or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon's 4M iPhone activations in line with expectations, showing Apple's 'stability'

Verizon's 4M iPhone activations in line with expectations, showing Apple's 'stability'

post #1 of 36
While iPhone growth may be slowing, Apple's hugely profitable smartphone franchise isn't going anywhere, as evidenced by the latest on-target activation numbers at Verizon, the largest carrier in the U.S.

Verizon

The iPhone represented more than half of all smartphone activations at Verizon in the March quarter, reaching almost 56 percent. That share is an increase from the same quarter a year ago, when the iPhone was 51 percent of Verizon smartphone activations.

To analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, Verizon's results "show stability in iPhone's franchise in the U.S.," something that he believes should be viewed as a comforting positive to investors in AAPL stock.

Munster has projected that Apple sold 35.5 million iPhones in its March quarter, an estimate slightly lower than Wall Street expectations of 37 million units. The analyst noted that the big "wild card" leading up to Apple's earnings report is international iPhone sales.

Verizon also reported on Thursday that about half of the 4 million iPhone activations it saw were LTE models. Currently, only one iPhone model offers 4G LTE connectivity: the iPhone 5.

To Munster, a 50-50 split between the iPhone 5 and the legacy iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 models could imply a slightly weaker average selling price on iPhones for the March quarter. He had instead expected the iPhone 5 would account for about 60 percent of total iPhone sales.

If the iPhone 5 represented 50 percent of total iPhone sales outside of Verizon, he believes it could mean a 4 percent downside to his projected $625 average selling price. That would lower the ASP of the iPhone to $600 for the March quarter.

The speculation and estimates for Apple's March quarter will come to an end next week, when the company will report earnings for its second fiscal quarter of 2013 on Tuesday, April 23. Earnings will be reported after the markets close, and a conference call with members of Apple's executive team will follow at 5 p.m. Eastern, 2 p.m. Pacific. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.
post #2 of 36

"But but but but but but STOCK PRICE!"

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 36
I don't think you can draw that conclusion. Even if the US were still Apple's largest market it still wouldn't be representative of the world. I think all you can say with a fair amount of relative certainty is that Verizon's numbers show Apple's stability in the US.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"But but but but but but STOCK PRICE!"

I'm not complaining here, since it doesn't affect me personally, and I'm not holding any AAPL at moment, but you have to admit that the stock action is kind of ridiculous, wouldn't you agree?

It really is bizarro world, IMO. Up is down and good is bad.

Who are all of these morons that are selling the stock? There has got to be tons of morons out there, as the selling never seems to stop, no matter which level AAPL drops to. And the volume is heavy too, both yesterday and today.

post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone represented more than half of all smartphone activations at Verizon in the March quarter, reaching almost 56 percent. That share is an increase from the same quarter a year ago, when the iPhone was 51 percent of Verizon smartphone activations.

Explain me this, if on the largest three US cell network operators (with addition of t-mobile now it is likely on top 4 now), iPhone has more than 50% smartphone share (on AT&T it is actually close to 80%), how come iPhone's market share is less than Androids (52% vs 39%) according to Comscore... ? 1confused.gif

post #6 of 36

Quote:

Verizon's 4M iPhone activations in line with expectations, showing Apple's 'stability'

Apple has been stable only.

post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think you can draw that conclusion. Even if the US were still Apple's largest market it still wouldn't be representative of the world. I think all you can say with a fair amount of relative certainty is that Verizon's numbers show Apple's stability in the US.

Really - Verizon sales up 25% for iPhone, 3% for non-iPhone Smartphone.  I would say it confirms Comscore and Statcounter data of continued growth of US iPhone share.

post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianloftus View Post

Really - Verizon sales up 25% for iPhone, 3% for non-iPhone Smartphone.  I would say it confirms Comscore and Statcounter data of continued growth of US iPhone share.

