ready, Apple will release "anything". If shares are dropping because Apple doesn't release a Zune "nearly five months into 2013", well, the stock market mistakenly thought APPL was MSFT. Sad story.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #11 of 39
Having been using an iPad mini for the past few months, I wouldn't mind a lighter, full-sized iPad.
post #12 of 39
The day Apple releases products to "satisfy" the market, and I mean that as in the only reason to release a product.. it's doomed. Screw the stock market, Apple needs to continue to focus on the consumer as they are the people who will keep them in business!!!
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytseman3 View Post

The day Apple releases products to "satisfy" the market, and I mean that as in the only reason to release a product.. it's doomed. Screw the stock market, Apple needs to continue to focus on the consumer as they are the people who will keep them in business!!!

 

Agreed! Screw the stock market. Customers and analysts cannot tell a company what they should release. Reason is, 9/10 times its for their own good and they of course will have some BS numbers to put behind it to prove its a widely requested feature or product. You know, if they can find 100 people requesting the same thing then well yes Apple better put it in. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #14 of 39

I remember when people around here were arguing vehemently with me that asking for a lighter iPad was crazy, and that perhaps what I really needed was stronger arms. Those same folks are probably saying the opposite now. Of course, I'm always ahead of the pack ;-)

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I remember when people around here were arguing vehemently with me that asking for a lighter iPad was crazy, and that perhaps what I really needed was stronger arms. Those same folks are probably saying the opposite now. Of course, I'm always ahead of the pack ;-)

1) Who, when and where said that wanting a lighter iPad is crazy? Are you sure you didn't word it in a way that wasn't realistic, likes saying you want the battery life to be 50 hours, the display to double-Retina, and it to be as thin as a butter knife? That would sound crazy. Or, saying that the iPad 3/4 is too heavy and too big and that they should have made it lighter and thinner than that iPad 2 without any care for battery life? That would also sound crazy.

2) With the new chips and lithography lighter and thinner were always going to happen. The iPad 3 was an anomaly in Apple's history.

3) When and why did DaHarder get banned? Scratch the 'why' as that is obvious.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/18/13 at 6:44am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #16 of 39
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
I remember when people around here were arguing vehemently with me that asking for a lighter iPad was crazy…

 

I remember people arguing that the iPad isn't heavy enough to be complaining about (and if we're talking about the first-gen, I maintain that it wasn't lol.gif), but never anyone who said lighter would be bad or was unthinkable.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) With the new chips and lithography lighter and thinner were always going to happen. The iPad 3 was an anomaly in Apple's history..

I don't know anybody who didn't buy a 3 because it was heavier or thicker than the 2. And did I miss something? Did the 3 sell less units than the 2? I thought people were trading in their 2s to buy a 3! The 4 likely has sold less because the mini cannibalized some sales from it.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I don't know anybody who didn't buy a 3 because it was heavier or thicker than the 2. And did I miss something? Did the 3 sell less units than the 2? I thought people were trading in their 2s to buy a 3! The 4 likely has sold less because the mini cannibalized some sales from it.

It was an anomaly but it was the right move. The Retina Display on the iPad for the same price was a huge step. So much so that making it noticeably heavier and thicker wasn't enough of an issue to prevent sales. I think the iPad 4 probably sold less, not because of the iPad mini, but because it was just faster with no other change. I think even less people were complaining about the iPad 3 performance than the weight or thickness. Still, I'll be happy to get a smaller, lighter, faster, strong iPad 5.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post


I don't know anybody who didn't buy a 3 because it was heavier or thicker than the 2. And did I miss something? Did the 3 sell less units than the 2? I thought people were trading in their 2s to buy a 3! The 4 likely has sold less because the mini cannibalized some sales from it.

 

I don't know anyone who didn't buy the 3 because it was heavier and thicker either, until the iPad mini came out.  

 

The iPad 3 came out six months before the mini so a lot of the sales of the 3 would have happened before anyone had the lighter thinner mini to compare it to.  The iPad mini is the real source of the perception that the iPad 3 is "heavy" because once you pick up a mini, the iPad 3 does indeed feel like a brick.  The mini is literally half the weight and does all the same things.  

 

Apple doesn't break out figures, but all indications are that the iPad mini is the most popular iPad they sell by a large margin.  Thus, this year's "regular" iPad will be turned into a "large iPad mini" by taking up design cues from it's upstart sibling.  

post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post


I don't know anybody who didn't buy a 3 because it was heavier or thicker than the 2. And did I miss something? Did the 3 sell less units than the 2? I thought people were trading in their 2s to buy a 3! The 4 likely has sold less because the mini cannibalized some sales from it.

