or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Rumor: Apple halts Mac component orders, is less 'aggressive' looking forward
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple halts Mac component orders, is less 'aggressive' looking forward

post #1 of 73
Thread Starter 
Apple has reportedly stopped placing component orders for its Mac line of desktops and notebooks, leaving suppliers in the lurch and observers wondering what the impact will be on the company's bottom line.

macs


The rumor comes from supposed "related upstream suppliers," who tell hit-or-miss tech news site Digitimes that they originally expected Apple to work through its Mac inventories in April but that they're still waiting for additional orders and instructions from the computer maker. Apple's supply chain orders following the Lunar New Year holidays are said to have dropped nearly nothing.

The supposed order shift could signal that Apple overestimated demand for its notebook and desktop models in the face of a struggling PC market. Apple typically gives its suppliers a shipment forecast for the upcoming 12 weeks, but the company is said to have not provided a shipment forecast for the second quarter. Some suppliers reportedly are worried that shipments might not resume until May.

Supply chain issues have been a bigger problem for Apple of late, as the precision required in manufacturing some Mac products has occasionally led to shortages that impacted overall sales. Of recent, though, Mac sales are thought to have been on the rebound.

The PC industry has continually shrunk as consumers have opted for smartphones and tablets instead of traditional computing form factors. Apple, a leader in both the smartphone and tablet segments, has traditionally benefitted from this trend, with CEO Tim Cook calling Apple's iPad the "poster child of the post-PC revolution."

Readers can always find the best prices on Apple's Mac lineup by visiting the AppleInsider Mac Price Guide. Included below is the portion for the iMac, Apple's most recently redesigned Mac lineup.
post #2 of 73
Or just new models coming out soon....
post #3 of 73

Someone must be desperate for AAPL stock to be cheaper to be pushing out all these rumors.

post #4 of 73

Apple is doomed!!!!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #5 of 73
OK, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Consumers are spending that money on tablets. Its natural that laptop and desktop sales will continue to go down.
post #6 of 73

I saw in a popup ad a rumor from a guy who heard from a guy on the internet that heard from his girlfriend that worked with a guy that was in a bathroom stall when he heard someone that he swore was Tim Cook talking to himself. Tim definitely said that Apple is going to give every long Apple shareholder 1 million dollars just for being loyal.

post #7 of 73
hmm

Edited by eksodos - 8/28/13 at 5:14pm
post #8 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

I saw in a popup ad a rumor from a guy who heard from a guy on the internet that heard from his girlfriend that worked with a guy that was in a bathroom stall when he heard someone that he swore was Tim Cook talking to himself. Tim definitely said that Apple is going to give every long Apple shareholder 1 million dollars just for being loyal.

 

Good summary 1biggrin.gif

post #9 of 73
Wait... You all read past that this came from "tech news site Digitimes?"
post #10 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

 

People were saying this in the run up to the last earnings call too: analysts had it all wrong, rumours were wrong, the stock would soar once the earnings were announced. Instead it sunk from $500 to around $460 after earnings.

 

I believe no one has expected stock to soar after last earnings call, because they usually sink afterwards. Only extraordinary good reports that blow even degenerated WS analyst mind away do that. Otherwise WS bastards use any kind of info to lure stock from small investors and then in between reports they drove it back up and sell with big profit. Of course, they are idiots, because they loose money when hammering stock down as well. I bet none of them with all their computing power haven't got a clue what they are actually doing. They just want to collect quarterly bonuses and that's it. 

 

Remember how they drove Google up to 750 and then down to 450 and now back to 800? Because of earnings? P/E? Confidence? Future profits? Come one, don'T be naive...:)

 

Apple is just a perfect victim for their dirty deeds: secrecy, management incompetence to combine product development secrecy with market communication, changing product cycles and of course: it's own ecosystem.