Is your "Really" comment a disagreement with my comment because the rest of your comment is restating what I said in my last sentence?

post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Explain me this, if on the largest three US cell network operators (with addition of t-mobile now it is likely on top 4 now), iPhone has more than 50% smartphone share (on AT&T it is actually close to 80%), how come iPhone's market share is less than Androids (52% vs 39%) according to Comscore... ? 1confused.gif

This is exactly the question I have too! Numbers put out by these data vendors and consulting firms are pure bogus. What surprises me is why someone from the WSJ or CNBC doesn't ask these kinds of simple questions...

post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who are all of these morons that are selling the stock? There has got to be tons of morons out there, as the selling never seems to stop, no matter which level AAPL drops to. And the volume is heavy too, both yesterday and today.

I don't think anybody's home at Apple HQ.

I do find the stock movement in the past couple days to be unprecedented.

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't think anybody's home at Apple HQ.

I do find the stock movement in the past couple days to be unprecedented.

Look at this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2013/04/18/three-apple-charts-you-need-to-see-now/

The guy is basically saying that if Apple reports badly next week it may hit $200 (see the chart) which is almost below the cash reserves. 1wink.gif

post #12 of 36
Quote:

Look at this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2013/04/18/three-apple-charts-you-need-to-see-now/

The guy is basically saying that if Apple reports badly next week it may hit $200 (see the chart) which is almost below the cash reserves. 1wink.gif

Just how much credibility is some one worth who predicts a stock price at UNDER 1 future P/E less cash?

As to who's selling? Probably people in the cost basis position like me of still being way above 1000% in profit, who've just gotten tired of all the drama. I'm not there yet, but I can sympathize.

post #13 of 36

Chartists are morons. Those charts work on an average sample of stocks, if ever, picking a stock and ignoring it's ( say) cash reserve is nonsense.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

My only hope is that all these recent drops are also in anticipation of very bad news next week. So perhaps the market is already taking bad numbers into account and we won't see a massive drop like $50 or more on bad earnings. 
Oh it will. Doesn't ever seem to be a bottom with this stock. You'd think being down $300 or so in the last 6 months would have already priced in bad news. But if the quarter is not great or even if its totally predictable the stock will still drop, and we'll get more screaming about how Apple is doomed. And probably calls for Cook's head. If the quarter is better than expected the stock will be flat or maybe jump a bit, but not 5%. Only Amazon can lose money in a quarter and jump 5% the next day.
post #15 of 36

Comscore is installed base I think. Nevertheless it does seem a bit low.

post #16 of 36
Quote:

This is exactly the question I have too! Numbers put out by these data vendors and consulting firms are pure bogus. What surprises me is why someone from the WSJ or CNBC doesn't ask these kinds of simple questions...

That could be explained if iphone owners change there phone more often than android users. Like mention above there is the pre-paid market too.

The market share numbers are not bogus...

I know lots of people who bought the Nexus 4 at 300$. Thats unlock, and it allows you to get the pre-paid plans here in Canada. I am seeing a lot more android phones "in the wild" than last year.

Edited by herbapou - 4/18/13 at 10:07am
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Chartists are morons.

That just about captures it.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am seeing a lot more android phones "in the wild" than last year.

Yeah, me too.

But I'm seeing a lot more iPhones also.
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:

That could be explained if iphone owners change there phone more often than android users. Like mention above there is the pre-paid market too.

The market share numbers are not bogus...

I know lots of people who bought the Nexus 4 at 300$. Thats unlock, and it allows you to get the pre-paid plans here in Canada. I am seeing a lot more android phones "in the wild" than last year.

No offense, but when it comes to tech sales and market shares, Canada is about as important as one slightly large US state (if that).
post #20 of 36
Quote:

that's US market share. worldwide android has higher share because its cheaper. most countries there are no contracts like in the US. You pay full price for the phone. iphone is close to $1000 in some countries after the 20% VAT tax.

the magic price that a lot of people buy phones at is $300. at that price range android is a better deal

post #21 of 36
Quote:

He also opens with "Apple is taking a pounding. The bubble has burst."

Erm, what "bubble" exactly? Their price valuation was spot on, if not a bit low at $700.

They weren't in a position like the real estate market in '07… 

Bubble my arse… when a "columnist" opens with a sentence like that I don't even bother reading the rest.

post #22 of 36
Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post
…getting creamed… …never happened before in the history of the world… Nobody has ever seen this happen before.  …getting smoked.  They will all want to move on to someplace they can make money with stock options for their valuable talent… …really, really scary… …bailing…

Any more fearmongering phrases, or are you done for today? 