 

Apple said they had a higher mix of the iPad 2 in their iPad sales than expected, causing a reduction in ASP after the iPad 3 was introduced (this was before the iPad mini).

post #21 of 39

Coming from an iPad 2 and iPad mini, I would not be interested in another iPad with faster graphics for videogames, or video resolution exceeding the human eye capabilities. But I would buy an iPad weighting less, with the same screen size of the 10" model: perfect for reading and writing, while taking it in your hands.

post #22 of 39

I'd buy a 1.5 pound 15" iPad. The original iPad isn't heavy, and having a 15" screen would be the first major gateway toward the future of portable computing.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 39
I will wait for a later iPad version. Because, I use the iPad for content consumption. Right now I can not rent a movie on my iPad, then watch it on my appleTV, then move back to the iPad. Many more examples. Bottom line is this, hardware is fine, they have to make content easier to view and to access.
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I don't know anyone who didn't buy the 3 because it was heavier and thicker either, until the iPad mini came out.  

 

The iPad 3 came out six months before the mini so a lot of the sales of the 3 would have happened before anyone had the lighter thinner mini to compare it to.  The iPad mini is the real source of the perception that the iPad 3 is "heavy" because once you pick up a mini, the iPad 3 does indeed feel like a brick.  The mini is literally half the weight and does all the same things.  

 

Apple doesn't break out figures, but all indications are that the iPad mini is the most popular iPad they sell by a large margin.  Thus, this year's "regular" iPad will be turned into a "large iPad mini" by taking up design cues from it's upstart sibling.  

They did extend the iPad2's production due to good demand, but yes I'm going to be switching to a lighter full size iPad with those sorts of "mini-like" attributes from my iPad 3.

post #25 of 39
Not so sure the iPad 5 will incorporate an A7/A7x, more likely an A6x on a 28nm process running about 30 percent faster than the one in the iPad 4 and maybe incorporating Apple's new fingerprint identification technology on-die.
post #26 of 39
Originally Posted by Tjduffy View Post
Right now I can not rent a movie on my iPad, then watch it on my appleTV, then move back to the iPad.

 

Well, yeah. You only get one view on that rental.


hardware is fine, they have to make content easier to view and to access.


So why in the world are you waiting for a later iPad when that's hardware?


Originally Posted by 1983 View Post
Not so sure the iPad 5 will incorporate an A7/A7x…
 

The fact that people say this EVERY SINGLE REVISION and are wrong doesn't tip you off to the fact that you're wrong? They're not going to use the same chip two years in a row. That's what the idiot trolls CLAIM every single time AFTER it has come out, and they're ALWAYS wrong.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

So Apple isn't releasing ANYTHING till Q3?, no wonder their shares are tumbling, nearly 5 months into 2013 and bugger all from them.

 

Yeah, cause Apple should just "release something" cause their stock is low. You know, a brilliant strategy for a company focused on great products and long term success. I would prefer than Apple continue working on whatever the hell they're working on behind the scenes, and make announcements when they're damn well ready. Having knee-jerk reactions in order to attempt to satisfy the stock is the sign of a weak company that lacks confidence and vision. It's actually comforting to me that Apple has remained quiet, because it shows that they see the big picture and are confident in their pipeline. By the way, what current generation Apple product are you unsatisfied with, that you desperately need it to be replaced with another version asap? What is it that is so desperately in need of an update? Apple's current lineup is extremely solid, and can hold it's own until Apple has something to show. 

 

Also, you may have noticed that there was a massive management shakeup not long ago. Forstall has been in charge of iOS since it's inception. The guy basically created the OS and its direction. Ive had a lot of catching up to do, and if people are really expecting a redesign from him, both both visually and functionally, that's a massive job and takes more than a few months. Apple knows it needs to get this right, and that it is better to release when ready than released an unfinished, buggy product in order to satisfy those with OCD, at the expense of hundreds of millions of people who will use the product. Transitions take time, and Apple deserves some time. They still have the best products in every single hardware category, so I don't see what the issue is. 

post #28 of 39

"The fact that people say this EVERY SINGLE REVISION and are wrong doesn't tip you off to the fact that you're wrong? They're not going to use the same chip two years in a row. That's what the idiot trolls CLAIM every single time AFTER it has come out, and they're ALWAYS wrong."

 

Yes I know, but the reason I'm predicting it this time is that I'd imagine the 'A7' is going to be a much more powerful SoC than the A6 and that requires quite a lot more transistors, which even at 28nm its going to be a bigger more power-hungry chip - and with the redesign of the iPad seemingly directed at getting it thinner, lighter and more power efficient so as to get the battery size down, this would seem the way to go, it still would be faster, and the current iPad 4 is not lacking in power, its just too heavy! Nonetheless I would still be happy if I'm wrong and they do manage to get a powerhouse A7/A7x into a slimmer lighter iPad. 

post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

So Apple isn't releasing ANYTHING till Q3?, no wonder their shares are tumbling, nearly 5 months into 2013 and bugger all from them.