 

Price of Apple stock has nothing to do with position of Apple in the world and nothing with the earnings.

post #11 of 73
post #12 of 73

I see the drop in AAPL as being a double-edge sword. For honest investors, it's a bad sign and they will lose money. For Apple, a lower stock price makes it a lot easier to buy back a huge amount of stock for a lot less money. I know many honest people have made a lot of money investing in AAPL for the long term and I feel bad for them (never invested in APPL because of work restrictions). On the other hand, I'd love to put all those dishonest stock manipulators into the poor house if Apple could go private or at least reduce its exposure to the dishonest stock market. Once the market doesn't matter, Apple can focus on doing what they do best, providing the best computing experience in the world.

post #13 of 73

Taking Apple Private would be like the largest LBO.  Ever.  LOL  ;)

post #14 of 73
I usually take most things at face value, but this rumor sounds made up to me.

I can't imagine a situation where they would halt ordering components for all their computers. Maybe one line of computer, or one kind of component. And they don't keep that much inventory on hand anyway do they? 2-3 weeks? It just doesn't add up.
post #15 of 73
Apple cuts the component order coz Apple is going to reinvent the computer . A touchable Mac.
post #16 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Sure, they could.  Tim Cook allowed the narrative to be taken away from Apple and this is now a self-fulfilling implosion of historical proportions in the markets.  They are caught up in the PC downtrend, but he was clearly caught flat footed in smartphones.  Samsung expected to nearly double earnings this year and Apple shrinking.  

I'm not sure who is more stressed out.  Investors or employees who are watching their net worth evaporate.  Went from working for a visionary to a man that can't articulate a strategy.  It is really sad.  

Samsung doubling its earning wont make it earn more than Apple . In fact , I don't think Samsung has the ability to earn more than Apple any time in future.
post #17 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Sure, they could.  Tim Cook allowed the narrative to be taken away from Apple and this is now a self-fulfilling implosion of historical proportions in the markets.  They are caught up in the PC downtrend, but he was clearly caught flat footed in smartphones.  Samsung expected to nearly double earnings this year and Apple shrinking.  

I'm not sure who is more stressed out.  Investors or employees who are watching their net worth evaporate.  Went from working for a visionary to a man that can't articulate a strategy.  It is really sad.  
You seem pretty stressed out over Tim Cook.
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Sure, they could.  Tim Cook allowed the narrative to be taken away from Apple and this is now a self-fulfilling implosion of historical proportions in the markets.  They are caught up in the PC downtrend, but he was clearly caught flat footed in smartphones.  Samsung expected to nearly double earnings this year and Apple shrinking.

Well, the computer market is shrinking, but Mac is becoming a bigger percentage of it. And it's tablets that are cannibalising PCs more than phones, and iPad dominates there, so I don't buy your narrative. 

 

But that's not the reason I don't believe the rumor. I don't believe it because when Apple moves you can normally see the thought that has gone in to it, but just outright cancelling all orders (as against this or that particular component) seems uncharacteristically broad and thoughtless. It's not something they would do.

 

Edit: And they haven't been caught flat footed on phones either, everyone else has been playing catch up with the iPhone for a long time, some big old phone companies nearly bankrupt because of it. Now you could argue Android has finally caught up, but playing catch up and innovating are 2 different things. The media was by and large underwhelmed with the Galaxy S4.


Edited by ascii - 4/18/13 at 8:10am
post #19 of 73

Two ways to stop the disturbers. Block, block, block and then start blocking those who continuously quote them. Quoting & replying just supports the envious.The read at AI is so much better with out them. Both suffer anger issues.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #20 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

no CEO has every destroyed that much value, let alone in such short order.  Harvard Business Review case studies will be written about this. 

No CEO has ever created that much value in such short order. Just hope short sellers see what everyone else sees.
post #21 of 73

It's quite possible Apple "removed" that vendor due to compliance and shifted the orders to another vendor.  It happened before also and everyone was crying, "oh no, Apple is not placing orders..."  Stupid stock manipulators...argh!

 

I dont know any company in history that had the profit run rate that Apple did in December Quarter.  It was like $1 Billion a week.  Thats sick.  Profit!!

 

People failed to realized the quarter was a week short from the previous quarter not matter how much apple kept saying that.  Haters.