Seriously. BE. DONE. FOR. TODAY.

post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh it will. Doesn't ever seem to be a bottom with this stock. You'd think being down $300 or so in the last 6 months would have already priced in bad news. But if the quarter is not great or even if its totally predictable the stock will still drop, and we'll get more screaming about how Apple is doomed. And probably calls for Cook's head. If the quarter is better than expected the stock will be flat or maybe jump a bit, but not 5%. Only Amazon can lose money in a quarter and jump 5% the next day.

Apple should just go private if it drops anymore. Not like they need the market cap, their quarterly revenues and cash pile are more than enough. Would be worth it to avoid all this drama and get the pressure and burden of investors off their backs, and the negative perception all the stock talk brings to the company. 

post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not complaining here, since it doesn't affect me personally, and I'm not holding any AAPL at moment, but you have to admit that the stock action is kind of ridiculous, wouldn't you agree?

Ha, ha, ha, ha! Sorry but this is just too funny! You really want to know and I quote from you "Who are all of these morons that are selling the stock?" Well, YOU are one of these "morons". You just said it and I quote again from you "I'm not holding any AAPL at moment". So, you did have AAPL actions and... sold it, just like "these morons"! lol.gif

post #25 of 36
Quote:

Please stop with the Apple going private talk.  Nothing in life is impossible, but Apple going private is about as close as you can get to impossible.  

Oh, f*ck off. I can talk about whatever I damn well please. We have to tolerate all your raving and ranting in every single damn thread, where every post of yours is a near duplicate of the last. So don't tell me what I can and can't talk about, because all you've been doing is gloating and trolling, just foaming at the mouth with joy and excitement over the stock price, and demanding ridiculous measures. 

My question to you, is what the f*ck do you want? You keep demanding the ouster of Cook, so give us a name you would suggest instead of the person who has been with Apple for decades, was instrumental in its success, understands the company to the core, and hand-picked by Steve Jobs to be CEO.

Who should lead Apple? Come out with it and tell us, and explain what makes them more qualified to lead a company like Apple. You don't offer any solutions except firing the CEO, hiring a random shmoe instead, and cancelling their planned HQ. You never once articulated what you think Cook should do, besides spilling Apple's entire future product line to investors, or dying, or quitting. You have absolutely nothing to offer.  What an insightful visionary you are. 

And why are you demanding that Apple cancel their new HQ? You realize that wasn't conceived by Cook, right? And that Apple desperately needs a new HQ? But suddenly, they should just completely scrap it because of the current stock price, even when they can easily afford it? How the **** is that a wise long term decision? You make it seem like Apple's n the red. They have $140B in the bank and just pulled in almost $50B of revenue last quarter. Yet they're not allowed to build a new HQ that has been in planning for years? Please enlighten us with the absurdity of your logic. The extent of your plans is to get rid of the CEO and cancel the HQ, and you have provided absolutely nothing in terms of Apple's future strategy beyond that- because you have absolutely no understanding of Apple as a company or how they achieved their success. You're utterly clueless and can therefore only offer rabid, sensational, kneejerk reactions. 

Edited by Slurpy - 4/18/13 at 12:42pm
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

…getting creamed… …never happened before in the history of the world… Nobody has ever seen this happen before.  …getting smoked.  They will all want to move on to someplace they can make money with stock options for their valuable talent… …really, really scary… …bailing…

Any more fearmongering phrases, or are you done for today? 

Seriously. BE. DONE. FOR. TODAY.