Do you happen to remember that the iPad mini was in short supply because GF2 displays were hard to make in the numbers needed? You don't? I thought not.

Now they're going to make a second, larger GF2 device in large numbers. Do you think the equipment for making these displays grows on trees in Taiwan?

They'll release when their manufacturing capacity allows. Bugger all indeed.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

"The fact that people say this EVERY SINGLE REVISION and are wrong doesn't tip you off to the fact that you're wrong? They're not going to use the same chip two years in a row. That's what the idiot trolls CLAIM every single time AFTER it has come out, and they're ALWAYS wrong."


Yes I know, but the reason I'm predicting it this time is that I'd imagine the 'A7' is going to be a much more powerful SoC than the A6 and that requires quite a lot more transistors, which even at 28nm its going to be a bigger more power-hungry chip - and with the redesign of the iPad seemingly directed at getting it thinner, lighter and more power efficient so as to get the battery size down, this would seem the way to go, it still would be faster, and the current iPad 4 is not lacking in power, its just too heavy! Nonetheless I would still be happy if I'm wrong and they do manage to get a powerhouse A7/A7x into a slimmer lighter iPad. 

Maybe ol' Ming-Chi left out the part about IGZO. I hope for that too.

Come to think of it, I don't remember reading anything that says GF2 saves on power.
Edited by Flaneur - 4/18/13 at 10:34am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Yes I know, but the reason I'm predicting it this time is that I'd imagine the 'A7' is going to be a much more powerful SoC than the A6 and that requires quite a lot more transistors, which even at 28nm its going to be a bigger more power-hungry chip - and with the redesign of the iPad seemingly directed at getting it thinner, lighter and more power efficient so as to get the battery size down, this would seem the way to go, it still would be faster, and the current iPad 4 is not lacking in power, its just too heavy! Nonetheless I would still be happy if I'm wrong and they do manage to get a powerhouse A7/A7x into a slimmer lighter iPad.

What evidence do you have the A7 will be a much bigger, more-power hungry chip?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #32 of 39
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

with the redesign of the iPad seemingly directed at getting it thinner, lighter and more power efficient so as to get the battery size down, this would seem the way to go… …if I'm wrong and they do manage to get a powerhouse A7/A7x into a slimmer lighter iPad. 

 

Thing about Apple is to not believe the hate. They've always been capable of more than any other company.


the current iPad 4 is not lacking in power, its just too heavy!

 

It's 1.3 pounds. Come on. They're not asking for you to Iron Cross four gallons of milk, now. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #33 of 39

I don't, but usually the way to get a more powerful processor without bumbing up the clock speed too much means going to more processor cores - more processor cores requires more transistors, more sophisticated GPU's require more transistors etc...more transistors increases dye size and thus power consumption. This increased power consumption is countered by reducing transistor size - 45nm to 32nm etc...but this year the smallest widely available process is 28nm which is only about 30 percent smaller than the current A6x's 32nm process. You can fit nearly two 32nm transistors into the space of one 45nm one - you can only fit about 1.3 28nm transistors into the space of a single 32nm one - see what I'm getting at? They can't say double or more...the processing power of the next gen SoC without significantly increasing the transistor count and power consumption. 28nm doesn't provide enough headroom for that - next years 20nm process will. But the iPad 5 isn't coming out next year, its coming out in a few months - according to the rumour mills. That's why I'm guessing (and only guessing - I'm allowed too, right?) that they'll carry over the A6x on a 28nm process at a slightly faster clock speed with no increased power consumption. Of course if Apple goes IGZO with the display - which from what I understand is considerably more power efficient than the iPad's current LCD technology, then I suppose that would go some way to counter the increased power consumption from a potentially more powerful A7/A7x chip maybe? We'll see...

post #34 of 39

The story seems reasonable, except for the timetable. Releasing in September means a full year between versions.

 

If Jobs saw the flagship product getting beaten into the ground by its mini-version, he'd have cracked the whip and had the slimmer version out in six months.

 

Is the new iPad going to play second fiddle again, this time to a holiday-issue iPad Mini with Retina?

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Agreed.

If the last two versions of the iPad ever had an Achilles Heal, it was that they had fat Achilles Heals.

Light is might!

Heel.
post #36 of 39
I'd be happier if they had an extended life model with the same thickness and weight but a longer battery life.

Apple's big enough now, it needs more options.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Heel.

 

Sorry, my bad.

 

Spelling is my achilles 'heal'.

 

1wink.gif

post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post


iPad Mini causes me to light up a big ol spliff

 

Finally, this is the sort of aggressive push for mindshare I've been hoping to see from Apple.

post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The mini is literally half the weight and does all the same things.  

 

Except display 2048-by-1536 resolution (for now).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's next-gen 9.7" iPad expected to be 25% lighter, 15% thinner, debut in Q3
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's next-gen 9.7" iPad expected to be 25% lighter, 15% thinner, debut in Q3