 

I have been Long Apple since 1998 and continue to be so.

 

I think Tim Cook is a tremendous CEO.  Apple stock, while he was CEO and in his interim stints, was always at an all time high (better record then Steve).  Nothing to take away from Steve, I love the guy as everyone here.

 

Apple has a P/E to Growth Ration of like 0.50 which is unheard of for a tech company.  Its the best investment valuation from any angle.

 

Apologies for rambling.  But I needed to vent at this stock price!  lol

 

Super LONG Apple.

post #22 of 73
You are about to confuse everybody with facts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple4U View Post

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-18/tsmc-first-quarter-profit-beats-estimates-on-smartphones.html?cmpid=yhoo

Should be a good sign for Apple, in light of all the "bad" news....
post #23 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

This company going nowhere but down with him leading it.

Well except for record revenues and profits, right?

post #24 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You are about to confuse everybody with facts!

LOL. Sorry!

post #25 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


No CEO has ever created that much value in such order. Just hope short sellers see what everyone else sees.

The problem is that the person you are responding to is only referring to "enterprise value" (since that's the only metric he can use to show that Tim Cook is this "horrible" CEO) which is a metric that says if you run up lots of debt you can potentially be "more valuable" than a company with no debt.  He will ignore the record revenues, record profits, that the stock is more valuable than any time prior to his taking over, that market cap is higher than it was before he took over, etc.  Those are apparently not signs of Tim Cook "creating value".

post #26 of 73
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
Not stressed, just hope employees, investors, etc see what I see and push him out the door.

 

How about you push yourself out the door?


This company going nowhere but down with him leading it.

 

Marketshare: UP

Profit: UP

Cash: UP

Satisfaction: UP

Quality: UP

 

"Nowhere" is a difficult town to find.


We are over $300 billion of value evaporated at this point in less than a year.  Its really an epic implosion.  Its like a train wreck.  What you are watching has never happened before, no CEO has every destroyed that much value, let alone in such short order.  Harvard Business Review case studies will be written about this. 

 

How about you stop repeating this in every post, okay? That's the nice way of saying I'd rather not see it anymore. You've become slapppy in a shorter time than he could have ever dreamed.

post #27 of 73
I may not believe the report, in all of its details, but manufacturing is likely scheduled well ahead of schedule. It wouldn't take long to suddenly have a surplus on your hands. Combine this with several actions that are out of character for Apple, such as mid course price corrections and discounting old models and I think there is some evidence to suspect a collapse in sales volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I usually take most things at face value, but this rumor sounds made up to me.

I can't imagine a situation where they would halt ordering components for all their computers. Maybe one line of computer, or one kind of component. And they don't keep that much inventory on hand anyway do they? 2-3 weeks? It just doesn't add up.

Well that is a bit harder to say, for example if the Mac Pro rev is near I could see them stopping production on that and the Mini. The Mini because it needs an overhaul as bad as the Pro and debuting two new models at the same time ought to really help marketing.

The other thing here is Haswell, the expectations are high with respect to Haswell, so I can see people simply waiting for the new hardware to come out. I know I am. So while the report might not be entirely based in fact the one thing that is certain is that there are a number of things happening that could be drastically impacting Apples sales.
post #28 of 73
Another day of letting jdnc123's trolling jack up the forums. 1oyvey.gif

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #29 of 73

OK manipulators,

 

I'm fine with all of these bogus malicious rumors, just tell me when you're buying in so I can pick some up too.

 

Thanks,

Retrogusto

post #30 of 73
What was never there can't evaporate. Apples high price last year was due to market manipulation and speculation and had little to do with real value. As to Apples current state you can't make decisions about the ability of Cook based on rumors. I mean really how would you like it if your boss rated your performance and adjusted your compensation based on rumors heard in the mail room?