He'll be back. He has more adjectives in store...... I am sure he's waiting for his tag-team partner....lol.gif

post #27 of 36
Quote:

Explain me this, if on the largest three US cell network operators (with addition of t-mobile now it is likely on top 4 now), iPhone has more than 50% smartphone share (on AT&T it is actually close to 80%), how come iPhone's market share is less than Androids (52% vs 39%) according to Comscore... ? 
1confused.gif

Android growth peaked jan 2012 and has been slowing since. At that time it was 2-3 x the rate of iPhone growth
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/05/apple-android-comscore/

Also - AT&T plus Verizon plus Sprint is about 2/3rds of cellular market so you need about 2/3rds of this market to get to about 50/50 depending on how long the average use of iPhone vs Android phone.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is your "Really" comment a disagreement with my comment because the rest of your comment is restating what I said in my last sentence?
I define stability as no growth like Android. How do you define stability?
post #29 of 36
Quote:

I didn't literally mean stop talking.  Feel free to say what you want.  I won't call you names or bash you or use expletives.  Where might I ask would Apple come up with over $200 billion to take themselves private and why would shareholders allow them to do so.  Answers...they can't and they won't.

ABC is what I want.  Anybody But Cook.  History lesson.  Steve Jobs has a bad track record at picking CEOs.  In no way shape or form should Cook tell anybody about the product line.  A CEO is paid to create shareholder value.  That is his sole job.  Lets start by doing that.  

The cost of the HQ has ballooned recently.  So if it cost $40 billion, you are cool with that just because it was planned and they can easily afford that?  That doesn't make any sense.  If they need space, while things get re-designed go lease space like every other company in the world.  I'm not saying cancel really, I'm saying spend maybe $1 billion, not $5 billion.  So they can't give the owners of the company any more money in the form of dividends or buybacks, but they can give employees one of the most extravagant office spaces ever built?

The demanded occupancy capacity has more than doubled: so the intial construction estimate is going to go up in line with that. Oldest story in the construction game.

post #30 of 36
Quote:

I didn't literally mean stop talking.  Feel free to say what you want.  I won't call you names or bash you or use expletives.  Where might I ask would Apple come up with over $200 billion to take themselves private and why would shareholders allow them to do so.  Answers...they can't and they won't.

ABC is what I want.  Anybody But Cook.  History lesson.  Steve Jobs has a bad track record at picking CEOs.  In no way shape or form should Cook tell anybody about the product line.  A CEO is paid to create shareholder value.  That is his sole job.  Lets start by doing that.  

The cost of the HQ has ballooned recently.  So if it cost $40 billion, you are cool with that just because it was planned and they can easily afford that?  That doesn't make any sense.  If they need space, while things get re-designed go lease space like every other company in the world.  I'm not saying cancel really, I'm saying spend maybe $1 billion, not $5 billion.  So they can't give the owners of the company any more money in the form of dividends or buybacks, but they can give employees one of the most extravagant office spaces ever built?

Yeah, just as I expected. "Anybody but Cook". You don't have a fucking clue. You're cool with a random person coming in, not having a shred of insight how Apple functions, their DNA, their culture, and just predict they'll do a fantastic job? 

" Steve Jobs has a bad track record at picking CEOs."

What a ridiculous comment. You can't compare Scully to Cook. Scully came from a fucking soda company, knowing nothing about Apple. Cook has been with Apple for a damn long time and has been absolutely instrumental in it's success. Yes, there's a history of outsiders having a shitty affect on Apple and not understanding the company. See Scully, papermaster, John Browett- all pulled from other companies and subsequently crashed and burned. Meanwhile, Jobs HAS a fantastic track-record of attracting talent, and the talent that stayed with Apple have proven to be some of the best of the best. Cook is one of these people, and he was hand chosen by Jobs based on their countless hours spent together. Yet, you're cool with some random duded coming in from the outside to lead Apple, a company that has shown time and time again is unique and does not do well with people coming from the outside with typical management philosophies. This uncaring attitude proves that you actually couldn't care less about the future of Apple, and are simply using this opportunity to repeatedly kick them in the face and hope for the worst. 

"but they can give employees one of the most extravagant office spaces ever built?"