Next week we ought to have real facts to work with but right now we have nothing but rumors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Not stressed, just hope employees, investors, etc see what I see and push him out the door.  This company going nowhere but down with him leading it. We are over $300 billion of value evaporated at this point in less than a year.  Its really an epic implosion.  Its like a train wreck.  What you are watching has never happened before, no CEO has every destroyed that much value, let alone in such short order.  Harvard Business Review case studies will be written about this. 
post #31 of 73
In case you haven't noticed, THE ECONOMY SUCKS! Lots of energy sources at home, but the government won't allow them to be exploited (or even construct a pipeline for Canada's oil heading to our refineries). Upcoming ObamaCare rules and regs causing restaurants, movie chains (Regal Cinema the latest) and other small businesses to cut hours back to under 30 per week to avoid new taxes. Health insurance is going up, gasoline is always around $4 a gallon, but hey, if you dig getting food stamps, like scamming Social Security with fake disability claims, live on extended unemployment checks, think that the new higher minimum wage proposal ($9) is the answer to more jobs (if so, why stop at $9? Why not $50? $250?), then Obama / Reid / Pelosi is your government trifecta! You reap what you sow, people, and for you suckers who bought into what this flim-flam front man and his liberal band was selling, get used to "living the dream."
post #32 of 73
Who's buying computers these days? They're too doggone good already! Dude! So stoked for new retina MINI-iPad, right? The truck just doesn't have the charm of the sportscar.
post #33 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Well except for record revenues and profits, right?

Right.

post #34 of 73
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post
In case you haven't noticed, THE ECONOMY SUCKS! Lots of energy sources at home, but the government won't allow them to be exploited (or even construct a pipeline for Canada's oil heading to our refineries). Upcoming ObamaCare rules and regs causing restaurants, movie chains (Regal Cinema the latest) and other small businesses to cut hours back to under 30 per week to avoid new taxes. Health insurance is going up, gasoline is always around $4 a gallon, but hey, if you dig getting food stamps, like scamming Social Security with fake disability claims, live on extended unemployment checks, think that the new higher minimum wage proposal ($9) is the answer to more jobs (if so, why stop at $9? Why not $50? $250?), then Obama / Reid / Pelosi is your government trifecta! You reap what you sow, people, and for you suckers who bought into what this flim-flam front man and his liberal band was selling, get used to "living the dream."

 

I'm uncertain what any of this has to do with the thread, or anything outside PO, for that matter.


But if you're claiming that "slowing sales" and "lower numbers" would be a result of the economy, please note that during the entirety of the recession (I will make no statement as to whether or not we're "out of it" yet, so if you believe we aren't, simply append an "as of yet". Otherwise, continue), Apple posted record-breaking quarter after record-breaking quarter. People just kept buying their stuff. 


Now, that doesn't preclude the current state of affairs heading toward a WORSE situation, but it should put into perspective doomsayers that base their thoughts on the economy.

post #35 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

Who's buying computers these days? They're too doggone good already! Dude! So stoked for new retina MINI-iPad, right? The truck just doesn't have the charm of the sportscar.

Well I actually see an argument for a swing back in the direction of desktops: for the desktop. Mobile is largely satisfied with an iPad or iPad mini (outside content creation and that's a fraction of overall mobile use I'll warrant) so that eats into laptops and for the desk, why settle for a more exspensive, smaller and less powerful machine and screen?

 

There's always turnover as well as new users.

post #36 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

In case you haven't noticed, THE ECONOMY SUCKS! Lots of energy sources at home, but the government won't allow them to be exploited (or even construct a pipeline for Canada's oil heading to our refineries). Upcoming ObamaCare rules and regs causing restaurants, movie chains (Regal Cinema the latest) and other small businesses to cut hours back to under 30 per week to avoid new taxes. Health insurance is going up, gasoline is always around $4 a gallon, but hey, if you dig getting food stamps, like scamming Social Security with fake disability claims, live on extended unemployment checks, think that the new higher minimum wage proposal ($9) is the answer to more jobs (if so, why stop at $9? Why not $50? $250?), then Obama / Reid / Pelosi is your government trifecta! You reap what you sow, people, and for you suckers who bought into what this flim-flam front man and his liberal band was selling, get used to "living the dream."