Yes, I think giving Apple's core employees, the people who's work determines the future success of the company, the best possible workspace possible is money well fucking spent, and spent better than distributing dividends that will mean absolutely nothing in the long run and has no guarantee of changing anything. And yeah, because I'm fine with $3-$5B, that means I think $40B for an HQ is reasonable. When you don't have an argument, just put words in to my mouth. I also liked how you randomly pulled $1B out of your ass, and state that Apple should just spent that. Are you 15? Ok then. Also, what the  hell did the last dividend accomplish? And yet that's your solution, as if another dividend will magically fix everything?The fact that you can't see the value of a great HQ, and you have no idea and no care who you'd want to replace Cook- simply that he be gone- speaks volumes about how little you care about Apple's longterm. It shows you're a troll who is giddy about Apple's stock being bruised and would fantasizing about the company being burned to the ground by bringing in some new random management. Apple is currently one of the (if not THE) healthiest companies on the planet.

Under Cook, ALL their metrics are way up. Revenues, profits, customer satisfaction is thorugh the roof, consumer/enterprise/education adoption, usage, adoption in developing countries, taking the biggest chunk of all profits in ALL their respective industries- yet you want to cut off the head because of the stock, which has shown it is the product of manipulation and an agenda, and has no correlation to performance whatsoever. You don't even want to give the company a chance to show the world what it's been working on to see what happens-because that would make too much fucking sense. Better to get rid of the CEO and **** up/delay whatever product roadmap Apple is on, because that will magically fix the stock. Why not fire the rest of Apple's executive team? You know, the team which has remained largely unchanged through all of Apple's explosive success and industry changing products? I'm sure they share blame for the stock too, right? All easily replaced by some bean-counters. It's not like Apple's long term success depends on developing products or anything. No, it just depends on greedy, short-sighted people like you getting some money money in their pockets and thinking they have a clue on how to get that accomplished. 

You joined the forum last month and 100% of your posts have been about the stock and asking for Cook's head. You clearly don't care a whif about the company or its products beyond that, as not a single one of your posts discusses these. You haven't had a single positive thing to say since you registered,and that says alot. You can't give your opinion on what Apple should and shouldn't do when you have absolutely no interest in their products, don't like their products, and therefore don't understand what has made them successful or what will keep them successful. 

Edited by Slurpy - 4/18/13 at 2:02pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:

Small minded, short sighted Wall Street Bullshit.  Your type are dinosaurs, learn to adapt and change before you go extinct. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Give me one logical explanation why Apple's biggest and perhaps longest term shareholders are dumping right before earnings at multi-year lows and I'm gone for the day or heck until Monday.

Maybe because they're stupid? They need the cash? Their investing horizons are too short? They don't think markets are efficient? They think they can get in on any upward bounce and still make a profit assuming the bounce has legs?

Who knows...

post #33 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe because they're stupid? They need the cash? Their investing horizons are too short? They don't think markets are efficient? They think they can get in on any upward bounce and still make a profit assuming the bounce has legs?

Who knows...

Not a great answer, but an answer nonetheless.  Until Monday at the earliest...

What you really mean to say is that it's not an answer you like.

Most of these large institutional investors are as clueless as the average Joe when it comes to investing. I am sure you have seen the abundance of data.

I wouldn't touch most of these guys.

post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Ha, ha, ha, ha! Sorry but this is just too funny! You really want to know and I quote from you "Who are all of these morons that are selling the stock?" Well, YOU are one of these "morons". You just said it and I quote again from you "I'm not holding any AAPL at moment". So, you did have AAPL actions and... sold it, just like "these morons"! lol.gif

I haven't held any AAPL for a while now, since I am not in the business of losing money. I am interested in profit. I've barely touched AAPL in the last 6 months.

The last time that I bought some AAPL, I sold it maybe 10 minutes later. On some days, I've bought AAPL maybe 10 times and sold it 10 times all on the same day. I have two different modes, one is the day trader, and the other is the investor, and as far as investing goes, AAPL has not been a good option lately.

If I happened to be holding AAPL right now, and I was underwater, I would certainly not run around like a scared chicken, selling like some of the fools are currently doing, IMO.

post #35 of 36
Quote:

You are not implying a move to privet are you : ) 

post #36 of 36
Quote:

They have $140 Billion available in cash and could repay a $60 Billion dollar loan with less than one years profit, not revenue PROFIT.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Verizon's 4M iPhone activations in line with expectations, showing Apple's 'stability'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon's 4M iPhone activations in line with expectations, showing Apple's 'stability'