The economy does suck that is true.  

 

The minimum wage comment was the dumbest thing I ever read.  Pretending a $1.75 an hour increase could then turn into a $41.75 an hour increase is moronic.  I guess this is the internet, home of idiots everywhere.  People who think minimum wage is so bad crack me up because I always wonder if they are in favor of slave labor.  Essentially you are saying $7.25 is too much, so what would be too little?  $5? $3? Work for food and shelter?  The reason so many people scam disability is they wouldn't make anymore if they actually worked.

 

Or to put this in another way, if you trimmed the average CEO's salary from 12 to 10 million a year, you could provide a $2 an hour increase to 500 workers who are likely to just put the money back into circulation anyway.  And if you say that is "socialist" well if you think a guy making 10 million a year, and a guy making 9.25 an hour is socialism you are as dumb as your comment makes you seem.

 

It's human nature not to be able to control yourself.  Left without rules and regulations we would have Kings and Lords again.  If you dont believe it ask yourself why it took 1000s of years for a democratic country to be formed.  Or a more modern example, why do "smart" people like GMs and Owners need a salarly cap to prevent them form spending more than they make?  It's human nature and nothing else.  Boards and CEOs are the same way, one guy gets a raise, then the next guy, and before you know it CEOs make 355 times more than the average worker in the US.  In other words their 1 day is worth someone else's years worth of work.

 

So call me socialist, call me whatever you want, but 1000s of years of history dont like.  Neither does what is happening in the US right in front of us with a shrinking middle class.  The new feudalism.

post #37 of 73
I really like AppleInsider, but come on! You need to stop this absurd reliance on DigiTimes for information. What is your problem? You know they're wrong 90% of the time. What on Earth could make you keep pushing out thier crap?

Step up, AI. You have the "Apple" part down, but an "Insider" Digitimes is not. It might help if you pretend for a minute that the "I" stands for Integrity.
post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

<snip> Harvard Business Review case studies will be written about this. 

With all due respect jdnc, referring to the idiots that Harvard turns out as some sort of den of 'experts' does not help your case.  I'll remind you that it was these same nose-in-the-air Harvard business 'types' that almost drove Apple into the ground back in the 1990's - coincidentally at the exact same time I bought all of my Apple stock for $12.00 a share and even then the news was reporting that Apple had less than six months to survive.  Just because you go to a business college doesn't mean that you actually know anything about running a business.  It just means that you went to college.  A fair number of the dumbest business people on this planet went to college and some of those went to Harvard.

post #39 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What was never there can't evaporate. Apples high price last year was due to market manipulation and speculation and had little to do with real value.

Exactly. All those ridiculous estimate share prices were nothing more than a way to create a pump-and-dump scheme. Now that all the big boys have made their money riding the wave up they're driving the stock down to pump-and-dump again. One should have been selling through the rise not buying more and more. It's your own damn fault if you lost money in this by being greedy rather than taking your profits. You were set up to be pigs for the slaughter.

post #40 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well, the computer market is shrinking, but Mac is becoming a bigger percentage of it. And it's tablets that are cannibalising PCs more than phones, and iPad dominates there, so I don't buy your narrative. 

 

But that's not the reason I don't believe the rumor. I don't believe it because when Apple moves you can normally see the thought that has gone in to it, but just outright cancelling all orders (as against this or that particular component) seems uncharacteristically broad and thoughtless. It's not something they would do.

 

Edit: And they haven't been caught flat footed on phones either, everyone else has been playing catch up with the iPhone for a long time, some big old phone companies nearly bankrupt because of it. Now you could argue Android has finally caught up, but playing catch up and innovating are 2 different things. The media was by and large underwhelmed with the Galaxy S4.

A Galaxy S4 (or, my preference, Galaxy 3s) is being priced above the iPhone 5! Samsung having some component issues it seems. Which, IIRC, they actually warned about in the last reanings announvcement.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Rumor: Apple halts Mac component orders, is less 'aggressive' looking forward